HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Boston have "odd" wingers?

Old
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Does Boston have "odd" wingers?

I've seen this talk on this board, just want to make things clear.
Bruins fans, does your team have more wingers than you need with Horton healthy?
Boston has Seguin, Lucic, Peverley, Marchand and Horton. I think Lucic, Seguin and Marchand are going nowhere, but what about Peverley and Horton? Is it possible that one of them will be traded. If yes, what are your needs?

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Always thought Peverley was a center

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Joel Ward
HFBoards Sponsor

Both Peverley and Seguin are natural centers so I don't think its as much of a "winger problem" as it is an abundance of centers.

Joel Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:24 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I've seen this talk on this board, just want to make things clear.
Bruins fans, does your team have more wingers than you need with Horton healthy?
Boston has Seguin, Lucic, Peverley, Marchand and Horton. I think Lucic, Seguin and Marchand are going nowhere, but what about Peverley and Horton? Is it possible that one of them will be traded. If yes, what are your needs?
The obvious answer is that if there is a trade to be had that upgrades the team without subtracting from it, of course anyone without a NTC is available.

I doubt Horton gets traded for two reason, he was a key scorer and the team was much better offensively with himthan without him. I know from watching the 2011 cup finals that might not be all that apparant,but it is true especially without a guy like Recchi there.

Also I don't see a team giving up a heck of a lot for Horton until he proves he is completely healed from the 2 concussions and the Bruins won't trade him for less than he is worth.

Peverley( I forget whether he has a NTC or not) would be available for an upgrade and that means that the Bruins need to get close to a 60 point player who can play center as well as wing.

I imagine the Bruins would add to a deal involving either player to upgrade, but I don't see the Bruins accepting a quantity for quality type of deal for either player. It just doesn't make sense for them to downgrade at wing, they would be looking to upgrade at wing in my opinion.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:27 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Always thought Peverley was a center
Peverley has been playing winger for Boston, usually with Chris Kelly playing centre. However, it changes because many of our forwards can play centre.

The Bruins are going to try and keep everyone, but if someone has to go it's probably Horton because his expiring contract and injury concerns. It's ashame because he is one of my favourite players on the team.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:29 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post

I imagine the Bruins would add to a deal involving either player to upgrade, but I don't see the Bruins accepting a quantity for quality type of deal for either player. It just doesn't make sense for them to downgrade at wing, they would be looking to upgrade at wing in my opinion.
But even if they trade Peverley for a bette W/C that doesn't change the number of top-6 players they have and it looks like they have one too many.

I think they'd trade the 7th forward for a D of equal quality, no?

Old
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
But even if they trade Peverley for a bette W/C that doesn't change the number of top-6 players they have and it looks like they have one too many.

If they trade Peverley, who is the 3rd line winger to take his place?

Seguin may end up being a 100 point type of guy one of these days, but the Bruins score by committee and one of the reasons they are usually pretty successful is that they have a 3rd line that can compare with a lot of teams 2nd lines. They are very deep and that is their strength, not the top end talent by the forwards.

If you take out Peverley the Bruins have to replace him with a rookie or an AHL player or go out and make another trade to bring in a winger.

The D that the Bruins would be interested in if we are talking about the Caps are the Caps top guys, do the Caps want to trade their any top guys for Peverley and a prospect? I doubt it.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:00 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

You could say they have too many top-6 fowards, that's a better statement. They have the above mentioned plus Krejci and Bergeron.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

If the Bruins were somewhat interested in dumping a center/winger, the Devils would definitely be interested, especially if that forward has top6 capacity. Would Tallinder+ be fair value?

PADevil3034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
If they trade Peverley, who is the 3rd line winger to take his place?

Seguin may end up being a 100 point type of guy one of these days, but the Bruins score by committee and one of the reasons they are usually pretty successful is that they have a 3rd line that can compare with a lot of teams 2nd lines. They are very deep and that is their strength, not the top end talent by the forwards.

If you take out Peverley the Bruins have to replace him with a rookie or an AHL player or go out and make another trade to bring in a winger.
If they trade Peverley they still have Bergeron and Krejci at C and Seguin, Lucic, Horton and Marchand. The point is they have 5 top-6 wingers (or 7 top-6 forwards). I think they could trade one for some help on D.

Talking about who can they get from the Caps for Peverley, what about Orlov? I don't know though. I know my fellow Caps fans are gonna jump on me for just mentioning Orlov on this board.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
If they trade Peverley they still have Bergeron and Krejci at C and Seguin, Lucic, Horton and Marchand. The point is they have 5 top-6 wingers (or 7 top-6 forwards). I think they could trade one for some help on D.

Talking about who can they get from the Caps for Peverley, what about Orlov? I don't know though. I know my fellow Caps fans are gonna jump on me for just mentioning Orlov on this board.
As has been stated, the B's philosophy is to roll 4 lines with offense spread out on the top 3 and even the 4th chipping in more O than is usual. Trading Peverly weakens them there, and as has also been stated, they don't have anyone ready to take his spot.

I like Orlov a lot, and it's totally fair value, but that just creates a hole at W and a surplus at D.

In short, the B's, right now, do NOT have an extra winger. After they see Spooner, Knight, another year of Caron, etc MAYBE they decide they have too many in the offseason but not right now.

Last edited by Dr Quincy: 11-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:59 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
As has been stated, the B's philosophy is to roll 4 lines with offense spread out on the top 3 and even the 4th chipping in more O than is usual. Trading Peverly weakens them there, and as has also been stated, they don't have anyone ready to take his spot.

I like Orlov a lot, and it's totally fair value, but that just creates a hole at W and a surplus at C.

In short, the B's, right now, do NOT have an extra winger. After they see Spooner, Knight, another year of Caron, etc MAYBE they decide they have too many in the offseason but not right now.
Ok, thanks, that's the balanced and explained response I've been looking for.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
That's not exactly a bad problem to have... Our needs are top-4 defensemen and a top line sniper.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
That's not exactly a bad problem to have... Our needs are top-4 defensemen and a top line sniper.
Does Tallinder or Andy Greene from NJ interest you?

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:41 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

The actual value might be ok, but it doesn't make as much sense when you realize that the Bruins don't have a top line with a 100 point center, a 50 goal wing and a 30 goal wing. They have two lines that are better than almost every team's 2nd line but not as good as many first lines offensively so they need to spread out the scoring on 3 lines unless they are going to upgrade to the point where they have 100 point and 50 goal guys. That is a must in order to be one of the better teams in the league.

The Bruins never even got started in the playoffs last year, but Horton and his offense may have meant an added 2 or more goals over the course of that series and if that happened, they just might have won it even though the team didn't show up.

It comes down to needing the offense to move on in the playoffs, the Bruins averaged less goals per game without Horton than with him and it wasn't good enough to get the team through the tough times when they are tired or facing a tough team, the simple math of the situation dictates that they improve, not subtract offense.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Not really, neither is an upgrade on Chara Boychuk Seidenberg or Hamilton. No chance Boston trades Peverly for a dman who would be on their 3rd paring,, not to mention McQuaid & Ference are a very solid 3rd pairing.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
b in vancouver

Unless Caron can consistently show some of the flash he had towards the end of last year I'm of the opinion that they need another top 6 forward capable of 25 goals that they can slot onto the 3rd line. I really think this team misses Savard ( can't be replaced) and when Horton went down last year it really changed the dynamic and forced some of the players into rolls they aren't as suited for.

Ideally they would add a physical winger.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherCorruption View Post
Both Peverley and Seguin are natural centers so I don't think its as much of a "winger problem" as it is an abundance of centers.
Abundance of centers....geez....stop bragging!! LOL

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Not really. B's have 5 dmen and Hamilton can be the 6th. While they may prefer to have another vet dman in there instead for the playoffs, they'd only do some deadline deal for a pick or prospect, not a roster F (unless you are talking about someone like Caron).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Unless Caron can consistently show some of the flash he had towards the end of last year I'm of the opinion that they need another top 6 forward capable of 25 goals that they can slot onto the 3rd line. I really think this team misses Savard ( can't be replaced) and when Horton went down last year it really changed the dynamic and forced some of the players into rolls they aren't as suited for.

Ideally they would add a physical winger.
Definitely... Savard wasn't, (and in our defense, couldn't) be replaced, and it's not exactly easy to cherry pick a 90 point player who's also a top-3 passer in the game off of a tree. Horton is also a huge chemistry player and always comes up in the clutch, and that's something we really needed late into the season last year and more specifically in the playoffs...

I think Caron could definitely hit 20 goals in an 82 game season if he gets enough ice time. Maybe not next year/next 82 game season, but eventually, sure. He got his trust last year when he was our best player when we were a .500 team, and he looks ready to go... He's great defensively, and although he isn't too physical, he has a big body and isn't afraid to use it to his advantage. Claude really likes a guy like that, definitely helps to be friends and training buddies with Bergeron, Claude's wet dream.

A Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin Lucic-Krejci-Horton top-6 is great, but Bergeron, Krejci, and Horton are all pretty brittle, and you can't exactly expect them to be healthy all season long. We definitely need a top-line sniper anyway, a physical 2nd liner would be a great addition as well, slot him on the 3rd line and there's no surprises when someone goes down.

Same goes for defense, McQuaid and Ference are both pretty injury prone, and Hamilton is a rookie. We really suffered with McQuaid out, imagine is Seidenberg or Chara goes... A 1st/2nd pairing tweener would be a great addition as well.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
KovalSNIPE

I've always had a general feeling Horton isn't going to be re-signed. Too many top-6ers in Krejci, Lucic, Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron, with Caron and Spooner in the system (top 6 potential) that will be on the roster full-time sooner rather than later. Also, they have everyone else signed to contracts passed this year so I believe they won't be able to afford him.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Horton could be done, but I'm not a Boston fan and don't really follow that kind of stuff.

At least, it doesn't seem like he'll be the same player.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherCorruption View Post
Not really. Chiarelli's smart and wanted to load up on centers because you never know when a top 6 center goes down and you can't scramble to fill the void. He acquired centers who can also play on the wings for that very reason.

Let me settle this for people because people who don't watch the Bruins seem to have no idea where anybody plays in Boston... I keep seeing Seguin and Peverley mentioned as centers but they almost never play center in Boston unless they're filling in for injury. So here's our lines when all are healthy:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
???-Kelly-Peverley
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

That ??? will probably be Jordan Caron. Horton is still a big question mark. If Horton's out, put another ??? on the top line. Surely you can't see that as an abundance of wingers.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
bb_fan

Quote:

One too many top six forwards?

Is this a serious question?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Caron-Kelly-Peverley
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Where is the odd winger? If anything they need one as Caron has been unimpressive in the AHL and they don't have anyone else ready to step up.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote