HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Replacement players for next season please!

Old
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
and they will get the full 82 game paychcek! What a bunch of dumbasses!
I thought it was understood that any pay this year would be pro-rated.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
So sick of the NHLPA. I will have a hard time cheering for these losers if and when the season starts again. I would rather watch slightly less talented players with heart and still playing for the competitiveness and the love of the game. Lock these *******s out indefinitely.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
So sick of the NHLPA. I will have a hard time cheering for these losers if and when the season starts again. I would rather watch slightly less talented players with heart and still playing for the competitiveness and the love of the game. Lock these *******s out indefinitely.
This being a part of the game i liked yesterday. The AHLers working hard and playing some honest hockey.

Theres really a lot of NHL Players I could care less about watching again.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Baggers

In most cases, I'm usually pro-player, but the NHLPA dismissing the last offer from the league seems completely ridiculous.

I'm now convinced there will be no season. Congratulations players, you win! What do you win? Absolutely nothing.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:05 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Put your money where your mouth is. Oil Kings are still in town, and they're working pretty hard, but attendance is abysmal.

All the people that say they would watch replacement players of SM Liiga quality are BS-ing. If its not Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov, I am not watching... I don't care if they're called the Oilers.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This being a part of the game i liked yesterday. The AHLers working hard and playing some honest hockey.

Theres really a lot of NHL Players I could care less about watching again.
You are watching many NHL players in the AHL. The LEafs have it the other way, they get stuck watching AHL players in the NHL.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:14 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
All the people that say they would watch replacement players of SM Liiga quality are BS-ing. If its not Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov, I am not watching... I don't care if they're called the Oilers.
That's an interesting stance, I look at it the complete opposite. The players come and go, the jersey won't change. (well, except for several ugly 3rds)

Old
11-11-2012, 11:23 PM
ozhenson

Weirdly enough, it isnt the on ice personalities I miss the most; I could easily cope with replacement players. The thing that this lockout has deprived me of the most is high production value in hockey broadcasts.

If I could reliably flip on the TV on any given night and see a TSN broadcast of a hockey game(regardless of league) the hurt of no NHL would go away pretty darn quickly.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:53 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Sounds like agreeing on contract issues is the last thing that remains to put this puppy to bed

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/sp...-in-talks.html

Hopefully its true

Old
11-12-2012, 01:01 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Sounds like agreeing on contract issues is the last thing that remains to put this puppy to bed

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/sp...-in-talks.html

Hopefully its true
Very interesting article it makes it seem like they're so close we haven't actually heard fehr or the union say they have agreed on HRR split and make whole but that doesn't mean they haven't agreed on the issue the thing is they won't agree in public anyway on individual issues fehr mentioned this before the deal must be agreed to in its entirety

I think fehr said today he expects them to meet again soon

Old
11-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Put your money where your mouth is. Oil Kings are still in town, and they're working pretty hard, but attendance is abysmal.

So you didn't watch when it was Strudwick, Brule, Poultony and Stone? I did, we all did. They were still the Edmonton Oilers.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:08 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
So you didn't watch when it was Strudwick, Brule, Poultony and Stone? I did, we all did. They were still the Edmonton Oilers.
You're right

I do think it would be weird if Eberle, Hall and Co. Are locked out and we had replacement players. It definitely wouldn't feel the same. Know what I mean?

I like the points brought up though. It's much more than the players. Its the broadcasts, the jerseys, the cities. It's all part of a bigger product. You're right that I'll watch as soon as they get back though, no doubt about it.

At the same time, I hate feeling like I am taken for granted. Haha such a complex situation!

Old
11-12-2012, 02:21 AM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I think we'll watch whatever hockey is on sportsnet/cbc/tsn etc.. When the Barons were on SNW I was as invested as if it were an Oilers game.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Mr Forever

I'll be sad if we lose all these players too, I've grown an attachment to some of them and I hate some of them, but I'll come running back to the Oilers, not the players on the Oilers.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

The Oilers are the only reason ill be running back to watching hockey whenever it returns. All those years of sucking and to see our team blossom.

If I was a fan of the Flamers, I'd sooooo be swearing off the NHL.

But as of right now, I refuse to buy tickets or merch for 2 years. The NHL told me (a fan) to suck it, I'll tell them to **** off twic!

Old
11-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Sure I would, and I'd prefer it, and I'd relate to the players and know that they're not some primadonna ballerinas that require countless millions just to lace em up.

We're all sick and tired of the spoiled babies act that the NHLPA has become. I think maybe 10% of fans if that are sympathetic of the players "needs".

The trouble is when I watch a game now I'm happy if the guy I'm watching isn't some petulant *******. Its refreshing actually to see normal guys playing the game in the AHL, at U of A, etc.

I don't miss idiots like Ovechkin one bit. Stay away. Good riddance.

If I never saw 500 of these players again I could care less. NHL should threaten to go with replacement players. At a price commensurate with that product I'd support it.
Its the countless 5-10M/yr dinks out there that make me refuse to support NHL hockey.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:06 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

What gets me is the constant attempted grabbing at fan sympathies.

The minimum NHL salary is ten times the median household salary in the United States. You want me to feel sorry that 11% of what you make will go into escrow for a couple years?

I mean, an owner win has always been in the fans best interests. In every lockout. The most famous PA win in major sports (courtesy of Don Fehr) broke the game of baseball so completely that I don't even see the point in chearing for anyone but a scant few teams.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:15 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
I'm one of those guys that's kind of notorious with my group of friends for having a hate for certain players, and when I go to games I tend to ride them like crazy. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending more time yelling at players for being jerks then actually watching the next game I go to. Especially Whitney. I like to sit behind the opposing bench so I can hollar at them, but I think I'm going to get tickets behind the Oil bench next time just to yell at Whitney and Horcoff for being knobs during this lockout.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

NBA much more entertaining than the NHL right now (obv), but found myself enjoying the coaching and roster changes and some surprising teams.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Oilerz

[QUOTE=SK13;55716653]What gets me is the constant attempted grabbing at fan sympathies.

The minimum NHL salary is ten times the median household salary in the United States. You want me to feel sorry that 11% of what you make will go into escrow for a couple years?

I mean, an owner win has always been in the fans best interests. In every lockout. The most famous PA win in major sports (courtesy of Don Fehr) broke the game of baseball so completely that I don't even see the point in chearing for anyone but a scant few teams.[/QUOTE]

Not argueing, but how did it break baseball?

Old
11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Fehr told the panel that three issues remain to be solved: the split of money, player contract rights and who pays for the damage caused by the lockout

Who pays for the damage caused by the lockout. How about both sides split 50-50 on it for being greedy pigs!!

Old
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

[QUOTE=Oilerz;55718431]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
What gets me is the constant attempted grabbing at fan sympathies.

I mean, an owner win has always been in the fans best interests. In every lockout. The most famous PA win in major sports (courtesy of Don Fehr) broke the game of baseball so completely that I don't even see the point in chearing for anyone but a scant few teams.[/QUOTE]

It created fan apathy and destroyed small market teams, most notably the Montreal Expos. Since the strike, the Expos a decade of slow and agonizing death.

Mark my words, the consequences of what we saw in baseball post strike will be eerily similar if the 2012-13 NHL season is cancelled. People are naive to think the fans will come back in droves after this lockout ends.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Master Lok

[QUOTE=Blue And Orange;55719343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post

It created fan apathy and destroyed small market teams, most notably the Montreal Expos. Since the strike, the Expos a decade of slow and agonizing death.

Mark my words, the consequences of what we saw in baseball post strike will be eerily similar if the 2012-13 NHL season is cancelled. People are naive to think the fans will come back in droves after this lockout ends.
Then so be it. If that happens, it happens. Crying doesn't make a difference. some teams will fold, fewer players in the NHL. It's not exactly a bold prediction.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:14 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post

Fehr and co. kept a salary cap out of baseball. Now the Yankees and the Red Sox and their ilk can outspend any other franchise, by amounts that make the 2003 Oilers look like they were on par with the 2003 Rangers, and it's made it virtually impossible for some teams to make the playoffs.

I mean, the whole reason the whole A's/Moneyball thing happened was because Oakland couldn't afford to compete and needed to find another way to win. And even then, no championships and no long-term success to rival the big spenders.

Closed Thread