HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIV - November Rain

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
I just like hearing that from Dano. Considering older players like O'Donnell saying he will sacrifice his career for this lockout because older guys sacrificed theirs for his. I really don't know what he meant by that since he's now been a part of 3 lockouts. Besides that POS is done whether the lockout ends today or not. No one wants a pathetic wash up like him anyway. Shoulda retired after the 01 SCF.

Other older guys have said the same thing, and I can't grasp this.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Is that really Luongo or is it just BELIEVED to be Luongo?

Strombone1 is not verified and he does have an "official" twitter on a different accoun.
It's Luongo or it's a GENIUS parody account run by him and some other Canucks (Kesler/Bieksa). Been following it for a year and there's just no way some of those tweets aren't Luongo.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I like Dano but it's easy for him to say that now. He wouldn't have 'gone off the reservation' against the union if he was still playing.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
MachoDiablo

Latest video of fan reaction to the lockout:

Old
11-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
According to Jeff Klien of the New York Times the only major stumbling block left is contractual rights. HRR/Make whole and Revenue sharing is a "spitting distance" away from being done.

"We're basically there"- PA union delegate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/sp...=tw-share&_r=0
Good, get it done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Damn it. I used to hate Luongo too.
I know, it's difficult to dislike him when he says some of the things he does on Twitter.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I like Dano but it's easy for him to say that now. He wouldn't have 'gone off the reservation' against the union if he was still playing.
I doubt he would have said that if he were playing. Though I gotta think there's some guys that do wanna play, and aren't happy with Fehr. No one's gonna go public with it though.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:54 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

If we were basically there they'd still be in a room. Funny how the whole CBA was about HRR, now it's about the owners' ridiculous five-year contract limit and scaling back FA. If the ****ing owners would give the players SOME tangible improvement over the prior CBA to justify the givebacks elsewhere this could get done though, but they're too ****ing greedy for that.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
If we were basically there they'd still be in a room. Funny how the whole CBA was about HRR, now it's about the owners' ridiculous five-year contract limit and scaling back FA. If the ****ing owners would give the players SOME tangible improvement over the prior CBA to justify the givebacks elsewhere this could get done though, but they're too ****ing greedy for that.
If they are at 50:50, the NHL gave the PA plenty of "tangible improvements" but they want to stop cap circumventing deals which im sure the PA doesnt want to give in on very easily.

Nothing wrong with a 5-10% maximum increase/decrease per year but that pushes money for the player into the 8, 9, 10th yr of contracts and some contracts are clearly designed to not pay anything of significance in those seasons because the player has reached likely retirement age.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
VaxjoDevil

Yes, people argue over money. Is that morally wrong just because we had a devastating storm? I don't understand why it would be.

With the same logic, we can go "people starve to death every day but people are more upset with an NHL lockout. So selfish".

Old
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

So true vaxjo. i havent eaten since 1pm and my stomach has devoured my intestines by now. If i dont food soon, it will be the end of njdevsfn95. And i dont even know if the Neverending Story really has no end.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
VaxjoDevil

Go eat something!

Now, Luongo is really hilarious.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/11...n-hate-tweets/

Old
11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
If they are at 50:50, the NHL gave the PA plenty of "tangible improvements" but they want to stop cap circumventing deals which im sure the PA doesnt want to give in on very easily.

Nothing wrong with a 5-10% maximum increase/decrease per year but that pushes money for the player into the 8, 9, 10th yr of contracts and some contracts are clearly designed to not pay anything of significance in those seasons because the player has reached likely retirement age.
50-50 is NOT an improvement for the players compared to the last CBA, it's only an improvement over the owners' even bigger previous cash grab offers. I don't love the players but if you're a player it's hard to justify a deal that has ZERO improvements for you and 100% improvements for the owners.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
VaxjoDevil

Once the league starts, I wonder if the fans could do something to make a statement. Like "lock out the NHL and the players of our lives for the first game", aka nobody goes to the first game. Imagine NHL coming back and they have to play the first game in empty arenas. Both owners and players would take notice.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
50-50 is NOT an improvement for the players compared to the last CBA, it's only an improvement over the owners' even bigger previous cash grab offers. I don't love the players but if you're a player it's hard to justify a deal that has ZERO improvements for you and 100% improvements for the owners.
I never said it was an improvement. What I said was if the players are agreeing to this then they are getting tangible improvement elsewhere. We'll have to see a completed CBA to find out all the little things.

Contract issues need to be worked out to avoid circumvention. The problem is cap-circumventing contracts are gold mines for the players that can get them and the bain of existence for the owners that cant afford to hand them out.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Once the league starts, I wonder if the fans could do something to make a statement. Like "lock out the NHL and the players of our lives for the first game", aka nobody goes to the first game. Imagine NHL coming back and they have to play the first game in empty arenas. Both owners and players would take notice.
Trouble is, there's no way we could get organised enough for that, and the Canadian teams wouldn't even notice because they'd still manage a packed house.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post

I'm starting to side with the owners more with each passing day. I don't even understand the point of this lockout anymore.
I was on the owners side from day 1.

The Union's fault is pure greed, the owner's fault is stupidity with a dash of incompetence.

Easy to fault them both, and deservedly so, but the NHLPA is far more to blame for why there's no hockey being played on 11/12/12.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Trouble is, there's no way we could get organised enough for that, and the Canadian teams wouldn't even notice because they'd still manage a packed house.
Well...Hockey *is* basically their #1 sport.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I never said it was an improvement. What I said was if the players are agreeing to this then they are getting tangible improvement elsewhere. We'll have to see a completed CBA to find out all the little things.

Contract issues need to be worked out to avoid circumvention. The problem is cap-circumventing contracts are gold mines for the players that can get them and the bain of existence for the owners that cant afford to hand them out.
All that said, they're using a machine gun to shoot a couple of bees. If you take out the ability to have wild fluctations inside of long contracts and limit signing bonuses then you don't also need to restrict length of the contract as well, at least not to five years long - that's a bit draconian. The biggest reason for having 10+ year contracts IS the wild fluctuations and signing bonuses. Close those loopholes and the 10+ year deal will go the way of the dodo bird. Only Crosby and Ovechkin have legit 10+ year deals without silly cap gift years.

If you want to restrict contract lengths to 7-8 years because of insurance and whatnot, fine with me. Five years is just silly, it's begging the players to protect the owners from themselves. It also ensures you're on your 'fourth' contract by the time you get to FA if ELC's are two years and you don't get FA until after eight seasons.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Old
11-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Golf clap apparently for Bettman tonight.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Recently Modano came out with statements expressing regret for lost 2005 season and desire to see NHL/NHLPA come to agreement and then today we got

Quote:
Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
Time has come, Mark Recchi believes, for players to finalize deal and get back to work.

Recchi: 'No matter what the contract, the owners always find a way to pay them more. That's why I say, get a deal and get back in there.'

Had Kelly remained union boss, Recchi feels, bargaining would have begun long ago, lockout avoided. Kelly's ouster a 'dark time' for NHLPA

Sucks that no one in NHLPA seems to listen to him , Modano or any other former NHLPA member that isn't a hawk like Lindros or the few ex NHL players that Fehr seems to have surrounded himself with (Some of whom were instrumental in the coup against Kelly)

Old
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
MachoDiablo

Thing is, I completely understand the players wanting to get a pound of flesh by bringing in a monster like Fehr; the PA was raked over the coals during the last lockout, and the owners went into this one essentially treating it the same way...which was ridiculous, since the issues at hand were much less significant than last time. They weren't implementing something as gigantic as the cap this time.

Problem being, I highly doubt they come out of this much better off than they would've been without Fehr.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I don't think all the players fully understood what they were getting into when they brought Fehr in to bargain for them.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't think all the players fully understood what they were getting into when they brought Fehr in to bargain for them.
They're even dumber hicks than they get credit for if they didn't understand what bringing in Fehr meant. All you had to do is take a five-minute look at his MLB track record. He's just as big an obstructionist as Bettman is. Like Bleed said a while back, he's a union thug or whatever other term he used.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Recchi said exactly what I said when they started cancelling games (I'm not complaining about that). The owners were giving them 50% so they could try and save a 82 game season. Now that they can't, I don't expect their terms (whether it be the 50% or other aspects of the CBA) to be better than that offer. And it will continue to get worse as more games get canceled.

Closed Thread