HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Peter Holland vs Nazem Kadri

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
I watched him three times last season. Once near the beginning and two in the later half. In only 1/3 he looked effective.
Is that unusual for a rookie?

Old
11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Ridiculous. First of all, the stats are being heavily skewed because of the 8 game totals from this year. The Marlies have been playing poorly while Norfolk is doing well, before this year Kadri had the higher PPG in the AHL. The entire team is doing poor statistically except for Gardiner.
That seems a strange thing to hold against Holland... he's been the best forward on a team that is doing well, and that works against him? I would think that would be a feather in his cap.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That seems a strange thing to hold against Holland... he's been the best forward on a team that is doing well, and that works against him? I would think that would be a feather in his cap.
He also carried a team that had been written off from playoff contention, and had lost Bonino and Palmieri for long stretches, to a playoff spot as a rookie.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I watched him three times last season. Once near the beginning and two in the later half. In only 1/3 he looked effective.
Doesn't it strike you a little as hypocrisy to make a judgement based on 3 games, while trying to dismiss Anaheim fan's opinions because of limited viewings?

Old
11-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

I'm a Leafs fan and a Kadri fan.

Right now though

Holland > Kadri

I live in Guelph I watched Holland and Kadri, Holland is just a much more complete player.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Kadri has been receiving praise this year from his coach Dallas Eakins for his commitment to defensive play. Any ducks fan commenting on his defensive struggles carry no merit. I can guarantee many of them haven't watched a Marlies game this year to make a first hand evaluation like many leaf fans have.

Personally, I take Kadri. He's ready for some minutes in the NHL and possesses the dynamic skill to take him to the next level in a top 6 role. I see Holland more as a third line center that can occasionally plug into the second if need be.
Kadri is absolutely a defensive liability, and imo, always will be, based on the way he plays hockey. He's also a wizard with the puck in the offensive zone, and far more creative than Holland. Prospects have faults, even your favorite ones. I've watched him play more than 30 times since he turned pro, it's not hard to see.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:39 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Strokes View Post
Kadri is absolutely a defensive liability, and imo, always will be, based on the way he plays hockey. He's also a wizard with the puck in the offensive zone, and far more creative than Holland. Prospects have faults, even your favorite ones. I've watched him play more than 30 times since he turned pro, it's not hard to see.
leafs need to take kadri because of his offense, imo kadri has been making better decisions and has had less turn overs in the 3 games ive seen this year. Really like holland as he seems to bring everything to the table but i would not trade him for kadri

Old
11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
leafs need to take kadri because of his offense, imo kadri has been making better decisions and has had less turn overs in the 3 games ive seen this year. Really like holland as he seems to bring everything to the table but i would not trade him for kadri
I completely understand this sentiment and I would never argue against that line of thought.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:12 PM
sniper81

Quote:
I completely understand this sentiment and I would never argue against that line of thought.
I also understand not wanting to trade a more complete player for a higher risk high reward.
Nice talking to you ducks fans, to bad norfolk doesn't play in toronto this year (or it appears to be that way unless i am missing something) or i would of had a chance to give some feed back

Old
11-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I also understand not wanting to trade a more complete player for a higher risk high reward.
Nice talking to you ducks fans, to bad norfolk doesn't play in toronto this year (or it appears to be that way unless i am missing something) or i would of had a chance to give some feed back
That would be nice! These AHL feeds are making my eyes bleed.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
It's close but I'd pick Holland out of the two of them, safer pick imo and he has shown lots of progression. That said, I think Kadri is getting underrated when it comes to physical play. He did have over 100 PIM in his final junior year and did deliver some pretty big hits. I think he could play a more aggressive role on the Marlies but that's not what he is being asked to do.
With the right strengthening he'll be able to make this hits, he's already stronger with the puck than before and using his body effectively to get hits in. I know last game he was a bit too eager and got called for charging.
Quote:
You're going to make me recite games I've watched last season? I buy AHL games in 10 game packages and purchase games I think are worth watching.

Kadri and Holland are very different players. Which is why this is an interesting debate. On one hand, Holland is a safe bet to make the NHL as a third liner, with some upside. On the other hand, Kadri has the skill to play a top 6, possibly top line role. He has work to do however to put it all together.

As a leaf fan, our perennial mediocrity forces me to choose Kadri 10/10 times. The main reason being we need top 6 dynamic talent, not third line grit - something our team is full of. If it means going for the green in two rather then laying up, I'm all for it.
You are underestimating Holland. Holland's absolute worst case would be a third liner, while atm all points he can be a very solid second liner, perhaps if all goes well and to the point where he was projecting, a 1B center.

Quote:
I don't know when was the last time you watched the Marlies but Kadri is pretty reliable defensively and is playing in the PK more than usual even after last year we had one of the best PK in the league. I haven't seen make any mistakes either compared to when he first joined the marlies. If you are talking about the Leafs call up, even then if you noticed in his last call up he was barely made those silly mistakes where people were calling him out on.

11-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Holland.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Impressive

Nice debate going on here.

Still too early to have a definitive assessment of either player. Best to wait until they've had five years in the NHL before doing that, but it's still interesting to track their progression.

Cheers.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Van Horne View Post
Nice debate going on here.

Still too early to have a definitive assessment of either player. Best to wait until they've had five years in the NHL before doing that, but it's still interesting to track their progression.

Cheers.

I'm definitely curious for sure, many were touting holland as a second coming of getzlaf. Not to mention I am a huge fan of his as well as Kadri's.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
SarcazemKadri

I admit to underestimating Holland, however I can't see him as a first line talent. 3rd liner for sure, top 6 potential. I can however see Kadri as a first liner when he matures. He has that dynamic creativity you seek on the first line, just doesn't have the strength yet. A lot of players with his skill set take a little longer; Ribeiro, Giroux etc as examples.

If we could only attach Kadri's hands to Holland's body..

Also - no I don't think Kadri will be nearly as good as Giroux, it just takes longer in to develop smaller, offensively gifted players.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:57 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post

I'm definitely curious for sure, many were touting holland as a second coming of getzlaf. Not to mention I am a huge fan of his as well as Kadri's.
I think the hopes were that he'd slide into the #2 spot behind Getz. Anyone thinking he'd be taking Getzlaf's spot was just kidding themselves or had no clue.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:

I dont remember any Ducks fans saying that he was going to amount to anything Getzlaf had. He is just a very similar player playing for the same organization. Same size, same shot with the MAJOR exception that Holland actually uses his amazing shot.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Any comparisons to Getzlaf were in regards to playing style. Some people called Holland a kind of Getzlaf-lite player. Over time, I think those comparisons have changed, because Holland's game has evolved.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Paul4587

Quote:

Not so much a second coming of Getzlaf but he has a very simlar skillset. Great hands, great wrister (Holland seems much more willing to use his shot though) and is roughly the same size. The difference is Getzlaf has a mean streak, elite playmaking skills and vision where as Holland doesn't. Holland is the faster skater of the two though.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:19 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Holland has sick hands and a great shot, i'm very impressed w/his start this year!!

Old
11-12-2012, 05:32 PM
birddog*

Hooray...let's have another pissing contest. Call me in 5 years and I'll tell you who's better. Until then carry on...

Old
11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Hooray...let's have another pissing contest. Call me in 5 years and I'll tell you who's better. Until then carry on...

Read the thread next time. That isn't what this is.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Kershaw

Holland AINEC.

Should be a solid 2nd line center.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
AngelDuck

I'm starting to buy in to the Holland as a 2C thing. Haven't seen enough of Kadri play to make an educated judgement of him

Old
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I used to be nervous about Holland as well but I really like how he's coming along. Him and Palmieri ended up being great picks. When I saw him in his last stint in Anaheim I thought he wasn't really out of place he just needed to work on his game to bring more to the table. I'm starting to see he's got the tools needed now.

Didn't know this but after today's game he's tied for 3rd in AHL scoring with Foligno, Boychuk, Faulk, and Newbury (Palmieri tied for fourth) and he's only 1 point behind Nyquist and 2 behind Schultz.

Closed Thread