HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Seems like ESPN thinks the Phillies could try to acquire Micheal Cuddyer from the Rockies. They say if we dangle one of our top pitching prospects, the Rockies might take on some of his salary too. Wouldn't mind him, but want B.J. and Justin Upton. Pipedream I know, but would be great.
Don't want to give up a top prospect for Cuddyer. Phils would be wise to stop trading away prospects and start developing them. Utley, Howard, Hamels all guys from the system. Re-build it.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Don't want to give up a top prospect for Cuddyer. Phils would be wise to stop trading away prospects and start developing them. Utley, Howard, Hamels all guys from the system. Re-build it.
They are clearly in win mode right now though. Developing these players is going to take time, they want it now. I understand people could say we should just rebuild it all instead of trying to win now, but management believes we have a chance to win it all with the pitching we have, so they will not be going that route IMO.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:06 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I hate everyone that makes a fake twitter and posts fake signings and trades.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I hate everyone that makes a fake twitter and posts fake signings and trades.
Wait Josh Hamilton didn't sign a 5 year $122 million deal? Really come on, I just bought the jersey.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Seems like ESPN thinks the Phillies could try to acquire Micheal Cuddyer from the Rockies. They say if we dangle one of our top pitching prospects, the Rockies might take on some of his salary too. Wouldn't mind him, but want B.J. and Justin Upton. Pipedream I know, but would be great.
Averaged slightly above .800 OPS over the last 4 seasons (and 2 seasons) and only has lost his team just shy of 6 runs/season on defense in RF throughout his career. It would be a nice pickup if Colorado eats some salary and Biddle's name is nowhere near the negotiations, imo.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:01 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Olney says we're in on Hamilton and Ross. Says the Phillies don't mind giving Hamilton a high AAV bu don't wan to go term with him. That's something I wouldn't mind.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Dude, if we can't win the WS with our current lineup plus Josh Hamilton then we just can't win period

Old
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Harper wins ROTY. Huh. Thought Miley should've

Old
11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
No Josh Hamilton please!

Old
11-12-2012, 06:46 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
Dude, if we can't win the WS with our current lineup plus Josh Hamilton then we just can't win period
Devil's advocate: If we can't win the WS with Halladay-Lee-Hamels-Oswalt for a rotation then we just can't win period.

For once in your career, be responsible Rube!

Old
11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
No Josh Hamilton please!
Agreed. In a fantasy world, yeah I would want him on my team for 3 years, but I don't see it happening. He's not really a good CF (neither are Cabrera and Ross), which is what this team needs, especially if Ruf is our LF. I just don't want another long term burden on a 30+ year old player. Texas is one of the best run organizations in the league and if they are only willing to give him a 3 year deal, you know something's up.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
The Blue Jays are on the verge of acquiring Josh Johnson from the Marlins, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Toronto will also land Mark Buehrle in the trade, sources tell Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link) and Morosi. The Marlins will receive Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavarria in return, Rosenthal tweets.

One source tells Morosi that Jose Reyes may also be headed to Toronto in the trade (Twitter link). That part of the deal is not yet confirmed but there will be more pieces outside of Johnson, Buehrle, Escobar, and Hechavarria in the swap, Rosenthal tweets.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...WJB67Bu2yKU.99

11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
This trade sounds crazy. Hope RAJ can make some type of trade, dont want them doing much in FA. If the Marlins are going firesale, I would trade everything in the organization for Mike Stanton. problem is that other teams have much more to offer.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

JJ, Bonafacio, Reyes, Buck, Buerhle all heading to TOR.

Still waiting to here what pieces coming back were worth the firesale. Poor Giancarlo/Mike Stanton.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
This trade sounds crazy. Hope RAJ can make some type of trade, dont want them doing much in FA. If the Marlins are going firesale, I would trade everything in the organization for Mike Stanton. problem is that other teams have much more to offer.
They won't trade Stanton. He's cheap and the face of the franchise. They are just cutting there loses early by getting rid of the high priced guys like Hanley, Bell, and now Buehrle, Johnson, and Reyes. Looks like they are trying to get all the Cubans (Escobar and Hechavarria) . But seriously Toronto is a good team to trade with. Their farm system is stacked (partly thanks to the Phillies). Can't imagine Reyes would be too happy going to Toronto though. The Marlins are doing the right thing IMO. They were not good enough to compete and their farm system was lacking.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Marlins got so hosed it's ****ing embarrassing.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:56 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Marlins got so hosed it's ****ing embarrassing.
How? They traded guys with big contracts who have seen better days. Are the Marlins better today? No, but they weren't competing this year anyway. They clear payroll and get some decent and much needed prospects. That's how you do a rebuild. You gotta suck before you can get good. Look at the Nationals and the Marlins of the early 2000s to an extent.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

The Marlins will get Marisnick or Anthony Gose, as well as a catcher in either J.P. Arencibia, Bobby Wilson or Jeff Mathis, Morosi tweets.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#4LFbdsmYD84lKHXv.99

Old
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

#Marlins opened season with a payroll of roughly $100MM. After this trade, non-arb 2013 obligations will be ~ $16MM. Historic salary dump. - @jonmorosi

Old
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
FLYguy3911

They got:
Yunel Escobar- a decent Cuban shortstop
Adeiny Hechavarria- a promising young SS almost Big League ready also Cuban
Henderson Alvarez- a decent young pitcher that can throw a lot of innings and will benefit from the big park
Jake Marisnick-a pretty high end OF prospect
Justin Nicolino- a pretty good lefty handed pitching prospect

....and most importantly, a lot of money off the books.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:47 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Baseball has some of the strangest salary dump deals. This and the Red Sox trade are just nuts

Old
11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I don't care if they got decent prospects. The franchise itself is a joke.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
They won't trade Stanton. He's cheap and the face of the franchise. They are just cutting there loses early by getting rid of the high priced guys like Hanley, Bell, and now Buehrle, Johnson, and Reyes. Looks like they are trying to get all the Cubans (Escobar and Hechavarria) . But seriously Toronto is a good team to trade with. Their farm system is stacked (partly thanks to the Phillies). Can't imagine Reyes would be too happy going to Toronto though. The Marlins are doing the right thing IMO. They were not good enough to compete and their farm system was lacking.
Stanton is going to be traded. He's not going to play for the Marlins anymore. He's already voiced his displeasure over the trade on twitter and changed his picture on there from him in Marlins gear to just a picture of him. He's not happy and I wouldn't be either.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:32 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I don't know how anyone could defend that deal. Prospects aside, it is another nail in the coffin for the Marlins being considered a cheap franchise. You signed those guys to massive deals, you got taxpayer money to build a new stadium, you would think that maybe you give it more than a year to play out?

Old
11-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I don't know how anyone could defend that deal. Prospects aside, it is another nail in the coffin for the Marlins being considered a cheap franchise. You signed those guys to massive deals, you got taxpayer money to build a new stadium, you would think that maybe you give it more than a year to play out?
It's what they do. They'll wind up winning a WS in like 3-4 years and then they'll trade all their players again.

Closed Thread