HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Norfolk at Albany

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  #151
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,479
vCash: 500
Soft?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  #152
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,184
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
How so? Albany outplayed them despite having 6 less pps
It was Albany's fault they had 6 less PP's, and because Norfolk would have blown a 2 goal lead due to sloppy play.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
  #153
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Soft?
Yes?

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:19 PM
  #154
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,184
vCash: 50
I don't really see how the Norfolk team is soft.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
  #155
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't really see how the Norfolk team is soft.
I don't really see how they're not.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  #156
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,479
vCash: 500
You really are Dirk.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  #157
Admiral Al
Registered User
 
Admiral Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
its also sloppy goaltending with weak goals
Well hard to stop 46 shots on goal, maybe someone should take that into cosideration the coach talked about it saying they should probably have lost some of the games they won, I see they are almost last in the league in shot allowed. This is usually due to defensemen who play to lose in the d zone and forwards who dont backcheck hard. Going to be a LONG SEASON here in Norfolk

Admiral Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
  #158
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
You really are Dirk.
You really are Sojourn. This is a fun game.

Do you have an argument, or is incredulity the extent of your ability here?

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
  #159
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
Well hard to stop 46 shots on goal, maybe someone should take that into cosideration the coach talked about it saying they should probably have lost some of the games they won, I see they are almost last in the league in shot allowed. This is usually due to defensemen who play to lose in the d zone and forwards who dont backcheck hard. Going to be a LONG SEASON here in Norfolk
Hey, at least it will be a high-scoring one. Lots of 4-3 games to go around.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
  #160
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Eh, they'll get better as the season goes along I bet. Young guys like Vatanen and Lindholm are going to improve (actually I don't know if Lindholm will improve because he's already quite good)

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
  #161
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Eh, they'll get better as the season goes along I bet. Young guys like Vatanen and Lindholm are going to improve (actually I don't know if Lindholm will improve because he's already quite good)
Lindholm just seems like a guy with a tremendous reserve of skill. I do think he can get a lot better, which is exciting.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
  #162
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Lindholm just seems like a guy with a tremendous reserve of skill. I do think he can get a lot better, which is exciting.
I think so too. But he's already either the best or second best defenseman on the team. The only guy that might have an argument is Guenin.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
  #163
Gibson Les Palms
Registered User
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,517
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I can't wait until Holland and Palmieri are Ducks. They're doing great.
I agree. They were struggling a bit in the first two periods, but then turned it on in the third. It could have been because of fatigue though. I haven't been this excited for forward prospects in a while.

Gibson Les Palms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
  #164
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,184
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
I don't really see how they're not.
You could try watching the games. They don't play like a soft team. They may not be a physically intimidating team, but soft? That's just a bunch of crap.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
  #165
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,184
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
You really are Sojourn. This is a fun game.

Do you have an argument, or is incredulity the extent of your ability here?
The same could be said of you here. Where is your argument?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
  #166
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I think so too. But he's already either the best or second best defenseman on the team. The only guy that might have an argument is Guenin.
That's my instinct, too. Guenin is probably the most reliable defender down there now, but only because of a bit of experience.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
  #167
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You could try watching the games. They don't play like a soft team. They may not be a physically intimidating team, but soft? That's just a bunch of crap.
I do watch. They do play like a soft team. They most certainly are not physically intimidating. Calling them soft is not a bunch of crap.

There. Conclusory statements that cancel each other out. Anything else?

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
  #168
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,741
vCash: 708
What's the word on Smaby? When will he return? He'll add experience, size, a mean streak and simply defensive ability in general to Norfolk's backend when he returns.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
  #169
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,184
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
I do watch. They do play like a soft team. They most certainly are not physically intimidating. Calling them soft is not a bunch of crap.

There. Conclusory statements that cancel each other out. Anything else?
Wonderful argument.

You called them tissue soft, which is a ridiculous statement. There are a few players who are exceptions to this, such as Lasch and Vatanen, but in general they have matched up with other teams just fine physically. Their on-ice issues lie in the defensive zone, with inconsistent defense, and inconsistent goaltending.

You seem to be expecting them to be the 2006-2007 Ducks in the physical department, and anything less is "soft".

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
  #170
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
What's the word on Smaby? When will he return? He'll add experience, size, a mean streak and simply defensive ability in general to Norfolk's backend when he returns.
Well Parent's PTO was in response to Smaby's injury, wasn't it? Do PTOs have a set expiration in terms of games or days?

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
  #171
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,479
vCash: 500
How did the pairing of Clark and Lindholm look today?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
  #172
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Their on-ice issues lie in the defensive zone, with inconsistent defense, and inconsistent goaltending.
No. Matching hit for hit is not the same as being not soft, not to me. And their problems are more than in the defensive end - their attack is predictable and their execution on attack lacks determination. Players are often late in driving the net and there is weak support for the puck carrier. Which is itself partially symptomatic of a soft team - one that won't fight for space in transition or in the crease.

Quote:
You seem to be expecting them to be the 2006-2007 Ducks in the physical department, and anything less is "soft".
To twist Adam Savage's words, I reject your straw man and substitute my own: You seem to think that a player who occasionally makes contact is not soft; and expecting anything more is "ridiculous" and a "bunch of crap."

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
  #173
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Is there any way we could get Fasth eligible for the AHL?

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
  #174
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,741
vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Is there any way we could get Fasth eligible for the AHL?
Fasth won't be back from injury until december anyways... Also, Andersen was just as good as Fasth in the SEL last season and should be a very competent AHL starter. Just give it more time.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
  #175
Carelton CA
Registered User
 
Carelton CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
I hate to rain on the parade here and I am happy that Palmieri and Holland have picked back up offensively where they left off. Both at the top of the team stats offensively and have a scorers touch for sure, vital guys to have in shoot outs. Now the elephant in the room, the plus/minus on these guys.

Both guys need to care about the D end as much as they care about the other end. Defensively we have some guys that are not getting it done. Plus/Minus is an even strength stat and the same guys getting the PP points are the same guys at the bottom of the plus/minus list. Sami, although he had a tough one today with a -4, is now a -3. At least he was plus before today. Until today he has not been all that bad even strength in the D end. Maybe I'm an old time hockey guy, but I just think if you get the majority of the PP time, you should also be held responsible for your effort in the D end.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....id=-1&confId=0

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.