HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Subway Series Continued...

Old
11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

vCash: 500
Leivo's definitely making a case for himself.

He's been great in both games.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

In this series what does everyone feel is more important, the OHL, WHL and QJMHL teams coming in rested, or the Russian team building chemistry over the course of the series?

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
In this series what does everyone feel is more important, the OHL, WHL and QJMHL teams coming in rested, or the Russian team building chemistry over the course of the series?
Russian chemistry.

The games are far enough apart that they get a break, and the players playing for WHL/OHL/QMJHL still have their own teams games too so it's not like they have this whole time off.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Leivo's definitely making a case for himself.

He's been great in both games.
Quickly becoming one of my favourite prospects.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Russian chemistry.

The games are far enough apart that they get a break, and the players playing for WHL/OHL/QMJHL still have their own teams games too so it's not like they have this whole time off.
So if that is the case, is it safe the say the O/W/Q>> The Russians?

I mean if you're saying they have a big chemistry advantage and still aren't winning (yes I know they have a win against the O this year, but its the first ever), doesn't that say something? Also from what I see it is all Russians vs 3 Canadian squads.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
So if that is the case, is it safe the say the O/W/Q>> The Russians?

I mean if you're saying they have a big chemistry advantage and still aren't winning (yes I know they have a win against the O this year, but its the first ever), doesn't that say something? Also from what I see it is all Russians vs 3 Canadian squads.
To further, it seems like the Russians should do better, and you would think that this shows Canada has a large skill gap going into the World Jrs.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:58 PM
VanW27

Quote:
To further, it seems like the Russians should do better, and you would think that this shows Canada has a large skill gap going into the World Jrs.
The Russians sent what looks to be their WJ team (for the most part) this year but that hasn't been the case in previous years.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

It's aard to look at thatsquad and sub anyone for the WJC's. this pretty much resembles the lineup, i think.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
The Russians sent what looks to be their WJ team (for the most part) this year but that hasn't been the case in previous years.
If this is their World Jr squad, not even home ice advantage will save them. Canada gets to choose the best players from these 3 teams and maybe some CHL/NHL guys.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
If this is their World Jr squad, not even home ice advantage will save them. Canada gets to choose the best players from these 3 teams and maybe some CHL/NHL guys.
Hey, from one of your earlier posts; I don't think the CHL teams aren't coming in rested, I was under the impression these guys all played over the weekend with their OHL teams.

It should be a strong squad for Canada. Someone posted the WHL roster earlier and their top 4 looked like it would be good enough. Thats with Hamilton playing in Boston.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Is the WJC going to be on Olympic / European sized ice?

Who was in the final last year?

Who was in the final the year before?

Any country dominating right now, or has it been something like, Canada, USofA, Russia, Sweden the past 4 years?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Is the WJC going to be on Olympic / European sized ice?

Who was in the final last year?

Who was in the final the year before?

Any country dominating right now, or has it been something like, Canada, USofA, Russia, Sweden the past 4 years?
I am just going off the play I am seeing and assuming (I know never assume) Russia would be the team for us to beat.

But being hockey any team can win at any time.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Interactif

Thoughts on the game last night:

- Percy is going to be a solid, unsung type of D man in the NHL, not physical, but very efficient with his stick and positioning. Notice he was out against Yakupov for a lot of the game and he shut him down.

- Leivo, not sure of his scoring touch at the NHL level, but he seems to around the puck a lot, gets in the way of the opposition, kept the puck in the zone a few times last night. Promising prospect that is still developing.

- Doug Hamilton, got a lot of PP time, will be a top 4 D man in the NHL, not sure he is going to a bonefide #1 however. Looked good at times, but he never wowed me last night. Which brings me back to the summer series, he didn't show the wow factor then also being outplayed by Murray and Rielly.

- Seth Griffith, smallish winger, wasn't as dominant against better players as he is with London. People who said he was a steal this summer, I don't agree. The odds of him being a top 6 fwd in the NHL are against him IMO.

- Domi, showed flashes, but draft available players definitely are up against it. Which flatters Mackinnon's series.

- Cattenachi, thought he looked good and energetic.

- Nickhuskin, flashes of raw talent, didn't help his draft ranking but didn't hurt it.

- Yakupov, pretty much shut down last night, Percy and Harrington did a job on him. Extra attacker goal with Hamilton on the ice. Interesting he is better in the KHL, but playing against a NHL style system, he hasn't been as noticable.

- Vasilevski, good game, however the OHL didn't really test him.

- Tom Wilson, excellent skater for a big man, had a good noticable game.

I think The Russian Squad are not revealing too much before the worlds, they never pressed the attack, and I expect this is because they don't want to reveal their tactics before the Worlds. Expect them to be a lot tougher by christmas. Overall neither team impressed me all that much. Of the OHL guys maybe Strome, Jenner, Harrington, and Subban will play on the National team. Personally I think Percy deserves a mention, but not sure his understated game will crack the line up. I don't think Hamilton will be an asset over the larger ice surface in Russia, I hope Team Canada officials recognize this.

Last edited by Interactif: 11-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Interactif

Of the OHL defencemen to be considered for Team Canada,

Murphy, Hamilton will probably get a lot of consideration. Spott probably has already pencilled in Murphy as one of the 7 D men on the roster.

Harrington is the unsung guy here, perhaps he and Percy have been the 2 most steady D men for Team OHL but both won't make the national team or atleast are a longshot not to make it. Would like to see one make it. You need a steady D man, not all offensive gunslingers. Percy's skaking on the big ice surface gives him a leg up.

From a Leafs perspective Finn and Percy are probably up against it with the WHL loaded with talented d men.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Of the OHL defencemen to be considered for Team Canada,

Murphy, Hamilton will probably get a lot of consideration. Spott probably has already pencilled in Murphy as one of the 7 D men on the roster.

Harrington is the unsung guy here, perhaps he and Percy have been the 2 most steady D men for Team OHL but both won't make the national team or atleast are a longshot not to make it. Would like to see one make it. You need a steady D man, not all offensive gunslingers. Percy's skaking on the big ice surface gives him a leg up.

From a Leafs perspective Finn and Percy are probably up against it with the WHL loaded with talented d men.
Harrington is assured a sport on the team, and is the frontrunner for captain along with Huberdeau. He played last year

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Interactif

WHL Defence Prospects

Pulock
Rielly
Murray
Reinhart
Dumba
Pouliot

Pretty good 6 pack right there.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:03 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Very impressed with Leivo. His ability to separate the D from the puck was fantastic. His IQ seemed incredible. Read the play almost every time, which gave him a leg up. His skating seemed good and his puck handling was a LOT better then i was expecting. Great draft pick here.

Percy as i have always preached, was a defensive horse. He is incredibly smart and is able to play positional without over committing to a play. As Iíve said before, he plays similarly to Nick Lidstrom on the defensive side of the puck. These kind of D have long careers.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Macman

I've only seen Leivo twice now but I'm really impressed. If he keeps developing, he could be a good one.

Macman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:29 PM
4evaBlue

I mostly agree with Interactif's assessment of players last night. Percy left me a bit disappointed, as I was expecting some flashes. He moved the puck efficiently, though, and didn't take unnecessary risks. Reminds me a bit of Gunnarsson in that sense.

I really liked Wilson's performance, I think he was the player who had the most impact on the game.

Neither of the OHL goalies were tested much, so it was hard to get a read on either of them.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Edbleafs

leivo is very good in the corner too

i saw him go in there and came out with the puck and protect it very well too

Edbleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Leafs03

What time is the game tonight guys???

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Interactif

Tonight's game on Sportsnet, 10PM Est time.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:36 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Tonight's game on Sportsnet, 10PM Est time.
That sucks. I really wish they would have made it earlier. 5PM PST would have been perfect.

As for the WHL D, they are STACKED. Could easily go into the WJC with only WHL D.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Can't wait to see Rielly!

Rielly gonna kick some butt.

RiellyRiellyRiellyRiellyRiellyRiellyRiellyRiellyRi ellyRiellyRiellyRiellyRielly

I hear the LEafs have some good D-man prospect out there. Can't wait to see him too.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
cheeeko

Does sportsnet stream it online? Got rid of cable in favour of Netflix lol

cheeeko is online now   Reply With Quote