AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Elvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Was anyone arguing that Lindholm would be there because he's like Brookbank?
No, you were saying that Smaby/Hendry are currently playing to the level of the league they are in, and I understood that as they weren't going to be worthy of a call up. If they are playing bad in Norfolk, then of course you don't call them up, but for them not to shine in the AHL should be pretty normal. Chicago could send Sheldon Brookbank to Rockford, and chances are both Lindholm and Vatanen might look like better AHL'ers than him.

Offensively, you won't notice Hendry and Smaby much even in the AHL. I'll admit I've only seen two of Norfolk's games and you wouldn't notice Hendry, and I don't think that's nessecarily a bad thing for him. Smaby didn't play in either game I saw. In the end, who you should call up depends on who gets injured. But most often, whoever gets called up, is going to play limited minutes on the 3rd pairing and typically that's a Brookbank/DiPenta kind of player. Although, maybe that changes with Boudreau.

Last edited by Elvs: 11-10-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old
11-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
No, you were saying that Smaby/Hendry are currently playing to the level of the league they are in, and I understood that as they weren't going to be worthy of a call up. If they are playing bad in Norfolk, then of course you don't call them up, but for them not to shine in the AHL should be pretty normal. Chicago could send Sheldon Brookbank to Rockford, and chances are both Lindholm and Vatanen might look like better AHL'ers than him.

Offensively, you won't notice Hendry and Smaby much even in the AHL. I'll admit I've only seen two of Norfolk's games and you wouldn't notice Hendry, and I don't think that's nessecarily a bad thing for him. Smaby didn't play in either game I saw. In the end, who you should call up depends on who gets injured. But most often, whoever gets called up, is going to play limited minutes on the 3rd pairing and typically that's a Brookbank/DiPenta kind of player. Although, maybe that changes with Boudreau.
Well that's extremely convoluted.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post

Considering most teams carry seven defensemen, the seventh defenseman will be playing the injured player's spot. So bringing up a defenseman from the AHL would probably sit on the bench. Now if there is a rash of defensemen going down, then that's different. Now if Lindholm simply blows people away,then bring him up regardless of injury. But there may be politics in play because we have so many defensemen signed. Ehhh... this is a good problem to have.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

It's funny...other teams are now booing Schultz for not choosing to sign with them.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Sc...#axzz2C30iX77v

Old
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
It's funny...other teams are now booing Schultz for not choosing to sign with them.

I'm somehow not surprised yet irritated that the article didn't mention the Ducks at all. Like it never happened.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post

Meanwhile, somewhere, Chuck Shwartz, or whatever, is typing "Stay classy Anaheim" article.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
I'm somehow not surprised yet irritated that the article didn't mention the Ducks at all. Like it never happened.
Get used to it. In a few years the only mention Anaheim will get when it comes to him is draft nuts reminding us who drafted him and Ducks fans who aren't over it. His career hasn't really started. It will start with Edmonton and he'll always be considered an Oiler. Nobody thinks of Penner as a Duck.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

From the article:

"The Oilers were always his first choice"

"It was a little tough but I always figured in the back of my mind Edmonton was the right place for me to be in," Schultz said.

Wait.....I thought he was going to be in Anaheim? How was the Oil always his first choice when he told Anaheim he couldn't wait to play for them? Was he lying then or now? Chuck? Chuck?

Such a D-bag.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
From the article:

"It was a little tough but I always figured in the back of my mind Edmonton was the right place for me to be in," Schultz said.

Wait.....I thought he was going to be in Anaheim? How was the Oil always his first choice when he told Anaheim he couldn't wait to play for them? Was he lying then or now? Chuck? Chuck?

Such a D-bag.
Reminds me of a dialogue from the movie "Princess Bride".

Prince Humperdink says,"I will send all my ships..."

"All, but four," retorted inquiringly by Buttercup.

"Well, yes," Prince Humperdink quizzically responded. "Naturally not THOSE four."

hahahhahahahah I could be wrong on the exact quotes.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
From the article:

Such a D-bag.
It does seem to make it more clear that he really did mislead the Ducks for a long time. Pretty classless as well as not saying a whole lot about his advisor/agent who apparently thought leading on the Ducks was a good business practice.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Exit Dose

Norfolk Admirals ‏@NorfolkAdmirals
Tune in now to Michael & Son #Admirals Hour on 102.1-FM, 1490-AM, http://1021TheGame.com , with @AdmiralsVoice, Dennis McEwen & @kylepalmieri.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Govment Cheese

Admirals Recall Nick Schaus

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/relea...y1.php?id=2694

Guess one of our D-men got hurt. Didn't get to watch/listen to all the road games.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I think Exit makes a good point. Lindholm came here because, as I understand it, he was told he would have an opportunity to earn his way onto the NHL team. Denying him that opportunity isn't in good faith. Give him the opportunity. If he earns it, great. If not? Well, he'll either go back to the AHL to finish out the season, or he'll want to head back to Sweden.

Vatanen is in a different situation. He had nothing left to gain by staying in the FEL, and earning experience in NA hockey is the next logical step. From there, he'll also be able to earn his way onto the team as well, but I think his performance in the AHL is a sign that he needs a bit more time.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:45 AM
randyc

Lindholm

I think if the lockout should end that Lindholm should have the shot at making the Ducks.

What happens if that shot doesn't pan out is another question all together. He very well could go back to Sweden. But hopefully he will possibly realize that for his development, staying in the AHL and learning the NA game would be in his best interest. Also he could always get called up without having to go through waivers since he is on his ELC.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Maybe Vatanen injured? Dunno, but i don`t think Lindholm should go back to Sweden for next 20 years

At first i was sceptical at him for going to NA right away instead of playing in SEL. Now i`m ok with him, he`s doing just fine!

Old
11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I don't think that Lindholm heading back to Sweden is a negative. That would be a great league for him to continue his development in. Would I prefer he stay in the AHL? Absolutely, as it would probably make his transition into the NHL easier, but the SEL has a lot of talent and he'd certainly be pushed to be a better player.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

I prefer him developing in the AHL. Skill is relatively close, but he needs to take on the more aggressive NA style of play in a smaller rink. This means quicker decisions and less faltering under pressure.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Our last season's 4th line center given a tryout contract with Norfolk.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Exit Dose

Good. I liked Pelley. I don't have high hopes that he'll end up back with us, but it'll be good to have him down there with the ducklings.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Great, i liked him, actually. I think he takes the 4th line C spot, so who goes off?

McMillan goes on wing?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:17 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Gabe Guentzel returns to Norfolk from #ECHL @FWKomets while Luca Caputi, Garrett Klotz & Ryan Lasch head to Fort Wayne: http://*******/Tr9Usj

Caputi down to ECHL? Why on earth...?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Carelton CA

Caputi is an odd one for me too and how come he was classified as "loaned"? How many forwards are now left in Norfolk?

Old
11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Exit Dose

Why is Lasch heading to Fort Wayne or Caputi for that matter?

I can't say I understand some of the crap that Yawney does.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

They have both been scratched (too much?) as well. Seems like there might be some personal preferences from the coach.

Lasch played WC with USA in May, now in ECHL. Great career choice

Old
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Shaking things up perhaps? Much needed for what I saw.

Closed Thread