HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Nikita Filatov

vCash: 500
Just going by stats, what's going on with Bulmer?

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:14 PM
tsujimoto74

Another big game from Marcus Foligno last night. 1 goal, 2 assists. Kid is really solidifying himself a a legit top 6 power forward prospect.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:17 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Stan Galiev has struggled so far for Hershey. He dominated in St. Johns last year and for whatever reason he has had a hard time adjusting to the AHL. Some people even considered him making Washington's opening night roster.
I think a lot of people don't take into account how GREAT that Sea Dogs team was overall and how big of a jump it is to the AHL from the Q (even more than the OHL or WHL). Jurco falls in thesame area. I think both of these guys will be good but give them 2-3 years before they go to the NHL.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Still dealing with getting knocked out by Teubert maybe? I know the same thing happened to Peckham, and he had a hard time bouncing back from it for a while

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:25 PM
newfy

Ferraro potted 2 last night to keep up his awesome start to the season. Nyquist 2 more points as well, was a game time decision after receiving a borderline hit the night before and going to the hospital. Played with a shield on instead

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
My opinion is that he is thinking too much out there. Even before Teubert owned him, he was not playing a simple N/S game and being the first guy in on the forecheck. That said, he had a great third period last game and hopefully that did something for his confidence.

Overall, I think he has tried to be a skill player when he's not. He will have success being a tenacious forechecker, screening the goalie, and crashing the net. These are all things he did well to get a 9 game stint in the NHL. So far, he has done very little of that in the early going of the season.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:56 PM

I don't have a lot of experience rating goalies but Danny Taylor looked pretty damn good for Abbotsford last night... I think he's a 26 yrs old on an AHL contract. Could be a late bloomer or something

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Well I didn't do any reports for the Admirals triple header so I'll just leave comments on the Ads players and then all the players they went up against that I can remember

Peter Holland: Probably emerging as Norfolk's best player this season. Even over Palmieri who already looks like a safe NHL bet. He's third in the league in scoring, only two points out of first place and 3 points more than RNH.

Kyle Palmieri: His last game against Albany was great. Two amazing powerplay goals that really displayed how soft his hands are. If I can get a video of the highlights I'll post them. The kid is top 6 ready, it's just about having the right linemates to make him effective.

Sami Vatanen: He looks like he's playing injured. His game is way off where it was at the start of the year. He's getting outmuscled, he's not skating as well as before, and he just doesn't play with a ton of intensity anymore. Hope this gets resolved. 2 assists in today's game.

Igor Bobkov: What a disaster he's been. 8 goals allowed in 40 minutes. He showed up with a few big saves but this kind of inconsistency will doom him to a career in the AHL or in B-tier european leagues.

Frederik Andersen: Not much better for a guy who broke Lundqvist's team record for shutouts in the SEL. Not using his glove hand enough. Allowed 6 goals in 7 periods of hockey. I see more potential in him as he seems more mentally stable, but seriously...John Gibson can't get here soon enough.

Hampus Lindholm: Quietly he's been our best defenseman as far as defensive responsibility goes. Very impressive for an 18 year old. He still has mistakes but they're few and far between in comparison to the rest of the blue line. Offensively he knows what he's doing as well he just hasn't refined that area of his game. I can see him at best being a 30 point guy as it stands. Not bad just nothing special offensively. Against Albany I thought he looked better than Larsson, and that wasn't even me trying to be a homer. I just barely noticed Adam until he got a goal late in the game.

Emerson Etem: Still hasn't rounded out his game but he's doing better. He's getting into the right areas, he's not as stupid when handling the puck. He's keeping his head up and his intensity level is where it needs to be.

Ryan Lasch: Unfortunately, I think his frame will prevent him from ever being a dominant North American force. He did great in the SM-Liga but he's just getting manhandled here in the AHL. The talent is there, it's just not really working out yet. It was worth a shot on the part of the Ducks' scouting staff and it was cool to sign a southern california native but it's just not gonna work out.

Chris Wagner: This kid looks like he really can be another 2010 steal. he hasn't fleshed out his offensive game well enough to match say, Holland and Palmieri, but he's got hands, he's got great intensity, and he's a really smart hockey player in my opinion. He could probably end up posting 30-35 points as a depth scorer in a few years.

Devante Smith Pelly: He was already good enough for the NHL, but he's honestly actually improving in my eyes down in the AHL. His decision making seems much more mature. He's defensively responsible. I don't think he'll drop anyone's jaws with his offense but he'll do just fine as reliable 3rd line/top 6 utility/complimentary player.

Luca Caputi: Can't see an NHL career out of this kid but he's been pretty fun to watch the last few games. Had a couple great feeds and chances in the last game.

Too lazy to cover the other players I watched.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
HarveySpecter

Jared Cowen is out for the season and is to undergo surgery.

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:46 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
Jared Cowen is out for the season and is to undergo surgery.
So disappointing. Kid can't catch a break.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Not sure if it's been talked about in this thread, but what's going on with Lukas Sutter?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
SMantzas
Next Star?

Larsson with a cannon

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not sure if it's been talked about in this thread, but what's going on with Lukas Sutter?
He's in the WHL, but Renegade has a very good post about him somewhere.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:41 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
There should be some more Nino and Brock Nelson in this thread...

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:20 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
There should be some more Nino and Brock Nelson in this thread...
So post about them if your watching them and they stand out.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:48 AM
ThatGuy22

Jason Zucker had a great game yesterday with 2g 2a against San Antonio, looks like he is getting back to his pre injury form. 12 points in 10 games for him on the season.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I don't have a lot of experience rating goalies but Danny Taylor looked pretty damn good for Abbotsford last night... I think he's a 26 yrs old on an AHL contract. Could be a late bloomer or something
His flaw throughout his career has been inconsistentcy. He'll have a shutout one game then get pulled in his next. His stats look good though.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Abbotsford Heat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
His flaw throughout his career has been inconsistentcy. He'll have a shutout one game then get pulled in his next. His stats look good though.
I said the same thing in the Taylor topic, since coming to Abbotsford that has not been the case. I am not sure about how many times he has been pulled but he has only been victimized for 4 or more goals 4 times since joining the Heat and 2 of those were still 30 save performances.

Abbotsford Heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
tsujimoto74

Some quick thoughts on Rochester/Hamilton this morning. (Sorry they're not all that thorough, just making note of the players who stood out to me, for good or for bad.)

Rochester:
Foligno-- Again, all over the place in a good way. Always getting involved physically, going to the net. Picked up a primary assist on a pretty tic-tac-toe passing play (goal by Brennan).
Gauthier-Leduc-- Made his AHL debut today, and scored his first goal. Bit of a weak shot from the right point that bobbled around a bit in front before sneaking by Mayer. Wasn't alarmingly good, but none the less a pretty good effort for his first pro game.
Pysyk-- As always, making safe, smart plays with the puck in his own end. Was also distributing the puck well on the PP. Not a lot of "wow" factor to his game, but he's a very solid player.
Flynn-- Where did this kid come from? Points in every game in November so far. Not sure if there's any NHL upside there, but he's become a real solid AHL contributor.

Hamilton
Gallagher-- Stood out big time in the 3rd as the Bulldogs tried to stage a comeback. Was constantly wreaking havoc in front of the net.
Bournival-- Also pretty good. Made a few really nice passing plays, including one that set up Gallagher for a great scoring chance (Leggio made the save though).
Beaulieu-- Not really sure what's driving the hype train for this kid. Only times he stood out was when he was giving the puck away in his own end. Maybe he just needs more time to adjust to the pros or something, but definitely not an impressive game from him.

Side note: Really sad to hear about Geoffrion's injury. Hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Lehner is ripping it up, stealing wins like it's not even his business to do so.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Gary83*

Awwwww yeah, love me some Barry Brust!

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Awwwww yeah, love me some Barry Brust!
1 period away from setting the AHL shutout streak record. A 3 headed monster appearing in net for the baby Flames.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:39 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

You guys need to check out Tyson Barrie's rush with less than a minute left in last night's game against Grand Rapids. The highlights are on theahl.com and it is amazing.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Anchor Town

Another couple of goals for Nyquist last night

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote