34-Paul Pierce/David Ortiz
35-Jim Nance
36-Lawyer Milloy
37-Patrice Bergeron
38-Curt Schilling
39-Sam Cunningham
40-Mike Haynes

Couldnt decide between Ortiz and Pierce for #34 so I made it a split
The Pierce/Ortiz split is good. I love Ortiz and all his October heroics and what he has meant to the Red Sox. Pierce on the other has been a life long Celtic, will have his number retired and has weathered some dark times in Celtics history before reaching the mountain top in 2008 plus NBA Finals MVP and also the captain of that team.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Alicat
Charge!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
The second installment on my list goes like this

21-Roger Clemens
22-Ed Macauley
23-Frank Ramsey
24-Manny Ramirez
25-KC Jones
26-Wade Boggs
27-Carlton Fisk
28-Curtis Martin
29-Keith Foulke
30-Tim Thomas
31-Cedric Maxwell
32-Kevin McHale
33-Larry Bird
35-Jim Nance
36-Lawyer Milloy
37-Patrice Bergeron
38-Curt Schilling
39-Sam Cunningham
40-Mike Haynes

24 is Terry O'Reilly without a doubt.

I give Pierce #34. He has been through so much and still gives all he has and more. I love Papi but P2 is #34.

Nice to see Max on the list. I love KC Jones too.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:19 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
The second installment on my list goes like this

21-Roger Clemens
22-Ed Macauley
23-Frank Ramsey
24-Manny Ramirez
25-KC Jones
26-Wade Boggs
27-Carlton Fisk
28-Curtis Martin
29-Keith Foulke
30-Tim Thomas
31-Cedric Maxwell
32-Kevin McHale
33-Larry Bird
35-Jim Nance
36-Lawyer Milloy
37-Patrice Bergeron
38-Curt Schilling
39-Sam Cunningham
40-Mike Haynes

Could definitely make an argument for Gerry Cheevers over Tim Thomas at #30. 2 Cups and a Hall of Famer give Cheevers the edge in my book.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

These are great threads. Keep it up.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post

I give Pierce #34. He has been through so much and still gives all he has and more. I love Papi but P2 is #34.

I'd split 24 with Manny/O'Reilly. Say what you will about manny, but that guy was damn fun to watch and was an incredible hitter, roids or not.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:51 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
I'd split 24 with Manny/O'Reilly. Say what you will about manny, but that guy was damn fun to watch and was an incredible hitter, roids or not.
I've never really cared that much about roids in baseball, I know not everyone shares this opinion. Anyway Manny was the greatest right handed hitter I have ever watched play the game roids or not. I give 24 to Manny.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
I liked Manny but for me, #24 for the Sox will always be Dewey Evans.

#25, KC Jones probably deserves but again, on a personal level, Tony Conigliaro was my first sports hero.

#22 belongs to Brad Park.

#37 - I love Bill Lee but Bergeron deserves it.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:03 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotedToughGuyDKrejci View Post
Could definitely make an argument for Gerry Cheevers over Tim Thomas at #30. 2 Cups and a Hall of Famer give Cheevers the edge in my book.
I'm pretty green on the subject, but TT carried the B's to a cup. Can the same be said for Cheevers? My understanding is that he was a "money goalie", but TT was the best player on the 2011 Bruins.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:03 PM
FutureConsiderations

No debating 37 for Rodney Harrison? Surprising...

I love Bergeron but Harrison's career accomplishments are nothing to scoff at.

Most feared safety of his day. He holds the league record for sac by a DB. He was named defensive captain by his teammates as a rookie. Founding member of the 30/30 Club.

Guy was a legend, a no-doubter for the HOF to me. (Of course, he made some enemies on the way...).

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 11-12-2012 at 10:15 PM.
FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Cheevers won it with Orr/Esposito. IMHO, Thomas' 2 Vezinas + SC + Conn Smythe puts him ahead of Cheevers' 2 Cups.

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

No way...Papi over Pierce any day of the week. His 04 heroics were stuff of absolute legends.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
No way...Papi over Pierce any day of the week. His 04 heroics were stuff of absolute legends.
I love Papi but I give 34 to Pierce. Drafted here, went through the lowest of low's, almost died, Champion, All Star, Finals MVP, Captain. He'll also retire here. Depending on who you ask, he's a Celtics legend.

We can both agree that we are spoiled rotten in either case.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:18 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd go with O'Reilly at 24 in spite of Manny's on field heroics. Terry is probably the definitive Bruin of all time. Papi gets #34 for me,snatched 86 years of grief and stomped on it with his Yankee swat. Had more clutch hits in 4 years than any Sox in history.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:

So tuff on 34. Both are great. I love Papi. Really happy he should now retire with the sox. If I had to choose, I'd have to give the edge to Pierce though. He's carried the C's for so long. He's also been the Captain for quite a while. People here who don't like hoop are obviously going to favor Ortiz though. Just the same, people who don't like baseball are gonna favor Pierce.

Quote:
Definitely debatable. I never saw Cheevers play. He did it for longer. But Thomas was more dominant while he was here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
I've never really cared that much about roids in baseball, I know not everyone shares this opinion. Anyway Manny was the greatest right handed hitter I have ever watched play the game roids or not. I give 24 to Manny.
Agreed about Manny being the greatest hitter I've ever seen live. That said, I absolutely HATED him while he was here.

He was obviously a integral part of the '04 and '07 WS titles. I hated watching him dog it night in and night out. I hated the fact that he was nonchalant about everything. I just plain hated him. I especially hated the fact they gave him Dewey's #...he was one of the classiest Red Sox to ever play the game.

Because of the way manny left, I'd have to give #24 to O'Reilly. if Manny was never traded, he'd be a lock. But just like Nomar and Lyn, you can't undue the past. They both left on rough terms. Manny left of even rougher trims imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
I liked Manny but for me, #24 for the Sox will always be Dewey Evans.

#37 - I love Bill Lee but Bergeron deserves it.
Agreed on Dewey. I'm still pissed they gave RoidRam his #.

As for 37, Bergy is a great choice. But I's have to say Harrison edges him out. Harrison was one of the greatest to ever play his position...and lock HOF'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
This could be argued about all day. C's fans will take Pierce, Sox fans Ortiz. This might be the closest call #'s 1-40. If you have to give a tie to one spot, #34 would be it imo.

My #39 goes to Mike Greenwell. he was my favorite player for quite a while when I was younger. I'm sure Sam Cunningham was probably more popular or did more for the team. But I honestly know very little about the pats history before I was born ('78). So I'm going with the Gator.

Gonzo would have been a shoe in for 28 if he didn't get traded. As Curtis Martin was great while he was here. But he was only here a 3 years. I believe he was with the Jets more than twice as long. I think of Martin as a Jet much more than I do as a Patriot. When it's all said and done i give my 28 to Mr Recchi Although I admit to being biased after running into him a couple different times in the terminal at the Pittsburgh airport. He's a class act. And undoubtedly was a leader bringing the Cup back in '11.

#31 is Lester for me. Maxwell is a solid choice. But Lester was a huge part of the '07 WS. And he's still going strong...or at least we're hoping he's still going strong

#35 definitely goes to Reggie in my book. I loved the guy. He was my favorite player.

I'm sure it's not a popular choice, but i'd give #36 to Shaq...even though he only played for a year. Malloy was far better than Shaq from a talent stand point while he wore the number. But Shaq will probably be remember more for the number. Although Malloy was here several more years, I'd be willing to bet there were more Shaq jerseys sold than Malloy's.

My 21-40:

21-Roger Clemens
22-Ed Macauley
23-Frank Ramsey
24-Terry O'Reilly
25-KC Jones
26-Wade Boggs
27-Carlton Fisk
28-Mark Recchi
29-Keith Foulke
30-Tim Thomas
31-Jon Lester
32-Kevin McHale
33-Larry Bird
35-Reggie Lewis
36-Shaquile O'Neal
37-Rodney Harrison
38-Curt Schilling
39-Mike Greenwell
40-Mike Haynes

11-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I'd go with O'Reilly at 24 in spite of Manny's on field heroics. Terry is probably the definitive Bruin of all time. Papi gets #34 for me,snatched 86 years of grief and stomped on it with his Yankee swat. Had more clutch hits in 4 years than any Sox in history.
34 is such a tough one. Obviously we know Ortiz's accolades, but Paul Pierce has been the ultimate professional in his Celtics tenure. Drafted by the team, goes through that horrific stabbing incident, has moderate success, then goes through all that rebuilding and just purely awful teams. I know he said if they didn't land KG and Ray after that pathetic season he was going to want out, but the guy NEVER complained publicly about it. Wins a ring, and a finals MVP. He has a chance to retire as the all-time leading scorer in franchise history as well if he stays healthy.

Paul Pierce is a Boston Sports legend, who will see #34 retired to the rafters soon after he hangs them up.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:03 AM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:
34 is such a tough one. Obviously we know Ortiz's accolades, but Paul Pierce has been the ultimate professional in his Celtics tenure. Drafted by the team, goes through that horrific stabbing incident, has moderate success, then goes through all that rebuilding and just purely awful teams. I know he said if they didn't land KG and Ray after that pathetic season he was going to want out, but the guy NEVER complained publicly about it. Wins a ring, and a finals MVP. He has a chance to retire as the all-time leading scorer in franchise history as well if he stays healthy.

Paul Pierce is a Boston Sports legend, who will see #34 retired to the rafters soon after he hangs them up.
This, Perfectly stated. I don't think Pierce's longevity can be oversold in this debate. I'm a bigger Sox fan than Celtics but it has been a pleasure to watch Pierce go from a young man who slipped in the draft out of Kansas to the captain he is today through all the ups and downs and there were a lot of downs in Pierce's time here. There's something cool about watching someone's entire career unfold through the years. Papi has created the greatest sports memories I will treasure forever, greatest clutch hitter in Sox history. I personally think Pierce has been under appreciated in Boston, a lot of that due to playing on such bad teams. I hope one day I can look back at Tyler Seguin's career the way I look at Pierce's in the sense of watching him grow as a player and be a lifelong Boston Bruin like Pierce is a Celtic (hopefully there aren't the years of terrible teams though).

Old
11-13-2012, 08:47 AM
HHHH

Awesome list!!

If it is open to college athletes in Boston, I would prefer Doug Flutie at #22 for what he did while he was at BC.

HHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHH View Post
Awesome list!!

If it is open to college athletes in Boston, I would prefer Doug Flutie at #22 for what he did while he was at BC.
I was just about to post this!!! His number is retired by BC, and he is part of one of the most iconic moments in Boston sports history.

For 34, I love Ortiz, I'd give the nod to Pierce. 24 I think is O'Reilly over Manny and Dewey. And I love Evans and think he should be in the hall of fame. 8 gold gloves, and one of the feared arms in the majors for many years; plus nearly 400 home runs in the pre-steriod era. Anyway...

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:25 AM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

After thinking about 34 shouldn't go to Pierce or Papi, it should go to Shane Hnidy

Old
11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch View Post
So tuff on 34. Both are great. I love Papi. Really happy he should now retire with the sox. If I had to choose, I'd have to give the edge to Pierce though. He's carried the C's for so long. He's also been the Captain for quite a while. People here who don't like hoop are obviously going to favor Ortiz though. Just the same, people who don't like baseball are gonna favor Pierce.

Definitely debatable. I never saw Cheevers play. He did it for longer. But Thomas was more dominant while he was here...

Agreed about Manny being the greatest hitter I've ever seen live. That said, I absolutely HATED him while he was here.

He was obviously a integral part of the '04 and '07 WS titles. I hated watching him dog it night in and night out. I hated the fact that he was nonchalant about everything. I just plain hated him. I especially hated the fact they gave him Dewey's #...he was one of the classiest Red Sox to ever play the game.

Because of the way manny left, I'd have to give #24 to O'Reilly. if Manny was never traded, he'd be a lock. But just like Nomar and Lyn, you can't undue the past. They both left on rough terms. Manny left of even rougher trims imo.

As for 37, Bergy is a great choice. But I's have to say Harrison edges him out. Harrison was one of the greatest to ever play his position...and lock HOF'er.

This could be argued about all day. C's fans will take Pierce, Sox fans Ortiz. This might be the closest call #'s 1-40. If you have to give a tie to one spot, #34 would be it imo.

My #39 goes to Mike Greenwell. he was my favorite player for quite a while when I was younger. I'm sure Sam Cunningham was probably more popular or did more for the team. But I honestly know very little about the pats history before I was born ('78). So I'm going with the Gator.

Gonzo would have been a shoe in for 28 if he didn't get traded. As Curtis Martin was great while he was here. But he was only here a 3 years. I believe he was with the Jets more than twice as long. I think of Martin as a Jet much more than I do as a Patriot. When it's all said and done i give my 28 to Mr Recchi Although I admit to being biased after running into him a couple different times in the terminal at the Pittsburgh airport. He's a class act. And undoubtedly was a leader bringing the Cup back in '11.

#31 is Lester for me. Maxwell is a solid choice. But Lester was a huge part of the '07 WS. And he's still going strong...or at least we're hoping he's still going strong

#35 definitely goes to Reggie in my book. I loved the guy. He was my favorite player.

I'm sure it's not a popular choice, but i'd give #36 to Shaq...even though he only played for a year. Malloy was far better than Shaq from a talent stand point while he wore the number. But Shaq will probably be remember more for the number. Although Malloy was here several more years, I'd be willing to bet there were more Shaq jerseys sold than Malloy's.

My 21-40:

21-Roger Clemens
22-Ed Macauley
23-Frank Ramsey
24-Terry O'Reilly
25-KC Jones
26-Wade Boggs
27-Carlton Fisk
28-Mark Recchi
29-Keith Foulke
30-Tim Thomas
31-Jon Lester
32-Kevin McHale
33-Larry Bird
35-Reggie Lewis
36-Shaquile O'Neal
37-Rodney Harrison
38-Curt Schilling
39-Mike Greenwell
40-Mike Haynes
I love your explanation btw!

Absolutely NO on Reggie Lewis. He wasn't here very long and he had one good season before he died. He shouldn't be up in the rafters but that's another discussion for the Celtics thread.

Shaq shouldn't be on the list either.

I love Rodney but 37 is Patrice.

The way I look at these lists may be different from yours and others. I look at guys who have been here a minimum of 4 years and give preference to those who have been with the team from day 1.

It is really nice to talk all sports for a change. I grew up a huge Celtics fan thanks to my dad and aunt having season tix until 96. Baseball is in my blood and up until the last 2 years, going to Fenway was magical.

I keep Max over Lester at 31.

Surprised Sam Jones didn't get a mention.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
I love your explanation btw!

Absolutely NO on Reggie Lewis. He wasn't here very long and he had one good season before he died. He shouldn't be up in the rafters but that's another discussion for the Celtics thread.

Shaq shouldn't be on the list either.

I love Rodney but 37 is Patrice.

The way I look at these lists may be different from yours and others. I look at guys who have been here a minimum of 4 years and give preference to those who have been with the team from day 1.

It is really nice to talk all sports for a change. I grew up a huge Celtics fan thanks to my dad and aunt having season tix until 96. Baseball is in my blood and up until the last 2 years, going to Fenway was magical.

I keep Max over Lester at 31.

Surprised Sam Jones didn't get a mention.

Same here as far as the bolded goes. I admit that my list is different from most. I based mine more on who I think of first when I think of Boston sports and the #. Which is the only reason I gave Shaq #36. Cause obviously, he didn't do more during his one season here than lawyer Malloy did in his 6-7 season here. Damn, I just realized Shaq ended up playing for 6 teams.

As far as Recchi and Greenwell go, they are admittedly my personal/biased choices. They are just who I think of first when I think of the number.

I think Lester has been considered our ace for 2-3 years now. Although last year he did't really show his ace stuff, he was still our #1. When you consider his WS clincher in '07 and battling back from cancer, he beats out Max imo. Maybe bringing up the cancer thing is not necessary. But it's part of his image and character imo.

I could talk about this stuff all day. Much more enjoyable that reading over a lockout thread

Looch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch View Post

I really do like Manny, warts and all, he was a bit of irreverent fresh air in the stiff facade of professional sports......but I still don't like it that he got Dewey's number. If you will, Evans was the Bergeron of the Red Sox. He was a craftsman. He was more than adequate offensively and he did what he did best very well, very professionally and was excellent at the nuances of the game that don't show up on the stat sheets. There was and is to this day NOBODY who could play the Fenway right field like him....and he maintained that excellence for nearly two decades.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
25 will always be Tony C. for me.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:30 PM