HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
  #26
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Flipping the puck over the glass in your end should be treated as an icing.



You beat me by 2 min, but yes.
I agree with this as well.

Another rule change I would make would be to call icing during penalty kills. Make the defending team get the puck to center ice if they want to dump it in and get a line change. I would also go back to the old rule of making each penalty last for the full amount of time given, no matter how many goals are scored.

Not only would this increase offense, it would hopefully make every player and team more fearful of stepping out of bounds with the rulebook.

Anyone caught diving, even upon review within two days, would be suspended for a set amount of games on the following scale:

1st offence - 1 games suspension
2nd offence - 3 game suspension
3rd offence - 9 game suspension
4th offence - 27 game suspension
5th offence - full season suspension

I don't know if that seems too harsh, but divers affect the integrity of the game and there's no room for it in the league if I was calling the shots.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  #27
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
That's a rather harsh penalty for diving, particularly since people who throw out that number of head shots aren't penalized that much. If those were the penalties, players would never be found to dive.

Personally, I think suspensions should occupy a game roster spot. Max 1 roster spot per game, but lost roster spots transfer to later games when there would be more than 1 in a given game. This makes all suspensions actually affect the team (additional fatigue late in the game, every penalty throws off the lines more, and any players injured or otherwise removed from the game have a greater effect on the lineup).

Then for dives you can have a more fair level of suspension, but the diving would hurt the team even if not caught.

1st dive: Fine
2nd dive: 1 game suspension
3rd dive: 3 game suspension
4th or more dive: 5 game suspension
If a player had a suspension for diving in the previous year, then they count as having an additional dive for the purposes of the penalty.

Players would never make it on the roster to the 4th dive since they're hurting the team.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:16 PM
  #28
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
im always on the fence for this one, i get the argument that if a goalie goes all the way to his blue line for example he should be willing to risk getting hit, but at the same time goalie equipment isnt really made to get hit... plus if checking goalies were allowed i cant help but think that some players will try to injure goalies.....
Doesn't need to be legal to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Scoring off a skate should be black and white. Either allow it or don't (I err towards don't for safety reasons). There's too much grey area the way it is now. Even with instant replays how many fans are happy the correct call was made? TO still shows no consistency in what they deem a kicking motion. It's pathetic. It seems to me the process should just be simplified. Off a skate=no goal.
I disagree with this. If let's say a player like Holmstrom is screening the goalie and the defenseman is trying to move him out of the way, if the puck hits the dman, then hits Holmstrom off the skate and in, then it shouldn't count?

I would really like to see a crack down on Picks. To me that is Interference. the rule should be if a Player A has the puck and is engaged with Player B, then a member of Player A can't come into body contact with player B.

Of course this could also be in affect to defending players as well as some players will take advantage of a player with the puck and take a cheap shot when tied up with another player. If the league is serious about safety this is one way to make the game more safe.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:24 PM
  #29
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 9,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Doesn't need to be legal to happen
yeah but this would make it legal...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:26 PM
  #30
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
That's a rather harsh penalty for diving, particularly since people who throw out that number of head shots aren't penalized that much. If those were the penalties, players would never be found to dive.

Personally, I think suspensions should occupy a game roster spot. Max 1 roster spot per game, but lost roster spots transfer to later games when there would be more than 1 in a given game. This makes all suspensions actually affect the team (additional fatigue late in the game, every penalty throws off the lines more, and any players injured or otherwise removed from the game have a greater effect on the lineup).

Then for dives you can have a more fair level of suspension, but the diving would hurt the team even if not caught.

1st dive: Fine
2nd dive: 1 game suspension
3rd dive: 3 game suspension
4th or more dive: 5 game suspension
If a player had a suspension for diving in the previous year, then they count as having an additional dive for the purposes of the penalty.

Players would never make it on the roster to the 4th dive since they're hurting the team.
That was the point though, which team would sign a known diver if they had to wait out that kind of suspension? I agree that head shots have to be seriously looked at with some stiff suspensions as well. If the NFL can get that crap out of their game, the NHL can too.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
  #31
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,420
vCash: 500
I think a realignment (and accompanying change to the playoff format) will be the bone thrown to the fans this time around.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:10 PM
  #32
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
It should count as long as your skate never comes off the ice. That would eliminate much of the risk.
That still enables a player to use their skate. Any type of rule that allows a kicking motion with the skate should be eliminated. That will eliminate the risk of injury and eliminate goal reviews which include a 'distinct kicking motion' completely.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:12 PM
  #33
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 28,856
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I think a realignment (and accompanying change to the playoff format) will be the bone thrown to the fans this time around.
.... seriously? Fans would **** bricks if they messed with the playoff format.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
  #34
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
I'm not sure if it applies to NHL, but AHL now has hybrid icing, i.e. no-touch icing.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
  #35
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
.... seriously? Fans would **** bricks if they messed with the playoff format.
I don't recall any bricks being shat when they changed the format in 1994...

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
  #36
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 28,856
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I don't recall any bricks being shat when they changed the format in 1994...
They kept 16 teams. Unless you're saying just a seeding tweak, which barely counts as changing the format, but even that proposal was ridiculed by fans during their realignment proposal from earlier in the year.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
  #37
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Dump the instigator! They can make it so that you can go after guys who throw cheap shots, but if you just jump someone...you're out.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
  #38
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 500
Make the nets bigger, it'll solve the Canucks goalie problem immediately.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
  #39
Shawnathon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I don't recall any bricks being shat when they changed the format in 1994...
I don't know if you missed the new realignment plan announcement before it was shut down, but it was a pretty extreme change. It solved the time zone problem but overall I thought it was pretty ridiculous. I was happy when it got shut down and I hope it stays that way.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
  #40
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 9,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Get rid of that stupid delay of game penalty for putting the puck over the glass, and get rid of the trapezoid.
Nope - both of these "new" rules are fine as they have resulted in their intended manner: increased scoring chances.

The only thing I can think of for a possible new rule would be for some kind of coaches challenge for goalie gear. Leg pads are still too high and wide and some blockers are as big as a pizza pan. ok, a really big pizza pan.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
  #41
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
They kept 16 teams. Unless you're saying just a seeding tweak, which barely counts as changing the format, but even that proposal was ridiculed by fans during their realignment proposal from earlier in the year.
Yeah, I basically meant that the first round (and possibly the second) round would be division-based. I agree that it wouldn't be anything revolutionary, but it would be enough to get people talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
I don't know if you missed the new realignment plan announcement before it was shut down, but it was a pretty extreme change. It solved the time zone problem but overall I thought it was pretty ridiculous. I was happy when it got shut down and I hope it stays that way.
It was nothing different from the setup they had in the 80s and early 90s. If you didn't like it, then you didn't like it - but what made it "ridiculous" (aside from dropping Tampa and Florida in with the NE teams, which I also thought was kind of silly)?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:59 PM
  #42
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,262
vCash: 500
Make the net bigger, and shallower.
Make the blue line wider (towards the near net)
Go back to divisional playoffs

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
  #43
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
Can't make bigger nets, too fundamental of a change and it only increases goal scoring not necessarily offense.

1. Reasonable goalie equipment size
2. Thick blue line (meter thick) or two dashed lines a meter apart in order to decrease the amount of offsides OR at least increase the amount of rushes or players cheating a bit and getting a chance in the offensive zone
3. 3 v 3 OT after 4 v 4 and before shootout
4. Shallower nets
5. A small increase in size limit which would get rid of one row from arenas but this won't happen
6. Shorter intermissions if you're gonna have 2 intermissions
7. Paint the ice surface a different colour to make it more TV friendly. As Dallas Stars analyst Reugh notes, improving the TV presentation by making the puck easier to see or micing coaches or more players or removing anthems from regular season TV games during weekdays can help grow the game
8. Same officiating consistency from beginning to end of season, no dead puck era 2.0 hockey
9. Allow arenas to have "personalities" by making them less regulated in terms of size, one arenas corners may be shaped slightly different or one arena may be a few feet wider (but you still need a maximum)
10. Less interviews with robotic hockey players who say nothing of note and more interviews with interesting historic hockey personnel or analysts who have something useful to say during an intermission. I'd rather see Kelly Hrudey or someone break down the play than listen to RNH saying "yeah you know we played a good period we just have to you know keep it up."
11. Allow rivalries to grow and coaches to say outrageous things rather than fining someone for making even a slightly offensive comment. NBA or NFL have grown due to their "drama" and though I'm not a fan of it, hockey needs it.
12. Change the rules committee in order to change it's priority so that the focus is on player safety and entertainment rather than leaving it in the hands of a few ex-whatevers who don't understand what fans want.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:49 PM
  #44
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Can't make bigger nets, too fundamental of a change and it only increases goal scoring not necessarily offense.

1. Reasonable goalie equipment size
2. Thick blue line (meter thick) or two dashed lines a meter apart in order to decrease the amount of offsides OR at least increase the amount of rushes or players cheating a bit and getting a chance in the offensive zone
3. 3 v 3 OT after 4 v 4 and before shootout
4. Shallower nets
5. A small increase in size limit which would get rid of one row from arenas but this won't happen
6. Shorter intermissions if you're gonna have 2 intermissions
7. Paint the ice surface a different colour to make it more TV friendly. As Dallas Stars analyst Reugh notes, improving the TV presentation by making the puck easier to see or micing coaches or more players or removing anthems from regular season TV games during weekdays can help grow the game
8. Same officiating consistency from beginning to end of season, no dead puck era 2.0 hockey
9. Allow arenas to have "personalities" by making them less regulated in terms of size, one arenas corners may be shaped slightly different or one arena may be a few feet wider (but you still need a maximum)
10. Less interviews with robotic hockey players who say nothing of note and more interviews with interesting historic hockey personnel or analysts who have something useful to say during an intermission. I'd rather see Kelly Hrudey or someone break down the play than listen to RNH saying "yeah you know we played a good period we just have to you know keep it up."
11. Allow rivalries to grow and coaches to say outrageous things rather than fining someone for making even a slightly offensive comment. NBA or NFL have grown due to their "drama" and though I'm not a fan of it, hockey needs it.
12. Change the rules committee in order to change it's priority so that the focus is on player safety and entertainment rather than leaving it in the hands of a few ex-whatevers who don't understand what fans want.
looks like someone read the hockey news this month

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:51 PM
  #45
Banana Sandwiches
Registered User
 
Banana Sandwiches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Get rid of that stupid delay of game penalty for putting the puck over the glass, and get rid of the trapezoid.
That's exactly what I want to see. Both of those rules are complete garbage. Puck over glass should only be called if it is clearly intentional. Before this rule, I don't remember it being a problem with players intentionally putting the puck in the stands.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:57 PM
  #46
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
Before this rule, I don't remember it being a problem with players intentionally putting the puck in the stands.
It was pretty lame. The automatic response to anything was shooting the puck over the glass. If they treat it like icing, then it might be better.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
  #47
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
looks like someone read the hockey news this month
Yeah for sure though some of the suggestions in there are pretty bad and lol at Ken Hitchcock basically saying "nah the game is fine as is defensive hockey is good." He would say that.

But the thick blue line is extremely important imo, I've said this before but put two dashed lines a meter apart since a meter thick blue line would look ridiculous.

1. When you enter the zone, looking at the top part, a player cannot be ahead of the straight red line although the puck carrier can be at the dashed blue-line. This reduces the amount of "close offsides" because the guy can be a couple feet ahead of the puck carrier without calling offside. This will reduce the amount of offsides called as a team enters the zone.

2. When the puck is in the zone and the attacking team has possession, the dashed blue line is used as the offside line and not the red one. This makes the offensive zone bigger and gives a PP more room with reduced chances of going offside with the puck leaving the zone and then having to regroup.



Dammit I hate offsides

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
  #48
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Why does everyone want to make the game of hockey as complicated as you can possibly get it? Cricket is easier to understand.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:13 AM
  #49
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Yeah for sure though some of the suggestions in there are pretty bad and lol at Ken Hitchcock basically saying "nah the game is fine as is defensive hockey is good." He would say that.

But the thick blue line is extremely important imo, I've said this before but put two dashed lines a meter apart since a meter thick blue line would look ridiculous.

1. When you enter the zone, looking at the top part, a player cannot be ahead of the straight red line although the puck carrier can be at the dashed blue-line. This reduces the amount of "close offsides" because the guy can be a couple feet ahead of the puck carrier without calling offside. This will reduce the amount of offsides called as a team enters the zone.

2. When the puck is in the zone and the attacking team has possession, the dashed blue line is used as the offside line and not the red one. This makes the offensive zone bigger and gives a PP more room with reduced chances of going offside with the puck leaving the zone and then having to regroup.



Dammit I hate offsides

I think the two lines looks more ridiculous, not to mention more lines would make it more confusing for casual fans and potential fans, and they would lose interest.

I think that they should just make the blue line wider, although a meter thick is ridiculous. Why not 50 cm

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:11 AM
  #50
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
oh yeah hadnt thought of that.. stupid me..
I'm on the fence about that idea anyway... kicking it to another person as a pass is one thing and isn't really "precedent" so to speak for it to be counted as a goal. I kind of like no-kicking rule and it has nothing to do with possible injuries.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.