HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one not missing hockey as much as I thought I would?

Old
11-11-2012, 09:31 PM
od71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
I have an extremely healthy social life and love my job. I'm a very happy person, but that has nothing to do with the hole in my heart right now for Penguins hockey.

My passion for the Pens has nothing to do with societal functions. I love my life. But I also love tuning in to 105.9 the X around gametime to hear Mike Lange's wacky commentary.

I live in Madrid Spain now and have watched every Real Madrid game since La Liga started this season. Great football club, lots of talent, and the games are fun to go to. But it's not the same at all.
Great! I understand NA or russian fans love hockey. But in Madrid, it's unbelievable. I thought, they don't even know what hockey is. It's interesting, how did you come to hockey?

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
My son doesn't send SMS, but he likes to play computer and smartphone games. I had to limit it to 1 hour a day. As for me, I remember my childhood, we always played hockey, football (you call it soccer). Thank God, we didn't have computers, smartphones, cos, in my opinion, they doesn't develop man as a person.
I miss hockey sometimes even in a summer time. Now there is a short break in KHL cos of international tournament "Eurotour" and I have already miss KHL games.
I grew up playing video games. Its not impossible to grow up into a decent person even with that stuff. The key is -- like you seem to be encouraging-- to not ONLY do that stuff

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:50 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
2/3 of all americans are overweight or obese. i suspect the rates are even higher among people that watch espn and play fantasy football.
Imagine, instead of ESPN, they would watch other entertainment: TV shows, TV serials ... How it would help the problem of overweight?
Or you think, instead of watching ESPN the crowd would go to the ice rinks, stadiums or other places to do physical activities?

Last edited by od71: 11-12-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I grew up playing video games. Its not impossible to grow up into a decent person even with that stuff. The key is -- like you seem to be encouraging-- to not ONLY do that stuff
Yes, I agree, but the problem is that computer games can easily eat all his free time. I put on skates on him at age 3 years old. He skates and plays hockey rather well for his age. But he doesn't like it or reading books very much. He prefers comp games.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
SEALBound

Finally surfacing for air...

Sad...but not as sad as last time. More just sick of their ****.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Yes, I agree, but the problem is that computer games can easily eat all his free time. I put on skates on him at age 3 years old. He skates and plays hockey rather well for his age. But he doesn't like it or reading books very much. He prefers comp games.
well it sounds like you are making sure he does it in moderation. I was never much of a book reader myself. Outside of school I doubt I've read 10 novels in my life. But I've still done an awful lot of reading in magazines, video games and on the internet. The right computer games can be every bit as good for development as a book. Even better in a lot of ways. Obviously neither can replace good physical activity.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
vodeni

Quote:
well it sounds like you are making sure he does it in moderation. I was never much of a book reader myself. Outside of school I doubt I've read 10 novels in my life. But I've still done an awful lot of reading in magazines, video games and on the internet. The right computer games can be every bit as good for development as a book. Even better in a lot of ways. Obviously neither can replace good physical activity.
Oh boy! Don't want to come a cross as a pompous *****, but your statement...whoa!
is so wrong on so many levels, and I undersand it is your opinion, but leave me just shaking my head

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
i find the emphasis american society places on sports to be kinda sickening. a bunch of fat non-athletic people devoting hours and days talking about their fantasy football team and draft. terrible. i wish people cared half as much about politics and real issues facing society.

but conversely, the real world kinda sucks. i suppose i can see why people seek such escape, to an extent.

i oftentimes wonder why i care so much about the penguins. in the grand scheme of things, the penguins matter little. i do think crosby is legitimate good guy in a sports world filled with selfish jerks, so i enjoy watching him succeed.
I only do it to fill the void of ennui and longing that fills my meaningless existence. My vessel is empty and I am an ode to nothingness since my hockey as been taken from me.

In other words, I need to get laid more often.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
I have an extremely healthy social life and love my job. I'm a very happy person, but that has nothing to do with the hole in my heart right now for Penguins hockey.

My passion for the Pens has nothing to do with societal functions. I love my life. But I also love tuning in to 105.9 the X around gametime to hear Mike Lange's wacky commentary.

I live in Madrid Spain now and have watched every Real Madrid game since La Liga started this season. Great football club, lots of talent, and the games are fun to go to. But it's not the same at all.
now there is something to be envy for, that would help a little bit... replacing magic of Sid and Gino...

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Go Barça...

Tonight paints a good picture of why I don't 'miss' hockey as much as I thought I would...which is to say I have a ****-ton of stuff to accomplish and very little time (before 11 am tomorrow morning) to do it...and the Steelers play.

I wish like hell they didn't...but I'll probably put it on and get distracted by it for a while, but I can't afford to go all-in like I used to. My evenings all either involve work, school, or writing projects. Maybe once a week do I have an evening to myself...but I definitely miss hockey on those nights.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Til the End of Time

i was joking about sports fans being more overweight than the average american. they are probably just about as fat as any other group.

i just find it funny that some of the biggest sports fans you see attending games are fat loads.

Quote:
please explain.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Oregon Trail > Twilight

Aside from that...

Old
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
MonsterSurge

You know it's bad when we start fighting about random, pointless things.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Zbynek

Quote:
2/3 of all americans are overweight or obese. i suspect the rates are even higher among people that watch espn and play fantasy football.
As an American who runs over 30 miles a week, I completely disagree here. I've been playing fantasy football for over 10 years now. We play with the same group of 10 guys every year and I would say maybe one of us is overweight.

Talk about generalizing the American culture.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
You know it's bad when we start fighting about random, pointless things.
No we're not... we're not fighting about anything. And your avatar sucks pal, so why don't you just shut it!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
please explain.
Spore ... Developed by Will Wright, the guy who created the Sims. The object of the game is to develop a species from a single cell organism to a spacefaring race.

Age of Empires ... Basic history, real time strategy

Those two are older examples, but still ... there are games that are art based, or emphasize science. Lots of puzzle types of games, from very simple games like Tetris to games like Myst and Mushroom Men. And lots of games that require problem solving skills. There are also games that are specifically designed to be educational. 'Play' is a pretty traditional way of learning ... just because it's in the format of a video game doesn't automatically mean it's going to rot your brain ... that's what reality TV is for

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
No we're not... we're not fighting about anything. And your avatar sucks pal, so why don't you just shut it!

I was ready to throw a cookie at you until I saw the face. Well, played, Joe Jr.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
Oh boy! Don't want to come a cross as a pompous *****, but your statement...whoa!
is so wrong on so many levels, and I undersand it is your opinion, but leave me just shaking my head
don't worry, you don't come across as pompous. You come across as ignorant.

Quote:
please explain.
lots of video games involve reading. its a bit less work on the imagination due to the graphics, but the reading is still there. This part does seem to be going away as voice acting is becoming more and more prevalent

video game improve the following skills
problem solving
critical thinking
visual awareness
multitasking
dexterity
reaction time
social skills
creativity
teamwork

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...f-video-games/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaand...y-video-games/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...f-video-games/

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/1...deo_Games.html

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-_p...eo-games/val1s

obviously not every game is great for these things. but then again, Twilight and fifty shades of grey exist.

seriously, video games are tremendous tools when used properly.

ps: reading a book is worse for your eyes than playing a computer game

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 11-12-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
11-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
i love number munchers. first computer game I can remember ever playing. No wonder I added a Math minor in college for the fun of it. Actually, considering where my degree has taken me maybe I should have read a book instead

Old
11-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
11-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
11-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
don't worry, you don't come across as pompous. You come across as ignorant.

lots of video games involve reading. its a bit less work on the imagination due to the graphics, but the reading is still there. This part does seem to be going away as voice acting is becoming more and more prevalent

video game improve the following skills
problem solving
critical thinking
visual awareness
multitasking
dexterity
reaction time
social skills
creativity
teamwork

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...f-video-games/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaand...y-video-games/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...f-video-games/

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/1...deo_Games.html

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-_p...eo-games/val1s

obviously not every game is great for these things. but then again, Twilight and fifty shades of grey exist.

seriously, video games are tremendous tools when used properly.

ps: reading a book is worse for your eyes than playing a computer game
those links are fine and dandy, and sure some games are intellectually stimulating (but to the poster who said age of empires? i love the game but come on), but the average book is significantly more enriching and educational than your average video game.

also that last line about reading being worse for your eyes than computer games is disingenuous. studies show that sitting to close to the TV/ipad/computer is not bad for your eyes contrary to popular opinion, true. but the notion that reading makes vision worse is very questionable. it can definitely temporarily fatigue your eye muscles and cause headaches. there have been a few studies that have shown a very slight association between higher levels of education (a proxy for more reading) and poor vision, but every ophthalmologist agrees that genetics and other environmental factors play a way, way bigger role than reading. the ophtho community overall doesnt endose the idea that reading impairs vision long term.

so basically my point is, the average book is > than average video game in terms of educational value. we can argue extremes in either case but i'm talking about the bulk of games/books.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

and I'm talking about things other than educational value. like the list of other benefits I provided. I never said video games had more educational value than books. Though I would argue that problem solving and critical thinking skills are very important forms of education, and both are better learned through the interactivity of a video game than through simply reading a book. The average book is definitely more educational as far as learning facts and whatnot; but the average book doesn't do much to develop reaction times, visual awareness or dexterity either.

I'm not trying to badmouth books. they are great. but video games without a doubt have some developmental advantages that books do not. that's all I was saying. I'm sure books have their own advantages too.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 11-13-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

I learned I was a bad ass because I wasn't afraid to play "The Immortal" late at night with all of the lights off in my room:

I learned that I was even more bad ass because I was ranked in the top 100 Socom players in the world and I was ranked top ten in the world for Castles (Warcraft 2)... All without ever joining a clan. Ya you read that **** right. Clans are for <%$KLoWNS%^>.

DarkYoda didn't need no clan.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote