HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line be broken up for scoring depth?

View Poll Results: Should Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole be broken up?
Yes 43 43.00%
No 57 57.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-12-2012, 08:27 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
I definetly think that Cole and Desharnais should be playing together. Their weaknesses and strenghts are simply so complimentary, it would be a disservice to separate them.

Cole has the energy and speed to cross the neutral zone like the Flash. The man has amazing acceleration and top speed. He knows how to receive a pass while accelerating, and use his speed to overcome the defensement on the outside.

Desharnais is a good puck-stealer. Agile hands in puck battles, and quite the sneak in passing lanes. He also just feels when Cole is already firing up and usually connect passes very effectively.

Cole being so fast forces the other Ds to either be very deep in our zone to prevent passing lanes to Cole, or not being deep as all to have the mobility to stop him. Either way, this creates opportunities to Desharnais.

Plekanek is kind of a mixed bag between the two. He is fast, and intelligent in his passing lane interception. He usually doesn't need somebody to pass to puck to, he is fast and energetic enough to do it by himself. What he needs is someone to pick up fast after him to open up side-passing on the breakaway or rebound recovering. Patch is well suited for that role, IHMO. But Gionta is usually also very skilled for that role.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Bourque - Desharnais - Cole
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Eller - Galchenyuk - Armstrong
Moen - White - Prust

I don't mind giving Desharnais Bourque on his wing - that way when he continues to score we can still hear that he's only scoring because Cole and Bourque are big.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
I voted to keep the 2.5 line together, but I ain't sure anymore. What's key in my opinion is Bourque and his level of compete.

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
I don't like this line. I'm not confident at all with points production from this line.

Cole - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - X
Moen - Eller - Armstrong

Or

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
X - Plekanec - Gionta
X - Eller - Bourque

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Unless there's evidence Desharnais can't produce with any other winger I don't see why it would be a negative.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:59 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Bourque - Desharnais - Cole
Eller - Galchenyuk - Armstrong
Moen - White - Prust

I don't mind giving Desharnais Bourque on his wing - that way when he continues to score we can still hear that he's only scoring because Cole and Bourque are big.
Not a bad idea to have Bourque play with Desharnais. He might have more chemistry with him than with Plekanec.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Nedved

pacioretty-dd-cole
bourque-pleks-gionta
armstrong-eller-leblanc
prust-gomez-moen

man, that is a sad line-up.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Mr. Hab

You can always reunite them later...

So , separate them because one good line is not enough.

Also, not fair that Plekanec can't even play with at least one of our best power forwards...

Desharnais is very crafty...let's see him help others wake up their careers (ex: Bourque, Gomez).

3-4 good lines >>>>>>> one line team

There are so many options to try during a regular season...and injuries happen. Desharnais has got to get used to other players not named Cole or Pacioretty:

Cole/Bourque/Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Pacioretty
Galchenyuk/Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta/Armstrong/ Gomez
Moen/Prust/Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Moen/Prust - White - Armstrong
Gomez
(or...you can put Desharnais on the wing with Galchenyuk as center...in the long run I DEFINITELY want Galchenyuk as our CENTER...Desharnais is 5'5 - 5'6...Galchy is 6'1-6'2...it's too perfect!! ex: Desharnais - Galchenyuk - Armstrong/Moen/Prust...for protection).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
stubbadub

What about trying Quailer one the wing after next season? From what I took away from the summer camp is that he's ready to take on the challenge of the big game and has a huge physique aside from his injuries. He's right handed too. Play Cole with Eller or Gally to break them out of the playpen.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Andy

Quailer? He isn't anywhere close to ready and still has a lot to prove.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Voted yes, but only in the future.

This season, no.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Stephaaane

Cole-Plekanec-Gionta (VET line)
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque (2.5 revisited)
Armstrong-Eller-Prust (Shutdown line)
Moen-Nokoleinen/Gomez-White (Energy line)

Sincerely, seems legit. On paper, looks ok. Not a contender line-up, but a playoffs line-up nonetheless

Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
With a healthy roster, the lines I would first try out would be:

Plekanec along side Cole/Leblanc. Now, question marks around Leblanc obviously, but he is a two way player and I felt he played pretty well last year with sheltered minutes. It would be interesting to see how he handles the big match ups next to two great two way players.

DD would be with MaxPac and Bourque. The latter one cannot handle top opposition along side Plekanec, not if we base our opinion off last year. I also feel DD's style would compliment him better than Plek's as he likes to distribute the puck more. Bourque needs to open up, he has a nice release, with a center that has a good vision and is a good passer, he'd get more opportunities. I think having MaxPac on the other side as a driving PF force would also relieve some pressure off Bourque from being the big guy that always needs to crash. Only question mark here is who can handle playing off wing.
Give these guys the most o-zone starts, versus 2nd tier opposition.

Eller would get Gionta and Moen as our shutdown line. The reason I put Moen there ahead of Armstrong or Prust is because he's played with Eller last year and did well, but you could try them out to see who fits there best. I also placed Gionta there instead of Leblanc because I feel the latter needs to be next to more offensively skilled players, and the former brings a more proven offensive touch to the third line. If that line proves itself capable of handling tough match ups, then they can split that duty with Plekanec's. as for the starts, it'll depend on how Eller's face off percentage go. If he does well, then they can get the most d-starts.
If Plek's line get the toughest match ups, then this line should be more than capable of providing offense versus weaker opponents. Very similar to the Eller-AK-Moen trio of last season that dominated their opposition more often than not. Eller has bulked up though, am very curious to see how he puts it to use. Gionta and Leblanc can be switched around if Leblanc can't handle the top line duties.

Noke with Armstrong and Prust. These three can also be used as a shutdown line and get D starts if Noke does well in the FO circle. They form a decent trio as an energy line too.

Obvious benchwarmer, Gomez.

For the PP, I don't mind putting DD back with Cole and MaxPac. But many combinations can be tried. Likewise for the PK.
Sounds like a solid plan.

More balance, more versatility, no player is in the wrong spot.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Mahleezer

I was calling it late last season.

I was hoping our coach would break up the first line in order to make experiments.

I mean we were out of the playoffs and losing a couple extra games wouldn't make a difference.

I would definitely break up the top line to generate more balanved offense.

I would like to see the following this year... if there is a year.

Cole - Desharnais - Bourque
Moen - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - x - Whyte

Max Pac has had success wth Pleky in the past. Gionta as well.

Desharnais is still surrounded by 2 big guys in Cole and Bourque to protect him and open up the ice for him to keep making plays.

And Eller gets 2 energy wingers one of them being Moen with which he had some chemistry at times last year.

Bourque is my worry in the top 9 but we have no choice.
I just hope playing with a couple of veterans can straighten him out or at least Cole can keep him honest.

I'd like to see these lines in training camp or early on in season games. See how it pans out... I believe 10 games together will help the players gel and th coach to get a better idea of where they stand.

Anyways my 2 cents.

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:36 PM
NotProkofievian

I said yes only because I would agree with breaking them up if it made the team better.

I just thought that Gally would play great with Cole and DD. I remember DD playing well on wing, if only briefly, so perhaps they could switch between center and wing as the situation requires.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
With a healthy roster, the lines I would first try out would be:

Plekanec along side Cole/Leblanc. Now, question marks around Leblanc obviously, but he is a two way player and I felt he played pretty well last year with sheltered minutes. It would be interesting to see how he handles the big match ups next to two great two way players.

DD would be with MaxPac and Bourque. The latter one cannot handle top opposition along side Plekanec, not if we base our opinion off last year. I also feel DD's style would compliment him better than Plek's as he likes to distribute the puck more. Bourque needs to open up, he has a nice release, with a center that has a good vision and is a good passer, he'd get more opportunities. I think having MaxPac on the other side as a driving PF force would also relieve some pressure off Bourque from being the big guy that always needs to crash. Only question mark here is who can handle playing off wing.
Give these guys the most o-zone starts, versus 2nd tier opposition.

Eller would get Gionta and Moen as our shutdown line. The reason I put Moen there ahead of Armstrong or Prust is because he's played with Eller last year and did well, but you could try them out to see who fits there best. I also placed Gionta there instead of Leblanc because I feel the latter needs to be next to more offensively skilled players, and the former brings a more proven offensive touch to the third line. If that line proves itself capable of handling tough match ups, then they can split that duty with Plekanec's. as for the starts, it'll depend on how Eller's face off percentage go. If he does well, then they can get the most d-starts.
If Plek's line get the toughest match ups, then this line should be more than capable of providing offense versus weaker opponents. Very similar to the Eller-AK-Moen trio of last season that dominated their opposition more often than not. Eller has bulked up though, am very curious to see how he puts it to use. Gionta and Leblanc can be switched around if Leblanc can't handle the top line duties.

Noke with Armstrong and Prust. These three can also be used as a shutdown line and get D starts if Noke does well in the FO circle. They form a decent trio as an energy line too.

Obvious benchwarmer, Gomez.

For the PP, I don't mind putting DD back with Cole and MaxPac. But many combinations can be tried. Likewise for the PK.
There's just no way for me that Leblanc even starts the year in Montreal. Yet I totally agree that MaxPac and DD stays together. So put Gio with Pleks and Cole. And put Bourque with DD and MaxPac. I'd have Prust with Eller and Moen. And Armstrong with Gomez and White.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
There's just no way for me that Leblanc even starts the year in Montreal. Yet I totally agree that MaxPac and DD stays together. So put Gio with Pleks and Cole. And put Bourque with DD and MaxPac. I'd have Prust with Eller and Moen. And Armstrong with Gomez and White.
Well Leblanc played 3 games only before getting injured. Unfortunate. But yes, I would try him out. If really he shows poor things at camp, then I'd try out Armstrong with Plek. He played with Crosby before, him with Plek and Cole could be an interesting combination especially if he's back to form. It would also give Plekanec two bigger guys to help him out in terms of physicality, that would be a first for him in Mtl.
Worst case, you bring up Gionta, and play around the Eller line. But I just think Eller needs a good offensive winger next to him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:05 AM
tinyzombies

No, just sign Jagr.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:08 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Well Leblanc played 3 games only before getting injured. Unfortunate. But yes, I would try him out. If really he shows poor things at camp, then I'd try out Armstrong with Plek. He played with Crosby before, him with Plek and Cole could be an interesting combination especially if he's back to form. It would also give Plekanec two bigger guys to help him out in terms of physicality, that would be a first for him in Mtl.
Worst case, you bring up Gionta, and play around the Eller line. But I just think Eller needs a good offensive winger next to him.
This kid has a wicked snapper in warm-ups, and is a savvy passer and escape artist. I could see him as a finisher if he makes it. That's it. He should read pages 79-80 of Brett Hull's autobiography. I believe in the kid. But he needs to use his brains.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:15 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gio and Max are shooters - need to be on different lines. Max-DD have chemistry. Pleks-Gio have chmestry. But Bourque and Gio is a bad idea. Not creative enough, and Pleks is really just a straight passer, not a creator. Gomez has gone on record mocking Gionta's inability to share the puck. And Pleky is really a transition guy. DD is more of a post-up guy who can zag around and find someone (Max).

So, you have to keep Max-DD-Cole. But if we are a Cup contender, we need to find two other scoring lines (aside from our *****cat defense).

Max-DD-Cole
Armstrong-Pleks-Gio (except Army and Pleks will egg each other on to take macho penalties?)
Bourque-Gomez-Eller (who will get the puck?)
Moen-Noky/WHite-Prust

Is Galchenyuk ready?

Match that against the Kings lines. They brought up two young monsters on the third line and had a trad checking line... Might be a thought.

Max-DD-Cole
Bourque-Pleks-Gio
Even that doesn't match the Kings.

Shutdown line: nowhere close to having Stoll with King.

Perspective.

We can keep DD if he's carried by two big guys who can score.
Pleks need major help, even as a second line scorer. None of our guys can give him that after a loaded first line.
We don't have a third line center than can dominate. Eller is not the guy. He's like Bourque. He has to score or forget it.

So:

Max-DD-Cole
Bourque-Pleks-Galchenyuk (or, Gio/Jagr until he's ready)
Prust-Gomez-Eller
Moen-Noky/White-Armstrong

Not a fan of Gio, Gomez, Eller, Bourque, Leblanc. Prove me wrong.

Our defense needs a big guy to complement. And a healthy Markov.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 11-13-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Bourque and Plekanec shouldnt play together.
Plekanec is suited to play a shutdown role, which is absolutely not the strongest part of Bourque's game.
Gionta is also a question mark at this stage, and at 33, he shouldnt be relied on either, regarding the most difficult matchups. And since the only other options (for wingers) are Pacioretty and Cole, you have no choice but to split them up.

Having a good exploitation line is fine and cool, but when you dont have any true trio ready to matchup against the best players of the opponent, its one step forwards and two step backs. As for gionta, I agree you shouldnt rely on him as being the primary guy, which is why it makes perfect sense for him to be on the 2nd unit.

There is a lot of good reasons if none of the teams are using such a setup when they're short on good wingers.
He's a guy who can play both ends and put up 70 points. Bourque can be defensive liability, but so was kovalev, and that didnt prevent plekanec from being effective. I'm not saying bourque is kovalev, just saying that neither of them are known for defensive traits.

If you can get 20 goals from gionta and bourque, something that both guys are very capable of, then you have a very successful 2nd line. Plekanec can be the playmaker to make that happen.

The bigger concerns for this club lie in the bottom 6, where the team traded skill for sandpaper. I dont see many goals coming from there, even by bottom 6 standards.

Last edited by Hackett: 11-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

You wouldn't pre-plan to break them up, of course. It would be nice if Plekanec, Gionta, and ?Bourque? or whatnot could emerge such that you didn't have to. But who cares, lines hardly ever stick together, and we've got a new coach, a shortage of talent, and I'm sure we will have all kinds of combinations in play eventually. It's pretty much inevitable that it happens at some point. No point in trying to predict when, the circumstances which lead to the change will bring new information with them that make any discussion now irrelevant.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Picaroon

Not that I really think this line would work necessarily, more so a for a topic of debate/discussion, what do people think of this line-

Pacioretty---------Desharnais---------Gionta

Obviously the biggest arguement would be Gionta and DD being so small. But, when you ignore size completely, the styles of these three players compliment each other very well. DD is the playmaker with great vision, Pacs the hard skating power forward and Gio the speedy shooter. And for what it's worth, for such small guys, gio and dd very rarely get layed out.
Anyways, just adding to the discussion. As for the OP, I voted yes, but I wouldn't do it right away.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Kjell Dahlin

I hope for:

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Galchenyuk
Bourque – Desharnais – Cole
Moen – Eller – Gionta (a very solid shutdown line)
Prust – Nokelainen – White (we need that right handed face-offs specialist)

... so I voted yes. I am convinced that Desharnais can jumpstart big Bourque.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote