HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Oates and his season as an Oiler

Old
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
millpoo

vCash: 500
Adam Oates and his season as an Oiler

Today, Adam Oates was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame. History says he was a great player, but it will likely -- and fairly -- forget to mention that he finished his excellent career with the Edmonton Oilers. Unfortunately, his finale coincided with the beginning and end of the last lockout.

I was an Oiler fan back then, but I can't say I remember much about his play or contribution to the team.

From Hockey DB, his statline reads:

2003-04 Edmonton Oilers NHL 60 2 16 18 8 0 (GP G A P PIM +/-)

Clearly, Oates was just a shadow of his former production in his one season wearing Copper and Blue, but his contributions would surely be felt by the young squad down the line.

When the lockout ended and the play resumed the following year, the Oilers enjoyed breakout seasons from centres Shawn Horcoff and Jarret Stoll. Much of the players' newly-found success was found in the face off circle, an area of the game in which Oates was served as a crucial mentor.

This is as far as I go.

What do you remember about Adam Oates as an Edmonton Oiler? (Good, bad, ugly?)

Last edited by millpoo: 11-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.
millpoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Cerebral

He had a few classic Oates-like passes from behind the net but he was generally a shadow of his former self. I vaguely remember him either scoring an own goal on a pass pack to the point on a delayed penalty or coming really close to scoring.

His play in the faceoff circle was definitely impressive though and it's not surprising that this rubbed off big-time on Stoll and Horcoff. Overall it was a good addition at the time but he didn't bring the scoring depth the team was hoping for.

11-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Oates was effectively a coach who just so happened to be playing every night during his season with the Oil. He really helped Horcoff and Stoll and sewed the seeds for their strong 05/06 seasons so he definitely paid dividends.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:31 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

sort of amazing the red wings let him go. Any one know what they got in return for him? Also can't believe is 92-93 season. one of the greatest in history. 142 points and 45 goals, 45 goals from a set up man, not bad!!

ps guess the wings got Bernie Federko and Tony Mckegney.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
Today, Adam Oates was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame. History says he was a great player, but it will likely -- and fairly -- forget to mention that he finished his excellent career with the Edmonton Oilers. Unfortunately, his finale coincided with the beginning and end of the last lockout.

I was an Oiler fan back then, but I can't say I remember much about his play or contribution to the team.

From Hockey DB, his statline reads:
GP G A P PIM +/-
2003-04 Edmonton Oilers NHL 60 2 16 18 8 0

Clearly, Oates was just a shadow of his former production in his one season wearing Copper and Blue, but his contributions would surely be felt by the young squad down the line.

When the lockout ended and the play resumed the following year, the Oilers enjoyed breakout seasons from centres Shawn Horcoff and Jarret Stoll. Much of the players' newly-found success was found in the face off circle, an area of the game in which Oates was served as a crucial mentor.

This is as far as I go.

What do you remember about Adam Oates as an Edmonton Oiler? (Good, bad, ugly?)
He had a huge impact on shaping some of our players at the time. In the face-off circle is the obvious. How he positioned players based on who he was facing on the draw was another- saw a lot of that- and noticed Horcoff/Stoll doing a lot more. One important one people forget was Oates was an excellent penalty killer throughout his career- and he clearly imparted that wisdom on the young team. I am and always will be a big Oates fan

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:22 AM
PumpkinBomb

He taught stoll how to win faceoffs; which was a huge asset for our '06 run

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 450
I don't think there was anything ugly about Oates' stint as an Oiler. I just remember that it was so cool to have a future HHOFer closing out his career with us. There weren't any real expectations on him or the team, and he didn't receive any real undue criticism from intelligent fans.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
popo

I thought the pickup had horrible optics. The team wouldn't pay Comrie, a fan favorite, and then shelled out over 2 Million dollars for Oates who really was borderline 4th line center by then.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:18 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I don't think there was anything ugly about Oates' stint as an Oiler. I just remember that it was so cool to have a future HHOFer closing out his career with us. There weren't any real expectations on him or the team, and he didn't receive any real undue criticism from intelligent fans.
At the time Oates had a lot of criticism on the boards if I remember correctly.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Oilerdiehard

The Oil were so pathetically inept and struggling soooo badly on face offs that year. That when he won a bunch of draws in his first few games the whole building would cheer almost like a goal had been scored haha. I remember Oates saying that he was embarrassed about his game and embarrassed that that is all he could give them to cheer about or something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
I thought the pickup had horrible optics. The team wouldn't pay Comrie, a fan favorite, and then shelled out over 2 Million dollars for Oates who really was borderline 4th line center by then.
It was 2 million? I was thinking it was 1 million for some reason. Anyway, the two seasons before that he had 78 points and then 45 points in 65+ games. Still some nice numbers entering the dead puck, low scoring era, I mean not bad number for "a 4th line center by then". By they I assume you mean the last couple seasons prior to joining the Oilers? I mean heck even the season before he came to the Oil you have a pretty wicked offense if your 4th line guy is putting up 45 points.

I won't disagree once he suited up finally for the Oilers, after not having training camp, preseason or the start of the regular season, he was a shadow of his former self at that point.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 11-15-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:32 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
To be fair, Comrie had what, 2 good years after he left (and not successive)? Instead we got one of the assets that helped us land Pronger, as well as draft a promising prospect (who happened to bust) and a guy who turned into a decent AHL dman. It might have looked bad, but we came out of it pretty well

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:50 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
To be fair, Comrie had what, 2 good years after he left (and not successive)? Instead we got one of the assets that helped us land Pronger, as well as draft a promising prospect (who happened to bust) and a guy who turned into a decent AHL dman. It might have looked bad, but we came out of it pretty well
Of course, if Lowe hadn't flipped out over the signing bonus we would've got Perry and Anahiem's 1st that became Smid for Comrie....

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:00 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Of course, if Lowe hadn't flipped out over the signing bonus we would've got Perry and Anahiem's 1st that became Smid for Comrie....
I'm glad he did. If we got Perry, we'd be just good enough to keep going nowhere just like Calgary

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:13 AM
korqeldroma

Oates centered a line with Moreau on his wing for the bulk of his stay in Edmonton, IIRC. That was also the year Ethan hit 20 goals.

His mentoring of Stoll and Horcoff was the biggest payoff, easily.

korqeldroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:24 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
i thought oates got 4M for that season

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:34 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 330
I know a lot of people like what Oates did for Horc and Stoll, but I remember him saying that they were the ones that were willing to learn. Seems to be something that we haven't had from guys up until this past season. You can have the best teacher in the world, but if your students rather go play video games instead of spending an extra 20 minutes after classing learning than it doesn't matter.

As for Oates, congrats. Seemed to be one of those guys that no one hated and was well liked. Kinda wish we would've brought him in as an assistant after he retired but oh well.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

all I remember is that Oates didn't score a goal in his 1st 40 or so games or something like that
that was back in the day when the Oilers were crying poor so getting someone like him was a big deal

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Stoneman89

He was done on the ice by the time we got him. They should have just hired him as a faceoff coach instead.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
sort of amazing the red wings let him go. Any one know what they got in return for him? Also can't believe is 92-93 season. one of the greatest in history. 142 points and 45 goals, 45 goals from a set up man, not bad!!

ps guess the wings got Bernie Federko and Tony Mckegney.
What is even more amazing about that is he finished 3RD in the scoring race that year with numbers like that.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
the impact that oates left on Horcoff and Stoll in the faceoff circle alone was worth the season he played here. I remeber all the boys saluting him with their sticks all taped white just like he used to do. they obviously respected him alot and took what he had to teach and ran with it. Its not a surprise he is coaching right now imo.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Perfect_Drug

Loved him as a player, loved him as an Oiler.

Wish he won a cup.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
What is even more amazing about that is he finished 3RD in the scoring race that year with numbers like that.
21 players that year had 100+ points
14 50+ goal scorers
5 60+ goal scorers
2 70+ goal scorers

Old
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
21 players that year had 100+ points
14 50+ goal scorers
5 60+ goal scorers
2 70+ goal scorers
Brett Hull had 54 goals and 101 points, but was a -27.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I saw Perry at his first training camp and never thought he would make the NHL. He...couldn't...skate. Wanted to win more than an alcoholic needs a drink though. You can't teach that.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
i thought oates got 4M for that season
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-157669488.html

Slightly less than half of that number you have above.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote