HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Personal observations: a lot of fans I've talked to are so <disgusted/frustrated/angry/etc.>, they simply want to know when things are starting up again.

Others are starting to indicate things getting to the breaking point ("That's all I can stand; I can't stand no more") and they are preparing to walk away.

These are not casual "once a season I turn the game on TV" but "diehards", STH, suite holders/sponsors.

And now some players comment on their concerns over waning fan passion
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...952/story.html

Quote:
“It’s very dangerous,” Canadiens NHLPA rep Gorges said of waning fan interest. “That’s something we’ve talked about since the start. The league is not just hurting the players by locking us out. There are a lot of people who love hockey and they’re starting to lose their passion. They don’t want to sit here and listen to this."
More and more these days, you’re hearing fans say they simply don’t care about hockey. This could be merely the impatient voice of frustration, an anger instantly forgotten when/if a deal is finally struck.

Or …

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I would like to cancel my 5 season tickets in an act of anger/frustration, but somebody will buy them 2 minutes later.

That's what's frustrating in a hockey market like Vancouver.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I would like to cancel my 5 season tickets in an act of anger/frustration, but somebody will buy them 2 minutes later.

That's what's frustrating in a hockey market like Vancouver.
I would do the same thing but they would just call one of the 8000 people on the waiting list! Fans WILL be back as strong as ever.

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:44 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Gorges
That’s something we’ve talked about since the start. The league is not just hurting the players by locking us out.
“We want to be playing hockey and we’ve said from the start that we could be playing. There’s no reason that we’re not. We could play while we keep working out a deal. We want to get a deal done but it’s tough when you can’t negotiate.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gionta
Unfortunately, it seems to be on the deadline of Gary, what he wants to be doing and what he has planned here.

“He’s got a blueprint and he seems to be sticking to it, with no regard for the game or the players.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pacioretty
It seems to be always coming down to the same issue, when people talk to me about it, and the issue’s Gary Bettman. To tell you the truth, I’ve heard enough about it today. It’s my first time hearing about it in quite a while. There’s one big problem with the lockout and I think we know what it is.”

Sounds like Stubbs was really asking them the hard-hitting questions.

TBH, my "anger and disgust" has more to do with player statements like those above. I understand that lockouts happen, and labor strife gets ugly. But take some damned responsibility for YOUR PART in making this happen. Enough of this "we just want to play" bull**** that only a child would believe.

I've given some thought to cancelling my season tickets, but I think that would send the wrong signal. My problem isn't anger with the league, it's that I'm going to have a very hard time rooting for these guys when they hit the ice again. Last time I felt that way it had to do with baseball.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:47 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
I would do the same thing but they would just call one of the 8000 people on the waiting list! Fans WILL be back as strong as ever.
In some cities they will, in others they will not.

Even the most passionate of us are getting disgruntled but the apparent lack of 'give a damn' by either side. This game is so important, blah blah blah. This history of this league is important, blah blah blah. Well really? Start playing again,act like it matters. I'm beginning to think the game doesn't.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Yes players, keep implying you are blameless. Idiots.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:38 PM
mranderson

As long as my Senators remain a "feasible" hockey team - and not become like say, the Pittsburgh Pirates - I will remain an "NHL fan."

But of course, this is from the point of view of having to cheer for a small market team.

mranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 570
Meh, my passion is gone. I just check in occasionally to see if anything new has come up.

The answer is invariably "no". I've actually started watching football again.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think it would be healthy for the game in the long run if fans let the the league and players know they've had enough. A few years of decreasing revenue should do the trick.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:00 AM
DuklaNation

My passion for the sport has slowly declined these past yrs even before this lockout. The game has gotten boring in their attempt to achieve perceived parity.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:04 AM
T-Funk

I'm really having trouble determining how to vent my anger towards the players without doing the same to the NHL as a whole.

Stopped following any player on twitter and maybe I'll just not wear any player specific jerseys anymore. (players will not notice this at all so it's all a waste)

I have one jersey without a name so maybe I'll put

NHLPA
$$ on it somehow

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

I love hockey, always have and always will. This lockout will never change my love, dedication and passion for hockey.

I've been a Canucks fan for over 20 years. Honestly, I'm not sure I could just "walk away". The disenchanted, disappointed part of me wishes/wants to walk away... There are other sources of hockey out there, college, minor league even beer league. Leagues without ridiculous ticket prices and labour strife.... But, none of them are my Canucks.

At this point, I'm really torn between returning to the team I love and walking away.

BLAAAH! What's a girl to do? Stop the madness! Just friggin' stop it already!

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:25 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I normally watch 75+ games a season and try to attend at least ten regular season games and one game per playoff round. I have not cared one bit that the NHL is locked out. I would like to have hockey back, but it was pretty easy to adjust from spending a lot of money and time to not spending a lot of money and time.

I suspect i care so little because i prepared myself ahead of time that this season was going to be cancelled. I just have no faith in the players or owners.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:58 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I've been a die hard NHL fans for years but I'm waning myself. I won't lie and say I won't be back when the puck drops again, but as of right now I haven't watched the NHLN since July, I don't have any plans on going 3-4 hours to the "local" NHL barn, I haven't put aside any money for Center Ice, I've told people to get me other things instead of the usual NHL merchandise for the holidays, and I quit following several players on Twitter. People thought having a more open social media would help keep fans informed on this round of the CBA, but I've found myself the more inundated with all this "information", the more it makes me roll my eyes and not care.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Yeah.. I started coming here for updates less and less, because every time I come here I see the same **** about how nothing's really getting done.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

I find it ironic that the lockout is essentially happening to protect the teams in non-hockey markets, but it's only the non-hockey market teams that will be negatively affected by the lockout.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Bongo

I've been a hardcore hockey fan for over 35 years. I still love the sport but no longer care much about the NHL. I'll watch a game if it's on TV but no more Center Ice, jerseys, ect. And this has nothing to do with the lockout. Trust me, Gary Bettman doesn't give two ***** about the fans.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:52 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

I'll be done with hockey for good unless the league makes some grand gesture that really shows they care about us.

Something like putting "thank you fans" on the ice would do the trick just fine.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Guy

I've been very meh on this all along, but I'm sure someone will come along and tell me that since I'm wasting my time posting on a message board that I care deeply about the daily ins and outs of the lockout. I unfollowed every hockey related twitter and facebook feed, not interested in hearing about my team or the league's "news" unless it's about the lockout being over. I intend to cancel my season tickets this week, but not really out of any kind of anger. I just don't care at this point if they play this year, and I don't want them to have my money anymore. I like to read what people are saying about the lockout on here, but I find myself not caring if it ends.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
CerebralGenesis

Obviously the players aren't any reason behind the lockout. Joke. That's my big takeaway, they still feel like they are the innocent party here.

Fans don't care who's fault it is when both sides, making millions and billions, are fighting for percentages of money.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
whskybarJM

it all boils down to a personal beliefs to be honest. the league could absolutely care less about those who are willing to walk away.

they do not deserve my time or money. The amount I've save already makes me happy enough to not care and The favorite players I grew up watching are all now pretty much retired.

The current and future casual fan is the majority and what the NHL/NHLPA covets. They know they can make money off this group and only a minority cares enough to walk away from the league.

I'll watch the playoffs and go to a game comped by my company. They will not get a dime out of my pocket though.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:17 AM
paulster2626

I check for updates on this constantly. I want hockey to come back soooo bad. My wallet is ready like a spring to pop open and contribute to some good ol' HRR when I'm able to again.

I love NHL hockey, and I really want it to come back. I am not being sarcastic.

Give me the opportunity to become a Leafs STH and I won't even think twice. I am Gary Bettman's best friend.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

You want a salary capped, "parity" league, you're going to have to accept the acrimonious labour situation that comes with it.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

I believe the repercussions of a season long lockout will be similar to what we see in baseball in 1994. Josh Georges does have a good point about the fact that fan apathy is much worse than it was in 2004.

In 2004, the fans were 100% behind the owners and their quest to change the economic landscape and implement a salary cap. This was especially supportive in small markets like Edmonton and Calgary who were sick and tired of big market teams like Toronto and New York raiding their top talents because they can afford to pay what these players ask.

This lockout is sheer greed shown on both sides. I blame both sides equally. I blame the owners for orchestrating the whole CBA talks in a very short-sided matter, especially with that initial offer back in July to piss off the PA. I would argue if the NHL offered 50/50 back in July, we would've had a full season. The players are just as much to blame. Sure I understand their whole "principle" stance, but at the end of the day, they're millionaires and its hard for working class citizens like myself to have any sympathy.

With that said, a lost season because millionaires and billionaires can't figure out how to divide a 3.3 billion dollar revenue pie isn't going to fly with fans. The last lockout, the NHL had so many assets to market their game: Crosby, Ovechkin, new rule changes, shootouts etc. What does the NHL have this time to win back fans?

This is going to be like post-MLB strike IMO. Attendance will drop especially in prominent American markets. Revenue takes a hit and loss of sponsors. We all know how devastating the strike was on baseball and it took years for the league to recover.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
You want a salary capped, "parity" league, you're going to have to accept the acrimonious labour situation that comes with it.
Well, didn't we lose a season to bring stability LONG-TERM to the league?

We were fooled!

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote