HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jamie Benn is Shy

Old
11-12-2012, 10:53 PM
TrillMike

vCash: 500
People keep saying that most hockey players are humble. It's true. They (collectively) are the most "down-to-Earth" athletes around. I would probably rank baseball players second on the most humble list. There's probably a lot of reasons for it, but I attribute it to two main ones.

Hockey requires by far the most parental support. Whether it's driving/flying to rinks all over North America, buying equipment or just playing the game in the driveway (for us in the South, you lucky guys way North of me had backyard rinks) and fixing stuff broken by pucks. The other thing that makes them so normal is the fact that most of them didn't get even a 1/10th of the spotlight/praise that other up and coming athletes get in the USA. Most of these guys can remember the long bus trips; living away from home at a young age; some even get traded in junior.

I said this on page two, I think it went noticed:

Everything I've heard about him (from guys I know that work with the team) is that Benn is the complete opposite. In fact, one guy told me that he goes out of his way to help the equipment guys do their jobs. He helped them take all the gear and suitcases off of the plane last year on a road trip (don't remember which trip, but it was snowing). He even asked GMJN to be sent down to help the Texas Stars 2 years ago after Dallas's season ended.

Him being "shy" or uncomfortable with the media actually makes a lot of sense. The guy flew completely under everyone's radar playing for the Rockets of the WHL. He gets picked 129th overall in 2007 and eventually explodes. This whole attention thing is still pretty new to him. He's not alone though. There are probably hundreds of players who prefer staying away from the media.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Overreacting or not, the bottom line is that was a very poor choice of words by Benn. Hilarious and pathetic how many of these so called patriotic Canadian kids are intimidated by the prospects of playing in a native environment with added pressure and attention. Should drive athletes to excel. Doesnt seem to be a problem for most American athletes, thats for sure. Have fun winning nothing in Dallas Jamie.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:16 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Overreacting or not, the bottom line is that was a very poor choice of words by Benn. Hilarious and pathetic how many of these so called patriotic Canadian kids are intimidated by the prospects of playing in a native environment with added pressure and attention. Should drive athletes to excel. Doesnt seem to be a problem for most American athletes, thats for sure. Have fun winning nothing in Dallas Jamie.
Oh yean, Canadian teams have really been winning alot of cups lately.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Frank Garrett

When I was in Dallas, I asked the shuttle bus driver about one of the girls who worked at the front desk because she was kind of cute. He said she used to date Jamie Benn but then it ended and added that "he's kind of a player." lol

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:31 PM
HatTricK09

Oh, so now we're gonna give crap to a player saying he likes to play in a place with barely any media attention?
Seriously... plenty of players have said that in the past and its their choice to make, not ours.
As much as I'd love to have star players sign for the Habs, if they stay away from my team because of the media then so be it, we'll find others who will gladly play here.

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
premadonna

So he likes to play in Dallas, because no one there cares about hockey or the local team? That's kind of sad lol

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:58 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoluutio View Post
So he likes to play in Dallas, because no one there cares about hockey and their team? lol
Lol. Ya, no one in the 5th biggest US market cares about hockey. Is that the reason that I can be at 8 different rinks in under an hour? I'm not even going to bother bringing up attendance from 98-06 or how it skyrocketed after Gaglardi bought the team. Get a clue before you post.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
So he likes to play in Dallas, because no one there cares about hockey or the local team? That's kind of sad lol
Or hey maybe he just really likes living in Dallas.

His point wasn't said all that well. But it should be pointed out guys like Lidstrom and Datsyuk have spoken up about not being huge fans of the media crush in Canada in particular at All-star events. They both skipped the event in Montreal and were suspended for it. They play in a pretty decent hockey market where they are hounded by the media, not to Toronto or Montreal levels but far from anonymous. The All-star game is about as bad as it gets. For a guy coming in for the first time it was probably very overwhelming.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:05 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Ridiculous.

Everyone's different. If I were an NHL player, I'd prefer not to play in Canada either.
It doesn't make me less Canadian, it just wouldn't suit my personality.

If I feel, I can perform better while under less pressure, then why not?

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:08 AM
MonsterSurge

I'd hate to play in a place like Toronto too. Every mistake you looks like you just blew up the world.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
It's really quite common. You will get the occasional UFA or player who doesn't want to play in Canada with all that scrutiny.

There is a huge difference between your average NHL player and the average NBA or NFL player. The NHL has made itself out to be a blue collar league. The other two have made themselves out to be celebrity leagues.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
ponder

Some guys love the spotlight/media attention, others don't. I really don't see a problem with that. Yes, these guys are professional entertainers, but most of the entertaining they do is on the ice, the off ice interviews and whatnot are a pretty minor part of it. Benn is a great player on the ice, that's really all that matters. I'd love to have Benn on the Leafs, but if he has no interest in playing in Toronto, he's absolutely free to never sign a contract there.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:41 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
don't know if this was talked about in other threads..(mod)

just bought the THN 2012-13 yearbook recently.....

read an article about jamie benn and i saw a comment by him that was disturbing...

here is the quote from the montreal gazette..

don't know if benn's comment was sarcastic/poking fun, or he really meant it....

if its the ladder, i can see why fans are anti-player in this lockout.........

if you have a player who refuses to play in canadian markets because his privacy might be compromised or can't deal media pressure, then players like him should be disrespcted....

benn is the example of the modern prima donna, diva like hockey player.... always wanting to dictate what teams to play for, mostly in US markets, when they waive their no-trade clause..

they're too soft to handle media pressure and refuses to be accountable to the media when his play on the ice begins to suck....

i think joe nieuwendyk probably had a great influence on benn, that playing in a canadian market is considered with some disdain... .....remember the salary dispute nieuwendyk had with the flames? he dearly wanted to get out of calgary....

it kinda sucks that the players want us to support them in this lockout, but at the same time refuses to play in a canadian market because the media there is too oppressive....or any trivial reasons to avoid them...
Why should Benn be disrespected for not wanting to deal with massive amounts of media? Some players like being able to pump gas without arrogant fans coming up and telling them how to play

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:44 AM
ponder

Quote:
You do realize the Stars won the cup in 1999, went to the finals in 2000, and went to the conference finals in 2008 and 1998, right? They also made the playoffs in 10 of 11 seasons from 1997-2008. They've haven't made the playoffs since 2008, but the west is strong and they've generally been quite close. They've been a pretty successful franchise, not exactly a perennial bottom feeder. Since they moved to Dallas they've been one of the more succesful franchises in the NHL.

In terms of their current team, I don't see them as weak at all. They've got a pretty sick set of forwards (Benn, Eriksson, Roy, Whitney, Jagr, Morrow, etc.), a great goalie (Lehtonen), and some decent dmen (Goligoski, Robidas, Daley, Larsen, Rome, etc.). Some pretty good prospects too (Campbell, Oleksiak, Faksa, etc.). I think they could easily be a solid playoff team next season (whenever that is), and they're set up well for the longer term as well.

Really, just no reason to see Dallas as a loser team, in terms of their past, their present, or their future.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
No it's because he's a huge Cowboys fan.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I'd hate to play in a place like Toronto too. Every mistake you looks like you just blew up the world.
It's not as bad here as people think. Other cities like Montreal I'd say, can be much more harsh. I don't think the media here is that bad, the media tends to put more pressure on management and ownership then the actual players. Not winning anything since 1967, not playing a meaningful game in a decade...I'd say there's much less pressure here than even small markets when the goal here since the lockout has simply been to make the playoffs. Anything after that was and still is considered gravy. Most fans think of the cup as the destination, ours is just to grab 8th place. Anything that come after that is icing on the cake. This is what happens when you're medocre or flat out bad for so long.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
It's not as bad here as people think. Other cities like Montreal I'd say, can be much more harsh. I don't think the media here is that bad, the media tends to put more pressure on management and ownership then the actual players. Not winning anything since 1967, not playing a meaningful game in a decade...I'd say there's much less pressure here than even small markets when the goal here since the lockout has simply been to make the playoffs. Anything after that was and still is considered gravy. Most fans think of the cup as the destination, ours is just to grab 8th place. Anything that come after that is icing on the cake. This is what happens when you're medocre or flat out bad for so long.
I worded that badly. I was just using Toronto as an example to show that some players like smaller markets.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Overreacting or not, the bottom line is that was a very poor choice of words by Benn. Hilarious and pathetic how many of these so called patriotic Canadian kids are intimidated by the prospects of playing in a native environment with added pressure and attention. Should drive athletes to excel.
That's ridiculous beyond belief. Why would talking to more journalists drive one to excel? If you need media validation or attention to drive you to excel, there's something terribly wrong with your attitude as a professional athlete to begin with. Noone really cares about the pressure. To many, it's just uncomfortable as hell to do have your focus drawn off by the media - focus on hockey (as it's actually played on the ice) as much as on your life, because beings generally don't get to live up to their professional upside when they are not comfortable in other aspects of their life. Anyone who'd use this to attack Benn or anyone over this only illustrates a lack of empathy.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:56 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
okay...

i did not know he was shy....

too bad the THN did not mention his shyness....
You, sir, are a trip...

What the heck does it matter if he's shy or not? And how does that transfer into him being anti-Canadian-market teams? LOL.

The hilariousness in all of this is that you're probably Canadian and offended by his shyness...

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Holy close-mindedness....

Think about what you just typed...

Old
11-13-2012, 03:58 AM
DRWCountryClub

I know a lot of people think Canadians are polite, nice, shy, respectful, whatever, but when it comes to hockey and sports teams, we're some of the most arrogant and ignorant people out there, in my opinion.

This is a perfect example of that. Benn doesn't want to play in Canada. Big deal. People say it was a poor choice of words? How exactly, he was honest and inoffensive. But some Canadian hockey fans will get their panties in a knot because he doesn't want to play in his home country for a Canadian franchise, unpatriotic, blah blah blah.

Sure, as a regular guy, I love living in Canada and this is a great country, but if you can't see why a shy person(who happens to be an athlete) wouldn't want to play out their career here, you're really lacking something upstairs. You're probably like the idiot who wanted to fight me(true story) because I liked a Russian(Ovechkin) more than Crosby and was glad he won ROTY.

This same guy would not believe me that Canada didn't win anything in the 06 Olympics. It's just mind boggling, and this country is filled with fans like this. The World Juniours brings out the worst too... Anyway I'm rambling.

Also, got a good laugh of the guy trying to make fun of the Stars franchise.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:03 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I know a lot of people think Canadians are polite, nice, shy, respectful, whatever, but when it comes to hockey and sports teams, we're some of the most arrogant and ignorant people out there, in my opinion.

This is a perfect example of that. Benn doesn't want to play in Canada. Big deal. People say it was a poor choice of words? How exactly, he was honest and inoffensive. But some Canadian hockey fans will get their panties in a knot because he doesn't want to play in his home country for a Canadian franchise, unpatriotic, blah blah blah.

Sure, as a regular guy, I love living in Canada and this is a great country, but if you can't see why a shy person(who happens to be an athlete) wouldn't want to play out their career here, you're really lacking something upstairs. You're probably like the idiot who wanted to fight me(true story) because I liked a Russian(Ovechkin) more than Crosby and was glad he won ROTY.

This same guy would not believe me that Canada didn't win anything in the 06 Olympics. It's just mind boggling, and this country is filled with fans like this. The World Juniours brings out the worst too... Anyway I'm rambling.

Also, got a good laugh of the guy trying to make fun of the Stars franchise.
It's unbelievable lol. Nationalism will do crazy things to people and is best kept to a minimum IMO.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Unbelievable how much heat those comments are getting. This is too funny.

Get over it, folks, he's happy in Dallas and wants to stay there. Quit digging for hidden meanings and character assassinations, it's getting old.

11-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Primetimey

Quote:
Ya, he really needs to sign with a Canadian team because they are winning all the cups.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Lewy

I wouldn't want to play in Canada either. The guys that play here can barely get out of their houses and walk down the street without being bombarded by autograph and picture requests. It's disturbing, the cult of celebrity is something I've never really understood, they are just people who play a game for a living... why do you want their autograph or a picture?
If Jamie Benn is shy and does not like attention I would suggest to all Canadian teams to just leave it.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote