HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Exactly, playing with Rielly, the thought of 2 guys with Ice Q's and talents like these 2 is scary.

All things considered I am intrigued by Jones too, but Pulock is a nice alternative. The more highlights I see of Jones the more I think he will give Mackinnon a run for #1 overall.
I doubt it. Jones looks like a man amongst boys, literally. That hurts him rather than helps him in my books.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Pulock is excellent. He would be an amazing pick anywhere after MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Barkov.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
This will be an interesting debate as we get closer to the draft, what is harder to find a defenceman who can score 20 goals from the back line or a winger or smallish C that can score 30-40 goals? If we are drafting in the #5 slot.

I am of the opinion that a d man that can be a threat to score 20 goals a year from the backline with a high Ice Q are extremely rare hockey players. Pulock's game is also built around solid defence to strengthen his case.

This one will probably be debated till June next year.
It's an interesting debate for sure. Which is better? With our defense depth, I'd be more inclined to take the winger/center. Size is great but a smallish winger that plays like Giroux/Dastyuk/Hossa offensively and has similar hands? That would be hard to turn down, and since we are lacking in the high end forward prospects, it would be nice. This is assuming the two top ends are on similar levels.

However assuming he's a 20 goal dman might be asking a little much. If he really is, than he's gotta be the guy because finding a consistent 20 goal dman is impossible. How many dman have hit 20 goals since the lockout?

Byfgulien in 2010-2011, Weber/Souray in 2008-2009 with Green hitting 30 then, Souray/Boyle in 2006-2007, Schneider/Phaneuf in 2005/2006.

And only Green/Souray hit more than 23 goals, and only Souray did it more than once.

So I'm not sure Pulock could do it. Maybe once. Which is why I take the winger than can get 30 goals, 80 points consistently.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I doubt it. Jones looks like a man amongst boys, literally. That hurts him rather than helps him in my books.
While I don't disagree with you on him challenging for number 1, I think this is more like Landeskog than say a guy who is just beating up on younger, smaller players and appears to be more talented that he is. Jones is only 206 right now. At 6 foot 4 he could easily sustain another 15 pounds of muscle and be fine. That could be pretty impressive at the pro level.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:11 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Pulock has the capabilites of scoring more goals than some fwds, he could be a valuable unique weapon and the Leafs should be interested in him. He has a high ice Q and Burke and Mo are known to be drafting players that are smart players as well as talented ones. Very bullish on him too!

Looks like we disagree again, no way at this stage would take those 3 over Pulock.

But time will tell in May-June.

BTW, right now Blacker is looking less top 4 and more bottom 5-6.
As you can see, we agree on Blacker at the moment. I see him thus far as a 5-6 at this point. He's getting along okay in the AHL, but not showing the offensive prowess I'd hoped for. He still has the skating, physical element, and point shot to warrant consideration for a 5-6 spot at the NHL level if he progresses.

I think Drouin is a no-brainer over Pulock right now. Shinkaruk is about a dead-heat for me, as he looks so much like Kessel at his ripe, young age.

I don't discount Pulock, as the kid is highly skilled, but I have a hard time calling him BPA over guys like Drouin, or even a guy like Nichushkin, if we pick between 6-12, and they're all on the board.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:23 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
It's an interesting debate for sure. Which is better? With our defense depth, I'd be more inclined to take the winger/center. Size is great but a smallish winger that plays like Giroux/Dastyuk/Hossa offensively and has similar hands? That would be hard to turn down, and since we are lacking in the high end forward prospects, it would be nice. This is assuming the two top ends are on similar levels.

However assuming he's a 20 goal dman might be asking a little much. If he really is, than he's gotta be the guy because finding a consistent 20 goal dman is impossible. How many dman have hit 20 goals since the lockout?

Byfgulien in 2010-2011, Weber/Souray in 2008-2009 with Green hitting 30 then, Souray/Boyle in 2006-2007, Schneider/Phaneuf in 2005/2006.

And only Green/Souray hit more than 23 goals, and only Souray did it more than once.

So I'm not sure Pulock could do it. Maybe once. Which is why I take the winger than can get 30 goals, 80 points consistently.
That last little display there explains pretty much how I feel going into this draft. We're best off to take the player up front, and outside of Jones, I think forwards are BPA back to almost 10.

1. MacKinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
4. Drouin
5. Monahan
6. Lindholm
7. Nichushkin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Pulock
10. Ristolainen
11. Erne
12. Lazar
13. Fucale
14. Morrissey
15. Domi
16. Hagg
17. Zadorov
18. Fasching
19. Gauthier
20. Rychel
21. Nurse
22. Dickinson
23. Kujawinski
24. de-la-Rose

Somethin like that?

Old
11-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
As you can see, we agree on Blacker at the moment. I see him thus far as a 5-6 at this point. He's getting along okay in the AHL, but not showing the offensive prowess I'd hoped for. He still has the skating, physical element, and point shot to warrant consideration for a 5-6 spot at the NHL level if he progresses.

I think Drouin is a no-brainer over Pulock right now. Shinkaruk is about a dead-heat for me, as he looks so much like Kessel at his ripe, young age.

I don't discount Pulock, as the kid is highly skilled, but I have a hard time calling him BPA over guys like Drouin, or even a guy like Nichushkin, if we pick between 6-12, and they're all on the board.
Nichushkin has looked great in limited viewing so far. Reminds me of a young Rick Nash. So big and fast, can really control the play, especially off the rush. He also back-checks very hard.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Nichushkin has looked great in limited viewing so far. Reminds me of a young Rick Nash. So big and fast, can really control the play, especially off the rush. He also back-checks very hard.
I was at the rink, talking to a friend of mine who works for the Spits, and he was telling me about some conversations he had with members of the organization (no names given to me), while watching the Super Series so far, and what he said kind of echoes what myself, and many others have noticed about this group of Russians. It's definitely not your father's Russians. There are a solid number of guys that aren't afraid to get their noses dirty, that also possess the skill necessary to be really effective players at the next level.

Nichushkin is probably the flag-bearer of the group, with really high end skill, great speed for a big guy, and solid puck protection/power game. Put him in the middle of Biggs and Frattin on the 3rd line (I know, this is in the future), and you're looking at a lot of size that can skate, and a good bit of skill to go around.

I like a lot of kids in this draft class, and to be honest with you, I don't see these threads being nearly as argumentative this year, as it was last year. It's hard not to cheer for all of these kids, and in reality, there are so many that we would be lucky to have, we just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. If we're picking in the top 20, we're going to get a GOOD, SOLID, player.

As I say that, Nichushkin dominates his way through team OHL for a chance on net.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I was at the rink, talking to a friend of mine who works for the Spits, and he was telling me about some conversations he had with members of the organization (no names given to me), while watching the Super Series so far, and what he said kind of echoes what myself, and many others have noticed about this group of Russians. It's definitely not your father's Russians. There are a solid number of guys that aren't afraid to get their noses dirty, that also possess the skill necessary to be really effective players at the next level.

Nichushkin is probably the flag-bearer of the group, with really high end skill, great speed for a big guy, and solid puck protection/power game. Put him in the middle of Biggs and Frattin on the 3rd line (I know, this is in the future), and you're looking at a lot of size that can skate, and a good bit of skill to go around.

I like a lot of kids in this draft class, and to be honest with you, I don't see these threads being nearly as argumentative this year, as it was last year. It's hard not to cheer for all of these kids, and in reality, there are so many that we would be lucky to have, we just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. If we're picking in the top 20, we're going to get a GOOD, SOLID, player.

As I say that, Nichushkin dominates his way through team OHL for a chance on net.
I agree with all of this except that part. Nichushkin is certainly not a 3rd line player in any capacity (unless you were talking about 1 year?). I'm also not sure he's a centre at the next level.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I agree with all of this except that part. Nichushkin is certainly not a 3rd line player in any capacity (unless you were talking about 1 year?). I'm also not sure he's a centre at the next level.
I was thinking of a top-9 sort of philosophy with that. I think Frattin could grow into a 2nd line winger as well, but was musing about a line with size and skill.

I think you could have a JVR Grabo Nichushkin line, and love pretty much all of it.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I was thinking of a top-9 sort of philosophy with that. I think Frattin could grow into a 2nd line winger as well, but was musing about a line with size and skill.

I think you could have a JVR Grabo Nichushkin line, and love pretty much all of it.
That would be awesome. JVR and Nichushkin seem like very similar players actually.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:02 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Really liked Valeri tonight. My only quabble, really, is that he doesn't use his linemates enough. The commentator was dead-on with that. He's a young kid with a lot at stake this year, so he's naturally out there trying tostand out, but he has to realize that being smart and dishing off when you're in a jam will make you stand out more than loaing the puck will.

Overall, he's growing on me, and I already liked him.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
TMLife
#teambernier

Just home from the kootenay hitmen game. Kept an eye on reinhart and virtanen. Wow! Virtanen is going to be something special!! All this kid does is fly around the ice hitting people and he back checks like a beast! Even if his offense never translates to the nhl he will be a good third liner at the very least. This kid is the real deal and it is very frustrating only getting to see him about 12 minutes a game if that. He was the only player on the hitmen that wanted anything to do with that game. He probably finished with close to 15 hits and two of calgarys best scoring chances.
Reinhart was good. Made some nice dangles and eluded people nicely. Controlled the puck well in the offensive zone. Needs to shore up his defensive abilities though. Kind of floated in the defensive zone. Very gifte play maker. Lots of quick one touch passes. Had a good game but virtanen is who impressed me most

Old
11-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Terrence
Homeless

Quote:
That last little display there explains pretty much how I feel going into this draft. We're best off to take the player up front, and outside of Jones, I think forwards are BPA back to almost 10.

1. MacKinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
4. Drouin
5. Monahan
6. Lindholm
7. Nichushkin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Pulock
10. Ristolainen
11. Erne
12. Lazar
13. Fucale
14. Morrissey
15. Domi
16. Hagg
17. Zadorov
18. Fasching
19. Gauthier
20. Rychel
21. Nurse
22. Dickinson
23. Kujawinski
24. de-la-Rose

Somethin like that?
Pretty good list. The only notable name that I see missing is Andre Burakovsky who's been ranked as high as #7 and never lower then about 20 on all of the rankings I've seen. Various scouting reports say this about him:

Quote:
Andre is explosive and powerful. His skating is excellent and he has the ability to challenge defenders, put them on their heels and make them vulnerable very quickly. He is the type of player who makes defencemen nervous because he is not only fast, but determined as and he will not back down from the competitive areas and is very difficult to deter. He can come at you from anywhere on the ice and combined with excellent sense, he knows how to use it to gain those advantages. Good puck skills and can make plays at high speed and he is capable of beating you with a drive to the net or with a pass given the opportunity. He is a game-breaking type of player who plays when it matters and makes teams better. Comparable Style: Glenn Anderson
Quote:
Burakowsky is a very creative forward. He has the ability to thread the needle when passing, but also is a strong skater with a deceptively hard shot. Burakowsky really contributes well in all areas, and is looking to make an impact this season in Sweden.
Quote:
Burakovsky was born in Austria but he’s a Swede when it comes to hockey. The 6-foot-1 winger enters the season as an intriguing prospect with a good blend of skating ability and skill. While still needing to add some muscle to his frame, Burakovsky is a creative offensive player with a good shot and ability to find the back of the net. Burakovsky is a little raw at this point but has the potential to solidify himself a spot in the Top 15 of the draft with continued progress.
Quote:
A very dynamic offensive forward, Burakowsky pushes the pace of the game every single shift. At Ivan Hlinka, outside of Canada’s Nathan MacKinnon, no player was able to create space for himself with the puck as well as Burakowsky. He is an elite level skill player who also brings a lunch pail attitude to each shift. As he comes down the wing his ability to cut into the middle of the ice and attack from the slot is second to none.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:26 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Pretty good list. The only notable name that I see missing is Andre Burakovsky who's been ranked as high as #7 and never lower then about 20 on all of the rankings I've seen. Various scouting reports say this about him:
The only reason I didn't list him, is that I've seen absolutely nothing of him yet. Seen his name, but haven't really seen or heard about him much. Watched a highlight of a goal, but that's it.

Certainly sounds like a kid to keep an eye on at the WJC.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Completely agree....biggest fear is that we trade away the pick.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:58 AM
FlareKnight

There is no doubt that Pulock has some great skill. Good reason why he's up there with that top group of guys. Depending on where we finished wouldn't hurt at all to get someone like that. You could just laugh at the idea of having him and Rielly moving the puck on a PP.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:23 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

1. MacKinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
4. Drouin
5. Monahan
6. Lindholm
7. Nichushkin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Pulock
10. Ristolainen
11. Erne
12. Lazar
13. Fucale
14. Morrissey
15. Domi
16. Hagg
17. Zadorov
18. Fasching
19. Gauthier
20. Rychel
21. Nurse
22. Dickinson
23. Kujawinski
24. de-la-Rose

Somethin like that?
I like your list. Not much to complain about. It would be pretty similar to mine right now I think.

And maybe Burakowsky should be on it but I get leaving him off for the Russian factor and size issues

Old
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Quote:
The only reason I didn't list him, is that I've seen absolutely nothing of him yet. Seen his name, but haven't really seen or heard about him much. Watched a highlight of a goal, but that's it.

Certainly sounds like a kid to keep an eye on at the WJC.
That's fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I like your list. Not much to complain about. It would be pretty similar to mine right now I think.

And maybe Burakowsky should be on it but I get leaving him off for the Russian factor and size issues
He's Swedish and he's 6'1 so it's not like he's a midget. He'll need to put on some weight though as do a lot of prospects.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
That's fair enough.

He's Swedish and he's 6'1 so it's not like he's a midget. He'll need to put on some weight though as do a lot of prospects.
D'oh. I mixed up Burakovsky and Tolchinsky.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Here's my scouting report on Drouin: Back Row, Corner Seat Scouting Report: Jonathan Drouin

Quote:
Jonathan Drouin entered the 2012/2013 season in a position that would be envied by any draft eligible prospect this year. He would be a go-to player on a powerhouse team with several high profile players, allowing him to fly under the radar while playing alongside superstar teammate and potential 1st overall pick, Nathan MacKinnon.

Well, Jonathan had other ideas.

Drouin opened the season with 15 pts in his first 7 games, exceeding the output of MacKinnon before a shoulder injury sidelined him for 6 games in October. Since returning from injury, Drouin has 14 points in 7 games and while he certainly hasn’t stolen the spotlight from MacKinnon just yet, they’re definitely sharing it now.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Here's my scouting report on Drouin: Back Row, Corner Seat Scouting Report: Jonathan Drouin
Nice blog entry MH.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
BIitz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Just home from the kootenay hitmen game. Kept an eye on reinhart and virtanen. Wow! Virtanen is going to be something special!! All this kid does is fly around the ice hitting people and he back checks like a beast! Even if his offense never translates to the nhl he will be a good third liner at the very least. This kid is the real deal and it is very frustrating only getting to see him about 12 minutes a game if that. He was the only player on the hitmen that wanted anything to do with that game. He probably finished with close to 15 hits and two of calgarys best scoring chances.
Reinhart was good. Made some nice dangles and eluded people nicely. Controlled the puck well in the offensive zone. Needs to shore up his defensive abilities though. Kind of floated in the defensive zone. Very gifte play maker. Lots of quick one touch passes. Had a good game but virtanen is who impressed me most
I've seen Reinhart twice live. This kid is amazing. I haven't seen Ekblad or Ho-sang yet, but this kid is the favorite for first overall in my eyes from what I've heard of the other two.

He can be inconsistent, especially cause he's so young. But he is very very gifted.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Completely agree....biggest fear is that we trade away the pick.
If there is a season one would think Burke will do whatever it takes to make the playoffs

Old
11-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Dylan Smoskowitz scores, best Steelhead imo.

Closed Thread