HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Defensive help to Ottawa

Old
11-13-2012, 12:28 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Awesome 3rd line center?

Are we talking about the same Regin who has chronic shoulder issues, is below average in the faceoff circle, doesn't play physical/big, has very limited offensive upside, has never been used as a regular PKer and overall is to easy of a player to play against?
Injury issues aside, when healthy, yes Peter Regin is a terrific 3rd line centre. And I mean top of the line.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Tuk Tuk

I'd assume Boro could take a bottom six spot. I'd love Volchenkov back from NJ, but we could probably use a puck mover more than a Defensive Dman.

What about Ballard from Vancouver?

Tuk Tuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:40 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
**** that. Wait it out. If we have to take another playoff miss, i'll take it over trading away good assets to replace cowen.

11-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Tuk Tuk

What about just signing a free agent as a stop-gap?

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...D&fa_type_id=2

Tuk Tuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:48 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I doubt the Sens would give up anything more than a 3rd or middling prospect for defensive help. As in, no one that would play top 4 (or should play top 4). Even that, I doubt we make a move. We have Karlsson, Methot and Phillips who would be able to play top 4... also there is no way Gonchar is allowed to remain in Russia so him too. Then we have Lundin, Benoit, Weircioch, Boro, Gryba and Eckford, all of whom I feel comfortable with in 6-7 roles... maybe one guy steps up to be a good #5.

Basically, there is no need for us to trade Greening or even O'Brien or Condra to shore up the D. Unless we make a move for a long-term top 4 I have no real interest. If we could get Hjalmarsson for a 2nd I'd do that, I'd add in a bottom 6 fwd if need be, but really that's about it. In a shortened season you just rely on the sum of the parts.
This.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Exit Dose

From what I've seen, Wiercioch looked just as capable of stepping in as Erixon did.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:50 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Injury issues aside, when healthy, yes Peter Regin is a terrific 3rd line centre. And I mean top of the line.
If by top of the line you mean in the bottom 15 in the league, then I completely agree. You can't honestly believe that he is better than Bolland, Stoll, Sutter, Duchene, Couturier, Boyle, Brodziak, Helm, Kelly, Ruutu, Spaling, Stajan, Matthias, Gordon or Steen

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:18 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
i would want Ottawa to go after Mark Streit. but could be get via UFA at the end of the year, so I wouldnt trade anything
'too big" for him.
If it comes for cheap with stipulations, if he signs, i wouldnt mind making a pitch to NYI... assuming there's a season.
If we get a season and a trade deadline, Streit could certainly be available at the trade deadline.

But, I don't see any circumstances, where the isles would trade Streit at the start of the season. They'd like a chance, to be in the mix for a playoff spot, just lke the Sens

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:35 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Thomas Hickey. NHL ready - stuck behind depth.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:19 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
From what I've seen, Wiercioch looked just as capable of stepping in as Erixon did.
This.

But to answer the question, Edler would cost Wiercioch + Silfverberg as a starting point.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:06 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
This.

But to answer the question, Edler would cost Wiercioch + Silfverberg as a starting point.
It's getting interesting. Edler would surely sign a new contract to play with EK.

What else would you want for Edler? Which one would you prefer between 1 of Silverberg, Stone or Zbad?

Maybe a swap between Greening and Kassian as well? I am not sure how Canucks fans value Kassian vs Greening

I would hate seeing Chris Neil go but I know you guys wanted him for a long time

Do you expect to be able to re-sign Edler?

Last edited by guyzeur: 11-13-2012 at 07:32 AM.
guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Askel

You are not getting Kassian for Greening.

Zibenjad is the best fit for the canucks because of his ability to play C and W.

Zbad+Wiercoch+cond 1st (if edeler resigns in Ottawa) is a nice deal.

Not sure Canucks makes that type of deal, we are trying to win the cup here.

And Edler will be resigned IMO.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:32 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
If by top of the line you mean in the bottom 15 in the league, then I completely agree. You can't honestly believe that he is better than Bolland, Stoll, Sutter, Duchene, Couturier, Boyle, Brodziak, Helm, Kelly, Ruutu, Spaling, Stajan, Matthias, Gordon or Steen
Duchene isn't really a 3rd centre, just like Staal in Pitts. But OK I'll play along. Bolded are better than Regin, +maybe Kelly based on last year only. Steen is more of a winger, and is better than Berglund anyway. I mean... Stajan? Really? Ruutu? You mean the guy who hasn't played centre in 8 years?

I don't know how I'm supposed to take you seriously.

He's top 8. Pretty much top of the line.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Jared Cowen is undergoing surgery this week that may be season ending.

Gonchar has commented that if the new CBA is reduces contracts that he may stay in Russia.

If these two scenarios play out and hockey begins in December, Ottawa will need some help on D.
It is wrong. Gonch said that he will return to the NHL as soon as lockout will end

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
You are not getting Kassian for Greening.

Zibenjad is the best fit for the canucks because of his ability to play C and W.

Zbad+Wiercoch+cond 1st (if edeler resigns in Ottawa) is a nice deal.

Not sure Canucks makes that type of deal, we are trying to win the cup here.

And Edler will be resigned IMO.
I like this deal too. I feel like the Canucks would have to kick something the other way because I would also prefer Z over Silfverberg. Ideally Mason Raymond, but I think Jannik Hansen would be a better fit for the Sens.

To VAN
Zibanejad
Wiercioch
Conditional Pick

To OTT
Edler
Hansen

From the Canucks standpoint, the Canucks are still a Stanley Cup contender, and save money in the short term. More importantly, you extend your playoff window and set up the post-Sedin forward core of Kesler, Zibanejad, Kassian, Jensen and hopefully Gaunce.

You don't have to replace Edler with Wiercioch; you're replacing him with Ballard who will play with Garrison, and Wiercioch/Tanev will be an excellent pairing going forward. Connauton looks like a player to watch in the future, and he is close as well. With 4 dman already on longterm contracts, I think you're objectively better off dealing Edler than Ballard.

The Sens get the best player in the deal (presently, at least) in Edler and will own one of the best Ds in the league, rivalling Pittsburgh. Pending UFA but he will be an easy re-sign for the Sens. Hansen is a 20/20 spark plug who plays bigger than his size and has playoff warrior written all over him. He's of the same cloth as Matt Cooke and Jarkko Ruutu, but without the negative reputations that follow those two around. I really hesitate to put Hansen in any deals, but I feel he would have a good home in Ottawa so I'm OK with it.

I think the Vancouver Canucks are in an interesting position going into the 2013 season. They are a team good enough to complete with the elite teams of the league (Pitt, Washington, Chicago, Boston, NYR, Kings, SJS, Philly, Detroit), but the future is charging at them hard, especially close to home in Edmonton and Colorado. I would not be surprised if they finished as low as 10th in the Conference next year.

It is my opinion that the Canucks should build with a long-term horizon with the intent of staying among the top tier of teams (like Detroit), as opposed hanging around as a playoff team (like Calgary). Trading Edler and Luongo for futures will go a long way to ensuring this will happen.

Canucks and Sens have a history of doing win-win trades. Hopefully this is one too.

Last edited by GoTeamDom: 11-13-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 08:31 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Duchene isn't really a 3rd centre, just like Staal in Pitts. But OK I'll play along. Bolded are better than Regin, +maybe Kelly based on last year only. Steen is more of a winger, and is better than Berglund anyway. I mean... Stajan? Really? Ruutu? You mean the guy who hasn't played centre in 8 years?

I don't know how I'm supposed to take you seriously.

He's top 8. Pretty much top of the line.
Ruutu is likely going to play 3C in Carolina this year, and he is no doubt better than Regin. Stajan is overpaid but is still quite good defensively. Gordon is one of the best PKers in the league, and Helm is a speed demon who is also very adept defensively. Steen played 3C all of last year, so I don't know why you said he is a better winger.

Im clearly not going to make any headway arguing with you, I just find it mindboggling how much you overrate Regin, without any real reason either. He just simply isn't a noteworthy player, and nowhere close to top 10 at his position

Old
11-13-2012, 08:53 AM
benjiv1

Craig Anderson for Niklas Hjarmlsson

Lehner is going to get the chance to be the Sens #1 Goalie, it's only a matter of time.

And if it doesn't work out, the Sens get a good draft pick in a deep draft, where half the season was written off anyways.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk Tuk View Post
What about just signing a free agent as a stop-gap?

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...D&fa_type_id=2
Jeff Finger is available.

As a Toronto fan I strongly suggest you sign him

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:23 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Jeff Finger is available.

As a Toronto fan I strongly suggest you sign him
Only if you sign Francis Lessard.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:26 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Not really he is probably better on the wing because he sucks at the FO circle. And hes only got 30 points in 75 games as his best season, after that he's played 65 games in two years.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

there is no way Ottawa trades Zibenjad just for a top 4 d-man. Just sign some d-man like Campoli, Clark, Eaton, Foster.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
there is no way Ottawa trades Zibenjad just for a top 4 d-man. Just sign some d-man like Campoli, Clark, Eaton, Foster.
Edler is a 60 point, 1A defenseman who is 27 years old.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Edler is a 60 point, 1A defenseman who is 27 years old.
I think you meant 50 point, but still, yeah.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Ottawa isn't in a position to pay assets for a guy like that...

Sign these types of players in free agency... but trading young assets for them is a horrible idea at this point in time.
That's why I was asking if it's long term or short term.

If Ottawa was in a playoff position and wanted to add a veteran D man, Hainsey isn't a terrible guy to add.

I don't think anyone is expecting young core players back.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:30 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Craig Anderson for Niklas Hjarmlsson

Lehner is going to get the chance to be the Sens #1 Goalie, it's only a matter of time.

And if it doesn't work out, the Sens get a good draft pick in a deep draft, where half the season was written off anyways.
I actually like this trade a lot. Ottawa could probably get a lower-tier prospect out of it as well