HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New and Improved Lounge Thread (Contains a list of OT sections)

View Poll Results: Do you like this thread?
Yes 36 42.35%
No 49 57.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 12:08 AM
JHabs61

vCash: 500
Backes, Zetterberg, Eriksson,Malkin, Alzner

Out of these players, who's jersey would you get?

Or any other non-hab jersey choices would be welcome

Old
11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
nas84

ufc 154 tickets

Hey Guys,

Didn't know where else to post this so i figured this would be a good place. Mods feels free to move if not correct.

I have 6 tickets to UFC 154 next saturday at the bell centre. Me and my mates can't make it to the event (4 of the 6 of us work at the same company and have all been called out of town for work) so im trying to sell them at cost price which is 95 bucks. Im willing to sell them in pairs as well. PM me if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Old
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Learning French

Not sure if there is a thread like this already, I'm guessing I'm not the only one on these boards trying to learn.

Started a distance-learning course about two months ago and I'm really struggling so far, I've learnt some basic vocabulary and how to introduce myself in a simple manner ("Je m'appelle Franck, je suis suédois, j'ai vingt-deux ans..." ), of course the fact that I hardly ever see my teacher doesn't help.

For those of you who have studied French for longer than I have, what suggestions do you have? Any good tips on how to pick up new words, memorizing etc? I've looked into watching French-language films, but so far the only thing I get from doing that is that I recognise the words I've already learned.

Right now I am working on an assignment where I am supposed to write a reply to a letter from a friend who has been in Quebec and is travelling to Paris and I genuinely have no idea what I am doing.
I've even tried cheating using google translate but that ends up being even more nonsensical that the things I write!

Old
11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
HatTricK09

I just learned it the hard way by constantly being put around people speaking french everyday, not much of a help but it might give you some ideas, good luck though

Old
11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
i watched a lot of people learning English well by listening to it on TV so id guess that listening to French shows on the web would do the same. The sounds of the words will slowly sink in and it can only help...

Old
11-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
i watched a lot of people learning English well by listening to it on TV so id guess that listening to French shows on the web would do the same. The sounds of the words will slowly sink in and it can only help...
I try, but French-speakers speak way too fast!

All the words that basically blend into one don't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
I just learned it the hard way by constantly being put around people speaking french everyday, not much of a help but it might give you some ideas, good luck though
I intend to try and "immense" myself in the language at some point, right now though I don't have the time or the money to travel to France or Quebec.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I try, but French-speakers speak way too fast!

All the words that basically blend into one don't help either.

I intend to try and "immense" myself in the language at some point, right now though I don't have the time or the money to travel to France or Quebec.
Well find the spots where French people hang out in Sweden and make friends with them. The dream scenario is to find a French girl who also speaks some Swedish or English. Just listening to tapes or watching TV can only help you so much as the key is to practice every day.

When I first came to Montreal at 12, I had to learn French from scratch so it took me around 1 year and a half of intensive welcoming class where we were forced to learn French all day long.

Reading thousands of cartoon and novels in the lifespan put me way ahead of my peers but it took me about another year or two to be able to speak it fluently. Of course, having a non-Latin language as a mother tongue didn't help me one bit. Speaking it without making obvious grammatical errors in every sentence is really harder than it looks.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Well find the spots where French people hang out in Sweden
That's like trying to find a single atom in a giant haystack! There's probably less than a thousand French people in Sweden in total and I doubt they hang out in groups.

Anyway, would anyone like to have a look at what I've written so far? Would be great to hear if what I've written actually makes any sense so I don't end up handing in a load of gibberish tomorrow.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Padrino86

Sure just post it.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
That's like trying to find a single atom in a giant haystack! There's probably less than a thousand French people in Sweden in total and I doubt they hang out in groups.

Anyway, would anyone like to have a look at what I've written so far? Would be great to hear if what I've written actually makes any sense so I don't end up handing in a load of gibberish tomorrow.
Je m'appelle Franck, je suis suédois, j'ai vingt-deux ans.

Assuming you are a guy, I would say off the top of my head:

Je m'appelle Franck et je suis un suédois agé de vingt-deux ans.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:43 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

If i were you I would just watch some French tv shows, it'll be a good and fun start and it will help. After that start getting a bit more technical and start learning the MANY grammar rules associated with French and then I'd take an intermediate class or something.

Being born and raised in Montreal but living with a family that spoke only english or our native tongue at home, most of the cartoon shows on TV were in French so I started off learning french through those TV shows myself, and then when I started attending elementary school my parents decided to put me in a french school and I'm thankful for that.

Edit: Sorry for the random childhood story at the end lol

Last edited by ottawa*: 11-11-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Remorse
Old
11-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
Sure just post it.
Sending you a PM, don't want this to turn into a homework thread. (Which is agains thte site rules, apparently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Je m'appelle Franck, je suis suédois, j'ai vingt-deux ans.

Assuming you are a guy, I would say off the top of my head:

Je m'appelle Franck et je suis un suédois agé de vingt-deux ans.
I wrote that weeks ago and had it looked over by a Frenchman before presenting it to my teacher, but thanks anyway.

What I need help with is the thing I mentioned at the end of my first post, I've been given an email from my teacher that I am meant to write a reply for.

Last edited by Franck: 11-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 09:00 PM
guest1467

The thing about learning another language is you need to bombard your brain with as much of it as possible; and you need to apply yourself with many resources and work hard.

Buy a french reader. There are books out there that start off really simple and progressively get hard, bringing in new words and having a set of questions you do after each exercise.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-French-.../dp/0071428488

I really like the Spanish version of this. It is a cheap investment.

Download movies in french. Subtitles to start is fine, but pay attention to the words they are speaking. Then move on to very easy films (like cartoons and kids stuff) that are fully French.

Once you start getting comfortable reading french, then start reading news articles in French; living in the EU, this shouldn't be difficult to find interesting things to read in French. Then start reading simple books and so on.

Rosetta Stone; you can crack it for free.

Get an ipod and get some vocab/speaking tapes; I recommend Michel Thomas. But there are countless out there.

Start looking for French restaurants/shops you can go to and speak French. Even if it is just ordering your food or talking at the till, it helps.

The more you work at it, the more resources you bring in, the most consistently you do it, the better and faster you will learn.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Www.duolingo.com

Great way to learn a second or third language, it's constructed as a series of "lessons" and exercices to learn to read and write the langue and to be able to understand it. plus doing exercices helps translate the web.. Pretty cool what they've set up

And its free

Old
11-11-2012, 09:45 PM
HatTricK09

I don't know if you play games or not, but I learned English by playing English games a lot, much better than the English classes I had to take in my French highschool here...

Old
11-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
I don't know if you play games or not, but I learned English by playing English games a lot, much better than the English classes I had to take in my French highschool here...
I tried switching Football Manager over to French for a while, it got a bit too confusing though. I think I'll see if I can't find a list of French football terms somewhere and give it a go again.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:01 AM
tinyzombies

Is there a Quebec Rosetta? A joual Rosetta? Cuz it's a dialect. And every dialect has a class range, even though idioms are only dropped once or twice in a conversation. Not as important in Quebec as it used to be from what I've noticed on my trips back, but still. Nobody will listen to classroom French. There should be another French: an Anglo French maybe. Does that exist?

Old
11-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Pascal

Hey,

what's the best place in and around Montreal to buy a high-quality ergonomic office chair? I want the very best available but cannot find a place on Google. I don't want to buy online as I want to try the chair first. A few years ago I bought a Steelcase Leap and it has been bad for my back (tried all different adjustments)

Thanks for the help.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Is there a Quebec Rosetta? A joual Rosetta? Cuz it's a dialect. And every dialect has a class range, even though idioms are only dropped once or twice in a conversation. Not as important in Quebec as it used to be from what I've noticed on my trips back, but still. Nobody will listen to classroom French. There should be another French: an Anglo French maybe. Does that exist?
No.

Quebec French resources are very thin on the ground and primarily aimed at existing French speakers, mostly in a humorous LOL CARIBOU way. I find this immensely frustrating myself.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Ok what is a good lounge in downtown Montreal for a 1st date?

I dont want to go straight to a restaurant for a 1st date, I eat like a pig

Looking for something not too loud, intimate; and it doesnt have to be fancy

Any idea?

Old
11-17-2012, 12:24 AM
schumway2

Mustangs in the winter

What's everyone's opinion on driving a mustang in the winter? I'm considering getting one but worried about the damage the salt will do. I know it's more difficult to drive in snow, as are all RWD, but what concerns me most is the physical beating the exterior might take. Thoughts?

Old
11-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

Buy an STi

Old
11-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Adamcrazy3

What Bunka said

Old
11-17-2012, 08:53 AM
CTHabsfan

If it's going to be your only car, salt is salt, it won't affect the Mustang any more, or less, than any other car. If you really want a Mustang and can afford a second car, I would recommend getting a beater for the winter.

Closed Thread