HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks + Islanders (No Luongo)

Old
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
kack zassian

vCash: 500
Canucks + Islanders (No Luongo)

Vancouver
Kyle Okposo

New York Islanders
Jannik Hansen
Chris Tanev

Vancouver addresses its need of top-6 talent and fits Gillis mantre of getting "younger and bigger".

NYI gets Frans Nielssen 2.0 in Jannik Hansen as well as a young NHL defenseman with strong upside.

(for Van fans concerned about defensive depth, use the Lu return to address it ie Lu for Bozak, Gunner/Franson + Kadri)

kack zassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Eh. I'm not exactly happy with it. I don't know about value, but I just don't feel like shaking up our top-9 is worth it unless a player needs a change of scenery. Both Hansen and Tanev have shown their worth to us, and unless we're getting a significant impact player I wouldn't want to package them.

Basically, I don't feel Okposo is "good enough" so to speak, to cough up assets. If we are to address our top-6 winger via trade I'd rather go after established talent(ex. Perry)

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
This is coming from an Isles fan...

Putting contracts aside, I would do this deal, heck I would do Okposo for Hansen straight up. The reason I say this is because I honestly don't know what type of player Kyle Okposo is. He is not physical enough to be a powerfoward, he is not outstanding offensively. I guess he is a soft two-way player who is good along the boards and is frustrating to watch. Most of his goals come from being set up by Tavares or Nielsen. I think I may be overracting considering he had his best statistical season while having a terrible early season slump but he can be such a better player if he stuck his nose in the action for once and improved his shot. Hansen on the other hand is a fan favorite over in Vancouver and is a physical player who brings it every shift. I'm not sure if he has the skill to be a 50-60 point top six foward but what he brings to the table makes up for that. I don't know much about Tanev so I won't comment on him.

The only problem is Okposo is under a solid contract till 2015-2016, while Hansen is a UFA next year and is going to be looking for a big payday.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
CanucksSayEh

Dont really know Okposo, dislike any trade involving Tanev departing.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Canucks can get a better return for those players

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Henrik To Daniel

I like Okposo but I think we can get a better return for Hansen and Tanev. Islanders would have to add a fairly significant piece

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Ya we can't give up Tanev and Hansen. These are two cheap players who play way better then their contract values suggest they should.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:23 PM
mstad101

This severely weakens our RW and right side D depth.

Would the Isles say no to Raymond and a 2nd for KO and a 3rd?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
PoolChamp

I would do it if Raymond was swapped for Hansen.

PoolChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:50 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
We'd rather keep Okposo as we lack RH shots in our lineup.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Ahhh Raymond. Vancouver's red-haired step child.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Ahhh Raymond. Vancouver's red-haired step child.
lol so true

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:00 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
This severely weakens our RW and right side D depth.

Would the Isles say no to Raymond and a 2nd for KO and a 3rd?
Pass. Even if you dropped the 3rd from the isles side, I doubt the isles would bite.

No interest in flipping KO for Raymond and little interest in trading a 24 yr old, coming off a career high in goals to grab a draft pick, that's what 4-5 yrs away from contributing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Okposo has been long in coming, but if the last 55 games of last season are any indication, then no need for the the Islanders to move him (even if this suggested deal is very sound from several angles).

Those last 55 games may just be another up in what has been a rollercoaster ride thus far (he started off the season MISERABLY), but at the moment, he looks like he's finally getting it and there's plenty of reason to see him as a regular 30-30-60 for the long run.

Throwing his sweetheart deal into the equation, I can't see Snow chancing it at this point: The Isles will see what he can give them before he's moved, unless someone comes along and makes an offer that 'overvalues' Okposo at this point in time.

When he's on, he's a very difficult guy to play against. Lots of movement, board work, backchecking. He's got some gangliness.

I've seen a good bit of Hansen, also internationally, and definitely feel Okposo is the better, higher-end player.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Not interested in trading Okposo. He had a really good end to last season, and could play full-time on a line with Tavares (who he's had most of his success with). I want to keep him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Really doubt they will move Okposo. However that price might be too steep for a canuck fan to accept.

11-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Bleach Clean

To the OP, shame on you for making a VAN-centric trade thread without including one of: Alberts, Ballard, Raymond or Luongo in your proposal.

Bad form.

Anyways, Okposo is a good target, but perhaps not at that price.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
startainfection

okposo is better than given credit for he doesn't hit often but he is willing to grind and the majority of the time that he goes in to puck battles, which is often, he does win them and last season he proved that he could shoot the puck into the net and not hit the post like the 50 times he did each of the 2 seasons prior

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:24 AM
nmbr_24

As a fan of neither team, this proposal looks like it favors Vancouver by a lot and is something that the Islanders would not do.

From what I have seen, a trade like this wouldn't happen unless the Islanders were having problems with Okposo. Teams just don't trade a player for 2 players who are worth half as much because someone asks them to.

This deal does absolutely nothing to make the Islanders a better team, it makes them worse with an extra player. Does that sound like a good deal to anyone other than the Canucks?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:55 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
As a fan of neither team, this proposal looks like it favors Vancouver by a lot and is something that the Islanders would not do.

From what I have seen, a trade like this wouldn't happen unless the Islanders were having problems with Okposo. Teams just don't trade a player for 2 players who are worth half as much because someone asks them to.

This deal does absolutely nothing to make the Islanders a better team, it makes them worse with an extra player. Does that sound like a good deal to anyone other than the Canucks?
Disagree.
Its a matter of opinion.

If Okposo becomes the player he was touted as...then maybe, the Canucks win the trade.

These are two very useful players for the Canucks.
Two guys who fit their respective roles very well, and have been steadily improving.

Okposo isn't a known-enough quantity to make this trade.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:36 AM
JuniorNelson

I would have already started the rebuild in vancouver. I'd be looking at hiesting Niederrieter or Reinehart and offering some older guys in return. I would not be trading Tanev or any other youngsters away. That is counter-productive, IMO.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:47 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I would have already started the rebuild in vancouver. I'd be looking at hiesting Niederrieter or Reinehart and offering some older guys in return. I would not be trading Tanev or any other youngsters away. That is counter-productive, IMO.
Isles are in a youth movement, but imo need to add a few quality, 20 something vets, to their young roster. Which young Canuck vet, would you offer for Reinhart or Nino?

And please, let's avoid the ' NYI have sopured on Nino, so we'll get him cheaply' nonsense. That's message board wishing, not close to the truth. Nino's playing very well in his first AHL season and still considered to be top NYI prospect by the team

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:06 PM
skywarp75

Hansen is an elite 3rd liner / PK. Integral piece of the repeat president trophy team. He isnt available for anything that anyone would offer for him. Also, Tanev is in the plans as a top 4 right side Dman, which the Canucks cant part with.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
We'd rather keep Okposo as we lack RH shots in our lineup.
Tanev and Hansen are both RH shots.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:41 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Tanev and Hansen are both RH shots.
Hansen is also a 3rd liner and Okposo is a top-6 forward. This trade has us downgrade at RW to get Tanev? I like Tanev but he wouldn't be a top-4 defenseman on this team. Plus, Carkner on the 3rd pair doesn't really leave room for Tanev on the bottom pair either.

Streit-MacDonald
Visnovsky-Hamonic
Donovan/Ness-Carkner

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote