Him too (2)

jetkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) tweeted at 6:49pm - 12 Nov 12:

What a difference yr makes. As good as Barrie's Mark Scheifele (WPG) was in Penticton rookie tourney last yr, much faster/stronger this yr.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
I like what Im seeing from Scheif but Im not surprised, I knew he'd be a beauty. That's the one good thing about the lockout is that there is no should Scheif stay in the NHL or go back to OHL talk. Knowing TNSE I think he would have been sent back this year anyway, but it makes it easier with the lockout. This is a great year for his development and I can't wait for the World Juniors!

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Sorry, late to the show. Had to PVR the game but I have some observations that I would like you all to weigh in on. I was watching our prospect obviously more closely, but I saw some things that stood out. I will excluded Mark from who I thought were the best players out there and err on the side of objectivity.

First: Scheifele

First, what a game. He has incredible poise with the puck; now I'll get hacked on this, but I see is vision, to a lesser extent, as being on a Mario Lemieux plane. Has the ability to slow the play down. His work in close proximity was superb and he doesn't panic with the puck. Skating is better, way better, but I'd love to see what he can become as he progresses. Also, noticed his aggression level has increased. Think we have a good one.

Best players Canada:

!) Ryan Strome: Got a goal and an assist. But that is not why he tops my list here - his positional play is off the charts. Its why he gets points and how he helps defensively. Watched him intently and even though he didn't get mentioned a killer amount, he did pretty well everything right.

2) Scott Harringnton: What a beauty this guy is going to be. Along with his partner, they quietly put away every attempted rush by the Russians. A silent assassin in my books. Really underrated.

3) Tom Wilson: A wrecking-ball of hate. Has the true shut down ability combined with physical presence - a very descent offensive upside too - needs work with his hands to complete it.

Honourable mentions:

Dougie Hamilton - silky smooth and poised. Loved him out there.
Tyler Graovac - established himself as a forechecking force, liked what I saw

Best players Russia:

1) Andrei Vasilevski - this guy is going to be a superstar. His agility and vision are crazy good. Had a great game tonight and suffered from some superior offensive instincts and poor defensive coverage.

2) Mikhail Naumenkov - very impressed with this kid. Didn't know much about him but if he goes NHL, look out. Real deal and tough as nails.

3) Valeri Nichuskin - Liked what I saw, superior puck-handling and very good vision. Very good speed, just needs to elect on finishing i.e.: passing, shooting, dumping in

Honourable mentions:

Nail Yakupov - moments of brilliance and crazy speed. Victim of the Russian system. I love this kid, but in my opinion struggled greatly defensively.
Andrei Sigarev - when he did have the puck did good things, very confident and nice shot. Admittedly, didn't watch much of his defensive play

Yes Canada won, but what I found suspect was the Russian system of attack. It was almost like a molding process when I watched it; meaning, the Russian system is typically more wide-open, but what I saw were players trying to buy into a system. Might be something to consider in the WJC. This game, to me , was as much as Canada winning and sticking to a system, win-or-lose (developmentally and for WJC), as it was Russia doing the same.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:28 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Vasilevski is going to be huge for the Russians again in this year's WJC. If they surround him with great defensive talent, they'll be near unstoppable. Hopefully, Subban will be equally up to the task.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Tintin's Ghost

Great to hear rave reviews about Scheifele's game. He got a lot of props from non-Jets fans in the SS thread on the Prospects board as well so it seems he's really coming into his own.

I am not (was not?) as high on Scheifele as others but am happy to eat major crow if he keeps up his development curve.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

A little surprised that nobody's mentioned that Scheifele still needs work on his balance issues. His skating does look better, but still a work in progress. A solid game otherwise.

I wish I had been on here during the game, since I'm familiar with the Bruins prospects (Camara, Griffith) that played with Scheifele tonight. I wish we had grabbed Griffith with our 5th rounder this year instead of Connor Hellebuyck.

Last edited by Paradise: 11-13-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
A little surprised that nobody's mentioned that Scheifele still needs work on his balance issues. His skating does look better, but still a work in progress. A solid game otherwise.

I wish I had been on here during the game, since I'm familiar with the Bruins prospects (Camara, Griffith) that played with Scheifele tonight. I wish we had grabbed Griffith with our 5th rounder this year instead of Connor Hellebuyck.
IMHO I think his balance has improved leaps and bounds since last year, along with his skating/strength. Just comparing the small samples of games I've seen over the past couple of years. Even compared to the Canada Russia challenge this summer, he seems to be a hell of a lot stronger on the puck and doesn't get knocked around nearly as much. There was a few hits on him last night where he would normally collapse, but to my pleasure he was able to take the hit and stay on the puck more often then not.

Edit: as said by others, I also like how his aggression has taken an upward turn. I liked seeing him take the body more.

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Yep have to say i am not concerned about his balance anymore. Its not a strong point but I no longer saw it as a glaring weakness. I saw him Get rubbed out but it wasn't "weak" rub outs like last year, these were hard head on plays along the boards by the defender. There was maybe one play where I thought he should've been able to stay up. Generally I thought he looked great when comparing his game to his weaknesses last year and I'd not for a little puck luck probably could have had 2 or 3 points.

Personally I didn't even notice StRome until he scored But then he seemed to be everywhere, he'll be a player for sure.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Huffer

I thought Scheifele was the best player on the ice last night. Call me a homer, but he was defensively responsible, great out of the zone, made saucer passes and reads, generated scoring chances, and dished out some hits. Not only do I think he could be one of Canada's best players in the WJHC, but I think he should get a letter. With last nights game and the summer games against the Russians, he looks like a great leader out there.

Even though he got 2 points, I wasn't really impressed with Strome. If it wasn't for his points, I don't think Strome really did much. Not nearly all the little things like Scheifele.

I'll just say it here, after 4 games I haven't been impressed with Yakupov. Am I saying he's not good? No. He's being doing well in the KHL. But for a kid who was drafted 1st overall, and put up great numbers in junior, he looks below average in this series. 2 goals in 4 games and the 1st was a giveaway right to him in the slot, and the 2nd last night was basically a tap in from the slot as well. I also don't give any leeway to the argument that he's "not interested" or any crap like that. If he's on the team and on the ice, he had better be giving it 100%. Otherwise, what does that say about him? Again, not saying he's a bust, or that he's not going to be great, but he's been very underwhelming for a 1st overall, next Stamkos type guy.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I thought Scheifele was the best player on the ice last night. Call me a homer, but he was defensively responsible, great out of the zone, made saucer passes and reads, generated scoring chances, and dished out some hits. Not only do I think he could be one of Canada's best players in the WJHC, but I think he should get a letter. With last nights game and the summer games against the Russians, he looks like a great leader out there.

Even though he got 2 points, I wasn't really impressed with Strome. If it wasn't for his points, I don't think Strome really did much. Not nearly all the little things like Scheifele.

I'll just say it here, after 4 games I haven't been impressed with Yakupov. Am I saying he's not good? No. He's being doing well in the KHL. But for a kid who was drafted 1st overall, and put up great numbers in junior, he looks below average in this series. 2 goals in 4 games and the 1st was a giveaway right to him in the slot, and the 2nd last night was basically a tap in from the slot as well. I also don't give any leeway to the argument that he's "not interested" or any crap like that. If he's on the team and on the ice, he had better be giving it 100%. Otherwise, what does that say about him? Again, not saying he's a bust, or that he's not going to be great, but he's been very underwhelming for a 1st overall, next Stamkos type guy.
This is sort of how i felt initially, even though I know i just called him a player.

Looking back at Strome he didn't seem "ineffective" in his own zone or anything like that, even though he didn't quite standout with defensive reads like some players did.

I tried to think about name and commentator bias and how that might be influencing my opinion (i did not hear his name frequently until later in the game) and realized he seemed to play very well positionally, sort of that "unnoticeably good" style, where not noticing him is a good sign. That said, I did not think his line controlled the play nearly as well as Scheifeles and it almost seemed like he got 'luck' with his points.

The problem is i don't know how you call that? is it lucky that 1 of his 3 shots got in and unlucky that 0 of scheifeles 5 went in(numbers are to illustrate the point, don't know actual stats) or is it because he made better shots/is a better shooter?

At the end of the day I don't think Strome is as good of a two way and "control" player as Scheifele, but 2 points is 2 points and he did not look like a liability in anyway and definitly stood out. Points aside, i think i liked Scheifeles game more, and maybe i'm giving Strome too much credit by trying to overcompensate for my homerism.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
This is sort of how i felt initially, even though I know i just called him a player.

Looking back at Strome he didn't seem "ineffective" in his own zone or anything like that, even though he didn't quite standout with defensive reads like some players did.

I tried to think about name and commentator bias and how that might be influencing my opinion (i did not hear his name frequently until later in the game) and realized he seemed to play very well positionally, sort of that "unnoticeably good" style, where not noticing him is a good sign. That said, I did not think his line controlled the play nearly as well as Scheifeles and it almost seemed like he got 'luck' with his points.

The problem is i don't know how you call that? is it lucky that 1 of his 3 shots got in and unlucky that 0 of scheifeles 5 went in(numbers are to illustrate the point, don't know actual stats) or is it because he made better shots/is a better shooter?

At the end of the day I don't think Strome is as good of a two way and "control" player as Scheifele, but 2 points is 2 points and he did not look like a liability in anyway and definitly stood out. Points aside, i think i liked Scheifeles game more, and maybe i'm giving Strome too much credit by trying to overcompensate for my homerism.
My thoughts are similar to yours. I don't think Strome was bad, just that I thought that Scheifele played a better game overall.

Maybe I shouldn't have said I wasn't impressed with Strome, but I think his 2 points isn't a true indicator of overall game impact.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:19 AM
JetsHomer

I'm going to disagree with your assessment of Yakupov Grind. He's an explosive skater, and hes got the Stamkos ability to find open space in the slot and a lethal shot. Good passes too. Not too impressed with his defence at all. I think he'll score 40 in the NHL. I think he'll be better than Hall or Eberle career wise, but not as good as RNH.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm going to disagree with your assessment of Yakupov Grind. He's an explosive skater, and hes got the Stamkos ability to find open space in the slot and a lethal shot. Good passes too. Not too impressed with his defence at all. I think he'll score 40 in the NHL. I think he'll be better than Hall or Eberle career wise, but not as good as RNH.
I don't mind Yakupov, but I have yet to see anything that would make me rate him as Hall's equal let alone a better player. Hall at a younger age was a far more dominant player who always brought it in big games and pressure situations. Back to back memorial cup MVP's and was much more dominant in the WJC at the same age. Yakupov ha sent shown that he is a big game player yet and until he does I wouldn't rate him as close to Hall.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Huffer

Quote:
I think you are referring to my comments on Yakupov.

I don't know what he will become, he's got the junior numbers to show that he should be a top NHL player. He's also put up some decent numbers in a limited number of games in the KHL.

IMO, he hasn't done much in this series. I've read a million excuses on the Oilers board. Travel, line-mates, coaching, extra attention, junior coach passing away, etc. At the end of the day, besides two gift goals, he hasn't done much. Or I should say, he hasn't done as much or looked as good as a 1st overall, future Stamkos / Tavares, HF darling should look IMO.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Overall I think it was a poorly played game to watch. A real snoozer. No real dramatics. I was disappointed considering I thought the OHL was the most well rounded of the 3 leagues.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

The reason I see his balance as still needing work, is because I think that will wear him down over the long haul of an 82 game season. I agree, It's improved, but it wasn't close to being NHL caliber at all last year. It's nice to see that he's added strength, his skating has improved and his defensive game is NHL ready. He also needs to continue to get better in the faceoff circle. I just think he'd be better suited working on those weaknesses in the OHL before hitting the big stage.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I didn't provide an assessment of Yakupov....

Old
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
The reason I see his balance as still needing work, is because I think that will wear him down over the long haul of an 82 game season. I agree, It's improved, but it wasn't close to being NHL caliber at all last year. It's nice to see that he's added strength, his skating has improved and his defensive game is NHL ready. He also needs to continue to get better in the faceoff circle. I just think he'd be better suited working on those weaknesses in the OHL before hitting the big stage.
Fair enough. He would probably improve those two things (balance, faceoffs) faster/better by staying in the OHL this year, but I don't feel that at this stage they are far enough behind to hold him back- if he performs admirably in camp/tryout etc. But i agree they are not likely to improve much over the course of a season in the pros.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I think you are referring to my comments on Yakupov.

I don't know what he will become, he's got the junior numbers to show that he should be a top NHL player. He's also put up some decent numbers in a limited number of games in the KHL.

IMO, he hasn't done much in this series. I've read a million excuses on the Oilers board. Travel, line-mates, coaching, extra attention, junior coach passing away, etc. At the end of the day, besides two gift goals, he hasn't done much. Or I should say, he hasn't done as much or looked as good as a 1st overall, future Stamkos / Tavares, HF darling should look IMO.
I agree.

It will be interesting to see how he fits in with the Oil once the season starts at some point. Ryan Murray thought he was going to be an Oiler (so did his family) and it seemed like a surprise when he the oil took Yakupov. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall with those discussions. Murray seemed like such a good pick for them, even with Schultz soon to be in the fold. Can't put my finger on it, but Yakupov just doesn't seem to fit with the Oil. He might be a HoF player like Bure one day, and be another Oiler legend, you never know. I really interested to see how he fits within their group and how he contributes.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Lowry is getting top line minutes tonight!!

Per CHL's Twitter:

Lowry-McNeill-Sissons
Shinkaruk-Brassart-St.Croix
Fioretti-Black-Holmberg
Ewanyk-Reinhart-Lazar

Siemens-Murray
Reinhart-Dumba
Rielly-Pulock

Brossoit starts in goal, backed up by Comrie

Last edited by garret9: 11-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Lowry is getting top line minutes tonight!!

Per CHL's Twitter:

Lowry-McNeill-Sissons
Shinkaruk-Brassart-St.Croix
Fioretti-Black-Holmberg
Ewanyk-Reinhart-Lazar

Siemens-Murray
Reinhart-Dumba
Rielly-Pulock

Brossoit starts in goal, backed up by Comrie
That forward group is weak IMO. It's really lacking down the middle.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Stream, if it hasn't already been posted:

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1531...ssia,-u20.html

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Lowry introduces himself to Nail!! Big body, grinder, solid positional play.

Reilly is electric to watch with the puck!

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote