HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Ottawa Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post

Is there any other votes for best defensemen in the league today? Weidauer is the consensus number 1, I like Watson from Kanata as number 2. (really I think he is #1 but I won't win that argument, No I'm not his mother). How about Akeson or someone else??
IMO top 3 are Weidauer, Watson and Anderson. These three are effective in both ends of the ice.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post

I think after those 2 Dmen no one else in the league is close this year.

Yes Akeson and Debrincat both have lots of points but neither can play in their own end...Akeson is better than Debrincat tho.
I agree Akeson is stronger than Debrincat. Debrincat has accumulated a lot of points but the majority are on the PP where he benefits greatly from playing with Norris and Hedges. I am sure there are several other defense who if given the same opportunity would have similiar point totals. Personally I would put dmen like Lussier, Todd, Smith Werthner and Drouin ahead of him.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
upinarms

Weidauer I agree with. Watson is good but not as dominant. I like Lussier alot. A good D on a poor team. Imagine him in nepean or SF. Might see a replay of last season's Hutyton deal. (Who did Kempt get for Hutton anyway ) I went to my first Bears road game on Sunday in CP. I have to admit my Bears were intimidated big time. Watched game on Friday against Corn, and might have seen 10 hits entire game. Most after it was 3 - 0. Hardly a hit in first period. Sunday CP was hitting from start. Bears D could not handle it. As for kempt - everyone thought it was owner. He is gone and things are no better. Alot of new players, so not sure they are the problem. Maybe it is the play by play guy ????????????? Who will be first coach to go? Malloy - Hawkins - or someone else.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:47 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Weidauer I agree with. Watson is good but not as dominant. I like Lussier alot. A good D on a poor team. Imagine him in nepean or SF. Might see a replay of last season's Hutyton deal. (Who did Kempt get for Hutton anyway ) I went to my first Bears road game on Sunday in CP. I have to admit my Bears were intimidated big time. Watched game on Friday against Corn, and might have seen 10 hits entire game. Most after it was 3 - 0. Hardly a hit in first period. Sunday CP was hitting from start. Bears D could not handle it. As for kempt - everyone thought it was owner. He is gone and things are no better. Alot of new players, so not sure they are the problem. Maybe it is the play by play guy ????????????? Who will be first coach to go? Malloy - Hawkins - or someone else.
Has to be Malloy. Something has to happen and the owners obviously aren't going anywhere.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Off the Boards

Weidauer (CP) is the best D-men in the league followed by in no specific order Lussier (Kemp) Johnson (Corn) Anderson (Hawk) Lorca (Nep) Drouin (PLK) Harper (PLK)

Akeson (SF) & Debrincat (Nep) offensive dmen only not all round

I have yet to see Kanata or Ottawa play yet, so no opinion on their d.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Off the Boards

CP players Ghantous (D) & Maciag (D) also impressed me

Old
11-12-2012, 12:49 PM
gusfring

Wow. With CP having this vaunted, big, mobile, D core, you would think they would dominate.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Wow. With CP having this vaunted, big, mobile, D core, you would think they would dominate.
I guess you didn't see yesterday's game. And that was without Weidauer.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Boards View Post
Weidauer (CP) is the best D-men in the league followed by in no specific order Lussier (Kemp) Johnson (Corn) Anderson (Hawk) Lorca (Nep) Drouin (PLK) Harper (PLK)

Akeson (SF) & Debrincat (Nep) offensive dmen only not all round

I have yet to see Kanata or Ottawa play yet, so no opinion on their d.

Excellent list! Hard to argue with.
I watched Weidauer very closely when he was here in Nepean this year, I did the same for Watson, and I watched him the Fred Page last year. Watson has to be in everyone's top 3.
I've been impressed with Lussier as well, but I thought maybe it was because he was the biggest fish in a small pond, but clearly alot of people have noticed him.
I have Lussier and Byron going to Nepean at the trade deadline. Just because I like to dream.
Good comment about Yarwood, NORRIS has missed the energy and skill Yarwood brought to the wing of the second line.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:35 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I guess you didn't see yesterday's game. And that was without Weidauer.
Seen them play 3 times, each time I was not impressed by their D. It's good, but not great.

2 were against Nepean and they could not handle their speed.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM
hardfacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
IMO top 3 are Weidauer, Watson and Anderson. These three are effective in both ends of the ice.
Smith from CP....could be best dman i have seen all year....

Old
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
hardfacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Seen them play 3 times, each time I was not impressed by their D. It's good, but not great.

2 were against Nepean and they could not handle their speed.
Not sure what games you have seen.....but CP strenght is their dmen....JC seems to find some good ones each year...after that...my kings d core is close second...SK has done a great job with the two grads pick ups...and will only get better...

Old
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
ZebraCritic

Can someone please explain to me the CCHL POW criteria? Who picks? IS it a panel, the coaches?? Does it go from Sunday to Sunday? Thanks.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracritic View Post
can someone please explain to me the cchl pow criteria? Who picks? Is it a panel, the coaches?? Does it go from sunday to sunday? Thanks.
pow?

Old
11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
pow?
Player of the Week. And I have no idea who determines the winner.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
pow?
Player of the Week.....Someone sent me the criteria and now knowing what it is, Blasko winning it is a crock! Don't get me wrong I think Blasko is a very good player and he did have a great week of hockey...but...he did it to Kemptville and Gloucester and the Braves LOST to Gloucester in the process....My mother gets 2 pts against the 73's if she plays!!

At least Clitsome had his points against Ottawa and CP, who I think everyone must admit are much stronger opponents than the Rangers or the 73's OR Millen who although 1 of his shutouts came against the lowly 73's did follow it up with another against PLK and in their barn (which is always a tough win let alone a shutout and regardless of them being somewhat shorthanded). These 2 shutouts were also done on successive nights!!

I also think that defencemen get jobbed regularly in the POW honours, so how about Cp Canadians 16 yr old rookie dman Kelly Summers, who, in the absense of Weidauer, logged considerable minutes with 4 points, 3 of which came in a win against a Nationally ranked team in the Bears. If you factor in a calander week (sun-Sun) Summers actually had 7 pts....The award is based on a Mon-Sun sked. Regardless I take 1 of those 3 over Blasko this week going away! Again nothing against Blasko, who is a heck of a hockey player.

Just my Opinion....anyone else see another kid who might be more deserving?

Old
11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
specialteams

Quote:
Player of the Week. And I have no idea who determines the winner.
Be interested in finding out the criteria and who selects them? I've heard it's a voting procedure but not sure who tabulates and makes final decision?

I've been following league for a couple years and actually haven't had a real problem with the winners over that time. Sure you're going to miss some worthy candidates as every week there are some outstanding performances. I like the weekly Honorable Mention as a nice touch to acknowledge other possible winners.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialteams View Post
Be interested in finding out the criteria and who selects them? I've heard it's a voting procedure but not sure who tabulates and makes final decision?

I've been following league for a couple years and actually haven't had a real problem with the winners over that time. Sure you're going to miss some worthy candidates as every week there are some outstanding performances. I like the weekly Honorable Mention as a nice touch to acknowledge other possible winners.
I agree with you that it is a "nice touch" and I'm sure most often they get it right. To tell the truth, I never much paid attention to the selections, but for some reason this one jumped out at me, just because I knew the Braves sked this weekend and that their opponents were at or near the bottom of the league (although the Rangers are respectable this year).

I just may have to start paying closer attention them Tuesday mornings!

Good luck to all the players in the coming weeks!

Old
11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCritic View Post
Player of the Week.....Someone sent me the criteria and now knowing what it is, Blasko winning it is a crock! Don't get me wrong I think Blasko is a very good player and he did have a great week of hockey...but...he did it to Kemptville and Gloucester and the Braves LOST to Gloucester in the process....My mother gets 2 pts against the 73's if she plays!!

At least Clitsome had his points against Ottawa and CP, who I think everyone must admit are much stronger opponents than the Rangers or the 73's OR Millen who although 1 of his shutouts came against the lowly 73's did follow it up with another against PLK and in their barn (which is always a tough win let alone a shutout and regardless of them being somewhat shorthanded). These 2 shutouts were also done on successive nights!!

I also think that defencemen get jobbed regularly in the POW honours, so how about Cp Canadians 16 yr old rookie dman Kelly Summers, who, in the absense of Weidauer, logged considerable minutes with 4 points, 3 of which came in a win against a Nationally ranked team in the Bears. If you factor in a calander week (sun-Sun) Summers actually had 7 pts....The award is based on a Mon-Sun sked. Regardless I take 1 of those 3 over Blasko this week going away! Again nothing against Blasko, who is a heck of a hockey player.

Just my Opinion....anyone else see another kid who might be more deserving?
So what exactly is the criteria and who makes the selections?

Old
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
So what exactly is the criteria and who makes the selections?
My understanding is that each team puts forth one name then all the teams vote to select a winner.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:41 AM
grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
My understanding is that each team puts forth one name then all the teams vote to select a winner.
looks like SF, NR, need a power forward, but who?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace View Post
looks like SF, NR, need a power forward, but who?
I'm thinking Ryan Maclean may join Nepean for the playoff-run after Carleton U is done. I have no intel on this, just my guess, no one has told me he can't. Teams can sign free agents right up to when the playoffs start. Now if they can find enough to trade for a stud defensemen....my evil plan for Nepean to rule the world will be complete.
Talk is S. Johnston has a offer from a Major Junior team, he may choose to stay in Nepean.
Talk also around Yarwood. He may have soured on Nepean or Nepean may have soured on him, not sure, but he may be gone.

Last edited by CoasttoCoast: 11-14-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Rangersfan21

Bussey or Rodier could be decent pick ups for teams looking to add grit with some offensive upside

Old
11-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Deets

What happened to Jordan Larson of Pembroke? He hasn't been in the lineup recently. Is he injured, been traded, healthy scratch, something else?

Old
11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
overtheboards

what happened to nepean in the 3rd ?

Closed Thread