HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Guess what? You're not funny.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
  #476
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
As someone who has played poker at a serious level (where it a good part of my income while online poker was legal in the states)

THE POKER SCENE WAS AWFUL. JUST AWFUL.
You poor thing, I can just imagine:

WHY OH GOD WHY, YOU NEVER RAISE ON A QUEEN TEN!!!.

(I have no idea if what I said even makes sense, I know little of poker).

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:13 PM
  #477
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat
 
cybreSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wNY
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I find the positive reviews for the new Bond movie to be greatly encouraging. Good.
We enjoyed Skyfall. It was my gal's first exposure to a non-Woody Allen Bond movie and she made us watch the first Daniel Craig last night.

cybresabre is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
  #478
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
We enjoyed Skyfall. It was my gal's first exposure to a non-Woody Allen Bond movie and she made us watch the first Daniel Craig last night.
??????

brian_griffin is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
  #479
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Enjoy your 35-degree temperature drop today / tonight, WNY'ers.

75 where I live, but only dropping to mid-50s tonight.
It was 70° here in Indiana yesterday, it was 35° and snowing this morning...

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
  #480
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
??????
My thoughts exactly.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
  #481
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
My thoughts exactly.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061452/

The 1967 Casino Royale was a Bond spoof with Woody Allen, Orson Welles, and Peter Sellers to name a few.

BuiltTagonTough is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
  #482
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It was well worth it. Few are the films that I don't find at least a couple of points to question actions or to challenge my suspension of disbelief. I count two in "Skyfall", which is far better than any Bond film since the Connery era. I like Craig as an actor.
Can't be better than "The Spy Who Loved Me." It can't, can it? Can't.

LDS, I need you to weigh in here.

Clock is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
  #483
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
T-5 hours until freedom.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
  #484
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Can't be better than "The Spy Who Loved Me." It can't, can it? Can't.

LDS, I need you to weigh in here.
Prolly gonna see Skyfall next week, so can't weigh in yet.

But if it was better than TSWLM it would be top 2 of all time...which is pretty damn good.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 04:45 PM
  #485
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Can't be better than "The Spy Who Loved Me." It can't, can it? Can't.

LDS, I need you to weigh in here.
I'm hoping to see it soon and will chime in as well. TSWLM is my favorite.

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
  #486
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
That Audi marketing team is top notch man.

Hey guys, what's our slogan for summer gonna be?
Uhhh...uhhh...SUMMER OF AUDI
BRILLIANT

Okay guys, it's the holiday season we need another catchy slogan
Uhhhh...uhhh...SEASON OF AUDI
Raises for everybody!!

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
  #487
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Wrote this poem about Buffalo in 2008. It, unlike much of my earlier work, is surprisingly not completely terrible.


Seems like the only breaks we catch are the ones that follow hearts
We’ve known little glory and volumes of disappointment so far
Every time it seems happiness is within our grasp
Some external forces continue our beleaguered past
We’ve been the best, only to finish second
Held defeat in our hands when it seemed victory beckoned
And the moments may be few, but we’ll hold them tightly
Packing the Ralph by day, and HSBC nightly.
Jimmy Hoffa, Legion of doom and scary good
Reliving those moments as much as we could
Building houses in Pominville, brick by brick
Hoping to bring home the Cup for Rick
Remembering when RJ cried, “Who Else?”
Briere eying the cookie jar on that uppermost shelf
And with Vanek and Roy and Sekera and Weber
We’ll say our chances look better than ever
We are one, we are many, we are young, we are old
We are still believing, because We Are Buffalo

CriminallyVu1gar is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
  #488
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
That Audi marketing team is top notch man.

Hey guys, what's our slogan for summer gonna be?
Uhhh...uhhh...SUMMER OF AUDI
BRILLIANT

Okay guys, it's the holiday season we need another catchy slogan
Uhhhh...uhhh...SEASON OF AUDI
Raises for everybody!!
Those ads keep coming on during episodes of the walking dead and I can't help but think, "Please hire me once i'm done with school, I'm a writer! I know i can come up with something better than that!"

kirby11 is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
  #489
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Those ads keep coming on during episodes of the walking dead and I can't help but think, "Please hire me once i'm done with school, I'm a writer! I know i can come up with something better than that!"
I do the same thing. I've written stuff for dog food in my advertising class that's better than that.

Then again, the real question is does it work? We can complain about it being bad all we want, but here we are talking about it all the same.

BuiltTagonTough is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 10:26 PM
  #490
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
I do the same thing. I've written stuff for dog food in my advertising class that's better than that.

Then again, the real question is does it work? We can complain about it being bad all we want, but here we are talking about it all the same.
I always wonder how much slogans in general help increase sales. I imagine there have been studies on it, but I do wonder how much it actually impacts consumer tendencies.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 10:44 PM
  #491
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I always wonder how much slogans in general help increase sales. I imagine there have been studies on it, but I do wonder how much it actually impacts consumer tendencies.
I'm sure it's in one of my textbooks.

I remember reading that most of the great ad men didn't aim to increase sales but to take up real estate in their customers heads. I guess the studies say that for each product a customer only holds up to three brands at a time and they always aim to be one regardless of sales.

BuiltTagonTough is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
  #492
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,547
vCash: 500
Better than Spy Who Loved Me? No.

But I'd put it in probably the 3 or 4 spot all time. You're gonna have a good time.

Afino is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
  #493
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Wreck It Ralph (And the short preceding it) were really awesome. Just enough throwbacks to be nostalgic but not so many as to overwhelm the film. And all the casting choices were perfect, these guys played it wonderfully.

As an aside, I made the mistake of telling someone in Capen Library at UB I'd watch his stuff. If he isn't back in 5 minutes I'm stealing it or leaving it to the wolves.
You go there or do you work there?

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 11:36 PM
  #494
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,929
vCash: 500
I'm such a good good boy
I just need a new toy
I'll tell ya what, girl,
Dance for me - I'll keep you overemployed
Just tell me a story
You know the one I mean


So wandered into the brass pole palace today with my General Contractor and had the pleasure of meeting a fresh young thing on her first day in the Single Mommy Health Club getting assistance one dollar at a time. This young lady, barely 20yo, was accompanied by one of my regulars who was showing her the ropes. They joined us in the sky box for a quick chat, and I managed to irritate the two of them with the quirky mood I was in. After some casual conversation, I looked at her and it devolved along these lines:

M - Would you spend the night with me for $1,000,000
H - Of course
M - Well how about for a buck
H - No, what kind of girl do you think I am?
M - Well, we've already established what type of girl you are, now we're just negotiating acceptable terms

She kind of looked at me dumbfounded, so had to tell her I was joking. Think my deadpan delivery confused her, or it could of been I didn't stick to monosyllabic words. One of my old Nightingales told me months after we had been socially active that she never understood what I was talking about; she had a very poor education, basically had grown up running the streets and spending some time with unsavory elements.

Anyways, after apologizing profusely for any possible offense, spent some cash on her and ended up with her number as my regular told her I was such a nice guy.

As for my General Contractor, he finished the 1st house and has the majority of the 2nd one completed, just waiting on the counters to be delivered on Wednesday. Excellent job on both so far with the two houses both coming in well under budget.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 07:17 AM
  #495
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,375
vCash: 500
I'd love to trade lifes with ONG for a week or 2.

Duddy is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 08:36 AM
  #496
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Saturday through yesterday were awesomely busy.

Friday evening.....


WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 08:59 AM
  #497
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'd love to trade lifes with ONG for a week or 2.
I don't know about lives but bank accounts for sure.

Mike McDermott is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:00 AM
  #498
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,205
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I'm such a good good boy
I just need a new toy
I'll tell ya what, girl,
Dance for me - I'll keep you overemployed
Just tell me a story
You know the one I mean


So wandered into the brass pole palace today with my General Contractor and had the pleasure of meeting a fresh young thing on her first day in the Single Mommy Health Club getting assistance one dollar at a time. This young lady, barely 20yo, was accompanied by one of my regulars who was showing her the ropes. They joined us in the sky box for a quick chat, and I managed to irritate the two of them with the quirky mood I was in. After some casual conversation, I looked at her and it devolved along these lines:

M - Would you spend the night with me for $1,000,000
H - Of course
M - Well how about for a buck
H - No, what kind of girl do you think I am?
M - Well, we've already established what type of girl you are, now we're just negotiating acceptable terms


She kind of looked at me dumbfounded, so had to tell her I was joking. Think my deadpan delivery confused her, or it could of been I didn't stick to monosyllabic words. One of my old Nightingales told me months after we had been socially active that she never understood what I was talking about; she had a very poor education, basically had grown up running the streets and spending some time with unsavory elements.

Anyways, after apologizing profusely for any possible offense, spent some cash on her and ended up with her number as my regular told her I was such a nice guy.

As for my General Contractor, he finished the 1st house and has the majority of the 2nd one completed, just waiting on the counters to be delivered on Wednesday. Excellent job on both so far with the two houses both coming in well under budget.
Classic Churchill anecdote.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
  #499
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Classic Churchill anecdote.
I was reading a book on him last week and that stuck in my head, first chance I had to use it. I just find it humorous that he actually used it with a 'pompous' HiSo Lady. The best part is the conversation followed almost exactly according to script. That anecdote and one of Hunter S. Thompson's are near and dear to my heart: "Whether you get it for free or you pay for it; you always pay. The only difference is its a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run to just pay for it."

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
  #500
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,832
vCash: 500
I hate people my age.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.