HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Thursday night ,7M CBS Sports Network, College Hockey.
Notre Dame (Lee-Russo), at Michigan.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Does anyone follow Kirill Petrov anymore? He appears to be having a bad start in the KHL. He's got eight points in 22 games. Eight forwards and two defencemen on his team have more points.

Closing in on 23 years old (in five months), seemingly a third liner in an inferior league, is it fair to consider him irrelevant, given how so many other Isles prospects are developing so nicely?
We've been following him here. I have the opportunity to watch Kazan just about every time they play and I feel he has looked AWESOME!

He is playing the RW side and getting regular ice time. His line (which indeed is the 3rd line) has often been on the ice in critical moments. This has impressed me very much.

What I like is that he is very mobile and constantly wishes to create. He makes smart plays and can seriously rag the puck. He's pretty strong in the corners and along the boards. Coming in from the wing, he does tend to seek the option of deking out the onrushing Dman, maybe too much.

All in all, I feel he is a player. He has NHL size and speed. Based on his slick moves and how much he excels in body positioning along the boards, I think his game is very well-suited for the NHL.

What kind of impact he'll make from a statistical standpoint is an entirely different matter. He could be a 10-15-25 guy or a 25-35-60 guy. The transatlantic transition and linemates will play a key role.

If he ever comes over...

Old
11-12-2012, 07:14 AM
YashinWorksHard

I would like to know his salary in the KHL.. I understand that kuznetsov can win there the money he wants.. but Petrov? mm..

Anyway he is with the russian national team right now playing the EHT with players like Tarasenko, Radulov, Kuznetsov, Animisimov.. so this is a good sign.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
luki here

1st period:

OHL 1 : 0 Russia

Strome from Meurs and Puempel

3rd period:

OHL 2 : 0 Russia

Corrado from Strome and Hamilton

Last edited by luki here: 11-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 08:29 PM
scott99

Is Pelech playing ?

Old
11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Is Pelech playing ?
He just made a nice defensive play.

Strome with a nice goal, strong play all around for him.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
He just made a nice defensive play.

Strome with a nice goal, strong play all around for him.
I noticed he is #29 (Pelech). Strome has a wicked one-timer. Nice to see Strome dominate. The game started at 9pm here in the States NY time, so we are 2 hours behind everyone else watching.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:13 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I noticed he is #29 (Pelech). Strome has a wicked one-timer. Nice to see Strome dominate. The game started at 9pm here in the States NY time, so we are 2 hours behind everyone else watching.
Haha, I figured as much. I was checking out the Super Series thread in the Prospects section and I realized I was behind.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Degeneration Rex

Strome was Canada's player of the game.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest/Ryan-Strome-1on1
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio..._super_series/

If you are interested in highlights and a Strome interview. For those of you who miss hockey.

Not sure if this works in the USA.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:36 PM
startainfection

Quote:
i have seen strome play very try little but his slap shot always stands out to me, maybe it is because i just imagine him firing off wing one timers from the middle of the circle fed to him perfectly by JT

Old
11-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Beastrt

Do you guys think that if there is a season, Strome will make the team?

I dont see how he doesnt, he has teared up the ohl. Maybe, he will play in the u20 world championship, but after that he should be ready for the big club. What else does he need to prove?

I know everyone is gonna say they rushed nino, which they did.
However, nino is a power forward and needs more time to develop. Strome has played many more games in the chl then nino had.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Do you guys think that if there is a season, Strome will make the team?

I dont see how he doesnt, he has teared up the ohl. Maybe, he will play in the u20 world championship, but after that he should be ready for the big club. What else does he need to prove?

I know everyone is gonna say they rushed nino, which they did.
However, nino is a power forward and needs more time to develop. Strome has played many more games in the chl then nino had.
Honestly I hope he does not. The kid produces like crazy which is great but I think some time in the AHL would do him wonders.

On the ice for the super series he just looked skinny and goofy. He seems to get a lot of hate from non-isles fans which I do not get. But he definitely would benefit playing on a good Bridgeport team while learning the pro game. Will also help him get strong with age. Especially if he wants to play center in the NHL. He doesnt seem to carry his line or create space for anyone. But he has shown he can find the players that do.

I think he would be a great winger for Tavares though. I can already imagine Tavares working the puck deep behind the net and feeding Strome in the high slot for one of his bad ass one timers. That may be the only way he sees NHL ice next year. And after that, Nelson may outplay him for the 2C IMO.

Last edited by StumpNYI: 11-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Honestly I hope he does not. The kid produces like crazy which is great but I think some time in the AHL would do him wonders.

On the ice for the super series he just looked skinny and goofy. He seems to get a lot of hate from non-isles fans which I do not get. But he definitely would benefit playing on a good Bridgeport team while learning the pro game. Will also help him get strong with age. Especially if he wants to play center in the NHL. He doesnt seem to carry his line or create space for anyone. But he has shown he can find the players that do.

I think he would be a great winger for Tavares though. I can already imagine Tavares working the puck deep behind the net and feeding Strome in the high slot for one of his bad ass one timers. That may be the only way he sees NHL ice next year. And after that, Nelson may outplay him for the 2C IMO.
He still doesn't look NHL-ready to me, not exactly sure why.

Seems a step too slow, a tad too small for him to be a productive NHL player.

If there's a new CBA and there's a training camp I'd hope the Isles pull Strome out of the CHL to at least try out. I also agree that both Niederreiter and Nelson might be a step ahead of Strome, being more than two years older and playing well in the AHL already. Not to mention Cizikas whom I believe would make the NYI pretty easily out of camp.

I'd say the NYI don't need a "not-ready" Strome on this roster, they have other (better) options for this season, unless Strome proves some of us wrong.

He's got a great head for offense though, the instincts of a scorer, the thing you cannot teach!

Old
11-13-2012, 10:20 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
I think Strome will come in to camp and show he can play at an NHL level, but the physical maturity and experience of Brock Nelson will make it easy for the Isles to send Strome back down for more seasoning. I agree that a stint in the AHL whether it's a half a season or two seasons will do wonders for Strome. Who knows, he might even transition to wing.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Beastrt

Since, Strome cant go to the ahl, he should get the first shot 9 games. We need a number 2 center bad and he is the best guy for the job. He would also be great, on the point on the powerplay. He deserves at least a change to prove that he is ready now.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
He still doesn't look NHL-ready to me, not exactly sure why.

Seems a step too slow, a tad too small for him to be a productive NHL player.

If there's a new CBA and there's a training camp I'd hope the Isles pull Strome out of the CHL to at least try out. I also agree that both Niederreiter and Nelson might be a step ahead of Strome, being more than two years older and playing well in the AHL already. Not to mention Cizikas whom I believe would make the NYI pretty easily out of camp.

I'd say the NYI don't need a "not-ready" Strome on this roster, they have other (better) options for this season, unless Strome proves some of us wrong.

He's got a great head for offense though, the instincts of a scorer, the thing you cannot teach!
Agreed, it really wouldn't hurt his development to be eased into the NHL with time in the AHL. The question is not about his skills, it's about his physical development. The more time he's afforded, the better in the long run IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I think Strome will come in to camp and show he can play at an NHL level, but the physical maturity and experience of Brock Nelson will make it easy for the Isles to send Strome back down for more seasoning. I agree that a stint in the AHL whether it's a half a season or two seasons will do wonders for Strome. Who knows, he might even transition to wing.
Nelson's rapid ascent is directly going to affect Strome. He very well could push Strome to the AHL (which would probably be best for him anyway) because he's more physically mature and much more NHL ready. I figured Strome was a shoo-in for a spot on the Isles next season, but I didn't think Nelson was going to develop this quickly. Like I've said before, it's a great problem to have 2 high end center prospects.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Agreed, it really wouldn't hurt his development to be eased into the NHL with time in the AHL. The question is not about his skills, it's about his physical development. The more time he's afforded, the better in the long run IMO.

Nelson's rapid ascent is directly going to affect Strome. He very well could push Strome to the AHL (which would probably be best for him anyway) because he's more physically mature and much more NHL ready. I figured Strome was a shoo-in for a spot on the Isles next season, but I didn't think Nelson was going to develop this quickly. Like I've said before, it's a great problem to have 2 high end center prospects.
Agree, Strome is making excellent progress but is not ready yet (I'll get a better look when I see him play vs Belleville and Sudbury next week). Still needs another step to his skating. While not really heavier, he did play stronger than in the past last night and he worked hard to get back and play well defensively. Also agree that Brock has come on so fast and will ready NHL ready before Strome is.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
scott99

Quote:

At this point, you have to put Nelson ahead of Strome as far as developement. He's about a year and a 8 months older, bigger, stronger (he's filled out some), AND, he's already starting to prove himself in PRO hockey. I love Strome, but Nelson is more ready at this point.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Renbarg

So who do we have at WJCs?

Lock - Strome, Pokka, Reinhart
Maybe - Russo, Pedan

Anyone that I missed?

Old
11-13-2012, 12:06 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Agree, Strome is making excellent progress but is not ready yet (I'll get a better look when I see him play vs Belleville and Sudbury next week). Still needs another step to his skating. While not really heavier, he did play stronger than in the past last night and he worked hard to get back and play well defensively. Also agree that Brock has come on so fast and will ready NHL ready before Strome is.
What I like about Strome, is that he seems to like to throw the body too, saw him hitting the Russians all night, he must be a pain to play against. One minute he's stichandling against you and making nice passes, or scoring on a great shot, the next he's planting your face into the boards.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:17 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post

Maybe - Russo, Pedan

Anyone that I missed?
I wouldn't say Reinhart is a lock. Canada has a boatload of d-men that are eligible for the tournament. Hamilton, Murphy, Murray, Rielly, Ceci, Koekkoek, Siemens, Percy, Dumba, Pouliot, Thrower, Harrington. All could possibly be ahead of Reinhart at this point. And even if he does make it, he will be the 7th D-Man, not a major contributor.

I'd say Pedan has no shot in hell. If he wasn't named for the Subway Super Series, he's not making Russia's WJHC team. I know he was suspended, but the teams roster was named quite a bit prior to the series.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post

Maybe - Russo, Pedan

Anyone that I missed?
Add Pelech to the maybe list. Might get invited to Canada's camp on December 10
but the list ahead of him is quite long.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
We've been following him here. I have the opportunity to watch Kazan just about every time they play and I feel he has looked AWESOME!

He is playing the RW side and getting regular ice time. His line (which indeed is the 3rd line) has often been on the ice in critical moments. This has impressed me very much.

What I like is that he is very mobile and constantly wishes to create. He makes smart plays and can seriously rag the puck. He's pretty strong in the corners and along the boards. Coming in from the wing, he does tend to seek the option of deking out the onrushing Dman, maybe too much.

All in all, I feel he is a player. He has NHL size and speed. Based on his slick moves and how much he excels in body positioning along the boards, I think his game is very well-suited for the NHL.

What kind of impact he'll make from a statistical standpoint is an entirely different matter. He could be a 10-15-25 guy or a 25-35-60 guy. The transatlantic transition and linemates will play a key role.

If he ever comes over...
Good to hear, stats can be so deceiving. No question his combination of size and skill will be his biggest asset if he comes over. Hopefully it translates even better in the NHL game than the KHL, it might.

If he ever comes.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
I wouldn't say Reinhart is a lock. Canada has a boatload of d-men that are eligible for the tournament. Hamilton, Murphy, Murray, Rielly, Ceci, Koekkoek, Siemens, Percy, Dumba, Pouliot, Thrower, Harrington. All could possibly be ahead of Reinhart at this point. And even if he does make it, he will be the 7th D-Man, not a major contributor.

I'd say Pedan has no shot in hell. If he wasn't named for the Subway Super Series, he's not making Russia's WJHC team. I know he was suspended, but the teams roster was named quite a bit prior to the series.
You severely underrate Reinhart if you think all of those guys could be ahead of him at this point. IMO, Reinhart is arguably the best shut-down defenseman on that list. Murray is probably the only one who is better as far as pure defense goes. The rest of the players on that list are either offensive oriented, or just flat out not on Reinhart's level.

He'll be on the team or he'll be injured. One or the other.

Closed Thread