HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
I've come to realize in the last three years - since I dropped my cable, got a girlfriend who hates hockey, and later moved in with her - how little I need hockey. It's still my go-to entertainment (lockouts aside) when Mrs. Berg is working and all my friends are busy, but beyond that, it doesn't bother me to know that there would be hockey game on and I'm not watching it.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:31 AM
cbcwpg

Me and a lot a people in my town waited 16 years for the Jets to come back, and after watching the NHL for one year, it's gone again.

Talking to people, it's funny.... we all want the game back, but in reality... we don't care. If it starts up in December or we wait another season, it doesn't matter. We just all go back to doing what we were doing while we waited 16 years. If the game is here we will watch it and support it, but not having the NHL for 16 years showed us all... there is way more to life than the NHL.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:48 AM
PJGooch

I used to get angry about stuff like this. Now just tell me when the games are going to start and maybe I'll watch. I don't have it in me anymore to worry about quarrels between millionaires.

More and more as a sports fan I find myself thinking along the same lines as Sonny from A Bronx Tale...

"If your father can't pay the rent, go ask Mickey Mantle and see what he thinks. Mickey Mantle don't care about you, so why should you care about him?"

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
You want a salary capped, "parity" league, you're going to have to accept the acrimonious labour situation that comes with it.
Huh? The 94 and 2004 lockouts both occurred after non-capped CBA's expired. Salary caps causing lockouts is Don Fehr spewing half-truths for un-informed fans to gobble up.

Last edited by cheswick: 11-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Sounds like Stubbs was really asking them the hard-hitting questions.

TBH, my "anger and disgust" has more to do with player statements like those above. I understand that lockouts happen, and labor strife gets ugly. But take some damned responsibility for YOUR PART in making this happen. Enough of this "we just want to play" bull**** that only a child would believe.

I've given some thought to cancelling my season tickets, but I think that would send the wrong signal. My problem isn't anger with the league, it's that I'm going to have a very hard time rooting for these guys when they hit the ice again. Last time I felt that way it had to do with baseball.
Taking responsibility? Hockey players? Please! It'll be a cold day in hell when a majority of players will feel comfortable enough to call out teammates when they should be. Unfortunately the few who have done so are the older ones, the same ones who argue that forcing the League's hand into a lockout is not the right way to go about CBA talks.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

"The league is not just hurting the players by locking us out. There are a lot of people who love hockey and they’re starting to lose their passion."

Are the players really this brainwashed? That they are total victims in this whole ordeal??!

Hanklite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:27 AM
jroc86

I think via FB/twitter etc it should be spread about that fans should a) not buy any concessions or merch @ home openers and b)boo every goal for and against.

Not a big deal - but at least a bit of a **** you for both. This next CBA better be 10 years ...

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:32 AM
moosehead81

I like hockey, particularly hockey played by the best in the world, eg. NHL, Olympic, World Juniors. Unfortunately, giving up season tickets in my part of the country would be biting your nose off despite your face cause they'll be grabbed by some-one else within 5 minutes. However, I fear this lock-out will be the death knell of a number of US franchises, Columbus, Phoenix, St Louis (took them a long while to come back after the last fiasco), maybe New Jersey and others, cause I don't think they'd be able to withstand waiting a couple of years for the game to re-establish itself, particularly if their teams have poor seasons. The only positive thing that might come out of this if and/or when they settle is seeing that little Napoleon pack up his banker's box and walk out the door of 1251 Avenue of the Americas, NY, NY for the final time. Mr Fehr will have already vacated his post since this is apparently his last kick at the cat.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Fidel Astro

Traditional markets are going to be OK with fan support, no matter how long the lockout lasts. I'd like to see hockey come back ASAP, but I'm not going to stop being a Jets fan if it doesn't. Nor are Leafs fans, or Habs fans, or Bruins fans, etc.

The only places this is a legitimate concern are struggling (non-traditional) markets. Good. **** 'em. Let the entire world see how apathetic the fans are in a place like Phoenix, so there's no need to debate whether they should be relocated or not.

I'm actually hoping some of these teams get even worse attendance after the lockout so we can finally be rid of them once and for all.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
Traditional markets are going to be OK with fan support, no matter how long the lockout lasts. I'd like to see hockey come back ASAP, but I'm not going to stop being a Jets fan if it doesn't. Nor are Leafs fans, or Habs fans, or Bruins fans, etc.

The only places this is a legitimate concern are struggling (non-traditional) markets. Good. **** 'em. Let the entire world see how apathetic the fans are in a place like Phoenix, so there's no need to debate whether they should be relocated or not.

I'm actually hoping some of these teams get even worse attendance after the lockout so we can finally be rid of them once and for all.
Some of those teams like Columbus have these things called leases that, if broken, would cost the League (all teams) a fortune.
Relocation is possible when a lease has run out (Islanders) or when the owners of the arena throw the team out (Atlanta).

You might want to learn about the potential consequences of your scenario before wishing it upon others.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Moe Mantha

My wife had ZERO interest in hockey. Hated it. Then, the Winnipeg Jets came back and she got completely caught up in the excitement, knew all the players, and embarrassingly enough started noticing missed penalty calls before I did.

Now, she's become so frustrated with no hockey this year, she's lost some of her interest, which I think is very sad.

As for backs of jerseys, I've got a Ladd home jersey - If this goes all year I'm just going to replace Ladd #16 with True North #1 or #11, just to show exactly where my loyalties REALLY lie...

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Some of those teams like Columbus have these things called leases that, if broken, would cost the League (all teams) a fortune.
Relocation is possible when a lease has run out (Islanders) or when the owners of the arena throw the team out (Atlanta).

You might want to learn about the potential consequences of your scenario before wishing it upon others.
I don't care about that stuff. I just hate what the NHL has become, and I think the fallout from the lockout might offer a unique opportunity to make things right, no matter what it costs.

The long-term benefit of taking the rotting, disease-ridden carcass of the Phoenix Coyotes out back and burning it, for example, would probably be worth the league spending a bit of money.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:54 AM
DuklaNation

Quote:

Not necessarily. Other franchises do not pay for other failed franchises costs. We dont know what the lease terms are at any rate.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:55 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
I'll be done with hockey for good unless the league makes some grand gesture that really shows they care about us.

Something like putting "thank you fans" on the ice would do the trick just fine.
thats a grand gesture? they did that crap last time.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
I don't care about that stuff. I just hate what the NHL has become, and I think the fallout from the lockout might offer a unique opportunity to make things right, no matter what it costs.

The long-term benefit of taking the rotting, disease-ridden carcass of the Phoenix Coyotes out back and burning it, for example, would probably be worth the league spending a bit of money.
It's fine that you don't care about that kind of stuff. But if you don't care about the financials you probably should refrain from commenting on stuff you don't care about and know nothing about.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Pilky01

Bettman's statement at the beginning of the lock-out, about how fans will come back because they did last time, is a great example of how out of touch these two sides are.

This lockout is doing serious damage to the game, and even more serious damage to the league.

That fans have just 'accepted' that lock-outs are a part of the league now, and the cynicism that breeds, is HORRIBLE for the long-term growth of the NHL.

And still, I place most of that blame on the owners. They are the ones who are supposed to have the league's long term interests in mind because they are the ones who stand to benefit from that long term success. Yet here they are, for the second time in under a decade, about to cut off their nose to spite their face.

They behave like spoiled children. Getting exactly what they want isn't good enough. They demand it now.

And throw that same accusation at the players all you like, but they aren't supposed to be the "businessmen". They have no skin in the NHL's long term game so it shouldn't be on them to solve the league's problems.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Not necessarily. Other franchises do not pay for other failed franchises costs. We dont know what the lease terms are at any rate.
We do know that should a franchise fail the NHL can opt to take on the penalties that would come with breaking a lease, and that's an easy, but painful, decision to make: if you want to draw in potential owners to expand in new markets you make sure they know they are covered in case things go wrong.
We know about a few leases, for example the CBJ's lease agreement is for 30 years.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I haven't missed a Sabre game in close to 10 years. This though has killed my passion to the degree that I may not even start watching again when I come back. Certainly no money will be spent of gear, tickets etc.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Jopsey

I will continue to watch on tv but I for sure as hell won't be attending any games this year and I hope others don't as well. The price of tickets will be higher along with the price of concessions, so if we don't go to buy their overpriced **** I think it would really send a message.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:30 AM
cbcwpg

What Have You Done for ME Lately

Senators poll fans about ideas to entice them to return

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...them-to-return

During this lockout, the fans have made numerous threats that they won't be so willing to flock back to the league that has burned them repeatedly for two decades. Most people seem to simply dismiss that as an empty threat, the fans always come back.

However the Ottawa Senators don't seem to want to calll the fans' bluff. They are taking steps to figure out what they can do to make sure fans come back to Scotiabank Place whenever the season actually starts. The hope is to negate any of the residual damage.

Will be interesting to see if other teams do anything to "entice" us to come back.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Finlandia WOAT

It's really a shame here in Carolina. A solid core of Staal, Ward and Pitkanen, with the additions of Jordan Staal and Alex Semin and the emergence of Skinner and Justin Faulk led to a ton of hype in Raleigh, and record season ticket sales.

But the lockout, coupled with the fact that all three colleges in the area are bowl eligible (except UNC LOL) for football and national contenders in basketball is going to kill any momentum that they may have had. Their only hope is to start off red hot and roar into the playoffs.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Section337

People like to get upset, it's one of the great things about sports. Casual fans for years question why they have to deal with an 82 games season, saying too many games are meaningless. If a shortened season occurs, casual fans will question why they didn't get an 82 game season.

Personally, I think the number of people that will leave because of anger is fairly small and many of those will be short term. The real worry is always that people find another way to spend their entertainment budget and dollars, the group that leave because of this will be larger and take longer to get back.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:43 AM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I find it ironic that the lockout is essentially happening to protect the teams in non-hockey markets, but it's only the non-hockey market teams that will be negatively affected by the lockout.
That may be true long term, but the hockey markets are the only ones losing money short term.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Not really. The lease is with the team, not the league. If the franchise goes belly up then that lease essentially means diddly in the end if no other individual operator can be uncovered - one willing to assume the obligation. The NHL doesn't have a lease in Columbus, but rather, an individual operator/holding company holds the lease.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Finlandia WOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Not really. The lease is with the team, not the league. If the team goes belly up then that lease essentially means diddly in the end if no other individual operator is willing to assume the obligation. The NHL doesn't have a lease in Columbus, but rather, an individual operator/holding company holds the lease.
If this is true, then why would the NHL pay to break the lease?

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote