HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Ari91

vCash: 500
I'd imagine that every small market team would have to consider ways to entice fans to come back to the game. They can't hold out on a season to get a more favourable CBA deal all the while driving away their revenue source without even trying to make amends with fans for the wait.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
I don't even go to the sports sites anymore that I used to daily. I have been catching up on a lot of great shows I have not seen over the years....for free. Hockey is something I find I care less about with each passing day. Last lock out I didn't watch for two years. I was a die hard for over 35 years before that. This nonsense just makes me want to stay away.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
If this is true, then why would the NHL pay to break the lease?
What are you talking about? The individual franchise holder is responsible for the lease, not the league.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Well I can say that my passion for my NJ Devils will go right back as soon as hockey comes back.. I have no plans to give up my season tix or stop watching on TV.. If anything, this lockout has made me miss it more so I've been buying merch to pass the time.. Ill probably boycott national TV games for a while but that's it

But I'll also admit that I didn't really follow hockey at all during the last lockout.. I was a twice-a-season game attendee who didn't watch a lot on TV. So this is really my first lockout.. If there's another one next time around, then I'll probably be just as pissed about it as you guys.. Right now it's just an annoyance for me

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
crazyforhockey

as a hard core fan I feel I have been holding on waiting for a deal,frustrated at seemingly cyclical nature of NHL lockouts...

At the same time even though Ill probably come back to the game at some time.....Im also at the point...where Ive felt that Im gettting to a point of noreturn....why would I come back to be dissapointed in a Bettman lockout after this cba that is being negotiated ends.

my attitude may change when its back on

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
What are you talking about? The individual franchise holder is responsible for the lease, not the league.
You are correct. I think what happened is Canadian Guy and I thought that Fidel was saying that the NHL should take an active participation in moving franchises around, in which case they would have to pay the extraordinary cost for the breakage of the lease (which he didn't say in his OP).

It could very well be that Fidel did not mean that at all (though given his posting history, I'm inclined to disagree).

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
DuklaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
We do know that should a franchise fail the NHL can opt to take on the penalties that would come with breaking a lease, and that's an easy, but painful, decision to make: if you want to draw in potential owners to expand in new markets you make sure they know they are covered in case things go wrong.
We know about a few leases, for example the CBJ's lease agreement is for 30 years.
Duration is just one term and could have other clauses tied to it. Again, we know nothing just speculation.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

I think that with the availability of social media and internet news sites, we are seeing much more detail of the whole process. The downside of all of this for me, is that I'm seeing players' comments that I normally wouldn't see without twitter etc.

I don't care much if I find myself disliking an owner or a lawyer because of the things they say, but I'm trying to avoid reading players' comments because it's going to be hard to see some of them in the same light again and I'd like to be able to continue to enjoy hockey if it ever starts again.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
5 Minute Major

I'll be back but I will never buy NHL merchandise again.

EVER.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:41 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I'd imagine that every small market team would have to consider ways to entice fans to come back to the game. They can't hold out on a season to get a more favourable CBA deal all the while driving away their revenue source without even trying to make amends with fans for the wait.
I don't think the Jets will have to entice any fans back.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:43 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1800
I am seeing a considerable interest drop around Columbus. It's bad enough our team has sucked for 10 plus season, but this NHL lockout is driving away a lot of casual fans. People really just dont give a damn. If this lockout results in a season lost, God help the Blue Jackets. Cant draw 8000 on a weekday night as it is. They might not get 4000 fans on a Tuesday if this continues.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I am seeing a considerable interest drop around Columbus. It's bad enough our team has sucked for 10 plus season, but this NHL lockout is driving away a lot of casual fans. People really just dont give a damn. If this lockout results in a season lost, God help the Blue Jackets. Cant draw 8000 on a weekday night as it is. They might not get 4000 fans on a Tuesday if this continues.
I would think most expansion teams are in the same boat.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

It amazes me to think that the neither side sees this as an issue. There is too much dirty laundry available to everyone on a daily (Daly?) basis and it's really going to cause some fan apathy, if not anger.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I don't think the Jets will have to entice any fans back.
Well, considering they have us locked in for 3-5 years ( smartest thing TNSE did) , no... I don't think the Jets are going to do anything special.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:33 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Some of those teams like Columbus have these things called leases that, if broken, would cost the League (all teams) a fortune.
Relocation is possible when a lease has run out (Islanders) or when the owners of the arena throw the team out (Atlanta).

You might want to learn about the potential consequences of your scenario before wishing it upon others.
Why the hell would other teams be on the hook if columbus defaults on their lease and is sued ? the only team that this applies to is the yotes because the nhl owns that team ( but trust me the jamison deal is going to be completed in " a couple of weeks").

If columbus wants to sue if the blue jackets leave, they have that right. Then again, if the team declared bankruptcy like moyes did then they might not have anyone to sue.

unlike the previous poster, I dont want the non traditional markets to dissapear, but I also don't think that all of them are in viable markets.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
My passion for the sport has slowly declined these past yrs even before this lockout. The game has gotten boring in their attempt to achieve perceived parity.
This. If there were any 'breaking point' for me, it wasn't when the lockout was announced, it was the NHL's subsequent "Message to the fans", in which they said, "competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year."

I could just be reading into it too much, but the idea that having a different team winning the Cup every year is some sort of goal to strive towards, or an achievement to be proud of.... that's extremely off-putting. I mean, what's the ultimate goal here, then? To have talent spread so evenly across the league that the Stanley Cup winner is more or less determined by a dice-roll? That's much more boring to me than seeing the same elite team win it every year.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:47 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
When this lockout first happened, I definitely cared a lot. Over the last month or so, though, I've filled my time with other more important things and just lately I've been debating just how much I would care if hockey started even tomorrow. I couldn't stand to watch these greedy players who would hire a mercenary like Fehr to screw fans over, playing on teams with greedy owners who would rather have no hockey than less profitable hockey. These are not the role models I want my children having, and I'm ashamed that I used to admire some of them myself growing up.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Captain Saku

Wasnt planning on buying tickets and wont for a very long time. The price is ridiculously high to attend a game. I'll keep watching on tv but probably a lot less than the 70-80 regular season games I used to watch, but it's probably related to the lack of excitement towards the team. Once Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Tinordi will become regulars I'll probably be a lot more interested.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

The cap is way to low in this league.

Issue is simple.

Hockey is not popular.

Hockey doesn't make much money. Outside of a few big markets.

To keep the smaller team a float they put a ridiculously low cap.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
This. If there were any 'breaking point' for me, it wasn't when the lockout was announced, it was the NHL's subsequent "Message to the fans", in which they said, "competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year."

I could just be reading into it too much, but the idea that having a different team winning the Cup every year is some sort of goal to strive towards, or an achievement to be proud of.... that's extremely off-putting. I mean, what's the ultimate goal here, then? To have talent spread so evenly across the league that the Stanley Cup winner is more or less determined by a dice-roll? That's much more boring to me than seeing the same elite team win it every year.
Great point. Couldn't agree with you more. I miss the days a team could build a dynasty. Like the Oilers in the late 80's, Isles in the early 80's, and the dominating Habs of the late 70's. No one complained back then about the "competitive balance". Winning a Stanley Cup these days don't mean as much anymore. I mean, with all the player turnaround due to lower UFA age, there is no way any team could build a dynasty any more.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

NBA Cap - 58 million - 15 players (with only 5-10 making any real money)
NFL Cap - 120 million - About 50
MLB Cap - No Cap - Luxury Tax

MLB 30th Highest Paid - Jake Peavy 17 million [A-Rod makes 30 million]
NBA 30th Highest Paid - Kevin Love 13 million
NFL 30th Highest Paid - Adrian Peterson 11.2 milliong
NHL 30th Highest Paid - Brad Richards 6.7 million

Hockey is just a few cuts below.

Crosby would have to double his salary to be paid as much as MLB players who couldn't even make the All-Star game.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'll probably always support unless they miss 2 years and the league dies.

Doesn't mean I'll provide $$$ though, which is what they care about most.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
Great point. Couldn't agree with you more. I miss the days a team could build a dynasty. Like the Oilers in the late 80's, Isles in the early 80's, and the dominating Habs of the late 70's. No one complained back then about the "competitive balance". Winning a Stanley Cup these days don't mean as much anymore. I mean, with all the player turnaround due to lower UFA age, there is no way any team could build a dynasty any more.
I strongly disagree. Back then it was possible to build real dynasties through the draft but not anymore, it's not because of the cap but remember pre-lockout teams like the rangers, philadelphia and detroit could pretty much sign any player they wanted at whatever price they wanted. This is what ruined dynasties. Pittsburgh in the 90s were the closest to a dynastie but they had to depart with imprtant players because they couldnt afford paying them. Money was not much of a factor before the 90s and this is when you could find the last real dynastie in the NHL.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Noticing it, both online and in person in NYC and Montreal, and feeling it myself.

Not a cause for concern yet, I don't think... but it will be if this drags on for a year or more.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:50 PM
CorbeauNoir

I'd usually only go to one or two games a season anyway and most games I watch are through firstrowsports so it's not like this is going to disrupt things too much. At the end of the day it's just too expensive lockout or no lockout, while traveling around over the last year I was able to go to 5 MLS games and 8 or 9 junior hockey games for the price of maybe two or three NHL tickets.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote