Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

HIFK's new Arena

Old
11-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Eidyia

vCash: 500
HIFK's new Arena

HIFK from Helsinki are planning to build a new arena near the downtown of Helsinki.

News in Finnish: http://yle.fi/urheilu/hifklle_uusi_h...garden/6374749

11,000 spectators, hotel, restaurants, underground parking, grocery stores, local train station, etc.

It would be near the Olympic Stadium and Sonera Stadium (football, HJK).

But what's more important it'd be a slap to the face for Mr.Harkimo and his Jokerit and their Hartwall Arena which has been the number one place for international indoor events so far.

It's scheduled to be finished in 2016 and it's supposed to be funded by private investors.

Oh, and the name would be "Helsinki Garden".

Last edited by Eidyia: 11-13-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
Oh, and the name would be "Helsinki Garden".
Rather silly anglism, yes, but it could be worse. At least it's not being named after the main sponsor. "KOFF Garden" would be worth an even more rigorous headshake.

But apart from the name, this is a great plan. Currently Hartwall Arena pretty much has the monopoly in what comes to big stage hockey events (with HK Arena in Turku getting whatever drops off the table). Between this new garden and the upcoming arena in Tampere, it'll do nothing but good for the hockey scene in Finland.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Good news I've said for a while now that Jaahalli is too small and an extra 3000 capacity is more than welcome

Hopefully they consider more names

vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Rather silly anglism, yes, but it could be worse. At least it's not being named after the main sponsor. "KOFF Garden" would be worth an even more rigorous headshake.

But apart from the name, this is a great plan. Currently Hartwall Arena pretty much has the monopoly in what comes to big stage hockey events (with HK Arena in Turku getting whatever drops off the table). Between this new garden and the upcoming arena in Tampere, it'll do nothing but good for the hockey scene in Finland.
Agreed 100%. Except for the bolded part.

You really think the Tampere project is ever going to be finished? I'm more optimistic with the Espoo Football Stadium (in Tapiola) than with this neverending SimCity-dream in Tampere. (and they're both very far from coming to reality).

Nevertheless, I hope they'd both succeed. That would haste the process of a "New Raksila" here in the north, which has been in the talks for years.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

vCash: 50
looks awesome

i hope the Tampere arena gets made, that one looks beautiful too

SPMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Good news I've said for a while now that Jaahalli is too small and an extra 3000 capacity is more than welcome
Old Nordis would make a great home for Team Finland in volleyball and basketball if they'd turn it in to an proper indoor sports arena.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Last edited by vsk92: 11-13-2012 at 12:34 PM.
vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:46 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
You really think the Tampere project is ever going to be finished?
In case you missed it, Tampere city council agreed on the plan more than a year ago. The construction schedule is down to details now. They settle those, and they can start the actual work.

Though even without that piece of news, a new arena for Tampere has been a foregone conclusion for a while. Hakametsä is practically on its last legs, even those who disagree with the current plan agree with that. But because it's been declared a national monument or something like that, they can't just rip it down or reasonably modernize it.

So yeah, it's coming alright.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
In case you missed it, Tampere city council agreed on the plan more than a year ago. The construction schedule is down to details now. They settle those, and they can start the actual work.

Though even without that piece of news, a new arena for Tampere has been a foregone conclusion for a while. Hakametsä is practically on its last legs, even those who disagree with the current plan agree with that. But because it's been declared a national monument or something like that, they can't just rip it down or reasonably modernize it.

So yeah, it's coming alright.
I obviously missed that, thank you. I stopped following the whole progress in Tampere when there was complaints after complaints.

Anyway, I'm happy it's getting done!

Old
11-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Pine Bluff Variant

vCash: 460
Argh, the "Helsinki Garden" name sounds silly. I actually would have preferred "KOFF Garden" just for the laugh value of it. But I'm really excited for this, watching HIFK in a brand new arena will be an amazing feeling I'm sure.

Pine Bluff Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Eidyia

Sinebrychoff Arena would sound very classy (and foreign).

Carlsberg Arena? (Koff is a part of Carlsberg)

Old
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
FlutteringSaucer

What's so wrong with "Helsinki Garden"? After all they are planning the terrestrial buildings to be around the center garden. And it would be the name for the whole complex afaik. The HIFK's arena underground would most likely get some sponsor name.

Oh and excellent news of course! I like the design and this kind of multi-purpose complex is the only way to get a permission to build a new arena within a walking distance of city center. The synergy benefits for the public funded Olympic Stadium renovations should help with the politics too

Harkimo is deep in the Finnish Icehockey Federation with his back washing so I don't see the possible new arena to be home of the national team as long as Kummola is in charge. But you never know Hartwall Areena will be around 20 years old already if this gets done in the time schedule, which I doubt a little bit but still very optimistic about the project.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Finland has enough arenas. I think they pretty eloquently explained why it's a "garden" - because it's not a simple sports venue, but a complex that's supposed to hold a lot of different enterprises.

The funny thing is that they had this same discussion some 20 years ago. Back then we had a ton of "hallis" around, and "Hartwall Arena" was regarded as a rather silly and perplexing way to bring an international twist to it.

Fast forward to the current day - Finland is full of arenas and no one has any kind of problem with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Harkimo is deep in the Finnish Icehockey Federation with his back washing so I don't see the possible new arena to be home of the national team as long as Kummola is in charge.
Hasn't Kummola hinted he might actually be out by the time this one's standing?

Old
11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Harkimo is deep in the Finnish Icehockey Federation with his back washing so I don't see the possible new arena to be home of the national team as long as Kummola is in charge. But you never know Hartwall Areena will be around 20 years old already if this gets done in the time schedule, which I doubt a little bit but still very optimistic about the project.
The fact that Hartwall Areena fits 2000 more already means it makes zero sense to lose out on the extra income. However, future World Championships (probably next decade) could be held in Helsinki alone.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
The fact that Hartwall Areena fits 2000 more already means it makes zero sense to lose out on the extra income. However, future World Championships (probably next decade) could be held in Helsinki alone.
At least I didn't hear HIFK stating that the arena would be for 11k, I believe it's all from rumours. Kauppalehti had it "around 12k". And the planning of the arena is far from ready so they might not even be certain about it yet. However I think 11k would be quite ideal for a SM-Liiga arena in Helsinki.

Last edited by FlutteringSaucer: 11-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post

It won't look like that, those pictures are merely to give an impression how much space it will take: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/HIFKn+j%C3%...a1305614918131

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
I can only imagine the political clashes behind the scenes when they're trying to choose two out of Hartwall, HIFK Arena and the new Tampere Central Arena in 2020.

Hopefully hockey is more popular then so we can play in three groups.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Lui One Hall

Helsinki/"sponsor name" Garden is just fine. I mean, what are the other options, really? xxx-Keskus or "Uusi Jäähalli"?

Having the modern Helsinki Garden entertainment complex right next to the traditional Helsinki Winter Garden would be pretty cool.

Last edited by Lui One Hall: 11-13-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:00 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
It won't look like that, those pictures are merely to give an impression how much space it will take: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/HIFKn+j%C3%...a1305614918131
I kind a like that shape, I hope they at least build that higher building so there could be a restaurant or a bar on the upper floors where there would be a kick ass view to downtown Helsinki. Also I like that they are building a multi-purpose complex and not just a hockey rink. The location is very good, probably the best place actually. Traffic could be a problem so they have figure that one out.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Sounds pretty gosh darn nice in every possible way whatever the name will be eventually.

Meanwhile in Pori...

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Sounds pretty gosh darn nice in every possible way whatever the name will be eventually.

Meanwhile in Pori...
Asshat's has you Juzmo, no need for new arena.

and this guy...

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Finnpin

Nice bold and sexy plan but we'll see...

Estimated opening time would be now closer to 2018 than 2016 and it's not even 100% certain IFK gets that place...there is 10 projects wanting that territory plus HIFK still needs to find the funds/investors.

That first design is just a drawing (might and probably will change like in so many projects in Helsinki area*) and I'm sure the garden will be called "some sponsor" Garden just like so many arenas these days.

(*Edit. Jussi's link says it well)

*For example Hartwall Areena's design in first place was way more sexier but it would have been too expensive so other cheaper design had to be used.'

I know IFK needs a new modern arena but does Helsinki need 2 big arenas and can they both survive in events not called hockey? that's the question what the investors have to think also when IFK knocks door.

But anyways good luck HIFK.

OT. IMO what Helsinki needs more is a venue/club of around 2500-3000 persons for rock/pop gigs etc.

Last edited by Finnpin: 11-15-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I know IFK needs a new modern arena but does Helsinki need 2 big arenas and can they both survive in events not called hockey? that's the question what the investors have to think also when IFK knocks door.
You're right, but remember that Helsinki is the fastest growing city in the Nordic.

What's enough today might not be enough in 2020 or 2025. And as you said, this project is far from coming to reality, it's just a plan. Reality is though, that HIFK won't be playing in old Nordis much longer. They're buiding a new arena in the near future whether it'll be in Töölö or somewhere else.

And the investors don't care about the hockey venue, they care about the businnesses and the infrastructure that comes with it. Or what they hope that comes with it.

All that said, I hope they build it near their current arena and leave that place in Töölö for a park or something. It's such a nice and open neighbourhood and I'm a little scared that a massive multicomplex would ruin it.

Last edited by Eidyia: 11-15-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Quote:
All that said, I hope they build it near their current arena and leave that place in Töölö for a park or something. It's such a nice and open neighbourhood that I'm a little scared that a massive multicomlplex would ruin it.
The last thing Helsinki needs is another park or open/green space in any of its downtown districts, especially in Töölö.

Last edited by premadonna: 11-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.
premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoluutio View Post

That looks pretty nice and green, actually.

Don't ruin it.