HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN: Brampton Battalion relocation proves Toronto isn't a hockey town

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
  #326
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Fair enough. I don't think hockey will always be number 1. Demographics. The Leafs better start something soon. Remeber the Mets were the talk of NY not even 25 years ago.
I agree. I feel really bad for kids growing up in Toronto.

When I grew up, I had Sundin and Carter to cheer for. The Sundin era was what made me a die-hard Leafs fan.

Kids these days will have nothing to capture their attention. Lockouts and missing the playoffs.

Plus demographics are changing. But regardless, all our teams suck. Raptors have been lost in the woods since Bosh left; Leafs had a tragic collapse last year; the Jays haven't made the playoffs since who knows when [although Bautista is generating some buzz]; and Toronto FC is the worst team in the MLS.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
  #327
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I agree. I feel really bad for kids growing up in Toronto.

When I grew up, I had Sundin and Carter to cheer for. The Sundin era was what made me a die-hard Leafs fan.

Kids these days will have nothing to capture their attention. Lockouts and missing the playoffs.

Plus demographics are changing. But regardless, all our teams suck. Raptors have been lost in the woods since Bosh left; Leafs had a tragic collapse last year; the Jays haven't made the playoffs since who knows when [although Bautista is generating some buzz]; and Toronto FC is the worst team in the MLS.
The Leafs had a modicum of success, I think they could easily maintain their position.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:10 AM
  #328
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure that if there is an NHL team around not many people are going to go to minor league games unless either their kids are involved or it's like a CHL game or something.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:01 AM
  #329
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorsand View Post
Why are there people on here talking like Torontonians should be ashamed for not going to junior games? Am I supposed to feel sorry for not giving a **** about the ohl? I go to leafs and marlies games when I get the chance. During the season I spend every Saturday night watching both games of the double header on CBC. If there's no leaf game on a weekday I'm usually content watching whatever game tsn has on. I do this because I know that I am watching the highest level of hockey in the world and that entertains me. Junior does not cut it for me, went to a colts game once and have no intention of going to another. So Toronto is not a hockey town because of people like me who don't care to drive out to Brampton to watch one or two good players skate around puny high school kids? **** off. I've probably watched more capitals/devils games than most of their own fans.
No need to insult the OHL. These "puny high school kids" give the same amount of heart as NHL players. Besides, I'm pretty sure last years Knights and Ice Dogs teams were playing better hockey than the Leafs were

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
  #330
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Germany
Posts: 42,361
vCash: 500
I'd say it's rather embarassing for hockey fans in Toronto.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:21 AM
  #331
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'd say it's rather embarassing for hockey fans in Toronto.
Ottawa fans are one to talk, we fill your damned building for you!

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:25 AM
  #332
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,343
vCash: 500
I live downtown, so no, I don't care about the Batallion.

I could walk to a Leafs or Marlies game, and after some of my favourite OHL teams, they're about eighth on my list of hockey teams to see in the province.

I'm not sure what their demise has to do with my interest in hockey given those kind of options.

Gobias Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
  #333
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Germany
Posts: 42,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Ottawa fans are one to talk, we fill your damned building for you!
Yeah, that's why it's empty when the Leafs aren't in town.

The difference being that the Gatineau Olympiques and the Ottawa 67s also draw well.

And that's because Ottawa is a hockey town, while Toronto isn't.

I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons why hockey (aside from the Leafs) doesn't really matter much in the Big Smoke, but the fact remains that it doesn't.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
  #334
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 500
This pissing contest is still going on? 14 pages on an OHL team relocating...I'm sure this isn't common on this forum.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
  #335
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
How are the Leafs competition to the OHL franchises? Only 18k can go to a Leafs game out of a population of more than 5 million. And most nights they probably aren't playing at the same time. The Chicago Wolves who play in suburab Chicago do great despite the Blackhawks. The 67's, Hitmen, Oil Kings and Giants do great. The Alberta teams play in the same frickin arena as the NHL clubs, have a small fraction of the population to draw from and get 3 to 4 times the attendance. Those my friends, are hockey towns. Toronto (GTA) is a Leafs town.

I think soccer is a more popular sport here.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
  #336
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Jerk Store's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
There are not a lot of white ppl/hockey ppl in brampton/missisauga.
whoaaaaaa...

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
  #337
Lilou
t-.-t
 
Lilou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scarborough, ON
Posts: 5,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, that's why it's empty when the Leafs aren't in town.

The difference being that the Gatineau Olympiques and the Ottawa 67s also draw well.

And that's because Ottawa is a hockey town, while Toronto isn't.

I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons why hockey (aside from the Leafs) doesn't really matter much in the Big Smoke, but the fact remains that it doesn't.
Coming off of last season the Marlies have drawn well and Oshawa is fine. What's your point. It was only a few seasons ago your owners had to come out publically and BEG fans to go to scotiabank. Why should they have to do that if you're so dedicated? I heard all the excuses of the arena being too far and not a proper bus route. You aren't hockey fans. Ottawa is a government town, we'll continue to outnumber you in your own arena and boo your players, you live in the sticks, and your city closes at 4. Pissing contest done. Close this thread.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
  #338
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, that's why it's empty when the Leafs aren't in town.

The difference being that the Gatineau Olympiques and the Ottawa 67s also draw well.
And that's because Ottawa is a hockey town, while Toronto isn't.

I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons why hockey (aside from the Leafs) doesn't really matter much in the Big Smoke, but the fact remains that it doesn't.
That's because Ottawa is boring as hell so the Ottawa 67s and Gatineau Olympiques are up high on the totem pole of things to do.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
  #339
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser
 
Marco Esquandolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
That's because Ottawa is boring as hell so the Ottawa 67s and Gatineau Olympiques are up high on the totem pole of things to do.
Yeah, and there's a pretty big drop-off after that. I think the next best thing to do in Ottawa after a 67s game is loiter at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
  #340
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,282
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, that's why it's empty when the Leafs aren't in town.

The difference being that the Gatineau Olympiques and the Ottawa 67s also draw well.

And that's because Ottawa is a hockey town, while Toronto isn't.

I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons why hockey (aside from the Leafs) doesn't really matter much in the Big Smoke, but the fact remains that it doesn't.
Its because Ottawa is a dull city and people need to entertain themselves I swear worst city ive ever visited (sorry im not exaggerating though, even went during winterlude and it was dull). Not to mention, its small and theres no traffic so people have a mode of transportation to get to the outskirts (Just think Downtown Toronto to Brampton is about 2 times the drive from Ottawa to Kanata), and doing 40 kms by public transportation is no easy task. The commute just is not fesible, not to mention its competeing with 6 professional leauges while in Ottawa there is only 1, and is 6 kms away from rivials Mississauga there by splitting the local community. All factors considered, there is no shot in hell it would last no matter the market.


Last edited by The Podium: 11-13-2012 at 10:51 PM.
The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
  #341
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?
 
Joe Pesci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
That's because Ottawa is boring as hell so the Ottawa 67s and Gatineau Olympiques are up high on the totem pole of things to do.
Living in Ottawa because I go to Uni here. Can vouch for this statement. Easily more things to do in Toronto than up here.

I guess in a way, you can say Ottawa is more of a hockey town compared to Toronto, seeing as the only sports teams up here are hockey teams.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:01 PM
  #342
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'd say it's rather embarassing for hockey fans in Toronto.
lol, coming from Ottawa? Really?

Easily the worst hockey market in Canada. Just look at your season tix situation compared to any other Canadian market. As well as your history of bankruptcy. As well as how there are more Leafs and Habs fans in your very own market.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:04 PM
  #343
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
This pissing contest is still going on? 14 pages on an OHL team relocating...I'm sure this isn't common on this forum.
You're missing the broader theme of the thread. Few in this thread really care about the Battalion, Brampton or North Bay. It is just more ammunition to use against Toronto, the Leafs, and its fanbase. Now that is all too common on this forum.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
  #344
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
You're missing the broader theme of the thread. Few in this thread really care about the Battalion, Brampton or North Bay. It is just more ammunition to use against Toronto, the Leafs, and its fanbase. Now that is all too common on this forum.
I haven't missed that point, that's why I called it a pissing match. For so many people who want to get on their high horse and declare themselves the judge of what a true hockey market or true hockey fans are all about, it doesn't reflect well that you'd spend any great deal of time giving attention to an author that uses hockey as a way to fuel negativity towards a city rather than actually talk about the hockey team in question.

And to that point, it's simply not worth arguing with those kind of people over the matter especially for 14 pages.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:35 PM
  #345
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
lol, coming from Ottawa? Really?

Easily the worst hockey market in Canada. Just look at your season tix situation compared to any other Canadian market. As well as your history of bankruptcy. As well as how there are more Leafs and Habs fans in your very own market.
Trying. Too. Hard.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
  #346
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Are Toronto fans under the impression that the team in Ottawa's called the Strawmans all of a sudden? Say "lol, at least we're not Ottawa," isn't doing anything other than making you look juvenile.

And this is still going on? Man, more people have probably been to this topic then that hack of an initial article to begin with....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
  #347
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?
 
Joe Pesci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Trying. Too. Hard.
That's actually how I'd describe the author and article that spurred this thread, as well as the numerous posters making the claim that Toronto is not a hockey market.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
  #348
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'd say it's rather embarassing for hockey fans in Toronto.
Looking at the responses on here from Maple Leafs fans it's something we don't take seriously because it the article is full of incorrect information and wouldn't call it embarassing. It's not fair to claim we are a bad Hockey market because one OHL team couldn't last in Brampton even though there are other OHL based teams in the GTA, plus the other minior Hockey leagues. Finally there other major sports in Toronto such as the NBA, MLB, AHL, MLS, CFL, NLL and MLS. So Toronto is more then just a city for Hockey.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
  #349
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Trying. Too. Hard.
what trying? he did no research or anything he just listed well known facts

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
  #350
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
That's actually how I'd describe the author and article that spurred this thread, as well as the numerous posters making the claim that Toronto is not a hockey market.
Hah, yeah, I'm listening to THN podcasts, and in the last month or so they've sneaked in the "Toronto is not a hockey town" comment on two separate occasions.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.