HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Brian Leetch or Al MacInnis?

View Poll Results: Well
Leetch 14 15.91%
Mac 74 84.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Blues88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Macinnis was outstanding and elite defensively where Leetch was average to above average. But let's be honest -- the bulk of his points were because of his bomb. Leetch had an average shot but was far more creative with the puck.
I'm being honest when I say MacInnis scored the bulk of his points due to his high level of understanding about how to play the game. He exploited the space he was given at the point to set up teammates for easy goals and tip ins. He had great vision and could make the stretch pass. He possessed one of the most accurate point shots I've seen to date and even as a premiere offensive Dman early in his career, he developed into a very good puck disrupting defender in his own end.

I think MacInnis' influence on Pronger's career goes a bit unrecognized as well. I loved watching Leetch and this is close, but the tipping point for me is MacInnis' consistency and longevity. At 39 years old he had 68 points in 80 games. That seems pretty good.

Blues88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:07 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
I'm being honest when I say MacInnis scored the bulk of his points due to his high level of understanding about how to play the game. He exploited the space he was given at the point to set up teammates for easy goals and tip ins. He had great vision and could make the stretch pass. He possessed one of the most accurate point shots I've seen to date and even as a premiere offensive Dman early in his career, he developed into a very good puck disrupting defender in his own end.

I think MacInnis' influence on Pronger's career goes a bit unrecognized as well. I loved watching Leetch and this is close, but the tipping point for me is MacInnis' consistency and longevity. At 39 years old he had 68 points in 80 games. That seems pretty good.
extreme minority opinion, but i think macinnis was the league's true MVP in '03, just like i think coffey was the league's true MVP in '95 (MVP in the literal sense of most valuable, not best player).

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Actually, let's be honest. MacInnis has almost as many assists in his career as Leetch has total points. There was a LOT more to him than just that bomb.
I know that. But Leetch was the better playmaker/passer during his prime.

Leetch finished top-10 in the league in assists four times between 1991 and 1997. MacInnis only once in that span.

Between 1989 and 1997, Bourque was the best in the game. It's hard to argue against Leetch being the 2nd best in that span.

From 1998 onward MacInnis was clearly the better overall defenseman at both ends of the ice.

I'm not saying MacInnis was one-dimensional offensively. But you cant deny his shot (obviously a God-given talent) played a significant role in the points he produced over his career.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Leetch finished top-10 in the league in assists four times between 1991 and 1997. MacInnis only once in that span.

Between 1989 and 1997, Bourque was the best in the game. It's hard to argue against Leetch being the 2nd best in that span.

From 1998 onward MacInnis was clearly the better overall defenseman at both ends of the ice.

I'm not saying MacInnis was one-dimensional offensively. But you cant deny his shot (obviously a God-given talent) played a significant role in the points he produced over his career.
To how much of a "meaningful" degree, though, given their respective production? Enough to make him better fit the description of "powerplay quarterback" than MacInnis? I personally don't agree, but it's subjective.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Was it really that much better than MacInnis in 89?
It's wasnt that much better. MacInnis gets overlooked because the 1989 Cup run was relatively easy for Calgary after Round 1, yet MacInnis had an amazing scoring streak -- something like point in all but one of two playoff games, and he saved his best for the last two rounds.

It wasnt a flashy performance, which kinda sums up MacInnis' career.

Statistically speaking, however, Leetch had the better postseason.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Blues88

Quote:

Wouldn't you expect professionals to utilize the strongest facets of their games for producing and winning?

I feel I could do the same, hence: "I'm not saying [Leetch] was one-dimensional offensively. But you cant deny his [skating] (obviously a God-given talent) played a significant role in the points he produced over his career." There were a ton of other facets to these player's games that helped them excel beyond many of their peers.

They had similar careers in terms of accomplishments but again, few have played their twilight years at a higher level than Mac. Leetch isn't a bad or wrong choice, but let's keep it fair.

Last edited by Blues88: 11-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Blues88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:54 AM
SealsFan

I think Leetch got more publicity playing in New York; if MacInnis had spent his career with the Rangers there would be a bronze statue of him outside Madison Square Garden. Mac gets my vote.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Puckgenius*

Many goalies were actually scared of MacInnis shot. I would be too

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:16 AM
whatname

prime would go to Leetch. He was a beast when they won the cup (although I am aware of Al's earlier Conn). Al was always a good player and after he became great defensively, he was consistent in both parts of the game until he was forced to retire. Therefore, I would select MacInnis due to his long, steady career.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote