HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Tom Wilson - Plymouth Whalers, OHL (Washington Capitals)

Old
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Epoch

vCash: 500
Brian Burke will surely trade up from 35 to get him, just like with Tyler Biggs last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Anyone who looks at Wilson's size and PIM totals and is expecting another Lucic is going to be very disappointed. Wilson is a very, very underwhelming fighter. In the NHL he will not be an enforcer but rather a tomato can.......
Good thing for Wilson that fighting ability can be improved upon.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Tom Wilson has Maple Leafs' pick written all over him.
Wilson is every team's type of player as they all look for power forwards.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Bryan Bickell (0.59PPG his draft year) seems to be doing well for himself this season as well.

Also heard Blake Comeau is a decent bottom sixer as well (0.443)

Tyler Kennedy (0.667), Troy Brouwer (0.634), Brooks Laich? (0.4)
Now please list all the players with similar stats who aren't top 9 forwards. This might take a while, so I won't expect anything soon.

Plus, all these players were not taken in the first round, so the odds of them making the NHL are low enough, then you might as well draft based on tools. I don't think anyone's arguing against taking Tom Wilson in the third round like Kennedy.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
Now please list all the players with similar stats who aren't top 9 forwards. This might take a while, so I won't expect anything soon.

Plus, all these players were not taken in the first round,so the odds of them making the NHL are low enough, then you might as well draft based on tools. I don't think anyone's arguing against taking Tom Wilson in the third round like Kennedy.
So ... wouldn't that justify taking Wilson in the first round? If teams project that Wilson can contribute the same amount of value as their "non-first rounders", wouldn't that make drafting him with a late 1st worth it?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!

Quote:
So ... wouldn't that justify taking Wilson in the first round? If teams project that Wilson can contribute the same amount of value as their "non-first rounders", wouldn't that make drafting him with a late 1st worth it?
Not at all. When six low-scoring juniors out of hundreds make it to the NHL, people can list them because.........they are in the NHL. We know who they are.

The hundreds who don't make it, we don't make lists of them because......they are not in the NHL. We don't know who they are.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Not at all. When six low-scoring juniors out of hundreds make it to the NHL, people can list them because.........they are in the NHL. We know who they are.

The hundreds who don't make it, we don't make lists of them because......they are not in the NHL. We don't know who they are.
Yes, there are also thousands who score a good amount in juniors and still don't make it.

My point is ... you can't disregard a prospect simply because he isn't scoring, especially when his projected upside is a physical, grinding forward that possesses a decent finishing touch. I prefer to listen to those who actually watch him and tell me that he has potential rather than looking at a stat sheet and simply saying "nah"

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:19 PM
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!

Quote:
Yes, there are also thousands who score a good amount in juniors and still don't make it.

My point is ... you can't disregard a prospect simply because he isn't scoring, especially when his projected upside is a physical, grinding forward that possesses a decent finishing touch. I prefer to listen to those who actually watch him and tell me that he has potential rather than looking at a stat sheet and simply saying "nah"
No problem, not everyone who has seen him play views him as a 1st-round talent so we can agree to disagree.

I just found it unusual that you would list players selected in the 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th-rounds as a justification for taking him in the 1st round.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:

I'm not saying disregard him completely. I'm saying history shows that 1st rounders who score as poorly as Wilson have not been successful NHLers.

I only went to the last 15 years but if you look at the last 30 years of draft history for forwards with less than 0.7 PPG you'll find 18 players drafted in the top 30. 0 of those 18 became top 9 forwards. The only 2 successes were Brent Burns and Steve Staios, who both became defenceman. Now maybe Wilson will break this 0% success rate over the last 30 years. But you're taking a big gamble with a fairly valuable asset in a 1st round pick.

Those same scouts, who actually watched him play, said the same things about numerous players before him in the 1st round and were wrong every single time.

I also have seen Wilson play and I also like his tools but those odds are poor enough, I wouldn't my team taking prior to the 2nd round.

Last edited by Doomsday Device: 04-19-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Wilson will create Ovechkin like havoc along the wall for WSH.

11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
ponder

Surprised everyone in this thread is so low on him, every time I've seen him play I really like what I see. Seems like too many stat watchers, not enough game watchers. Sometimes you hear a guy hyped as a powerforward, but when you watch him play he's only sort of big, and/or sort of physical. That's not Wilson at all, the guy is a legitimate beast, huge and extremely physical. You notice him constantly in a very positive way even when he's not involved offensively. He seems to have a pretty decent hockey IQ, knows where the puck is going, and where players are going. I think he IS a lot like Lucic in terms of his size, physicality, skating, hands, hockey IQ, etc., though he's behind in some other areas (his shot isn't as good, he doesn't seem to have the knack for scoring garbage goals that Lucic does, and is a worse fighter). Still, I see him being a good/valuable 3rd line winger at worst, and I do think he has a shot at becoming a top 6 winger as well. He has that Callahan/Brown drive to just hit as often and as hard as possible, except he's way bigger (6'4").

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

His cousin was on the soccer team I coached this past summer.

So funny... we always called the kid our team goon/tough guy. When I found out that Tom Wilson was his cousin, I wasn't surprised at all

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Surprised everyone in this thread is so low on him, every time I've seen him play I really like what I see. Seems like too many stat watchers, not enough game watchers. Sometimes you hear a guy hyped as a powerforward, but when you watch him play he's only sort of big, and/or sort of physical. That's not Wilson at all, the guy is a legitimate beast, huge and extremely physical. You notice him constantly in a very positive way even when he's not involved offensively. He seems to have a pretty decent hockey IQ, knows where the puck is going, and where players are going. I think he IS a lot like Lucic, though his shot isn't as good, and he doesn't seem to have the knack for scoring garbage goals that Lucic does either. Still, I see him being a very good/valuable 3rd line winger at worst, and I do think he has a shot at becoming a top 6 winger as well.
This. He is an absolute wrecking ball out there. He wreaks havoc on the opposition on a nightly basis. Hes a great skater for his size and always seems to be hovering around the puck. He may not have the dynamic offensive skills, but he works the boards well enough to hold a top 6 nhl role some day.

In my opinion he makes a team as a third/fourth liner and works his way up as his game adapts into a top 6 role.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:32 PM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Think Washington got a great player in Wilson. He should be a dominant force for them for years to come.

03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Tom Wilson Washington draft pick

How many posters on this site argued that Tom Wilson would be a wasted pick last year and his playoff performance was a fluke, there was a lot

this year

48 games 23 goals 35 assists 58 pts 104 PIM

Its interesting to look back, we should have got another first and landed him

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
ResilientBeast
5-14-6-1

vCash: 300
Don't really think this is the right place for this. But he looks like a solid pick, probably would have taken Teuvo over him but he looks like he'll be a serviceable NHLer.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Moved to Prospects forum.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
wej20

respectable numbers but Caps would be worried if he was putting up anything less.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:38 AM
caley

FTR, I, for one, was fully onboard with Wilson as a borderline Top 10 pick. In the Moderators draft, I chose him for Calgary and got some grief over it. I stand by it.

03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Still can't belive they passed up teuvo. They could have had two absolute steals in Forsberg and teuvo

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I have an affinity for players like Wilson.

Would love to have him in the Flyers system, and there was reported interest in the Flyers drafting him if he fell to them.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Still can't belive they passed up teuvo. They could have had two absolute steals in Forsberg and teuvo
Caps have Forsberg, Kuznetsov and to a lesser extent Galiev as highly offensive wingers, to go along with Ovechkin and Johansson. They have nobody like Wilson when it comes to either prospects or the roster. I'm happy with the pick.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
puckfan13

Not gonna lie, this guy far surpassed my expectations offensively this season. Jared Boll and Tim Sestito had good OHL seasons too though as far as numbers are concerned so we'll see how he translates to the professional level.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
He looks a bit better offensively, but his numbers are getting helped by playing with the best player in the OHL(imo), Vincent Trocheck.

I didn't see "the next Milan Lucic" in him at the draft and I definitely don't see it him yet.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:27 PM
wingsfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He looks a bit better offensively, but his numbers are getting helped by playing with the best player in the OHL(imo), Vincent Trocheck.

I didn't see "the next Milan Lucic" in him at the draft and I definitely don't see it him yet.
He's improved an insane amount offensively over the last year, he's had good linemates but it's obvious that he's just a better all around player in his own right. I've always said he's had good positioning but can't finish and he's starting to get pretty good at that (can still improve a lot though.) In the 30 games before the Trocheck trade he had 12 goals, 22 assists, and was +14, so that's still over a point per game.

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:21 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfan17 View Post
He's improved an insane amount offensively over the last year, he's had good linemates but it's obvious that he's just a better all around player in his own right. I've always said he's had good positioning but can't finish and he's starting to get pretty good at that (can still improve a lot though.) In the 30 games before the Trocheck trade he had 12 goals, 22 assists, and was +14, so that's still over a point per game.
Are you saying he's improved an insane amount statistically or as a prospect?

I've seen him play a handful of times this year and he didn't look much different than last season.

I still don't think he has the hands, release, vision or first-step to be an overly offensive guy at the next level.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote