HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread UPD 1/6 - framework of new CBA agreed to

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 02:46 AM
nerdybeard

vCash: 500

Haven't seen any live action with those two back on HC Davos, but they seem to be playing pretty well. Le sigh at all the current issues plaguing the CBA negotiations.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Maybe. I do agree that a less competitive team will snowball into losses as we have already seen it. The system was meant for the Sharks to find a way to a competitive team with a mid-range payroll. They did it before Thornton; however, they haven't done it since. We have also seen leaguewide that money spent does not equate to competitiveness (eg Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, Florida this past year) although it may help.
The thing about Thornton is that he is a franchise player, so we can't really complain. Thornton is the reason why tickets sell out. Thornton is the reason why our ticket prices go up and we still sell out. Thornton jerseys have sold more then any other. Simply put, Thornton brings in MUCH more revenue with him as opposed to without him.

His number will CERTAINLY be up on the rafters.

We probably will never have a player like him unless Couture REALLY surprises us this decade.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Jesus those uniforms are hideous ...

Old
11-03-2012, 09:51 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Jesus those uniforms are hideous ...
They would be pretty nice without the sponsor logos.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

so apparently the players need 2 days of conference calls after fehr's and daly's 11 meeting on saturday.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
They would be pretty nice without the sponsor logos.
Eeeeeeeeeh, I'm not so sure. They look a little goofy ... more like roller hockey jerseys.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
The thing about Thornton is that he is a franchise player, so we can't really complain. Thornton is the reason why tickets sell out. Thornton is the reason why our ticket prices go up and we still sell out. Thornton jerseys have sold more then any other. Simply put, Thornton brings in MUCH more revenue with him as opposed to without him.

His number will CERTAINLY be up on the rafters.

We probably will never have a player like him unless Couture REALLY surprises us this decade.
They sold out before JT. The problem was the let down right around when Nolan left. They got it back after the visit to the WCF. Won't argue jerseys although it is a lot less revenue than some portray. He has garnered more playoff rounds (another revenue plus, bigger than jerseys) than the previous average.

There are a lot of "franchise" players who never sniff cups. IMO, an overused label (eg Nash).

Old
11-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
They sold out before JT. The problem was the let down right around when Nolan left. They got it back after the visit to the WCF. Won't argue jerseys although it is a lot less revenue than some portray. He has garnered more playoff rounds (another revenue plus, bigger than jerseys) than the previous average.

There are a lot of "franchise" players who never sniff cups. IMO, an overused label (eg Nash).
it is because franchise player gets used for best player on the team. but it should be someone that can be easily built around, someone that nobody the make of the team can adapt to the changes, that can make others better just by being on the bench.

nash could be a franchise player, he is good enough by himself to be one. but i am still not entirely sold if he's a player that can be built around.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:57 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 78
If the lockout lingers Brad Winchester will join TuTo Turku in Finnish Mestis. Their head coach said Winchester'll join TuTo in the next couple of days.

Source

Old
11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

The Shine of New lasted for years for the Sharks being in San Jose. That shine is now gone. If they don't perform like they have since JT got here they will no longer sell out. Hell, they still only sold out last year because of all the season ticket holders and ticket brokers.

It was much tougher to sell tickets as a STH last year than ever before. Weekday games against the Yotes? Good Luck.

Even if we ice a team like the Ricci era hay days of grit and grime rooting for the over achieving underdogs they will very be lucky to have many sellouts, especially with this economy and the 9ers coming to town.

IMO, we are still very lucky to have JT and if we can't somehow find a couple more JT, Boyle and Marleau's the Sharks could be in for some dark times down the road as far as ticket revenue is concerned when those boys tap out.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Ok replace Franchise player to "standings changer" this is what Thornton was when he first arrived and I would argue that the shoe although less comfortable still fits.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:04 PM
WantonAbandon

I'm bummed going to a Sharks game with my wife while visiting may family over the holidays has been a tradition. A tradition that won't happen this year

Old
11-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Dad took me to the Van/SJ game last year during the Winterbreak and he said he was gonna take me to a home game this year. Curse you lockout!!!!!!!!

Old
11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
EastBayShark

My father and I have been partial season ticket holders since 2001. The Sharks have been a large part of our father-son bonding; we look forward to every game. Unfortunately, he acquired colon cancer in 2010 and has been unable to make many games since then. It would be such a bummer to lose out on an activity that we both love to do together late in his life... all due to the greed of millionaires.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayShark View Post
My father and I have been partial season ticket holders since 2001. The Sharks have been a large part of our father-son bonding; we look forward to every game. Unfortunately, he acquired colon cancer in 2010 and has been unable to make many games since then. It would be such a bummer to lose out on an activity that we both love to do together late in his life... all due to the greed of millionaires.
bro-hug

My father and I usually use the Sharks as conversation starters ...

and the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon ...

Old
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
At Primetime Sports Management Trade Show in Toronto. Interesting quote from Steve Fehr: "One thing Bill Daly and I agree on...
When the moment is right...deal will be done very quickly."

Old
11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayShark View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your father. I hope you two can make it to many more Sharks games.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
At Primetime Sports Management Trade Show in Toronto. Interesting quote from Steve Fehr: "One thing Bill Daly and I agree on...
When the moment is right...deal will be done very quickly."
That just pisses me off even more. It's like this is all a hand-waving and charades, that's going to be resolved by some pre-determined date.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:16 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
That just pisses me off even more. It's like this is all a hand-waving and charades, that's going to be resolved by some pre-determined date.
I take it to mean that the other issues aren't really that much of a dividing point, i.e. if they come to agreement on the big issue (division of HRR and honoring existing contracts and I guess revenue sharing) the other stuff will be done very, very fast (stuff like max length of player contracts, entry level contracts, etc).

Old
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I take it to mean that the other issues aren't really that much of a dividing point, i.e. if they come to agreement on the big issue (division of HRR and honoring existing contracts and I guess revenue sharing) the other stuff will be done very, very fast (stuff like max length of player contracts, entry level contracts, etc).
From what I've read, they are there on revenue sharing, and close on existing contracts. The sticking point now is contract lengths, free agency, ELC, etc. It just seems like every time they resolve "the main issue" a new hurdle comes up.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

I'm willing to bet on no season at this point.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
Which basically solidifies that everyone involved is guaranteed to lose more money than they are bargaining over no matter what. Brilliant!

Old
11-13-2012, 09:01 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Word on the media beat is the last remaining issue is RFA to UFA issues, so I don't think that is a good bet.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
I said this the minute I heard the words Don Fehr and NHLPA in the same sentence and I can't understand why anyone associated with hockey is surprised by where we are and where we're headed. The owners made a bad deal 8 years ago and they are not making a fair return on their investment. Not even close. Anything even remotely close to the status quo is a non-starter to them, which should come as a surprise to nobody.

On the other side of the coin, you have probably the biggest egomaniac in all of labor relations in this country. A master manipulator and spin doctor, who has a deep desire to 'win', not settle.

A long lockout was a foregone conclusion a long time ago and neither side is surprised by it. That's why they weren't negotiating way in advance of the expiration of the CBA, because they both knew the gap was enormous and negotiation outside of financial pressure was going to be a total waste of time.

I give it a slim chance we see hockey this year and that will only happen if there is significant movement by the players before the end of November. Absent that, they're out all year. And maybe even the next.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

My season is done either way ... I refuse to watch a red-headed step child of a season like the one we saw in 94/95. I won't be buying Center Ice ever again either. I'll be living near Tahoe soon so I won't have to pay to see Sharks game anyhow. I hate you NHL.

Closed Thread