HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
  #351
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/11...seeking-trade/

No trades yet but Rychel seemed more forthcoming in his thoughts as compared t just saying changes will be made. Talking about 6 players who haven't developed as they have thought they would. The same names talked about here probably Maletta, Bateman, Devlin, Johnson, Ebert and Clarke I imagine. The frustrating part seems to be that they have had meetings, guys benched and met with players one on one.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
  #352
Sec108
Registered User
 
Sec108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IHate LONDON COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/11...seeking-trade/

No trades yet but Rychel seemed more forthcoming in his thoughts as compared t just saying changes will be made. Talking about 6 players who haven't developed as they have thought they would. The same names talked about here probably Maletta, Bateman, Devlin, Johnson, Ebert and Clarke I imagine. The frustrating part seems to be that they have had meetings, guys benched and met with players one on one.
I think all 6 need to be traded.They have been a disappointment.Glad to read in the article that WR is not in too much of a hurry.More movement will come late Dec and Jan deadline.Add koko to the list if he comes back.Lets load up while we can since we will lose so many picks in the next few yrs,this might be a Godsend.

Sec108 is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:19 PM
  #353
Jakey43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Sorry folks - not a lot of teams r going to take the gold Ed pkgs off Windsor hands. The biggest problem is no 19 year old leaders. WR has built the team for next year and with all the 18 yr olds they will be good. Someone said trade kerby. Good idea but obviously won't happen. The prob is that it's like a AAA team with dad coaching and Kerby gets every single important minute. Johnson will never move past him. I make no comments about kerby, but does the team see favoritism? Especially when Warren goes to dressing room between periods and kerby goes to coaches office? As long as kerby is held to a different standard there will be dressing room problems. Another issue is Vail. Terrible teammate and in dressing room. Thinks his **** doesn't stink.
Like I said they will be good next year but not mem cup good and the answer is simple, no hall or elliis. You need to draft well, but also be lucky and no one will admit they got lucky with the two best jr A players in Ontario in the same draft.
It's not easy to win - 20 teams r trying

Jakey43 is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
  #354
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I think all 6 need to be traded.They have been a disappointment.Glad to read in the article that WR is not in too much of a hurry.More movement will come late Dec and Jan deadline.Add koko to the list if he comes back.Lets load up while we can since we will lose so many picks in the next few yrs,this might be a Godsend.
We know all 6 wont be dealt,no question all have had their struggles,though Ebert has played better then last yr,his conditioning much better,he is only a -3,Clarke goes hot and cold offensively,Devlin started slowly has played better,Maletta started strong but has faded,Bateman and Johnson have struggled mightily since camp and have not improved
4 of the 6 players mentioned have gold pks edc wise,so u know they all wont be moved because of that alone
I am glad too that Rychel will be patient,no need to panic

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 08:23 AM
  #355
giantsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Still rather than blaming the six mentioned ( in your opinion ) for the dismall performances of this team, throw the blame on the guys logging all the ice. It is hard to perform at a level that you are expecting them to without the proper icetime, linemates and situations where you can excel - ie. powerplay. WATCH THE GAMES AND FIGURE OUT WHO GETS THE CREDIT WHEN THEY WIN AND WHO GETS THE BLAME WHEN THEY LOSE. IT SHOULD BE THE SAME PLAYERS!
Were things different when you played?

giantsfan is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:50 AM
  #356
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Still rather than blaming the six mentioned ( in your opinion ) for the dismall performances of this team, throw the blame on the guys logging all the ice. It is hard to perform at a level that you are expecting them to without the proper icetime, linemates and situations where you can excel - ie. powerplay. WATCH THE GAMES AND FIGURE OUT WHO GETS THE CREDIT WHEN THEY WIN AND WHO GETS THE BLAME WHEN THEY LOSE. IT SHOULD BE THE SAME PLAYERS!
Were things different when you played?
I am not really sure what you're trying to say. If you're trying to say the team lacks depth then yes. In regards to ice time I still believe the coaches will reward players with ice time given how they are performing and whether they can fill a role. The issue right now is that it's the same guys on the PP and PK and the players are fatigued and have issues generating 5 on 5 opportunities. I know OHLTG won't like this comment but Bilcke and Clark serve very little purpose as of now. With the team struggling to score goals and struggling on the pk you can't really put the above mentioned 2 out there because they're either tied or trailing in most of these games and both have had a penchant for taking ill timed penalties. If you want to look at every forward and tell me what special teams situation they can play in and if they are dependable

Vail-PP, PK
Marchese- PP
Ho-Sang- PP
Maletta-Maybe a bit of both but he hasn't proven he can be consistent
Rychel-PP, he does do PK but that's not a strong part to his game
Johnson-PK
Schoenmakers-PP
Clarke-PK, can play PP but inconsistency prevents him from being a regular
Bilcke-neither
Clark-neither
Verbeek-neither
Studnicka-PK but isn't out there a lot

People can disagree if they want but they dress 3 forwards that can't play in any of the special teams situation. Another forward who gets very little ice, 2 forwards that have really lacked consistency (Maletta, Johnson). Two or three forwards that can only be used in PP situatons and three forwards that are capable of playing PK.

If you look back to when the team was really successful all the forwards were capable of playing in every situation for the most part the exception being Mitchell, Loktionov. Of course you had guys like Wellwood, Watson who were terrific at killing penalties and that was their only special teams role and you could rest the others.

Right now this team does not have the flexibility to roll 8-9 different forwards for various roles. In reality they only have 4 or 5 forwards and it really hampers the team.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:24 AM
  #357
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I am not really sure what you're trying to say. If you're trying to say the team lacks depth then yes. In regards to ice time I still believe the coaches will reward players with ice time given how they are performing and whether they can fill a role. The issue right now is that it's the same guys on the PP and PK and the players are fatigued and have issues generating 5 on 5 opportunities. I know OHLTG won't like this comment but Bilcke and Clark serve very little purpose as of now. With the team struggling to score goals and struggling on the pk you can't really put the above mentioned 2 out there because they're either tied or trailing in most of these games and both have had a penchant for taking ill timed penalties. If you want to look at every forward and tell me what special teams situation they can play in and if they are dependable

Vail-PP, PK
Marchese- PP
Ho-Sang- PP
Maletta-Maybe a bit of both but he hasn't proven he can be consistent
Rychel-PP, he does do PK but that's not a strong part to his game
Johnson-PK
Schoenmakers-PP
Clarke-PK, can play PP but inconsistency prevents him from being a regular
Bilcke-neither
Clark-neither
Verbeek-neither
Studnicka-PK but isn't out there a lot

People can disagree if they want but they dress 3 forwards that can't play in any of the special teams situation. Another forward who gets very little ice, 2 forwards that have really lacked consistency (Maletta, Johnson). Two or three forwards that can only be used in PP situatons and three forwards that are capable of playing PK.

If you look back to when the team was really successful all the forwards were capable of playing in every situation for the most part the exception being Mitchell, Loktionov. Of course you had guys like Wellwood, Watson who were terrific at killing penalties and that was their only special teams role and you could rest the others.

Right now this team does not have the flexibility to roll 8-9 different forwards for various roles. In reality they only have 4 or 5 forwards and it really hampers the team.
Rayzor

I agree with your pt,though one could say the same thing about Kitchener and Owen Sd,they both only have a few forwards that can do both PP and PK,Owen Sd gets offfence from 4 forwards,while Kitchener despite having Faska and Reider have Puempel to thank for their offence
I dont see on their respective rosters alot of others who can do both
Not saying Windsor has more than can do more,just saying not less then those 2 teams
I get it though,offensively more has to come from the likes of Johnson,Clark,Maletta and Clarke

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
  #358
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Rayzor

I agree with your pt,though one could say the same thing about Kitchener and Owen Sd,they both only have a few forwards that can do both PP and PK,Owen Sd gets offfence from 4 forwards,while Kitchener despite having Faska and Reider have Puempel to thank for their offence
I dont see on their respective rosters alot of others who can do both
Not saying Windsor has more than can do more,just saying not less then those 2 teams
I get it though,offensively more has to come from the likes of Johnson,Clark,Maletta and Clarke
I would agree with that. Kitchener is one of the least penalized teams in the league which might help a bit. Of course both teams have terrific goaltenders in Gibson and Binnington. Both teams are very good at the PK and usually your goalie is your best penalty killer.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
  #359
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Rayzor - Clark I may agree with, but Blicke I won't. No need for me to go detail-by-detail as to why, as that's been clearly stated in the past. Just about any team that has won something over the last 10-years has had one player who can be relied on to defend teammates. Just pointing that out.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
  #360
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I would agree with that. Kitchener is one of the least penalized teams in the league which might help a bit. Of course both teams have terrific goaltenders in Gibson and Binnington. Both teams are very good at the PK and usually your goalie is your best penalty killer.
Yes ,I would agree Gibson and Binnington are probably 2 of the top 3 goalies in the league,Subban the other in my view
Owen Sd probably has the best 6/7 defence group in the O in my view,while the Rangers not having a great defence,does have Ryan Murphy a game changer something Windsor does not have and havenot since Ryan Ellis

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
  #361
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Rayzor - Clark I may agree with, but Blicke I won't. No need for me to go detail-by-detail as to why, as that's been clearly stated in the past. Just about any team that has won something over the last 10-years has had one player who can be relied on to defend teammates. Just pointing that out.
OHLTG

I get what u are saying,though in my view Clark is the better hockey player and I think is tougher too,its his age thats makes him more expendable then Bilcke,if they were the same age,no contest for me,it would be Clark

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:06 PM
  #362
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
OHLTG

I get what u are saying,though in my view Clark is the better hockey player and I think is tougher too,its his age thats makes him more expendable then Bilcke,if they were the same age,no contest for me,it would be Clark
Age certainly played a factor in my post, though I think Bilcke's size plays a bigger part than some wish to believe.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  #363
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 500
Bilcke also attached himself at the hip of Kerby Rychel (and thus Brady Vail) this past off-season. That is job security as well.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
  #364
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Rayzor - Clark I may agree with, but Blicke I won't. No need for me to go detail-by-detail as to why, as that's been clearly stated in the past. Just about any team that has won something over the last 10-years has had one player who can be relied on to defend teammates. Just pointing that out.
Who was that guy for London last year? You can say Rupert but he also had 48 points. The only other guy would have been Flemington and he wore a suit more than he wore a uniform. London was in the middle of the pack in regards to fighting majors, nobody even in the top 20 for fighting majors. Seems to me London didn't feel the need for a Bilcke type player.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
  #365
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Who was that guy for London last year? You can say Rupert but he also had 48 points. The only other guy would have been Flemington and he wore a suit more than he wore a uniform. London was in the middle of the pack in regards to fighting majors, nobody even in the top 20 for fighting majors. Seems to me London didn't feel the need for a Bilcke type player.
They had Flemington, Tinordi, and Colin Martin, all of whom could go just about anyone in the league. Did they see a ton of action? No, but that wasn't the point I was making.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
  #366
spits2timechamps
Registered User
 
spits2timechamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Who was that guy for London last year? You can say Rupert but he also had 48 points. The only other guy would have been Flemington and he wore a suit more than he wore a uniform. London was in the middle of the pack in regards to fighting majors, nobody even in the top 20 for fighting majors. Seems to me London didn't feel the need for a Bilcke type player.
This isn't the same league but I remember a guy named Wayne Gretzky who got traded to LA and requested for a player named Marty McSorley to come with him to LA. Fighters are always going to be valuable in hockey. Just because they don't get the ice time doesn't mean that they are useless. They keep guys like Rinaldo in check and as someone said on here they make everyone else feel like theyre 10 feet tall. Every team in the NHL has a player like this that has been successful and it should be the same for every team in the CHL IMO.

And before anyone says the Red Wings...when was the last time they won the cup?

spits2timechamps is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
  #367
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey43 View Post
Sorry folks - not a lot of teams r going to take the gold Ed pkgs off Windsor hands. The biggest problem is no 19 year old leaders. WR has built the team for next year and with all the 18 yr olds they will be good. Someone said trade kerby. Good idea but obviously won't happen. The prob is that it's like a AAA team with dad coaching and Kerby gets every single important minute. Johnson will never move past him. I make no comments about kerby, but does the team see favoritism? Especially when Warren goes to dressing room between periods and kerby goes to coaches office? As long as kerby is held to a different standard there will be dressing room problems. Another issue is Vail. Terrible teammate and in dressing room. Thinks his **** doesn't stink.Like I said they will be good next year but not mem cup good and the answer is simple, no hall or elliis. You need to draft well, but also be lucky and no one will admit they got lucky with the two best jr A players in Ontario in the same draft.
It's not easy to win - 20 teams r trying
Please elaborate if you could. I'm just curious. Didn't know anything about that.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:25 PM
  #368
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
They had Flemington, Tinordi, and Colin Martin, all of whom could go just about anyone in the league. Did they see a ton of action? No, but that wasn't the point I was making.
Colin Martin was not a fighter at all,while Tinordi who could fight was told he should not after he got beat up by McGuire and has his face smashed in,I would agree in this instance Flemmington was a non factor in Knights run to the mem cup,they seemed to have enough toughness team wise,though not as tough as the Windsor mem cup teams

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
  #369
Libbs
Registered User
 
Libbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Please elaborate if you could. I'm just curious. Didn't know anything about that.
No need...he's making it up.

Libbs is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
  #370
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
No need...he's making it up.
Ah, okay. Thanks. I wondered. I had only heard good things about his attitude up until now.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 02:17 PM
  #371
Libbs
Registered User
 
Libbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Ah, okay. Thanks. I wondered. I had only heard good things about his attitude up until now.
From what I can gather, he's the ultimate team guy. Not from a single person I've talked to associated with the team have I heard anything negative about him or his attitude.

Libbs is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:28 PM
  #372
hockeyboy4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Windsor,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
whats derek schoenmakers attitude like?

hockeyboy4 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:52 PM
  #373
south of the border
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Loss to Plymouth very frustrating but also worth noting, Whalers have 7 93's on roster plus Mahalak. Windsor has Pavs. Big difference and at least part of the problem with team's inconsistency and ability to take over games when needed.
Where are the Spits 93's???

south of the border is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 05:26 PM
  #374
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Colin Martin was not a fighter at all,while Tinordi who could fight was told he should not after he got beat up by McGuire and has his face smashed in,I would agree in this instance Flemmington was a non factor in Knights run to the mem cup,they seemed to have enough toughness team wise,though not as tough as the Windsor mem cup teams
To be fair to Tinordi, McGuire is one of the toughest in the league. Few can tangle with him. The point was Tinordi and Flemington were there if needed, which had to be a boast to the club. I also realize my point was the "usual" and not the rule.

As far as Vail goes...I've talked to him a few times and have never seen anything but positivity from him. Seems like a great team guy.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
  #375
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by south of the border View Post
Loss to Plymouth very frustrating but also worth noting, Whalers have 7 93's on roster plus Mahalak. Windsor has Pavs. Big difference and at least part of the problem with team's inconsistency and ability to take over games when needed.
Where are the Spits 93's???
Plymouth had a terrific 09 draft Meurs, Mahalak, Noesen, Malysa, MacDonald. They also had a year out of JT Miller. They acquired Crombeen via trade and Rakell and Karlsson were import picks. Whaley was acquired from Windsor as well.

Windsor on the other hand had a decent draft when you consider the names they drafted but very little to show for it. Brassard dealt to Belleville helped win them a Memorial Cup so that helped. Trojanovic dealt when he was 17 for Robertson. Duininck dealt for picks. The best pick was Eric Locke but the frustrating part about that is he got dealt for Carnevale who later got dealt to Sarnia for picks where the Spits drafted Hunter Smith.

Overall the Spits haven't drafted well in general since the 08 draft but keep in mind that draft the guys didn't stick around very long. Fowler was a 1 year kid, Watson only 1.5 years and Campbell 1.5 years. The most they got out of that draft class was Posa.

Drafting has to get a lot better but with the lack of picks in 2013 it will probably take 3-4 more years to get back to decent drafting. Windsor sold their soul for 2 Memorial Cups and this is what you get.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.