HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
You severely underrate Reinhart if you think all of those guys could be ahead of him at this point. IMO, Reinhart is arguably the best shut-down defenseman on that list. Murray is probably the only one who is better as far as pure defense goes. The rest of the players on that list are either offensive oriented, or just flat out not on Reinhart's level.

He'll be on the team or he'll be injured. One or the other.
gotta agree with this. Reinhart CLEARLY stands out on the ice and it's NOT just his size. He's got a presence out there, like Pronger has a presence. I know he's not as physical as Pronger and may not be as good as Pronger was (remains to be seen) but this guy will definitely be a top pairing dman on Team Canada and he'll be on the NYI sooner than later.

It was a smart pick and a safe one. I know Morgan Reilly's been really good as well, has some good stats and highlight reel goals but Reinhart will not disappoint and might make the better pro defender. Solid pick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
What I like about Strome, is that he seems to like to throw the body too, saw him hitting the Russians all night, he must be a pain to play against. One minute he's stichandling against you and making nice passes, or scoring on a great shot, the next he's planting your face into the boards.
He's gotten FAR better at playing the boards and taking the body. He started to do this a bit last year but this year (and I've only seen him play 4-5 times) he seems to be a different player. What I noticed most is his willingness/ability to take a hit to make a play. He used to be more of an off-the-rush playmaker with slick passing and stickhandling whereas now he seems to play more of an NHL-style game.

Nice progress from Stromer.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
gotta agree with this. Reinhart CLEARLY stands out on the ice and it's NOT just his size. He's got a presence out there, like Pronger has a presence. I know he's not as physical as Pronger and may not be as good as Pronger was (remains to be seen) but this guy will definitely be a top pairing dman on Team Canada and he'll be on the NYI sooner than later.

It was a smart pick and a safe one. I know Morgan Reilly's been really good as well, has some good stats and highlight reel goals but Reinhart will not disappoint and might make the better pro defender. Solid pick!

He's gotten FAR better at playing the boards and taking the body. He started to do this a bit last year but this year (and I've only seen him play 4-5 times) he seems to be a different player. What I noticed most is his willingness/ability to take a hit to make a play. He used to be more of an off-the-rush playmaker with slick passing and stickhandling whereas now he seems to play more of an NHL-style game.

Nice progress from Stromer.
Agree,no question Strome has gotten stronger though as I posted above, he's not gained a lot of weight. Niagara site lists him at 6"1'192 so the size issue is not a concern since he'll naturally get
a little bigger and another off season working out with Tavaras' trainers.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:12 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
You severely underrate Reinhart if you think all of those guys could be ahead of him at this point. IMO, Reinhart is arguably the best shut-down defenseman on that list. Murray is probably the only one who is better as far as pure defense goes. The rest of the players on that list are either offensive oriented, or just flat out not on Reinhart's level.

He'll be on the team or he'll be injured. One or the other.
for me its hard to say whether to trust hfboards on: "will Reinhart go to the WJC?" or not.

In the prospects board there are plenty of folks giving Reinhart only slim chance at the 7th D man position. I personally dont know half the prospects in the chl, as you cant really watch that from europe.

But all these fans are baised towards their own prospects, be it rielly or murray or whoever. I think key piece is: how does the coach see him? what role can he fulfill in that coaches system? Im sure Reinhart is making a good impression, but finally we will have to wait for the last moment to get any real insight. Right now nothing has been decided yet!

Old
11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
periferal

I thought I'd throw this out there...

I actually don't mind at all that this lockout might cost us the entire NHL season for two main reasons...

1. I honestly think the rags were cup favorites had the season been played.
2. The Isles have made such seriously boneheaded decisions in terms of their prospects in the past few years that I seriously love that no decisions have to be made and guys like Strome, Nino, Donovan, Nelson, Cizikas, and others are being left to develop in minor leagues at the correct pace. Not only that, but other guys like Josh Bailey get to play in lesser leagues while getting their overall game and confidence to a higher level.

The only downside of the lockout is that we would lose guys like Streit, Visnovsky, and Nabokov for nothing. Still I'd trade that for having our prospects more likely to reach their potential by playing outside the NHL for the right amount of time.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Agree,no question Strome has gotten stronger though as I posted above, he's not gained a lot of weight. Niagara site lists him at 6"1'192 so the size issue is not a concern since he'll naturally get
a little bigger and another off season working out with Tavaras' trainers.
He just looks WAY SMALLER than that indicated size and I'm not sure why. I'm thinking he must have really small shoulder pads (like many stick-handling-type players have). OR it's his skating style, being a bit hunched over as he skates maybe.

He looks like a 5'10" - 170lbs type player out there.

Nail Yakupov is listed at 5'11" 190 and he seems far bigger and stronger than Strome does. Yakupov is "thicker" and a much stronger skater (more powerful skater and stronger on the puck) than Strome so maybe it blurs the pure size aspect of their game - I don't know.

If he is in-fact 6'1" and 190 then we have very little to worry about. As you say, with a couple of years worth of skating, strength & conditioning, he'll be a pretty good Islander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

I actually don't mind at all that this lockout might cost us the entire NHL season for two main reasons...

2. The Isles have made such seriously boneheaded decisions in terms of their prospects in the past few years that I seriously love that no decisions have to be made and guys like Strome, Nino, Donovan, Nelson, Cizikas, and others are being left to develop in minor leagues at the correct pace. Not only that, but other guys like Josh Bailey get to play in lesser leagues while getting their overall game and confidence to a higher level.

The only downside of the lockout is that we would lose guys like Streit, Visnovsky, and Nabokov for nothing. Still I'd trade that for having our prospects more likely to reach their potential by playing outside the NHL for the right amount of time.
Gotta agree with this. And too bad deHaan and Kabanov are hurt for extended periods, they could really use the extra ice time.

On Bailey, he's going to tear up that league. I would have liked to see him in the AHL because I think he'd dominate that league as well, not to mention develop some good chemistry with Niederreiter, Nelson, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Donovan, etc.

But I believe he cannot play there because he wouldn't be waiver exempt (though I find that odd since there's no CBA - isn't it like "international waters" where no rules apply?)

Last edited by redbull: 11-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Great to see some of our young prospects progressing so well thus far. I'm very exciting about how Strome is playing. He's been a factor in pressure games and big stage games for his level and coming thru when it counts. That's great to see....

Also, doesn't mean too much really at this ponit but Strome is currently leading the OHL in points thus far. Keep it up kid!!

Old
11-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Degeneration Rex

Games on TV

Tonight and Thursday night, NHL Network, 10PM-Subway Superseries, Russia vs WHL

Thursday, 7:30 PM CBS Sports Network
College-Notre Dame (Lee, Russo) at Michigan.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
So who do we have at WJCs?

Lock - Strome, Pokka, Reinhart
Maybe - Russo, Pedan

Anyone that I missed?
I dunno if Reinhart is a lock. Stiff competition on that Canadian blueline.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I dunno if Reinhart is a lock. Stiff competition on that Canadian blueline.
I'd say he's a lock. Unique combo of size, skill, defensively strong and a great puck-mover.

Though R.Murray, D.Hamilton will probably be the top two, Reinhart is right there. Harrington, Reilly, R.Murphy, Ouelet, Dumba and a few others.

Last edited by redbull: 11-14-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 09:05 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

I'll be surprised if Streit leaves. I could maybe see Nabokov signing on for another year. But yes, Visnovsky is all but gone, IMO. Unfortunate that we lost a 2nd for basically nothing, but oh well... At least our system is deep enough that losing a 2nd shouldn't hurt too bad.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Degeneration Rex

Wednesday

Cape Breton 5, Prince Edward Island 3-Leduc, -1.
Niagara 5, Erie 2-Strome 1 goal (15), 1 assist, + 2, Theoret, 1 goal (9), +2, Graham, -1, Pelech -2.
Belleville 2, Guelph 1 (SO)-Pedan, 1 goal (7), E.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-14-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Strome has scored in six straight, averaging 3pts per game (6-12-18pts) and now has a 4pt lead in the OHL scoring race with 39 pts in 22 games. Quite a streak the kid is on. I expect him to slow down a bit, eventually, but nice to see.

Reinhart playing in the Subway Series tonight, playing well, not outstanding but doesn't project to be that type of player.

Ryan Murray is really good.

Morgan Rielly reminds me of Brian Leetch. Outstanding skater, puck-handler, very shifty, high-risk player - very talented.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:39 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Strome has scored in six straight, averaging 3pts per game (6-12-18pts) and now has a 4pt lead in the OHL scoring race with 39 pts in 22 games. Quite a streak the kid is on. I expect him to slow down a bit, eventually, but nice to see.

Reinhart playing in the Subway Series tonight, playing well, not outstanding but doesn't project to be that type of player.

Morgan Rielly reminds me of Brian Leetch. Outstanding skater, puck-handler, very shifty, high-risk player - very talented.
the best word i can think of when watching reinhart play is "efficient". like you said, doesn't really stand out or does anything flashy, but very few scoring chances for russia when he's on the ice.
his defensive game is really solid, but i'm hoping he stays in the whl next year to develop his offensive game.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:39 PM
scott99

Quote:

I kinda had a sinking feeling in my stomach when the Leafs snatched up Rielly immediately after we picked Reinhart. I'm hoping this doesn't become Niedermayer/Lachance all over again.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM
StumpNYI

Reinhart is solid. Someone here said he has a Pronger-like presence and I can see it. Shows no panic at all in his game. Barely looks like he has to try because he is always in the face of who ever he is defending. He looks big too.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
also, anyone else think reinhart looks a bit clumsy when playing the body? he went down at least twice so far when initiating contact.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:50 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
I kinda had a sinking feeling in my stomach when the Leafs snatched up Rielly immediately after we picked Reinhart. I'm hoping this doesn't become Niedermayer/Lachance all over again.
He looks good. Always creating offense. But out of Dumba, Reinhart, and Murray, he is the worst defensively so far this game. That is most likely due to his high-risk play. Luckily his speed helps him with that. Regardless, he deserves where he got picked because he has the skills you cannot learn. Very fun to watch Rielly.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:50 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Islanders luck, he would have already had a second knee operation and a separated shoulder. We already have deHaan!

Rielly is a more exciting player with more offensive upside but I think Reinhart has a much higher upside than what we are seeing. He's tall but isn't close to reaching his man-strength. He skates okay but if he can improve his footwork AND get stronger he can be something special.

Truly is hard to project what these players MIGHT be in 4-5 years, scouts really do have it tough. Brock Nelson was just a tall skinny kid when he was drafted. Calvin deHaan looked like he was a skinny 14 year old kid.

I find it difficult to be too upset about Reinhart though. Reinhart is still a kid and he's already a really good hockey player with a lot of room before he reaches his upside. It was a smart pick.

Rielly may be a great pro as well, but Reinhart will help the NYI.

Last edited by redbull: 11-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
also, anyone else think reinhart looks a bit clumsy when playing the body? he went down at least twice so far when initiating contact.
totally does. Combination of being tall and skinny (no man-strength) and his skating needs work. He's pretty raw, even though he's a big body.

What I like about his game is how he keeps his head up all the time, especially defensively. As the Russians carry the puck in the zone, Reinhart is scanning the ice and seems to be in position to make a play all the time. He often opts for the safe play, the smart play. He uses his body well but seems to lack strength on his feet.

Contrast that to Ryan Murray who seems to have all his man-strength. Very low centre of gravity, seemingly solid lower body, kind of a bull-dog out there.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:04 PM
kuwo

I can't help myself, but Reinhart has showed me everything that I want in an effective defenseman so far (except the early penalty of course). Size and willingnes to hit, defensive awareness and stickwork, (in my opinion) excelent outlets and passing. So much potential, but I also hope he will be allowed to develop his offensive game by staying in WHL for one more year.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:11 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
totally does. Combination of being tall and skinny (no man-strength) and his skating needs work. He's pretty raw, even though he's a big body.

What I like about his game is how he keeps his head up all the time, especially defensively. As the Russians carry the puck in the zone, Reinhart is scanning the ice and seems to be in position to make a play all the time. He often opts for the safe play, the smart play. He uses his body well but seems to lack strength on his feet.

Contrast that to Ryan Murray who seems to have all his man-strength. Very low centre of gravity, seemingly solid lower body, kind of a bull-dog out there.
I think that is nitpicking him a bit. I saw the falls but I would just call them early jitters. He seemed to need to adjust to the speed of the Russian forwards. Has been on point since imo. Doesn't look easy to knock him off the puck or shake him up at all.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Degeneration Rex

One thing for sure, the opposition rarely scores when Reinhart is out there defending.
He can expand his game later on when the body and skating catch up.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:53 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I think that is nitpicking him a bit. I saw the falls but I would just call them early jitters. He seemed to need to adjust to the speed of the Russian forwards. Has been on point since imo. Doesn't look easy to knock him off the puck or shake him up at all.
DEFINITELY nitpicking.

This is a very good hockey player. But he WILL need to improve his skating and strength for the NHL. He's playing against teenagers now, and he IS a teenager.

As Isles fans, we need to care about how he'll play against angry men.

I thought Reinhart got better as the game went on. Good sign.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I'd say he's a lock. Unique combo of size, skill, defensively strong and a great puck-mover.

Though R.Murray, D.Hamilton will probably be the top two, Reinhart is right there. Harrington, Reilly, R.Murphy, Ouelet, Dumba and a few others.
Well, I certainly hope he IS there!

Old
11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
I hope it does. In that scenario, the defenseman picked first turned out to be the HOFer.

Closed Thread