HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
D'Antoni? Does he like the dump and chase, or does he prefer them to carry it over the line?
Think of the Doughty goal in game 2 and the Kopitar goal in game 3 and you get a pretty good idea what D'Antoni brings to the table, offensively.

However, he better bring in Nate McMillan to coach the defense or the Lakers are going to resemble the Ducks defense last season.

/hockey analogy complete

11-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Bleh, doesn't sound good. Management better hope D'Antoni wins this year. Phil Jackson chimes in on what happened:

Quote:
"Saturday morning, [Lakers executive] Jim Buss called to ask if he could come and visit. I didn't solicit or ask for the opportunity but I welcomed both him and [team executive] Mitch Kupchak into my home to discuss the possibility of my return to the Lakers as head coach," Jackson said.
"We talked for over an hour and a half. No contractual terms were discussed and we concluded with a handshake and an understanding that I would have until Monday [today] to come back to them with my decision. I did convey to them that I did have the confidence that I could do the job. I was awakened at midnight Sunday by a phone call from Mitch Kupchak. He told me that the Lakers had signed Mike D'Antoni to a three-year agreement and that they felt he was the best coach for the team. The decision is of course theirs to make. I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker fans who encouraged my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility." [...]
Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, added that media coverage portraying Jackson as being full of demands was inaccurate.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...0682--nba.html

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
11-12-2012, 10:29 PM
bobafettish*

even if those demand rumors were true, phil jackson is still infinite times better than d'antoni.

mike brown 2.0 here we come.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:58 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Should be no surprise about the groundswell of support for Phil. He did win what...5 titles here in LA in the last decade or so?

Old
11-13-2012, 12:54 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Bleh, doesn't sound good. Management better hope D'Antoni wins this year. Phil Jackson chimes in on what happened:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...0682--nba.html
Buss continues to be a PR nightmare. This was done only because Buss fears losing power.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
no name

So there have been some rumors on satelite radio that Buss made this move drunk. According to friends he was heavily intoxicated and talking irratic, then the next morning they hear that a decision and contract had been established by the time they woke up.

This coinsides with both Phil Jackson and D'Antoni being shocked and taken off guard with Buss's decision.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

What kind of contract are you expecting Ryu will receive? Man, I hope it's less than 6 years.

I'm really hungry for a WS championship. Knowing the Giants now have 7 championships while we've been stuck with 6 for 24 years now is irritating.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
no name

I estimate a 5 to 6 million per year over 4 years.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Just read this post.

I agree with you regarding the access to DS. What are the chances the new ownership negotiates with MTA to build a rail access to the stadium? That'd be ****ing sweet. I mean, the Dodger Express bus is nice, but the bus still has to share the streets with the LA traffic and beat it. Some people are just not willing to pay for overpriced parking (like me).

The Blue Line has helped Staples Center's attendance grow.
Maybe 10 years ago (pre-McCourt), a ex-coworker worked at an arch/eng firm and they did a feasability study to build light rail up to the stadium.

Results were that it's too steep of a hill to get light rail up there. Oh well.

Remember a few months ago there was the article that Arte Moreno was looking to possibly build a new Angels Stadium in downtown L.A.? Well, why couldn't the Dodgers do that? Build a new Dodger Stadium somewhere near Staples Center or Union Station and/or light rail station. I have realized that up on the hill is not a good location at all - it's way too isolated. Bring the Dodgers down to L.A. to become part of the city.

Turn Chavez Ravine back into housing, like it used to be. (did I just say that?)

Old
11-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
What a load of crap.

Angels' Flight is less than a mile away. They couldn't do that, adding on to the last light-rail station?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
What kind of contract are you expecting Ryu will receive? Man, I hope it's less than 6 years.

I'm really hungry for a WS championship. Knowing the Giants now have 7 championships while we've been stuck with 6 for 24 years now is irritating.
My money is on Toronto after they stole Miami. Any chance the tax payers sue the Marlins owner? Seems like fraud to me, build a stadium, bring in high profile players, a high profile coach and by the next season they have a minor league team again and poor Giancarlo Stanton all by his lonesome.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
My money is on Toronto after they stole Miami. Any chance the tax payers sue the Marlins owner? Seems like fraud to me, build a stadium, bring in high profile players, a high profile coach and by the next season they have a minor league team again and poor Giancarlo Stanton all by his lonesome.
You bring up some good points, but what does your reply have to do with my post?

BTW, the Dodger Stadium renovations include HD scoreboards. The Left Field screen will no longer look like an iPhone. Both boards might have the same shape:

Old
11-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
You bring up some good points, but what does your reply have to do with my post?

BTW, the Dodger Stadium renovations include HD scoreboards. The Left Field screen will no longer look like an iPhone. Both boards might have the same shape:

That shot of Dodgers Stadium reminds me... I must kill the queen...

Old
11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Maybe 10 years ago (pre-McCourt), a ex-coworker worked at an arch/eng firm and they did a feasability study to build light rail up to the stadium.

Remember a few months ago there was the article that Arte Moreno was looking to possibly build a new Angels Stadium in downtown L.A.? Well, why couldn't the Dodgers do that? Build a new Dodger Stadium somewhere near Staples Center or Union Station and/or light rail station. I have realized that up on the hill is not a good location at all - it's way too isolated. Bring the Dodgers down to L.A. to become part of the city.

Turn Chavez Ravine back into housing, like it used to be. (did I just say that?)
Yeah, they can start by tearing down that piece of **** that is the Coliseum and plop it right over there. Or they could knock down some of the other many dilipated buildings and DTLA and gentrify it like AEG has done with STaples/LA Live. People bring up traffic issues in DTLA as if Dodger Stadium is currently in the boondocks. It is right smack in the middle of some major freeway interchanges.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
What a load of crap.

Angels' Flight is less than a mile away. They couldn't do that, adding on to the last light-rail station?
Angel's Flight goes less than 100 yards up a steep hill with no physical barriers in the way. DS is maybe 2 miles from LAUS, over many streets, buildings and houses, and the 110 fwy. Then there's the long steep hill. I think it's steeper than Angel's Flight.

I don't know the answer - maybe they tunnel throught the hill and surface near the top of the stadium? ($$$$) hmm, or in the parking lot behind the RF pavilion?

Maybe build one of those large gondolas like in NYC. Have a capacity of 400 per trip from LAUS to DS...? But the cost of that would be huge, especially considering seismic design, and the fact it would only be used when there's a Dodger game. Oh yeah, that.

Move DS down the hill and into LA.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I don't know why people cling to Dodger Stadium so much. I'm not a fan of it at all. Last time I was there I couldn't even fit my knees in the seats. They were jammed up against the seat in front of me and I'm only 6 ft tall. Angel Stadium used to seem all old and run down in the 90's and they really fixed it up. Renovating Dodger stadium is like polishing a turd.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

You brought up world series, I don't think the Dodgers are close right now. If they can get Greinke I think they are legit contenders but Hunter to Detroit is solid along with Victor Martinez coming back, you still have the Giants, there are a lot of good baseball teams out there. Not sure signing Ryu is a key to winning a ring.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Clippers - Heat game very entertaining...a bit of playoff intensity, if you can say that this early in the season.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Hockey what? These Clippers games have been incredibly exciting honestly.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Hockey what? These Clippers games have been incredibly exciting honestly.
In their first eight games, they have beaten the Grizzlies, the Lakers, the Spurs, and the Heat.

Incredibly impressive. While the Lakers lead the headlines in drama, the Clippers are the better basketball team in L.A.

So far, anyway. But they have the talent and the capability to pull a Kings.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

The real test starts this weekend. Road games against Chicago, OKC, and San Antonio.

EDIT: The Chicago game is at home. The 6pm start confused me, thinking it was a road game. Apparently, the original 12:30 start was no longer needed since the Kings' game against Tampa Bay is cancelled. I had to be reminded of the damn lockout.

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 11-15-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
You brought up world series, I don't think the Dodgers are close right now. If they can get Greinke I think they are legit contenders but Hunter to Detroit is solid along with Victor Martinez coming back, you still have the Giants, there are a lot of good baseball teams out there. Not sure signing Ryu is a key to winning a ring.
Adding Carl Crawford to last season's team is a huge bonus.

Seriously if they can get any decent pitcher, they'll be a contender for sure.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:05 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I don't know why people cling to Dodger Stadium so much. I'm not a fan of it at all. Last time I was there I couldn't even fit my knees in the seats. They were jammed up against the seat in front of me and I'm only 6 ft tall. Angel Stadium used to seem all old and run down in the 90's and they really fixed it up. Renovating Dodger stadium is like polishing a turd.
I love DS for the nostalgia. I love the symmetry of the stadium, the sightlines and the views.

However, I recognize what a new ballpark could do for the team and the fanbase *if it is done well*.

Keep in mind the huge increase in ticket prices that come with it (see: AT&T Park).

Old
11-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Adding Carl Crawford to last season's team is a huge bonus.

Seriously if they can get any decent pitcher, they'll be a contender for sure.

It's too bad Jake Peavy signed an extension with the Red Sox right after the regular season. He would've been cheaper than Sanchez and Greinke. Plus, he is a beast in the NL West especially at DS.

By cheap, I mean, the length of the contract. Peavy's 2-year deal is worth $29 million.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The real test starts this weekend. Road games against Chicago, OKC, and San Antonio.

EDIT: The Chicago game is at home. The 6pm start confused me, thinking it was a road game. Apparently, the original 12:30 start was no longer needed since the Kings' game against Tampa Bay is cancelled. I had to be reminded of the damn lockout.
Chicago will be a real test, home court or not. Stingiest defense in the NBA.

Closed Thread