HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who will be the better pro....?

Old
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
Who will be the better pro....?

William Nylander Altelius (some put it William Altelius Nylander)---Michael Nylander's son (2014)

OR

Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (2015) ?

Swedish observers..opine away...

Also --who will Nylander Altelius play for for world jrs. when ready ?

Born in Canada
Has both Swedish and US nationality eligibility for hockey? Can he choose any of the 3 counties or just between Sweden and USA?

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:42 PM
joe89

"I only want to play for Sweden, nothing else is on the table" he said in this interview five days ago: http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...ation-nylander

Swedish federation has asked the IIHF to make him an exemption so that he can play the upcoming WJC-18 in the spring. He's not yet qualified to play in IIHF competition because of the two year rule - but he will be after this season.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:03 PM
TS Quint

I got to go to Sweeden. There is not a more patriotic group of people.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I've been there twice, since my dad is from Hindas, and at least from what I've seen, this is very true. They're a very proud country and the people were extremely friendly and fun to be around. Though I did go during the summer...I've heard they become a bit more distant and cold as during winter .

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
joe89

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Strokes View Post
I've been there twice, since my dad is from Hindas, and at least from what I've seen, this is very true. They're a very proud country and the people were extremely friendly and fun to be around. Though I did go during the summer...I've heard they become a bit more distant and cold as during winter .
Really? I'd say Sweden's one of the least patriotic countries in Europe, and I'm pretty sure have been on several lists of that type. But that's discussion for another thread.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:48 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
The ********** isn't our fault. Being patriotic is seen as racism in Sweden. I've heard immigrants say Sweden is the least nationalistic country there is more than a few times.

Although; http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/li...ht-for-country

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
TS Quint

I guess I take my impression from a small group of hockey players who always go back to Sweden for the Summer and after their careers. They all seem to want to have their children grow up there. There's nothing boastful like Americans screaming at the top of their lungs how their country is the best, its more in the actions. Not that I see anything wrong with how loud and proud Americans are, some people get a little annoyed by it but I think its great. Or maybe its more about how they feel about the North American lifesyle.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

So can someone give some info on style of play, projections, etc.?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
So can someone give some info on style of play, projections, etc.?
Nylander is fairly similar to his father. Not the biggest guy, in love with the puck, good hands and a slick playmaker. Great wheels. Just an offensively really talented guy. I mean, the guy leads the Swedish top junior league in scoring at 16. But he's got some things to improve, like using his teammates better and go with the easier pass from time to time. And getting stronger, of course. He's the top Swede for the 2014 draft right now.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Really? I'd say Sweden's one of the least patriotic countries in Europe, and I'm pretty sure have been on several lists of that type. But that's discussion for another thread.
IT was more a feeling that the people are proud of their country and proud to be Swedish, not necessarily a gung-ho GO SWEDEN we're the best vibe, that people associate with patriotism. Being from the States, California especially, most of what I see are immigrants who are more proud of their heritage than the country they live in, so maybe I'm just jaded by the melting pot that is California.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:35 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Don't come here in the winter!
Seriously, it's depressing.

To add to the thread: really excited about Nylander. Hopefully he will make is debut for the senior team soon.
Never heard of Karlsson tbh.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Best way to make people freindly is to say something flattering about Sweden or famous swedish people. You could give P. Forsberg some praise or something like that. Would work both summer and winter

Never heard about this Karlsson guy, but if he's comparable to Nylander Jr I should keep an eye on him.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
IT was more a feeling that the people are proud of their country and proud to be Swedish, not necessarily a gung-ho GO SWEDEN we're the best vibe, that people associate with patriotism. Being from the States, California especially, most of what I see are immigrants who are more proud of their heritage than the country they live in, so maybe I'm just jaded by the melting pot that is California.
I think the common Swedish guy is just as patriotic as any nationality. Specially when it comes to sports. I think many people see an opportunity to sport swedish flags etc during sporting events. Waving flags without some guys chasing a ball/puck/whatever in front, is apparently seen as xhenophobic by some silly people.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
I guess I take my impression from a small group of hockey players who always go back to Sweden for the Summer and after their careers. They all seem to want to have their children grow up there. There's nothing boastful like Americans screaming at the top of their lungs how their country is the best, its more in the actions. Not that I see anything wrong with how loud and proud Americans are, some people get a little annoyed by it but I think its great. Or maybe its more about how they feel about the North American lifesyle.
Well, I am pretty sure that NA-cans playing in Europe also take thier chances to go back to america during the off season, after all there is families and old friends to visit. I dont think that you need to be very patrotic to get a bit home sick from time to time when playing abroad. I mean there is always stuff to miss when you not at home, there is always stuff (like food/enviroment etc), that is unique to your home country. And its not like that its impossible to find decent schools and stuff like that in Sweden. A lot of old retired NHL'ers also got a good chance to get an occupation within Swedish hockey or media covering hockey.