HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hockey At 9:35AM? Western Conference Finals Rematch Marlies @ Barons 11/13 9:35AM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Apparently you never noticed what an amazing PP at the NHL level did for them last year.

They need to learn to play defense if they want to compete at the NHL level.
Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
The teams are not the same. Players like Teubert and Plante are eating top minutes. If they're not getting beat on the rush, taking a call to compensate for their foot speed they couldn't even clear the net on two obvious missed assignments in the first that caused goals. All the players that belong in the AHL at best are under performing. These prospects shouldn't be so indicative of our current NHL team currently. The top lines ES play led to PP goals. It's only common sense.
Well at the NHL level they will be surrounded by underperforming veterans.

So if they want to win hockey games it looks like they will ahve to learn all facets of the game.

I mean sorry to complain as it is finally nice to see some natural scoring talent on this team for once and not just pluggers and grinder put on the 1st and 2nd line due to no better options. I'm just saying that it is no secret that these players need some work on their defensive games. Even RNH was making many very good defensive plays with his speed and stick early last season but then it went away and I haven't seen him do much with his stick defensively since last December.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It baffles me how many times people include the "q," it doesn't make any sense.
It's pretty incredible, some players just constantly have their names spelled wrong... But really, spelling the players name correctly is the first step in having a valid argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
HAHAHA, I laughed way to hard at this.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Apparently you never noticed what an amazing PP at the NHL level did for them last year.

They need to learn to play defense if they want to compete at the NHL level.
sure, I don't argue. however a great pp is a huge asset. people don't even realize. If your pp is great it forces a team to give you more space. Offence comes from a great pp.

I get it nuge, hall, ebs have improvments to make. however, to say they haven't showed any thing? thats nuts. they have looked dam good. 123 in the AHL in scoring, what do you want?

Old
11-13-2012, 01:50 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Who the hell is Sequin?!!?!!
Autocorrect

Old
11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
sure, I don't argue. however a great pp is a huge asset. people don't even realize. If your pp is great it forces a team to give you more space. Offence comes from a great pp.

I get it nuge, hall, ebs have improvments to make. however, to say they haven't showed any thing? thats nuts. they have looked dam good. 123 in the AHL in scoring, what do you want?
Them to be part of a winning team.

Also never said they haven't shown anything just said yeah they look great offensively on the PP, that's just one mere aspect of the entire game.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Them to be part of a winning team.

Also never said they haven't shown anything just said yeah they look great offensively on the PP, that's just one mere aspect of the entire game.
Fine but it is a big asspect and they haven't looked bad defensivly. Bottom line it is the other players getting scored against. Not the big 4. So ya, they have improvments to make, but bottom line they are not responsible for how poor this team has looked.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Fine but it is a big asspect and they haven't looked bad defensivly. Bottom line it is the other players getting scored against. Not the big 4. So ya, they have improvments to make, but bottom line they are not responsible for how poor this team has looked.
The Big 4 were pretty bad defensively early on.(Ok maybe Roy wasn't that good but still) They were on for 3 of the first period even strength goals against.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:06 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
The Big 4 were pretty bad defensively early on.(Ok maybe Roy wasn't that good but still) They were on for 3 of the first period even strength goals against.
sure, they sucked today. I have no problem admitting that. Still they are plus for the season. So it isn't like they have sucked EV all year.

I admit they have work to do, but I don't think people realize how great it is to realize we are going to have a dam good PP.

That kills teams night in and night out.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
alanschu

What do any coaches teach any player at this level (AHL and NHL)?

I'm not being facetious in asking this question.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:30 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Wow they need to be better defensively as a squad, but let's be honest these kids are getting worse goaltending in the AHL than they got in the NHL. ****ing pathetic.
Doesn't that make sense?

Old
11-13-2012, 02:31 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Doesn't that make sense?
ya, but worse relative to the league. However, shold be noted that Dubnyk has actually been good 2 years in a row.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Is that why they are all -2?
I missed the games 1st goal, so maybe they screwed the pooch on it, but they were starting to create chances when I made the post that you were laughing at. They are starting to hit their strides a bit more and were starting to look head and shoulders above the competition at that point. I caught their 1st goal on the PP but had to leave and missed the rest, but it sure sounds like they got some things done as the game went on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Says a lot about you that you would consider that valid considering there is a lockout.
Different leagues/different levels of competition = a bet that only a lawyer or someone that knows that they'd lose the bet under the circumstances that they were assumed to have been playing under would hold someone to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Nitpicking a bit, but they were on for 2 ES GA.

11-13-2012, 02:38 PM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I recognize him now. Thanks UC!

Old
11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

IMO the teams defense is far too slow, Yeo who was on our club last year would skate circles around all of our D not named Justin or Martin. Fedun likely lost at least a step from his femur injury last year, Plante has always been sllllllooooooooowwwwwwww, and maybe it's just me but IMO it looks like Teubert has lost some speed. When Henry and Zahn are your 3rd and 4th fastest D, you have a problem.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO the teams defense is far too slow, Yeo who was on our club last year would skate circles around all of our D not named Justin or Martin. Fedun likely lost at least a step from his femur injury last year, Plante has always been sllllllooooooooowwwwwwww, and maybe it's just me but IMO it looks like Teubert has lost some speed. When Henry and Zahn are your 3rd and 4th fastest D, you have a problem.
Good observation. Kind of like the Oilers defense last year. Whitney was just brutal

Old
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
What do any coaches teach any player at this level (AHL and NHL)?

I'm not being facetious in asking this question.
I would say most players learn more about the system side of the game in their first year or two in the pro's then they did the other 12 years they had been playing hockey. A lot of guys get to the pro's on pure athletic ability and skill, very few young kids are thinking players.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Good observation. Kind of like the Oilers defense last year. Whitney was just brutal
We rarely win races to the puck in the d zone and lose at least 3-4 potential icing calls a game due to us having sloths on the blueline. It's like having Cory Cross, Jason Strudwick, and Scott Ferguson on your blueline in the NHL, it's flat out going to be ugly. Davidson is mobile, but unfortunately he has bigger fish to fry than hockey right now.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I would say most players learn more about the system side of the game in their first year or two in the pro's then they did the other 12 years they had been playing hockey. A lot of guys get to the pro's on pure athletic ability and skill, very few young kids are thinking players.
I would agree. It seems like that sort of teaching is going to be somewhat transcendent of the league, not dependent on it.

It doesn't seem like the AHL is a league that someone can get by on pure athletic ability and raw skill.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

I didn't catch the game but safe to say it looks like more of the same, these guys can't play a 60 minute game.

Trying to look on the bright side; if "the big 4" were playing in Edmonton this year, I imagine we'd see much of the same if not worse. So, this time in OKC under Todd Nelson is, in my view, a great opportunity to learn how to play a solid 60 minute game. They've got to completely rid themselves of the laziness demons that would see them take for granted any portion of the game.

Given that it's the AHL, when they're putting in 60 minute efforts each game, the team should be relatively unbeatable. Save for maybe the Roy factor.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Did the Nordic line create any chances in the 3rd? How was Marincin in the 3rd?

Old
11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I didn't catch the game but safe to say it looks like more of the same, these guys can't play a 60 minute game.

Trying to look on the bright side; if "the big 4" were playing in Edmonton this year, I imagine we'd see much of the same if not worse. So, this time in OKC under Todd Nelson is, in my view, a great opportunity to learn how to play a solid 60 minute game. They've got to completely rid themselves of the laziness demons that would see them take for granted any portion of the game.

Given that it's the AHL, when they're putting in 60 minute efforts each game, the team should be relatively unbeatable. Save for maybe the Roy factor.
If "the big 4" were playing in Edmonton this year they'd still be getting soft minutes under NHL veterans, who people here would be blaming instead, along with the coach for not giving the kids enough minutes.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Dabomb

So Eberle has now moved to second in AHL scoring leaders, just behind Schultz. RNH is now in the top 10 in scoring too.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I dont get the Seguin bejewelled blitz jokes

Old
11-13-2012, 03:29 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I dont get the Seguin bejewelled blitz jokes
Because people call him Tyler Sequin all the time. A sequin are those flashy little plastic gems that used to be all over dresses in the 80's. Maybe you's just a little young to catch the joke.

Closed Thread