HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 04:03 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
You're tempering your expectations too much with this comment.
I don't think I am, it is extremely probable that any 18 year doesn't reach their ceiling.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
If you've watched Schenn play, he did have two good seasons and has been one of the top defensemen/top defenseman in hits in multiple seasons. Still erasing people.
Not sure how many times this I or someone else brought this up when Schenn was here but...it's easy to pump up your hit totals when you're hitting the guy 10-15 ft away from where the puck actually is. He's good at finishing his check, only problem is the guy he hits already made a pass or put it along the boards keeping the play alive. His mobility is a huge problem and it showed a lot.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Not sure how many times this I or someone else brought this up when Schenn was here but...it's easy to pump up your hit totals when you're hitting the guy 10-15 ft away from where the puck actually is. He's good at finishing his check, only problem is the guy he hits already made a pass or put it along the boards keeping the play alive. His mobility is a huge problem and it showed a lot.
His mobility was bad, but you can't take away from the hit totals.
We will miss that, I really liked Schenn and I think he will turn it around, but won't be a 1-2# d-man.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
This is something I always noticed as well. Sure, he wore down the opposition but he rarely made hits that took a guy off the puck.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Quote:
This is something I always noticed as well. Sure, he wore down the opposition but he rarely made hits that took a guy off the puck.
Not sure I really agree with that, he was great at separating guys from the puck and making smart hits IMO. I thought he was a fantastic hitter, smart AND effective, he just wasn't very good at anything else. He was mediocre defensively other than his physicality, mistake prone in general, and offered very little offensively, but I certainly wouldn't question his hitting/physicality.

Good bottom pairing dman, with the upside to become a solid 2nd pairing dman, just not a tonne of upside. I think we got a higher upside player back in JVR, though he obviously has work to do too. One "project" type youngster for another.

Edit: heh, just realized this was a Morgan Rielly thread, we're definitely getting a bit off track here!

Old
11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Now I dont think Rielly is another Luke Schenn, but I'm sure everyone including yourself remembers hearing about his elite defensive skill and play in his own zone, coupled with his physicality. He then had a good world junior and the hype increased.

Schenn was hyped, dont pretend he wasnt. He was the next Adam Foote in most leaf fans eyes.
I still think he can be. Especially if he can improve his mobility. That JVR trade could go either way very easily.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:21 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Saw him play last week. Can't say much that hasn't already been said here. All I can say is this kid is going to be on a lot of TSN Top 10's and Highlight of the Nights. Potential to make an incredible play every single shift.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Edbleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
That's right.

People here are very aware of the past two "top picks" the Leafs made though, and most of the Leafs board was pimping them (Schenn, Kadri) out just as much as they are with Rielly right now. It's still fresh in their memories, I think they are annoyed by the hype machine (I know I get annoyed).

I've heard Leafs fans say Gardiner is clearly better than Subban. I've heard the same fans say at the beginning of last season Riemer was potentially to be as good as Carey Price in 2011-12 (I mean... WTF?). A lot of Habs fans are simply annoyed by the backtracking by some of your board as well regarding the whole Rielly v. Galchenyuk, when it was clear on draft day the vast majority of your board wanted Galchenyuk and now all of a sudden a good portion (not all) think they got a better player, and a player that couldve went "1st overall". It's the revisionist history being made by Leafs fans that annoys the hell out of most people when it comes to Rielly. And for arguments sake I'm not saying the Habs definitely got the better player on draft day, that's not something that can be determined so early on, which is again something that some posters on your board got excited by. Rielly went on a tear and Gally was slow out the gate, now the roles are reversed and it's pretty quiet over there?

For what it's worth, I'm a Rielly-fan and I would have been content getting Rielly at #3. But I am even more so content we got Gally. So Cheers to both teams getting great prospects this past June.
oh really i never heard anyone said gardiner is better then subban
btw subban is a hall of famer to habs fans

Old
11-13-2012, 11:14 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Saw him play last week. Can't say much that hasn't already been said here. All I can say is this kid is going to be on a lot of TSN Top 10's and Highlight of the Nights. Potential to make an incredible play every single shift.
Hopefully he brings it against Russia in the Super Series. He's been a stud for Moose Jaw so far

Old
11-13-2012, 11:20 PM
puckfan13

Might be an adjustment for him the first game. He is used to having to do everything out there for his squad right now. From taking it behind his net to creating the shot on the other goalie all by himself at times, actually a lot of times. I have a lot of trust in his playmaking abilities, but it will be interesting to see how he plays with other truly dynamic players and if he can adapt his game to not doing everything by himself.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Get ready people, he will stand out big time tonight in the Super Series. Not the boldest of predictions but I will still throw it out there.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Get ready people, he will stand out big time tonight in the Super Series. Not the boldest of predictions but I will still throw it out there.
can't wait! it will be gold.

11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
Hope he does, I'm going to the game

Old
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
WHL's defence looks really good on paper. I think they are gonna give Yak and co a tough time

Old
11-14-2012, 01:00 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
That's right.

People here are very aware of the past two "top picks" the Leafs made though, and most of the Leafs board was pimping them (Schenn, Kadri) out just as much as they are with Rielly right now. It's still fresh in their memories, I think they are annoyed by the hype machine (I know I get annoyed).

I've heard Leafs fans say Gardiner is clearly better than Subban. I've heard the same fans say at the beginning of last season Riemer was potentially to be as good as Carey Price in 2011-12 (I mean... WTF?). A lot of Habs fans are simply annoyed by the backtracking by some of your board as well regarding the whole Rielly v. Galchenyuk, when it was clear on draft day the vast majority of your board wanted Galchenyuk and now all of a sudden a good portion (not all) think they got a better player, and a player that couldve went "1st overall". It's the revisionist history being made by Leafs fans that annoys the hell out of most people when it comes to Rielly. And for arguments sake I'm not saying the Habs definitely got the better player on draft day, that's not something that can be determined so early on, which is again something that some posters on your board got excited by. Rielly went on a tear and Gally was slow out the gate, now the roles are reversed and it's pretty quiet over there?

For what it's worth, I'm a Rielly-fan and I would have been content getting Rielly at #3. But I am even more so content we got Gally. So Cheers to both teams getting great prospects this past June.
I honestly call bull**** on that. I get what you're saying about the hype machine, but I think you're seriously overstating it. The Leafs probably have it more than other fan bases, but it exists almost as much in every other fanbase. Usually those types of comments are never actually made and simply exist as something to show how foolish Leaf fans are, or are from comments that have been warped into something they never were in the first place.

I'd bet heavily that someone compared Gardiner and Subban's numbers last year to try and show why Subban might not be the amazing player he's made out to be by Hab fans (hype machine that exists in every fan base that I was talking about earlier...) and that the Reimer comment was never said by a Leaf fan, but said in jest by another fan as hyperbole.

Now I get the revisionist history argument you're making. It's annoying. But from all accounts, Burke and Co actually did have a pretty big love of Rielly going on before the draft and really did value him higher than most (I expect the "we would've taken him first" was a comment done for the fans, and not a true statement). Burke's comment on "positional over BPA" actually could suggest he was interested in a center (a need) over the BPA. The only center's that high were Grigorenko and Gally. It could very well be theorized that the Leafs did think Rielly was the best of the bunch, or maybe they only thought Grigorenko would fall to them and they thought Rielly was better. There are real reasons for some of this pimping and it's not simply the hype factor that exists in every franchise. If you believe first hand accounts, they were interested in him for quite a while (personally, I know his Aunt and she's mentioned the Leafs showed interest in him early on).

Old
11-14-2012, 02:23 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Hope he does, I'm going to the game
Same, where are your seats?

Old
11-14-2012, 04:47 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
Same, where are your seats?
Not sure, we're just going to show up and buy them at the gate since it's not even close to sold out. Maybe even get under priced tickets from desperate scalpers if possible

Old
11-14-2012, 04:56 PM
ponder

Quote:
That's right.

There are a tonne of Leafs fans on HF boards. Many are pretty reasonable/unbiased, some are a bit homer-ish, some are solidly homer-ish, and a small fraction are insanely homer-ish. It's the same with any fanbase, the extreme Leafs homers are just more numerous because there are so many Leafs fans period. If you can't learn to tune out the extremists, I don't know what to say.

You may as well say "man, Canadians are awful, always serially ****** and killing women." That's a reflection of the odd Canadian, like Robert Pickton and Paul Bernardo, but if that's how you view Canadians in general, then you've got some perception issues.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Sevanston

Rielly's highlight videos are truly eye-popping. I don't want to say Burke was right, but I can definitely see why a scouting staff might rate him as 1st overall.

As a Hawks fan, I have to ask how much of Travis Brown's offensive totals are coming just because he plays with Rielly. I hate when people piggyback on threads like this, but I don't think Brown is worthy of his own thread (certainly not yet).

Old
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Rielly's highlight videos are truly eye-popping. I don't want to say Burke was right, but I can definitely see why a scouting staff might rate him as 1st overall.

As a Hawks fan, I have to ask how much of Travis Brown's offensive totals are coming just because he plays with Rielly. I hate when people piggyback on threads like this, but I don't think Brown is worthy of his own thread (certainly not yet).
Haven't watched too many MJ games this season so take this with a grain of salt.

Obviously Rielly is making his totals look a little better, but it's not like Brown is 100% piggy backing. Has looked solid physically, and showed some offensive flair not dependent on Rielly this season. He's actually having quite a solid season. Also has good vision in the defensive zone and makes a nice first pass.

However, I've only watched a couple games this season and usually listen to the radio.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:05 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

I've seen a lot of Brown this season just as a side effect of watching Rielly. Yes, his point totals are probably inflated due to Rielly, but I still really like him as a player. He's always stepping in for Rielly when guys take liberties and he's extremely physical. They make a great tandem.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:45 PM
re5piration
'67 til

He's looking good out there, stands out so much on the PP.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Kulemon

Whenever he is out there he makes stuff happen. That's what I love about him.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29 View Post
Haven't watched too many MJ games this season so take this with a grain of salt.

Obviously Rielly is making his totals look a little better, but it's not like Brown is 100% piggy backing. Has looked solid physically, and showed some offensive flair not dependent on Rielly this season. He's actually having quite a solid season. Also has good vision in the defensive zone and makes a nice first pass.

However, I've only watched a couple games this season and usually listen to the radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
I've seen a lot of Brown this season just as a side effect of watching Rielly. Yes, his point totals are probably inflated due to Rielly, but I still really like him as a player. He's always stepping in for Rielly when guys take liberties and he's extremely physical. They make a great tandem.
Thanks to both of you. He sounds like exactly what the Hawks need.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Every single time I see this kid play he blows me away. He's going to be a special player.

Closed Thread