HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 01:03 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
How likely do you think it is for Pouliot to make the team?
Low IMO, I think there are five practical locks: Hamilton, Harrington, Murphy, Rielly and Murray (Spott loves Murphy, will not cut him despite people wishing for it). Ouellet probably fills out the top six, then Pouliot is in a battle with the leftovers (Ceci, Dumba, Reinhart, Corrado, etc.) for the seventh spot. Murphy, Rielly and Hamilton have the puck moving element covered for Pouliot. Next year as a 19 year old he probably makes it. Maybe Pouliot beats out a Rielly or they both make it, one as the seventh guy but I doubt it.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Puempel - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Drouin - MacKinnon - Huberdeau
Schiefele - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Monahan, Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart - Ouellet
Ceci, Dumba

Subban
Binnington

- Keeps the linemates together (Drouin/MacKinnon & Strome/Ritchie)
- Two of the best CHL snipers on either side of Hopkins would be deadly
- Don't want Murphy on the team, plays too selfishly for my liking
- Binnington is having a great season, goaltending looks much better than previous years

*Not what I predict will happen, but what I'd like to see happen*
Good lineup except for Puempel IMO.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:42 PM
arsmaster

Like to pump Corrado's tires in this thread.

Looked better than every defensman in this series so far not named Douggie Hamilton.

Not just because he scored a goal either.

Plays much more composed game than R. Murphy, has a harder shot than Ceci and is a better all around defender.

He's 2nd on the Wolves in points and he's a Dman, logging heavy minutes on what seems to be a fairly weak offensive team.

After all that, I can now mention his skating....its as good as any, if not better than any defensman we've seen in the series and on 'big ice' that will be another factor in him having a chance.

IMO there are 3 locks: Hamilton, Murray,and Harrington...I would say from the players we've seen so far, Corrado and Ouelette were the best so far.

Dumba, Rielly, and Reinhart are probably the 3 from the WHL with the best chance to make it (outside shot Pulock impresses too).

I'd like to see the blueline look like this:

Murray-Harrington
Hamilton-Corrado
Rielly-Dumba
Ouelette

Although, I always prefer players to play their strong side so Murray could play with Hamilton and Corrado could shutdown with Harrington (was dissappointed they didn't try it last night).

Hopefully HC pays less attention to draft position than HF does.

I admit bias as a Canucks fan, but I don't see how anyone can't be impressed with Corrado's development since his draft year, and his high level of play to date.

If the NHL starts back up, he might not even be available....that's how impressed Canucks' brass is with him.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:45 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I think Catenacci will be the third center over Strome because his game is more well rounded. Notice it was Catenacci who was taking all of the key faceoffs last night and was on the ice for all of the crucial time at the end of the game. Nd You need different types of players, and Cat would fill that spot well.
So then where do you put Strome? And if HC wants a checking line third center, I think Jenner takes that spot not Catennaci

Old
11-13-2012, 01:58 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Like to pump Corrado's tires in this thread.

Looked better than every defensman in this series so far not named Douggie Hamilton.

Not just because he scored a goal either.

Plays much more composed game than R. Murphy, has a harder shot than Ceci and is a better all around defender.

He's 2nd on the Wolves in points and he's a Dman, logging heavy minutes on what seems to be a fairly weak offensive team.

After all that, I can now mention his skating....its as good as any, if not better than any defensman we've seen in the series and on 'big ice' that will be another factor in him having a chance.

IMO there are 3 locks: Hamilton, Murray,and Harrington...I would say from the players we've seen so far, Corrado and Ouelette were the best so far.

Dumba, Rielly, and Reinhart are probably the 3 from the WHL with the best chance to make it (outside shot Pulock impresses too).

I'd like to see the blueline look like this:

Murray-Harrington
Hamilton-Corrado
Rielly-Dumba
Ouelette

Although, I always prefer players to play their strong side so Murray could play with Hamilton and Corrado could shutdown with Harrington (was dissappointed they didn't try it last night).

Hopefully HC pays less attention to draft position than HF does.

I admit bias as a Canucks fan, but I don't see how anyone can't be impressed with Corrado's development since his draft year, and his high level of play to date.

If the NHL starts back up, he might not even be available....that's how impressed Canucks' brass is with him.
He's not making the WJC squad.

Morgan Rielly, Matt Dumba, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murray, Scott Harrington, and a few others are all much, much better players / options than Frank Corrado.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
JackSlater

I hadn't seen much of Wilson before, but last night he really looked like the kind of energy forward Canada usually brings. I'm not sure he would be all that useful in Europe, but he's probably going to get a long look now.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
So then where do you put Strome? And if HC wants a checking line third center, I think Jenner takes that spot not Catennaci
Why do I need Strome at all? Catenacci is a minimal downgrade offensively and but a significant upgrade defensively over him.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
He's not making the WJC squad.

Morgan Rielly, Matt Dumba, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murray, Scott Harrington, and a few others are all much, much better players / options than Frank Corrado.
The Saurus with a negative outlook on something Canucks related... I never thought I'd see that day!

You say there are a few much, much better players... care to list them? In what ways are they much, much better players then Corrado? Maybe you can back your opinion with actual reasoning, stats, facts..etc instead of just making a claim with nothing backing it?

I think his play this season with the Wolves, playing a part in winning the World Junior Club Cup this Summer, play in the Subway Series & his versatility has surely earn him an invite to the WJ Camp. Unless his play falls off a cliff between now till the Camp I think his play & ability to play a shutdown role or an offensive role (he's got a useful 100 mph slapper too) will make HC think long & hard before cuts are made. Also there is a reason he was a Finalist for the Max Kaminsky Trophy last year while not piling up the points.... he has great poise, positioning..etc

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 11-13-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 02:48 PM
newfy

Quote:
Why do I need Strome at all? Catenacci is a minimal downgrade offensively and but a significant upgrade defensively over him.
Because Strome is still be offensively and is the top scorer in the OHL, and also a top 5 pick/ returnee from last years team. Its idiotic to think he wouldnt be there

Old
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
The Saurus with a negative outlook on something Canucks related... I never thought I'd see that day!

You say there are a few much, much better players... care to list them? In what ways are they much, much better players then Corrado? Maybe you can back your opinion with actual reasoning, stats, facts..etc instead of just making a claim with nothing backing it?

I think his play this season with the Wolves, playing a part in winning the World Junior Club Cup this Summer, play in the Subway Series & his versatility has surely earn him an invite to the WJ Camp. Unless his play falls off a cliff between now till the Camp I think his play & ability to play a shutdown role or an offensive role (he's got a useful 100 mph slapper too) will make HC think long & hard before cuts are made. Also there is a reason he was a Finalist for the Max Kaminsky Trophy last year while not piling up the points.... he has great poise, positioning..etc
Wouldn't have had to read that post if you didn't quote it....much for the same reason you quoted it.

Funny part is, all the players he said have a better chance still make the team in my proposed d-corps.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:05 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Because Strome is still be offensively and is the top scorer in the OHL, and also a top 5 pick/ returnee from last years team. Its idiotic to think he wouldnt be there
Strome fits a certain role. It's a virtual lock that RNH and MacKinnon get the top 2 center spots. Maybe you could push Strome out to the wing, but Cat is better for the bottom 6 as he brings more versatility. He's the best player on the best team in the OHL, scoring at a higher clip then Jenner and plays a better 2 way game than just about anyone in that league. The kid deserves a spot as much as anyone.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:30 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Strome fits a certain role. It's a virtual lock that RNH and MacKinnon get the top 2 center spots. Maybe you could push Strome out to the wing, but Cat is better for the bottom 6 as he brings more versatility. He's the best player on the best team in the OHL, scoring at a higher clip then Jenner and plays a better 2 way game than just about anyone in that league. The kid deserves a spot as much as anyone.
Strome IS on this team. I would be willing to bet my house, car and lifes savings that Strome will be there. He might be on the wing but he will be there.

MacKinnon and Catenacci are nowhere near locks. MacKinnon has a shot, a pretty good one, but Catenacciprobably wont be there.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Ryan Strome is a returning player leading his junior league in scoring and +/-, you don't push a guy like that out to make room for Catenacci. They could both make it but Strome will be on the team in a prominent role.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Ryan Strome is a returning player leading his junior league in scoring and +/-, you don't push a guy like that out to make room for Catenacci. They could both make it but Strome will be on the team in a prominent role.
the only forward i see making it( 12 positions) from the Dub is Ty Rattie.
Is there any others that push their way onto the top two lines?
Is there anyone else that can supply specialty minutes.
we have four from the Q making it, six from Ontario, 1 NCAA.
Who from the west will cut into those numbers?

Old
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
whatsupcomrade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
if the nuge comes back and canada gets competent goaltending - both are admittedly big ifs - a lot of this talk becomes academic. RNH is better than yakupov: not as flashy, but smarter, more mature, more consistent and a better team guy - and he'll be the star of that tournament if he's close to his best. The most important guy on the ice for canada, though, might be malcolm subban. I care less about who is on the forward lines than I do about who's between the pipes. Subban isn't hasek, but he's the only goaltender canada has at any level who might be able to steal us a game in the big moment. It's a sad commentary on canadian goaltending and the inability of hockey canada to address the problem. Canada hasn't had game-stealing netminding since the 1990s.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
whatsupcomrade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintsocomrade View Post
if the nuge comes back and canada gets competent goaltending - both are admittedly big ifs - a lot of this talk becomes academic. RNH is better than yakupov: not as flashy, but smarter, more mature, more consistent and a better team guy - and he'll be the star of that tournament if he's close to his best. The most important guy on the ice for canada, though, might be malcolm subban. I care less about who is on the forward lines than I do about who's between the pipes. Subban isn't hasek, but he's the only goaltender canada has at any level who might be able to steal us a game in the big moment. It's a sad commentary on canadian goaltending and the inability of hockey canada to address the problem. Canada hasn't had game-stealing netminding since the 1990s.
actually, coaching could be a problem for canada, too; spott is rather "spotty" behind the bench.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Puempel - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Drouin - MacKinnon - Huberdeau
Schiefele - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Monahan, Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart - Ouellet
Ceci, Dumba

Subban
Binnington

- Keeps the linemates together (Drouin/MacKinnon & Strome/Ritchie)
- Two of the best CHL snipers on either side of Hopkins would be deadly
- Don't want Murphy on the team, plays too selfishly for my liking
- Binnington is having a great season, goaltending looks much better than previous years

*Not what I predict will happen, but what I'd like to see happen*
I think Lessio is hurt ?? ...I would replace all those in bold, I dont think RNH will play, put in Wilson, Graovac

Corrado instead of Ceci ???

Old
11-13-2012, 08:47 PM
spfan

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Danault-Scheifele-Ritchie
Jenner-Laughton-Sissons
Monahan

Murray-Hamilton
Harrington-Rielly
Oullet-Ceci
Murphy

Subban
Binnington

Old
11-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Tiranis

The fact that some are actually picking Ceci for the team is laughable. I mean, I get that Corrado might not be good enough to make it given the competition, but if he isn't then Ceci certainly isn't either...

Old
11-13-2012, 09:12 PM
lanky

Quote:
I think Adam Lowry could earn a spot on the fourth line.

Strome - RNH - Ritchie
Drouin - Mackinon - Huberdeau
Monahan - Scheifele - Rattie
Lowry - Jenner - Danault

Old
11-13-2012, 10:28 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
id say closest thing would be St. Croix but its not looking too good for him.
Also who from NCAA? or am i totally reading this wrong

Old
11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I think Adam Lowry could earn a spot on the fourth line.

Strome - RNH - Ritchie
Drouin - Mackinon - Huberdeau
Monahan - Scheifele - Rattie
Lowry - Jenner - Danault
Doubtful. He'll no doubt get an invite, but Graovac and Leivo are both better players.

My bet:

Strome-RNH-Rattie
Huberdeau-Mackinnon-Drouin
Monahan-Jenner-Schiefele
Ritchie-Danault-Graovac
Wilson

Murray-Hamilton
Reilly-Murphy
Harrington-Oullet
Dumba

Subban
Binnington

I think Dumba makes it over Corrado because he always has performed very well for Team Canada and he also brings grit which the rest of the D corps lacks.

Also, a Wilson-Graovac-Ritchie line would be an unreal 4th line. All 6'4 plus physical beasts

Old
11-14-2012, 12:04 AM
canucksPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Doubtful. He'll no doubt get an invite, but Graovac and Leivo are both better players.

My bet:

Strome-RNH-Rattie
Huberdeau-Mackinnon-Drouin
Monahan-Jenner-Schiefele
Ritchie-Danault-Graovac
Wilson

Murray-Hamilton
Reilly-Murphy
Harrington-Oullet
Dumba

Subban
Binnington

I think Dumba makes it over Corrado because he always has performed very well for Team Canada and he also brings grit which the rest of the D corps lacks.

Also, a Wilson-Graovac-Ritchie line would be an unreal 4th line. All 6'4 plus physical beasts
Now this, is a lineup I can agree with. I'm not sold on Monahan on the third line, and having three centers there doesn't seem 100 percent likely, but if this was the roster and lineup I would be ecstatic.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:41 AM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I'm thinking that Spott and Team Canada have seen something in Lowry that maybe you've missed. Captains of this SSS are Huberdeau, Jenner, Harrington, Murray and Lowry. All four of the others are locks for the WJC team.

Leipsic played great in the Canada-Russia challenge this summer, so he could be another western contender. I'd have him on the team as an agitator before St Croix as a scorer.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:51 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I'm thinking that Spott and Team Canada have seen something in Lowry that maybe you've missed. Captains of this SSS are Huberdeau, Jenner, Harrington, Murray and Lowry. All four of the others are locks for the WJC team.

Leipsic played great in the Canada-Russia challenge this summer, so he could be another western contender. I'd have him on the team as an agitator before St Croix as a scorer.
Leipsic is a big darkhorse I think, pretty sure they loved his game in the Russia summer series, he looked terrific there.

Closed Thread