HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
  #701
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Archibald has had a nice start this sason with 9 points in 10 games
From the couple times I've watched UNO this season, he's been a real agitator as well. Not sure how that will translate to the pro game though since he's a pretty small guy.

Sivek is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
  #702
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
And I see your reasoning Roddy on scouting, but I was just relaying what some media folks were saying before the draft. Which I found posted here.
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing ya, just that "familiarity" justification. I hope it's not as prevalent as our draft record would suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Bell is the moron that drove his car like an idiot and killed a girl a few years ago. Pretty sure that's why no-one has ever drafted him.
So did Craig MacTavish, and he ended up having a pretty great career.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
  #703
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing ya, just that "familiarity" justification. I hope it's not as prevalent as our draft record would suggest.



So did Craig MacTavish, and he ended up having a pretty great career.
There's also the legal concerns, he could be drafted really high then taken to jail for life. Pens should offer him a try-out though, but don't waste a pick on him.

penguins2946* is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
  #704
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
There's also the legal concerns, he could be drafted really high then taken to jail for life. Pens should offer him a try-out though, but don't waste a pick on him.
That won't happen. But it turns out Bell has been playing forward this year anyway.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
  #705
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy
 
On Vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IAVDBTR
Posts: 582
vCash: 500
Heavy praise to Harrington from the commentators at the Super Series. Best shutdown defender in the CHL.

On Vinyl is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
  #706
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,209
vCash: 500
Harrington plays a **** ton of hockey.

JTG is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
  #707
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPuddle View Post
Heavy praise to Harrington from the commentators at the Super Series. Best shutdown defender in the CHL.
They always say that. And with good cause.

Captain Harrington was the best defenseman on the ice tonight. Great positioning, closed gaps quickly, smart stick, efficient outlets. The only time he didn't look good was when he missed the hint on a defensive switch on the PP and just kept getting crowded onto the half-wall, haha.

People think he's the most expendable of our coveted defense prospects. I think we'd end up very, very sorry if we dealt him. He's as steady as junior defensemen come, and he's got the tools for his game to translate to the show.

Caps' draft pick Tom Wilson also played a helluva game. He's a bull out there, and he steamrolled any Russian that got in his way. Undrafted Naumenkov was the best Russian, I thought. Played a smart, physical game all night long.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 11:12 PM
  #708
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, teams do rank every player in the draft. I was more stating that as I would have liked to see if Shero could have potentially got some other deals in place including that pick, whether that'd be moving up or down in the draft.

That being said, I can almost guarantee that Shero and Rutherford had that deal in place way before the draft, so Shero was more than likely knowing exactly what he was going to do if things came to fruition.

I don't think it would have had an impact. The trade was completed 15-20 minutes prior to the draft starting, and the Pens were working on the deal from at least the night before (after Staal had rejected their contract). It doesn't take long to work on a trade to move up a spot or 2 or 3.

Rielly & Lindholm are the two guys who I am intrigued and impressed enough with to say that they may be clear-cut better players (and have higher upside) than DP at this time, but it would have cost at least our 2nd round pick, plus probably another fairly high pick to move up. Toronto really loved Rielly, and Anaheim really loved Lindholm; so even if the Pens wanted to trade up, there may not have really been a willing trade partner. Extra time wouldn't have changed that if that were the case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats cool to hear. In term of elite skill I would say its Yakapov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, DePo, Grigs and Teravainen. Sure you have mature kids like Murray but I could easily see him becoming a Sydor type. Those other kids have skills that can't be taught.

Pouliot vs Rielly is a good one. Both are really skilled but I like Pouliots compete level more. Plus you have to think the Pens have been watching Morrow and know everything they need to know about Pouliot.
I disagree. I'm high on DP, but Rielly is at another level. His compete level is extremely high, his skating and speed is superlative, and because of his size/fitness/compete level, he probably has the ability to be more of an all-around Dman than Pouliot.

At this point I would say Rielly has Letang potential (#1 all-around Dman who can put up huge numbers), and Pouliot has Goligoski potential (#2 or 3 Dman who can put up lots of points, is underrated and effective defensively, but will have automatic limitations due to lack of size & physicality).

I know DP looks to have a bit more grit than GoGo, so it's not a perfect comparison, but I believe it's a pretty good comparison. Lindholm, on the other hand, could be like a Kenny Jonsson in his prime, which is a pretty special player and a legit #1 who logs huge minutes -- even if he doesn't put up as many points as the other two.

jmelm is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  #709
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism
 
Gallatin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I don't think it would have had an impact. The trade was completed 15-20 minutes prior to the draft starting, and the Pens were working on the deal from at least the night before (after Staal had rejected their contract). It doesn't take long to work on a trade to move up a spot or 2 or 3.

Rielly & Lindholm are the two guys who I am intrigued and impressed enough with to say that they may be clear-cut better players (and have higher upside) than DP at this time, but it would have cost at least our 2nd round pick, plus probably another fairly high pick to move up. Toronto really loved Rielly, and Anaheim really loved Lindholm; so even if the Pens wanted to trade up, there may not have really been a willing trade partner. Extra time wouldn't have changed that if that were the case.




I disagree. I'm high on DP, but Rielly is at another level. His compete level is extremely high, his skating and speed is superlative, and because of his size/fitness/compete level, he probably has the ability to be more of an all-around Dman than Pouliot.

At this point I would say Rielly has Letang potential (#1 all-around Dman who can put up huge numbers), and Pouliot has Goligoski potential (#2 or 3 Dman who can put up lots of points, is underrated and effective defensively, but will have automatic limitations due to lack of size & physicality).

I know DP looks to have a bit more grit than GoGo, so it's not a perfect comparison, but I believe it's a pretty good comparison. Lindholm, on the other hand, could be like a Kenny Jonsson in his prime, which is a pretty special player and a legit #1 who logs huge minutes -- even if he doesn't put up as many points as the other two.
So Anaheim zeroed in on their guy, Toronto Zeroed in on their guy, and the Pens zeroed in on their guy. All 3 teams were in love with their pick. Given we are talking the Pens, I'll take their D evaluations ahead of those two teams any day!

Have you even seen Pouliot play? He is so far from being similar to GoGo it's not even funny. DP has been looking to fight this year, has a legit grittiness/physicality to his game, and will play at 210 lbs or so compared to GoGo's small framed 180. He is a great skater, with better vision right now than Letang has. Don't know yet if he has that natural mean streak that Letang and Morrow possess though. DP looks like he could develop into a complete player bro.

Gallatin is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
  #710
Valarukar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
So Anaheim zeroed in on their guy, Toronto Zeroed in on their guy, and the Pens zeroed in on their guy. All 3 teams were in love with their pick. Given we are talking the Pens, I'll take their D evaluations ahead of those two teams any day!

Have you even seen Pouliot play? He is so far from being similar to GoGo it's not even funny. DP has been looking to fight this year, has a legit grittiness/physicality to his game, and will play at 210 lbs or so compared to GoGo's small framed 180. He is a great skater, with better vision right now than Letang has. Don't know yet if he has that natural mean streak that Letang and Morrow possess though. DP looks like he could develop into a complete player bro.
I've heard comparisons of Brian Campbell which seem good. He is smaller than DP will likely end up size wise though.

Valarukar is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
  #711
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
I've heard comparisons of Brian Campbell which seem good. He is smaller than DP will likely end up size wise though.
I have also heard of Pouliot comparisons to Duncan Keith even though DP has recently stated that he's trying to mirror his game to Drew Doughty.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
  #712
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I have also heard of Pouliot comparisons to Duncan Keith even though DP has recently stated that he's trying to mirror his game to Drew Doughty.
If you combine grit, physicality, stocky 6'1 frame, elite skating and offensive instincts, Drew Doughty is a hell of a comparable.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
  #713
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
If Pouliot turns out to be as good as Doughty, I will poop bricks. Who do you think has a higher ceiling, Morrow or Pouliot? Both are 8.0 C on Hockey's Future

penguins2946* is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
  #714
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 50
can't wait till we field a defense of:

Duncan Keith - Marc-Édouard Vlasic
Brian Campbell - Rob Scuderi
Teppo Numminen - Dan Girardi


Crafton is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
  #715
Hottubber
Registered User
 
Hottubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
If Pouliot turns out to be as good as Doughty, I will poop bricks. Who do you think has a higher ceiling, Morrow or Pouliot? Both are 8.0 C on Hockey's Future
IMO Pouliot has the higher ceiling. Not taking away anything from Morrow who most around here know is going to be a very good d-man for the pens in the future, but he doesnt have near the offensive potential DP has (Not saying offense is everthing).

Pouliots ability to skate, carry & distrbute the puck will be extremely valuble in the future. Although so will Morrows cannon from the point.

Hottubber is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:55 PM
  #716
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
IMO Pouliot has the higher ceiling. Not taking away anything from Morrow who most around here know is going to be a very good d-man for the pens in the future, but he doesnt have near the offensive potential DP has (Not saying offense is everthing).

Pouliots ability to skate, carry & distrbute the puck will be extremely valuble in the future. Although so will Morrows cannon from the point.
I think Morrow is every bit as good offensively as Pouliot, though they are a bit different. Morrow is one of the best skaters in the organization, and could probably lay claim at being THE best, and that's saying something. He's more of a puck-lugger, where Pouliot is a puck-mover.

I also think Morrow brings a physical dimension that I haven't really heard of Pouliot bringing.

JTG is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 07:04 PM
  #717
Hottubber
Registered User
 
Hottubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think Morrow is every bit as good offensively as Pouliot, though they are a bit different. Morrow is one of the best skaters in the organization, and could probably lay claim at being THE best, and that's saying something. He's more of a puck-lugger, where Pouliot is a puck-mover.
I also think Morrow brings a physical dimension that I haven't really heard of Pouliot bringing.
Thats probably a good way to word it. They just play a different game and its always tough to compare 2 players even tho at the same position, play different styles.

I agree that Morrow plays more of a physical style, but thats the one thing I think people, when they see DP more, will also see. Scrappy best describes his physicalness, and he definitely does not back down from confrontations. I think that as the year goes on, its also something he is working harder at.

I know he has been compared to Keith and Campbell I think mostly because of the way he carries the puck. But he is fairly stumpy and think engages players more. Keith has a bit of a temper but its not always apparent.

As mentioned above by some posters, DP wanting to pattern his game after Doughty is really good to hear. You dont have to crush guys but being even as physical as Letang is never a bad thing

Hottubber is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 11:56 PM
  #718
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Thats probably a good way to word it. They just play a different game and its always tough to compare 2 players even tho at the same position, play different styles.

I agree that Morrow plays more of a physical style, but thats the one thing I think people, when they see DP more, will also see. Scrappy best describes his physicalness, and he definitely does not back down from confrontations. I think that as the year goes on, its also something he is working harder at.

I know he has been compared to Keith and Campbell I think mostly because of the way he carries the puck. But he is fairly stumpy and think engages players more. Keith has a bit of a temper but its not always apparent.

As mentioned above by some posters, DP wanting to pattern his game after Doughty is really good to hear. You dont have to crush guys but being even as physical as Letang is never a bad thing
There's lots to like about DP, but I've never heard of or seen him play a hitting game. Letang is one of the most physical #1 defensemen in the league, so projecting something akin to that from DP seems optimistic to me.

He's not afraid to give somebody a hard time after the whistle, but that sort of physicality really isn't part of his repertoire right now - though it sounds like he wants to incorporate it.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  #719
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism
 
Gallatin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
There's lots to like about DP, but I've never heard of or seen him play a hitting game. Letang is one of the most physical #1 defensemen in the league, so projecting something akin to that from DP seems optimistic to me.

He's not afraid to give somebody a hard time after the whistle, but that sort of physicality really isn't part of his repertoire right now - though it sounds like he wants to incorporate it.
Rowdy few if any offensive defenseman are as mean and physical as Letang. I think what people who have watched Pouliot play this year are saying is that he does have a physical game, one that is developing and that he is nothing like the timid-leaning-toward-soft GoGo, other than the slick passing and skating that is.

Gallatin is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM
  #720
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,691
vCash: 500
Letang wasn't always mean either. That part of his game only started to come out a couple years ago.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
  #721
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,209
vCash: 500
The thing that upsets me about Letang's physical game is that he is more chippy, and he'll play that way consistently, but he won't always punish guys. Letang can really lay the boom if he wants to. I'd like to see him do that more often.

Then again, you don't want your #1 taking that beating consistently.

I just think Letang can be much more imposing, and more punishing.

JTG is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
  #722
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Rowdy few if any offensive defenseman are as mean and physical as Letang. I think what people who have watched Pouliot play this year are saying is that he does have a physical game, one that is developing and that he is nothing like the timid-leaning-toward-soft GoGo, other than the slick passing and skating that is.
Gallatin, I have watched Pouliot play this year - even made a point of going to see him live, in fact.

Here's what I wrote about him afterwards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Went to see Pouliot live in Brandon last night, and came away impressed. He was the best player on either side, IMO.

He's a fast, fluid skater, and his lateral mobility makes him hard to track down. Great rushing or passing the puck up-ice as he has a knack for finding seams, and while he doesn't have an imposing shot, he has a very accurate one. Strikes me as having a ton of composure and smarts at both ends, and really dictated the pace of the game.

Only thing is I wish he had a little more bite to his game. He doesn't seem to have that innate Letang/Morrow type fire.
I mean, I went out of my way to mention it before it even became a talking point here. He's not soft, and it's nothing that would hold him back considering all the other things he does well...he just didn't strike me as being a physical player by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing that upsets me about Letang's physical game is that he is more chippy, and he'll play that way consistently, but he won't always punish guys. Letang can really lay the boom if he wants to. I'd like to see him do that more often.

Then again, you don't want your #1 taking that beating consistently.

I just think Letang can be much more imposing, and more punishing.
At least he's judicious with it, unlike some of our hit-chasers.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
  #723
CaseyPierroZabotel17
I'm the Best
 
CaseyPierroZabotel17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
I can't wait until the Pens roll a line of Uher-Vitale-Archibald.

CaseyPierroZabotel17 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
  #724
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism
 
Gallatin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Gallatin, I have watched Pouliot play this year - even made a point of going to see him live, in fact.

Here's what I wrote about him afterwards:



I mean, I went out of my way to mention it before it even became a talking point here. He's not soft, and it's nothing that would hold him back considering all the other things he does well...he just didn't strike me as being a physical player by any means.



At least he's judicious with it, unlike some of our hit-chasers.
Got it. Did not know you had seen him live.

Gallatin is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
  #725
steelcityassault
Registered User
 
steelcityassault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
I can't wait until the Pens roll a line of Uher-Vitale-Archibald.
Veilleux-Rust-Uher will be my personal favorite

steelcityassault is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.