HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Archibald has had a nice start this sason with 9 points in 10 games
From the couple times I've watched UNO this season, he's been a real agitator as well. Not sure how that will translate to the pro game though since he's a pretty small guy.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
And I see your reasoning Roddy on scouting, but I was just relaying what some media folks were saying before the draft. Which I found posted here.
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing ya, just that "familiarity" justification. I hope it's not as prevalent as our draft record would suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Bell is the moron that drove his car like an idiot and killed a girl a few years ago. Pretty sure that's why no-one has ever drafted him.
So did Craig MacTavish, and he ended up having a pretty great career.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing ya, just that "familiarity" justification. I hope it's not as prevalent as our draft record would suggest.

So did Craig MacTavish, and he ended up having a pretty great career.
There's also the legal concerns, he could be drafted really high then taken to jail for life. Pens should offer him a try-out though, but don't waste a pick on him.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
There's also the legal concerns, he could be drafted really high then taken to jail for life. Pens should offer him a try-out though, but don't waste a pick on him.
That won't happen. But it turns out Bell has been playing forward this year anyway.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Heavy praise to Harrington from the commentators at the Super Series. Best shutdown defender in the CHL.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
JTG

Harrington plays a **** ton of hockey.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPuddle View Post
Heavy praise to Harrington from the commentators at the Super Series. Best shutdown defender in the CHL.
They always say that. And with good cause.

Captain Harrington was the best defenseman on the ice tonight. Great positioning, closed gaps quickly, smart stick, efficient outlets. The only time he didn't look good was when he missed the hint on a defensive switch on the PP and just kept getting crowded onto the half-wall, haha.

People think he's the most expendable of our coveted defense prospects. I think we'd end up very, very sorry if we dealt him. He's as steady as junior defensemen come, and he's got the tools for his game to translate to the show.

Caps' draft pick Tom Wilson also played a helluva game. He's a bull out there, and he steamrolled any Russian that got in his way. Undrafted Naumenkov was the best Russian, I thought. Played a smart, physical game all night long.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:12 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, teams do rank every player in the draft. I was more stating that as I would have liked to see if Shero could have potentially got some other deals in place including that pick, whether that'd be moving up or down in the draft.

That being said, I can almost guarantee that Shero and Rutherford had that deal in place way before the draft, so Shero was more than likely knowing exactly what he was going to do if things came to fruition.

I don't think it would have had an impact. The trade was completed 15-20 minutes prior to the draft starting, and the Pens were working on the deal from at least the night before (after Staal had rejected their contract). It doesn't take long to work on a trade to move up a spot or 2 or 3.

Rielly & Lindholm are the two guys who I am intrigued and impressed enough with to say that they may be clear-cut better players (and have higher upside) than DP at this time, but it would have cost at least our 2nd round pick, plus probably another fairly high pick to move up. Toronto really loved Rielly, and Anaheim really loved Lindholm; so even if the Pens wanted to trade up, there may not have really been a willing trade partner. Extra time wouldn't have changed that if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats cool to hear. In term of elite skill I would say its Yakapov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, DePo, Grigs and Teravainen. Sure you have mature kids like Murray but I could easily see him becoming a Sydor type. Those other kids have skills that can't be taught.

Pouliot vs Rielly is a good one. Both are really skilled but I like Pouliots compete level more. Plus you have to think the Pens have been watching Morrow and know everything they need to know about Pouliot.
I disagree. I'm high on DP, but Rielly is at another level. His compete level is extremely high, his skating and speed is superlative, and because of his size/fitness/compete level, he probably has the ability to be more of an all-around Dman than Pouliot.

At this point I would say Rielly has Letang potential (#1 all-around Dman who can put up huge numbers), and Pouliot has Goligoski potential (#2 or 3 Dman who can put up lots of points, is underrated and effective defensively, but will have automatic limitations due to lack of size & physicality).

I know DP looks to have a bit more grit than GoGo, so it's not a perfect comparison, but I believe it's a pretty good comparison. Lindholm, on the other hand, could be like a Kenny Jonsson in his prime, which is a pretty special player and a legit #1 who logs huge minutes -- even if he doesn't put up as many points as the other two.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I don't think it would have had an impact. The trade was completed 15-20 minutes prior to the draft starting, and the Pens were working on the deal from at least the night before (after Staal had rejected their contract). It doesn't take long to work on a trade to move up a spot or 2 or 3.

Rielly & Lindholm are the two guys who I am intrigued and impressed enough with to say that they may be clear-cut better players (and have higher upside) than DP at this time, but it would have cost at least our 2nd round pick, plus probably another fairly high pick to move up. Toronto really loved Rielly, and Anaheim really loved Lindholm; so even if the Pens wanted to trade up, there may not have really been a willing trade partner. Extra time wouldn't have changed that if that were the case.

I disagree. I'm high on DP, but Rielly is at another level. His compete level is extremely high, his skating and speed is superlative, and because of his size/fitness/compete level, he probably has the ability to be more of an all-around Dman than Pouliot.

At this point I would say Rielly has Letang potential (#1 all-around Dman who can put up huge numbers), and Pouliot has Goligoski potential (#2 or 3 Dman who can put up lots of points, is underrated and effective defensively, but will have automatic limitations due to lack of size & physicality).

I know DP looks to have a bit more grit than GoGo, so it's not a perfect comparison, but I believe it's a pretty good comparison. Lindholm, on the other hand, could be like a Kenny Jonsson in his prime, which is a pretty special player and a legit #1 who logs huge minutes -- even if he doesn't put up as many points as the other two.
So Anaheim zeroed in on their guy, Toronto Zeroed in on their guy, and the Pens zeroed in on their guy. All 3 teams were in love with their pick. Given we are talking the Pens, I'll take their D evaluations ahead of those two teams any day!

Have you even seen Pouliot play? He is so far from being similar to GoGo it's not even funny. DP has been looking to fight this year, has a legit grittiness/physicality to his game, and will play at 210 lbs or so compared to GoGo's small framed 180. He is a great skater, with better vision right now than Letang has. Don't know yet if he has that natural mean streak that Letang and Morrow possess though. DP looks like he could develop into a complete player bro.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Valarukar

Quote:
So Anaheim zeroed in on their guy, Toronto Zeroed in on their guy, and the Pens zeroed in on their guy. All 3 teams were in love with their pick. Given we are talking the Pens, I'll take their D evaluations ahead of those two teams any day!

Have you even seen Pouliot play? He is so far from being similar to GoGo it's not even funny. DP has been looking to fight this year, has a legit grittiness/physicality to his game, and will play at 210 lbs or so compared to GoGo's small framed 180. He is a great skater, with better vision right now than Letang has. Don't know yet if he has that natural mean streak that Letang and Morrow possess though. DP looks like he could develop into a complete player bro.
I've heard comparisons of Brian Campbell which seem good. He is smaller than DP will likely end up size wise though.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
I've heard comparisons of Brian Campbell which seem good. He is smaller than DP will likely end up size wise though.
I have also heard of Pouliot comparisons to Duncan Keith even though DP has recently stated that he's trying to mirror his game to Drew Doughty.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I have also heard of Pouliot comparisons to Duncan Keith even though DP has recently stated that he's trying to mirror his game to Drew Doughty.
If you combine grit, physicality, stocky 6'1 frame, elite skating and offensive instincts, Drew Doughty is a hell of a comparable.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
penguins2946*

If Pouliot turns out to be as good as Doughty, I will poop bricks. Who do you think has a higher ceiling, Morrow or Pouliot? Both are 8.0 C on Hockey's Future

Old
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
can't wait till we field a defense of:

Duncan Keith - Marc-Édouard Vlasic
Brian Campbell - Rob Scuderi
Teppo Numminen - Dan Girardi

Old
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
If Pouliot turns out to be as good as Doughty, I will poop bricks. Who do you think has a higher ceiling, Morrow or Pouliot? Both are 8.0 C on Hockey's Future
IMO Pouliot has the higher ceiling. Not taking away anything from Morrow who most around here know is going to be a very good d-man for the pens in the future, but he doesnt have near the offensive potential DP has (Not saying offense is everthing).

Pouliots ability to skate, carry & distrbute the puck will be extremely valuble in the future. Although so will Morrows cannon from the point.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:55 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
IMO Pouliot has the higher ceiling. Not taking away anything from Morrow who most around here know is going to be a very good d-man for the pens in the future, but he doesnt have near the offensive potential DP has (Not saying offense is everthing).

Pouliots ability to skate, carry & distrbute the puck will be extremely valuble in the future. Although so will Morrows cannon from the point.
I think Morrow is every bit as good offensively as Pouliot, though they are a bit different. Morrow is one of the best skaters in the organization, and could probably lay claim at being THE best, and that's saying something. He's more of a puck-lugger, where Pouliot is a puck-mover.

I also think Morrow brings a physical dimension that I haven't really heard of Pouliot bringing.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
I think Morrow is every bit as good offensively as Pouliot, though they are a bit different. Morrow is one of the best skaters in the organization, and could probably lay claim at being THE best, and that's saying something. He's more of a puck-lugger, where Pouliot is a puck-mover.
I also think Morrow brings a physical dimension that I haven't really heard of Pouliot bringing.
Thats probably a good way to word it. They just play a different game and its always tough to compare 2 players even tho at the same position, play different styles.

I agree that Morrow plays more of a physical style, but thats the one thing I think people, when they see DP more, will also see. Scrappy best describes his physicalness, and he definitely does not back down from confrontations. I think that as the year goes on, its also something he is working harder at.

I know he has been compared to Keith and Campbell I think mostly because of the way he carries the puck. But he is fairly stumpy and think engages players more. Keith has a bit of a temper but its not always apparent.

As mentioned above by some posters, DP wanting to pattern his game after Doughty is really good to hear. You dont have to crush guys but being even as physical as Letang is never a bad thing

Old
11-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Thats probably a good way to word it. They just play a different game and its always tough to compare 2 players even tho at the same position, play different styles.

I agree that Morrow plays more of a physical style, but thats the one thing I think people, when they see DP more, will also see. Scrappy best describes his physicalness, and he definitely does not back down from confrontations. I think that as the year goes on, its also something he is working harder at.

I know he has been compared to Keith and Campbell I think mostly because of the way he carries the puck. But he is fairly stumpy and think engages players more. Keith has a bit of a temper but its not always apparent.

As mentioned above by some posters, DP wanting to pattern his game after Doughty is really good to hear. You dont have to crush guys but being even as physical as Letang is never a bad thing
There's lots to like about DP, but I've never heard of or seen him play a hitting game. Letang is one of the most physical #1 defensemen in the league, so projecting something akin to that from DP seems optimistic to me.

He's not afraid to give somebody a hard time after the whistle, but that sort of physicality really isn't part of his repertoire right now - though it sounds like he wants to incorporate it.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
There's lots to like about DP, but I've never heard of or seen him play a hitting game. Letang is one of the most physical #1 defensemen in the league, so projecting something akin to that from DP seems optimistic to me.

He's not afraid to give somebody a hard time after the whistle, but that sort of physicality really isn't part of his repertoire right now - though it sounds like he wants to incorporate it.
Rowdy few if any offensive defenseman are as mean and physical as Letang. I think what people who have watched Pouliot play this year are saying is that he does have a physical game, one that is developing and that he is nothing like the timid-leaning-toward-soft GoGo, other than the slick passing and skating that is.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Letang wasn't always mean either. That part of his game only started to come out a couple years ago.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
JTG

The thing that upsets me about Letang's physical game is that he is more chippy, and he'll play that way consistently, but he won't always punish guys. Letang can really lay the boom if he wants to. I'd like to see him do that more often.

Then again, you don't want your #1 taking that beating consistently.

I just think Letang can be much more imposing, and more punishing.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Rowdy few if any offensive defenseman are as mean and physical as Letang. I think what people who have watched Pouliot play this year are saying is that he does have a physical game, one that is developing and that he is nothing like the timid-leaning-toward-soft GoGo, other than the slick passing and skating that is.
Gallatin, I have watched Pouliot play this year - even made a point of going to see him live, in fact.

Here's what I wrote about him afterwards:

Quote:
Went to see Pouliot live in Brandon last night, and came away impressed. He was the best player on either side, IMO.

He's a fast, fluid skater, and his lateral mobility makes him hard to track down. Great rushing or passing the puck up-ice as he has a knack for finding seams, and while he doesn't have an imposing shot, he has a very accurate one. Strikes me as having a ton of composure and smarts at both ends, and really dictated the pace of the game.

Only thing is I wish he had a little more bite to his game. He doesn't seem to have that innate Letang/Morrow type fire.
I mean, I went out of my way to mention it before it even became a talking point here. He's not soft, and it's nothing that would hold him back considering all the other things he does well...he just didn't strike me as being a physical player by any means.

Quote:
The thing that upsets me about Letang's physical game is that he is more chippy, and he'll play that way consistently, but he won't always punish guys. Letang can really lay the boom if he wants to. I'd like to see him do that more often.

Then again, you don't want your #1 taking that beating consistently.

I just think Letang can be much more imposing, and more punishing.
At least he's judicious with it, unlike some of our hit-chasers.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
CaseyPierroZabotel17
I'm the Best

I can't wait until the Pens roll a line of Uher-Vitale-Archibald.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Gallatin, I have watched Pouliot play this year - even made a point of going to see him live, in fact.

Here's what I wrote about him afterwards:

I mean, I went out of my way to mention it before it even became a talking point here. He's not soft, and it's nothing that would hold him back considering all the other things he does well...he just didn't strike me as being a physical player by any means.

At least he's judicious with it, unlike some of our hit-chasers.
Got it. Did not know you had seen him live.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
I can't wait until the Pens roll a line of Uher-Vitale-Archibald.
Veilleux-Rust-Uher will be my personal favorite

Closed Thread