HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jerry D'amigo and Deschamps..

Old
07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
that's not what i meant.

"context" as in posting on a messageboard comprised of (from what i can tell) high schoolers and obsessive fans. certainly a lot of anonymous people talking about the leafs for the most part. if the same statement was made in a large media outlet it wouldn't fly.
This message board does have some rules, and one is sources have to be identified if you are claiming you have one. That happens at a much higher level that a simple moderator though. They don't have to be identified to us the rabble, but to the owners of this board.

Opinions are opinions, facts must be facts, even here.

I think one of the annoying bits is you don't want to start every conversation with IMO, usually the context allows you to determine it is opinion.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
This message board does have some rules, and one is sources have to be identified if you are claiming you have one. That happens at a much higher level that a simple moderator though. They don't have to be identified to us the rabble, but to the owners of this board.

Opinions are opinions, facts must be facts, even here.

I think one of the annoying bits is you don't want to start every conversation with IMO, usually the context allows you to determine it is opinion.
it's a good policy. our friend QMJHLfollower still has some good things to say. he toned down his "source" thing from the get go. i don't think that has changed anyone's minds here about D & D.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:05 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

confirmed with link: Today is a Good Day

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=406292

Quote:
In addition to the off-ice testing, Kadri also underwent a series of on-ice tests designed to measure physical fitness, producing "average" results in general, lagging far behind heat-mates Jerry D'Amigo and Nicolas Deschamps, both superior skaters to that of Kadri.
this is why i stand behind D and D. they're hungrier and ready. they will not fall back on their draft position and skill set as right to be on the big club.

just rejoice that we have other forwards coming up from the Marlies that are dedicated and ready to help this team. they work hard and they feel that nothing is owed to them.

Last edited by ULF_55: 09-29-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: No reason to turn this into a Kadri thread. It is about D&D
Old
09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I don't think Deschamps will play NHL hockey. My opinion, idc about your's. Although, I think D'Amigo would slot in nice with Brown and McClement on the 4th line.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-D'Amigo

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:39 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

2010 WJC.

D'Amigo: Games 7 Goals 6 Assists 6 Points 12
Stepan: Games 7 Goals 4 Assists 10 Points 14

Old
09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=406292

this is why i stand behind D and D. they're hungrier and ready. they will not fall back on their draft position and skill set as right to be on the big club.

just rejoice that we have other forwards coming up from the Marlies that are dedicated and ready to help this team. they work hard and they feel that nothing is owed to them.
Agreed - let's start drafting on the basis of physical fitness and forget that pesky little thing called skill.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:04 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I don't think Deschamps will play NHL hockey. My opinion, idc about your's. Although, I think D'Amigo would slot in nice with Brown and McClement on the 4th line.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-D'Amigo
Deschamps is described as Kadri's "heat-mate" in the organization. That is not my opinion. That had to come from somewhere. Does Kadri never have to look over his shoulder for D & D? I wouldn't advise doing that Mr. Kadri.

Why doesn't anyone here celebrate our organizational competition amongst players. Strange. If Kadri can make the most of his opportunities then great, but if he can't be bothered then he should step aside for those who are hungry to play.

Last edited by ForSpareParts*: 09-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 02:12 PM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Deschamps is described as Kadri's "heat-mate" in the organization. That is not my opinion. That had to come from somewhere. Does Kadri never have to look over his shoulder for D & D? I wouldn't advise doing that Mr. Kadri.

Why doesn't anyone here celebrate our organizational competition amongst players. Strange. If Kadri can make the most of his opportunities then great, but if he can't be bothered then step aside for those who are hungry to play.
We do. You're the one that doesn't seem to view Kadri as a legitimate part of that competition.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Why doesn't anyone here celebrate our organizational competition amongst players. Strange. If Kadri can make the most of his opportunities then great, but if he can't be bothered then he should step aside for those who are hungry to play.
There is compete level and being physical fit, and then there is a thing called Hockey Sense and Hockey Skill.

You can't just decide to overlook one aspect of a prospect while highlighting another. If Deschamp truly was as great and favoured as you are making him out to be why wasn't he called up when our injuries hit in the second half of the season? One can be taught defense and preached about hard work ethic for a player's career but some are just born with natural skill of the game, those who have both are truly special players.

Both players are projected for totally different scenarios in the team, one who has a potential to be a great player or a steady top six player. Playing in all situations starting from PK, PP or ES. The other who at his best can be the second liner playmaker on the wing, or that third liner who uses his body effectively with blasting speed. Preferable used at the PK, where his skill and body coverage can help out for those short handed rush.

As for D'amigo, his physical and skating was ALWAYS a given since he was drafted, If I recall in his first prospect camp with us he impressed the leaf brass, but it was his Offensive transition that was worrisome for us hence split time in AHL and OHL.

09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
There is compete level and being physical fit, and then there is a thing called Hockey Sense and Hockey Skill.

You can't just decide to overlook one aspect of a prospect while highlighting another. If Deschamp truly was as great and favoured as you are making him out to be why wasn't he called up when our injuries hit in the second half of the season? One can be taught defense and preached about hard work ethic for a player's career but some are just born with natural skill of the game, those who have both are truly special players.

Both players are projected for totally different scenarios in the team, one who has a potential to be a great player or a steady top six player. Playing in all situations starting from PK, PP or ES. The other who at his best can be the second liner playmaker on the wing, or that third liner who uses his body effectively with blasting speed. Preferable used at the PK, where his skill and body coverage can help out for those short handed rush.

As for D'amigo, his physical and skating was ALWAYS a given since he was drafted, If I recall in his first prospect camp with us he impressed the leaf brass, but it was his Offensive transition that was worrisome for us hence split time in AHL and OHL.
entitlement of draft position similar to Schenn's privilege. maybe Kadri was brought in for a look by scouts, or as way to showcase him as part of a trade. there are many reasons and sometimes they are not so evident. maybe the leafs brass are waiting a little longer to see what Deschamps does. he played fair in the Syracuse organization, but flourished in the Marlies organization (30 points in 40 games + 12 points in 17 games in the AHL playoffs).

Old
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
entitlement of draft position similar to Schenn's privilege. maybe Kadri was brought in for a look by scouts, or as way to showcase him as part of a trade. there are many reasons and sometimes they are not so evident. maybe the leafs brass are waiting a little longer to see what Deschamps does. he played fair in the Syracuse organization, but flourished in the Marlies organization (30 points in 40 games + 12 points in 17 games in the AHL playoffs).
Oh sure go with that talk, when Eakins just called out Kadri's weakness?? Okay what about Matt Frattin, why was he there not Deshamps? Carter Ashton? Joey Crabb? Don't tell me draft position has a say. Ashton was JUST traded into our team, Crabb ideally is an AHL player or a very much a 4th line player.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Oh sure go with that talk, when Eakins just called out Kadri's weakness?? Okay what about Matt Frattin, why was he there not Deshamps? Carter Ashton? Joey Crabb? Don't tell me draft position has a say. Ashton was JUST traded into our team, Crabb ideally is an AHL player or a very much a 4th line player.
are you going to list every prospect that ever had a chance with the leafs going back to the 60's?

trade bait?
chemistry?
draft position?
potential?
power forward?
playing well in the AHL?
fresh start?

there's no concrete answers. subjectivity has a play in it. sometimes expectations, contracts, positional fit, etc. i cannot answer why armstrong bumped Kadri last year when he returned from injury. maybe to help along the boards? i don't know. why is komi getting so much ice time? i couldn't say. his contract dictates it i guess. i wish we could have a better gauge. like say what Deschamps does with his call up. does he play his defensive game well, will he block shots, will he provide some scoring and hard work on the PK? we don't know yet. i say he'll get that shot sooner than later (if we have a season). i'm sure that RC & BB will not be able to ignore his momentum. there are plenty of question marks with our checking, 3rd line, and PK. i hope he gets a shot.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
are you going to list every prospect that ever had a chance with the leafs going back to the 60's?

trade bait?
chemistry?
draft position?
potential?
power forward?
playing well in the AHL?
fresh start?

there's no concrete answers. subjectivity has a play in it. sometimes expectations, contracts, positional fit, etc. i cannot answer why armstrong bumped Kadri last year when he returned from injury. maybe to help along the boards? i don't know. why is komi getting so much ice time? i couldn't say. his contract dictates it i guess. i wish we could have a better gauge. like say what Deschamps does with his call up. does he play his defensive game well, will he block shots, will he provide some scoring and hard work on the PK? we don't know yet. i say he'll get that shot sooner than later (if we have a season). i'm sure that RC & BB will not be able to ignore his momentum. there are plenty of question marks with our checking, 3rd line, and PK. i hope he gets a shot.
What? 60's? Last I recall these prospect/players are those who are playing with the Marlies in the 70's oh wait...2012. Don't try to stray from the point. You clearly indicated draft position could be a possible reason, I approached my answer based on that. Neither of the players I listed are high first round picks, only first rounder there is Ashton (30th overall from 2008 I believe)

You are describing Deshamp as a competition for Kadri, which is good in some sort of sense, as it's always healthy to have in-team competition. At times touting this guy to be better than Kadri is sort of biased though. It's a bit unfair to the prospect himself when you are comparing skill level of a good player between a very good player. As for Deschamp's defensive game/transition to the NHL, yes no one will know truly if he can pull it off. However he does what is required for a guy his size, and skill. He plays good defense, has a bit of a edge to his game, excellent speed and will to use the body effectively to protect the puck. All while having good skill to boot, which is something we would ideally want from MacArthur, who I have always made comparisons too. However the climb for him to get to the third line is a lot harder than it is for Kadri due to his skill. Body and roughness wise, Frattin and Ashton has way more of an edge.

It's great to support a prospect or a player but you should't blindly do it.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
What? 60's? Last I recall these prospect/players are those who are playing with the Marlies in the 70's oh wait...2012. Don't try to stray from the point. You clearly indicated draft position could be a possible reason, I approached my answer based on that. Neither of the players I listed are high first round picks, only first rounder there is Ashton (30th overall from 2008 I believe)

You are describing Deshamp as a competition for Kadri, which is good in some sort of sense, as it's always healthy to have in-team competition. At times touting this guy to be better than Kadri is sort of biased though. It's a bit unfair to the prospect himself when you are comparing skill level of a good player between a very good player. As for Deschamp's defensive game/transition to the NHL, yes no one will know truly if he can pull it off. However he does what is required for a guy his size, and skill. He plays good defense, has a bit of a edge to his game, excellent speed and will to use the body effectively to protect the puck. All while having good skill to boot, which is something we would ideally want from MacArthur, who I have always made comparisons too. However the climb for him to get to the third line is a lot harder than it is for Kadri due to his skill. Body and roughness wise, Frattin and Ashton has way more of an edge.

It's great to support a prospect or a player but you should't blindly do it.
it seems to me that things could go either way with the leafs in regards to Kadri and Deschamps. ultimately the leafs saw Kadri as a center, but who knows if he will ever be a 1C, a 2C, or a 3C. right now he hasn't been given any center opportunities in the NHL. there are very few spots in the top two lines for a wing position Kadri can play in. maybe if JVR, Kuli, Mac, or Frattin are injured he can fill in. if Kadri cannot leap over those players then he might be a third liner.

third lines are interesting and vary from team to team. RC might want his third line to have more scoring punch, so Kadri might be suited. RC might also what energy and defensive forwards playing on the third line. if that is the case then things might fall into place for Deschamps and not Kadri. Deschamps could be the better answer due to Toronto's recent PK woes. it's also hard to image Kadri playing on a line with McClement and Lombardi. Deschamps might be better suited with McClement. that being said it's not Deschamps right to be slotted into the 3rd line forward position. he too will have to show more than D'Amigo and Ashton.

i think we can all agree that we are in a better position prospect wise than before. all this depth and competition is a good problem to have.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:36 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed American forward Jerry D'Amigo, a sixth-round draft pick who has created first-round buzz because of his speed and rapid development.

"His ascension has been meteoric," Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke said. "He has come farther in 12 months than most players do in 36 months."

Drafted 158th in 2009, D'Amigo rocketed up the Toronto prospect list by playing a significant role in helping the USA win the gold medal at the world junior championships last winter. He also had a strong season at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), registering 10 goals and 24 assists for 34 points in 35 games.

Listed at 195 pounds last season, he has bulked up to 210 this offseason.

"His greatest asset is his hockey sense," Burke said. "He has a high hockey IQ."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...prospect_N.htm

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2010/0...e-of-the-year/

Quote:
Leaf prospect Jerry D’Amigo continues to build on a tremendous 2009-2010 campaign, taking home rookie of the year honours for the ECAC Hockey conference. Union College’s Keith Kinkaid and Harvard University’s Louis Leblanc were the two other finalists.
Let's pretend he was a 1st. round pick.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

And to think we got Deschamps for Caputi...

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 04:33 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
And to think we got Deschamps for Caputi...

--------------
maybe people just miss Poni. the negative things said against Deschamps reflect this sometimes.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I meant in the AHL after he came from RPI. My bad on not being more specific. Yes we know he's been known as a Zach Parise Lite and you picked him

Old
10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I meant in the AHL after he came from RPI. My bad on not being more specific. Yes we know he's been known as a Zach Parise Lite and you picked him
Someone has to balance out the love-affairs certain players get around here!

You must remember Stempniak?

Old
10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Was the Marlies PK any good?

I've heard it was pretty good and D'Amigo was part of that?

Is that true?

I've heard D'Amigo does what coach asks, and can play anywhere.

Are we looking at a top 6 or bottom 6 forward?

If he's a bottom 6 forward, how would playing him on the 4th. line with PK duties stunt his development?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Same question. How does playing in the AHL stunt his development?

Can he learn defencive positioning in the AHL or NHL?

Can he learn to score in the NHL or AHL?
D'amigo was one part of one of the most deadly PKS in the AHL him and Abbott were amazing at killing PKS but were also quick to spring a 2-1 by rushing. Was great to watch. If we have any room I would love to give D'amigo a shot but seriously we do not have much room at the moment.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:12 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
D'amigo was one part of one of the most deadly PKS in the AHL him and Abbott were amazing at killing PKS but were also quick to spring a 2-1 by rushing. Was great to watch. If we have any room I would love to give D'amigo a shot but seriously we do not have much room at the moment.
D'Amigo and Greg Scott were the main PK duo.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:13 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Deschamps scored 1 goal and a +3 rating.

keep up the good work.

go LEAFS go

um

Marlies

Old
11-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Deschamps scored 1 goal and a +3 rating.

keep up the good work.

go LEAFS go

um

Marlies
3 points in 11 games...BUST!

His game is coming around again, he still isn't going as he was last year. However the team in general is starting to gel out finally. We finally have a solid young line with Colborne, Kadri and Scott. I hope D'amigo and Deschamp find the right crew as well.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:45 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

If it was up to me, this would be our lineup.

Lups-Grabs-Kess
JVR- Bozak- Mac
Kulemin-Colborne-Frattin
Brown-Komarov-D'Amigo

Fail for Nate. Trade Connolly.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
What's with the bump? (Looks up). Oh.