HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Team Staff Salary Cuts & Layoffs (MOD: and local city impacts from lockout)

Old
09-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Like Kaphis points out in his eloquent post, I don't think you can make this claim at all.
Of course I can. It's my opinion. I happen to believe that the players are primarily interested in their wallets just as much as the owners are in theirs, neither side particularly cares about the other, and neither side cares at all about the fans.

Quote:
The business is sports entertainment. I think both sides will try to get as much as they can, but I hope they realize that the best solution will leave both sides content and that the agreement addresses each sides needs and concerns.
I certainly don't see much indication of this so far.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:55 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://www.theprovince.com/business/...006/story.html

Vancouver cutting staff to 4 day work weeks (IOW 20% cut), including mascot Fin.

(FTR, I think the Sharks mascot SJ Sharkie is so busy with charity and paid appearances, I can't see his workload nor income reducing. He's on twitter like daily spouting off his schedule. Today includes 3-4 events, including a wedding.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 12:47 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I am guessing you don't have a wife or kids or own a house.

Those three things = financial devastation.
or his wife works full time. Wont go into my details, but I had a job that paid in that range for a few years and 65k out you in a higher tax brackets and when factor in kids and a wife I find it hard to believe a person could save that in 5 years unless

1) Wife works and he is factoring the money she contributes
2) Lives at home or house bought by parents
3) Has no kids
4) Does not have a girlfriend or any friends and never goes out

if you are on 65k a year you are either paying a mortgage or rent that put a dent into your account

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Fenway

vCash: 700
How many on HF will lose income/employment because of the lockout?

To me the biggest losers in this dispute are the thousands of people who make a good part of their income working at hockey games.

We are talking broadcasters, technicians, arena employees and service people hired at places near arenas. This is money that can't be recovered.

One industry hard hit are the television production truck companies. Broadcasters for the most part do not own the trucks to produce the games but instead hire private companies to provide the equipment and crews. The problem is trucks are reserved months in advance and of course if there are no games the trucks stay parked. These companies invested millions to upgrade to high-definition and banks expect to get paid. The lost season caused several companies to fold and it will happen again with a long stoppage.

My company feels that if NBC loses the Black Friday game (Rangers at Boston) the season will be lost.

Workers at TD Garden KNEW there would be a lockout back on September 4th when workers were told not to turn on the ice.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
JohnWayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
To me the biggest losers in this dispute are the thousands of people who make a good part of their income working at hockey games.

We are talking broadcasters, technicians, arena employees and service people hired at places near arenas. This is money that can't be recovered.

One industry hard hit are the television production truck companies. Broadcasters for the most part do not own the trucks to produce the games but instead hire private companies to provide the equipment and crews. The problem is trucks are reserved months in advance and of course if there are no games the trucks stay parked. These companies invested millions to upgrade to high-definition and banks expect to get paid. The lost season caused several companies to fold and it will happen again with a long stoppage.

My company feels that if NBC loses the Black Friday game (Rangers at Boston) the season will be lost.

Workers at TD Garden KNEW there would be a lockout back on September 4th when workers were told not to turn on the ice.

Goes beyond that. Teams had back of house position that would need to be filled prior to the pre season starting and other positions that needed to be filled mid-august. I know at Rexhall here in Edmonton some of the seasonal workers who work in and around the arena were told back in August that their usual September 1st start date for retraining and training. My understanding in talking with a few people who work at Rexhall, they are saying that they have been told that unless they also work for the Oil Kings it is doubtful that they will have games the rest of this year. I get the feeling to save money teams did not fill all the empty position just in case this happened and to fill this jobs in themselves could take a bit of time. I truly believe there will be no hockey this year:again

JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:57 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-20-employees/

Blues made 20 layoffs last week and told all other staffers their salary and/or hours would be cut.

Edit: http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...9bb30f31a.html
Local story

Last edited by LadyStanley: 09-25-2012 at 07:20 PM.
cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

<---- Works part-time for an NHL team.

The mood at work is ..depressing. I work for a team that is in very good financial health but there's nothing the team can do. They just can't give me money for not working. I had 14 days I was scheduled to work in October, but if the games aren't played, I'm working 2 days. You can see how this effects my income.

Luckily I'm single, no kids with no mortgage, but alot of my co-workers do have all of those. And they are hurting.

I've begun making plans to find another job to fill all the work I'll be missing because of this.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
or his wife works full time. Wont go into my details, but I had a job that paid in that range for a few years and 65k out you in a higher tax brackets and when factor in kids and a wife I find it hard to believe a person could save that in 5 years unless

1) Wife works and he is factoring the money she contributes
2) Lives at home or house bought by parents
3) Has no kids
4) Does not have a girlfriend or any friends and never goes out

if you are on 65k a year you are either paying a mortgage or rent that put a dent into your account
lol, let's just say for the sake of argument the guy's living off the equivalent of a 40K / year salary in order to save the 13K a year or whatever.

So you're saying someone earning 40K a year has to be single shut in who never does anything? 40K a year in a lot of places is plenty of money to live by yourself and go out a decent amount if you're single.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

ESPN_NHL 12:29pm via ESPN News What's a GM to do during a lockout? es.pn/TCrCLc

(Scout)

Old
09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.mercurynews.com/other-spo...rea-businesses

Lockout impact will hit San Jose starting Thursday night (for what should have been preseason opener).

Quote:
A sampling of restaurants and hotels near the Shark Tank indicated they already are scaling back. That doesn't surprise Scott Knies, the executive director of the San Jose Downtown Association, who said businesses typically get a 30 percent bump on game nights.
Roger Noll, a Stanford University professor emeritus and leading authority on sports economics, believes there will be a minor impact on tourism when people don't travel to San Jose to attend games. But while local fans won't be heading downtown, he said they likely will just spend their discretionary dollars elsewhere.
"Bars and restaurants near the arena suffer while businesses in other centers of entertainment do better," Noll wrote in an email.
That loss downtown could be huge. Dan Rascher, a University of San Francisco professor who conducted a 2008 economic impact study for the city, found that each Sharks game brings in $800,000 of spending outside the arena. Part of the reason, Rascher said, is only 28 percent of fans attending games live within the city limits.
San Jose's coffers also will be affected, Rascher added. He found that each game generates an average $30,000 in sales and hotel occupancy taxes.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:35 AM
ed bruin

Local Economies Damaged By The Lockout

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...121009334/1005

We have been hearing how current players are worried about salary roll back. Although I do agree with the players that once a contract is signed, that money should go to the player, but the lockout effects more than just the players.

Many local workers and arena workers are being laid off or are losing out on the cash cow of the NHL. In the article it highlights the local economic effects the Lockout has in a smaller market, Buffalo. Yet the economy has hit home as well. My friend who works at the TD Banknorth Garden (Bruins home arena) as one of the Bull Gang members (people who set up the arena) has been feeling the effect of the Lockout. Each member is payed based on the number of events they work at. Since the Lockout is lowering the number events, the members are having their salary reduced. But in preparation of the lockout many member of the Bull Gang have already been laid off or are now currently looking for second or third jobs...

Remember that when there is Lockout, not only the players lose out. The whole city does...

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/173745791.html

St Paul's mayor is joined by business leaders and employees to talk about impact of lockout (video).

Old
10-12-2012, 11:07 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/11/...than-just-fans

Lack of games being felt in Montreal.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:38 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/11/apathy-1-nhl-0

The story from Ottawa.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/174049481.html

Another story from St Paul

Old
10-14-2012, 11:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...s_local_a.html

And Newark

Old
10-14-2012, 11:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...r-from-lockout

And Vancouver.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Update from San Jose as November games are cancelled

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...or-businesses/
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...nhl?source=rss

Concern from SJ downtown businesses with lockout. Sharks STH (most of 'em) start to get refunds.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...740/story.html

Phoenix's manager of media relations laid off.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

"The NHL destroyed my business" - Youtube video.

This guy makes a youtube video about how the lockout is killing his hockey-related business. Hopefully this video goes around so the players and owners really know that other people are hurting because of this lockout too.

p.s. if a mod can embed this for me that'd be great. i don't know how lol

Last edited by Fugu: 11-13-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: done
Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:04 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
This guy makes a youtube video about how the lockout is killing his hockey-related business. Hopefully this video goes around so the players and owners really know that other people are hurting because of this lockout too.

p.s. if a mod can embed this for me that'd be great. i don't know how lol
I feel bad for people trying to make a living off the NHL. The league has done such a piss-poor job of protecting ANY of it's non-team-affiliated retailers (that is to say, retailers not affiliated with the league, like NHL.com, or it's teams, like team-stores in the arenas).

Neither the league nor Reebok have bothered to regulate the surge of knockoff jerseys, and as a result, retail sales of jerseys are down over 50% in many areas, specifically in private stores. As well, the league doesn't see fit to protect any of it's independent retailers: it's not uncommon for companies like Reebok to charge "official" retailers (NHL.com, etc...) less for products than they charge to independents. With Reebok specifically, they have multi-tiered "programs" for vendors, in which higher tiered members (the ones that are league-linked) have exclusives and lower prices. It's near impossible for independent shops to compete on an even playing field: they either need to charge more to ensure the same profit margin, or sell at par with everyone else and take a hit on their profits in comparison. It's also much more difficult to deal with them on returns/ faulty merchandise as an independent. And the NHL couldn't care less as long as they get their cheques. Yes, this is an indictment of Reebok, but the league is partially responsible by turning a blind eye to it all. Guilty by association.

Sprinkle in labor strife twice in 8 years, and I can see why there are fewer and fewer independent sports shops around than there was when I was a kid.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Dream Big

I hate knock off jersey's. Players should refuse to sign them. The NHL or Reebok should be doing more to chase the counterfeits and put a stop to them.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:28 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Regarding knock off merchandise...

I have posted a number of stories over the years here on BOH of US and Canadian officials confiscating NHL counterfeit merchandise.

So, there is some investigation and prosecution.

(I know there was a street vendor selling "looks like" merchandise down the street from the Sharks arena during the last playoff, but they were not violating any trademarks, had business license, so they could not be shut down. IOW, they had tshirts with colors/symbols that supported team/vilified opponent without using any specific trademarks. Some actually quite good/nice designs.)

Old
11-13-2012, 05:01 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
You'd hope that the rest of the organizations follow suit. It would be a nightmare to be laid off from your job because of this situation.

Here's the part of this CBA negotiation that is largely ignored: it hurts real people. The average person with a salary or full time position with the team will feel this, this doesn't just affect millionaires.
Do you think the PA really cares about others losing their jobs? Hell their going overseas now taking jobs away from other who needs it just to feed their families.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
brom7

Lockout Starting to Affect the "Small People"

[mod: video already posted in thread]

I do a lot of reading on this site and not a lot of posting. I've seen you guys talk a lot about how this lockout affects more than just the NHLPA and the NHL. So, here's a video I found of an example of this. Just something I thought I'd share. Thoughts?

Go P-Bruins!

Last edited by mouser: 11-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.
brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote