HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN: Brampton Battalion relocation proves Toronto isn't a hockey town

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
  #351
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Are Toronto fans under the impression that the team in Ottawa's called the Strawmans all of a sudden? Say "lol, at least we're not Ottawa," isn't doing anything other than making you look juvenile.

And this is still going on? Man, more people have probably been to this topic then that hack of an initial article to begin with....
This whole thread is one giant strawman so people respond accordingly.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
  #352
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I haven't missed that point, that's why I called it a pissing match. For so many people who want to get on their high horse and declare themselves the judge of what a true hockey market or true hockey fans are all about, it doesn't reflect well that you'd spend any great deal of time giving attention to an author that uses hockey as a way to fuel negativity towards a city rather than actually talk about the hockey team in question.

And to that point, it's simply not worth arguing with those kind of people over the matter especially for 14 pages.
Fair enough. I agree.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
  #353
ckg927
Registered User
 
ckg927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Mississauga is still mostly whites. Brampton on the other hand is not.
And plus, no one cares about juniors when you have a NHL team.
Gee, try telling that to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. They care. Granted, it's not the same situation than Toronto-which is Leafs obsessed, and doesn't care about much else. (More so this year, since both sides in the lockout have decided to act like little brats rather than grown men.)

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
  #354
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Orkney Islands
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
lol, coming from Ottawa? Really?

Easily the worst hockey market in Canada.
You mean the one that supports an NHL team (6th overall in NHL attendance last season) and two junior teams?

Quote:
Just look at your season tix situation compared to any other Canadian market.
And that's relevant how? Look at the attendance numbers since they're the important ones.


Quote:
As well as your history of bankruptcy.
It's far less embarrassing than your team's history of sexually abusing boys.

Quote:
As well as how there are more Leafs and Habs fans in your very own market.
Maybe they'd rather live in a hockey town instead of Toronto.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
  #355
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Are Toronto fans under the impression that the team in Ottawa's called the Strawmans all of a sudden? Say "lol, at least we're not Ottawa," isn't doing anything other than making you look juvenile.

And this is still going on? Man, more people have probably been to this topic then that hack of an initial article to begin with....
I must have hit a nerve.

I am not so sure what the big deal is.

Toronto has a lot of great things going for it.

Hockey just doesn't happen to be one of them.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
  #356
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
To suggest that a league that produces so much top end talent for the NHL is nothing more than a fringe league is simply ignorant.

Look, if you're not interested in where NHL players come from or how they hone and develop their talents, that's fine, but your apathy is simply not reflective of a HOCKEY FAN.

If Rimouski were Mississauga, would GTA "hockey fans" have ventured to the fringes of the hockey universe to watch Sidney Crosby? Or would there likely have been too many other things to do to even bother?

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
  #357
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I must have hit a nerve.

I am not so sure what the big deal is.
Apparently. I thought we were all on here because we liked hockey. Now it's being used as an insult...."Oh, your city is sooooooo boring all you have to do there is watch hockey".

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
  #358
Lilou
t-.-t
 
Lilou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scarborough, ON
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
These sen fans are something else. It's all good when you're piling on TO for supposedly being the worst hockey market in the world but you can't take it in return? You don't need us to tell you Ottawa is a bad hockey town and a boring city. It's a fact. When your owner pulls a full page ad in the paper, holds a press conference, and begs fans to come to Sens games or the team. Says something about your fanbase. Wasn't that long ago that this happened. Ottawa is not a hockey town, period.


Last edited by Lilou: 11-13-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
  #359
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Gee, try telling that to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. They care. Granted, it's not the same situation than Toronto-which is Leafs obsessed, and doesn't care about much else. (More so this year, since both sides in the lockout have decided to act like little brats rather than grown men.)
Yeah I don't know here, I'm not all that familiar with the GTA region. The Vancouver Giants are a big success, but what if we tried putting other Junior teams in Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey, etc? Some places would work, but others would be a miss. Actually now that I think about it there used to be another WHL team over in Chilliwack. That's an hour away from Vancouver but still it's a 'mostly white' city.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  #360
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I agree. I feel really bad for kids growing up in Toronto.

When I grew up, I had Sundin and Carter to cheer for. The Sundin era was what made me a die-hard Leafs fan.

Kids these days will have nothing to capture their attention. Lockouts and missing the playoffs.

Plus demographics are changing. But regardless, all our teams suck. Raptors have been lost in the woods since Bosh left; Leafs had a tragic collapse last year; the Jays haven't made the playoffs since who knows when [although Bautista is generating some buzz]; and Toronto FC is the worst team in the MLS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
The Leafs had a modicum of success, I think they could easily maintain their position.
Blue Jays win something within the next 3 years the Leafs will be in big trouble.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  #361
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,279
vCash: 500
I can't believe I agree with HC101 but who cares if Toronto isn't a "hockey town?" Toronto is in the big leagues with 2 other major sports franchises! Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton? Three of the worst sports towns in the nation. No other teams from the big 4. Toronto has other things to do.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:12 PM
  #362
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I must have hit a nerve.

I am not so sure what the big deal is.

Toronto has a lot of great things going for it.

Hockey just doesn't happen to be one of them.
Is your reason for saying that because Toronto hasn't made the Playoffs since 2004? Then what about other markets like Edmonton and Calgary? They haven't made the Playoffs since 2006 (Edmonton) and 2008 (Calgary). So are they no longer Hockey markets because of the lack of success from their NHL teams or do they not count because their WHL teams are doing alright?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
  #363
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
The Marlies are averaging 6,084 per game which puts them 9th in the AHL in attendance this season, and last season they averaged 5,480 per game which put them 14th. No team in the AHL averages 10,000 per game.

As for Brampton moving proves Toronto isn't a hockey town? The driving distance between the Hershey Center (Steelheads Arena) and Powerade Center (Battalion Arena) is 6.4km!!!! Too much hockey in too small an area.
And the GTA has about 5 million people? Four games doesn't make a good sample for the season. I think Toronto is a Leafs town. The AHL ASG draw 7800 few years ago, Hershey drew over 10,000 last year, nearly equal to the town's population.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:51 PM
  #364
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I must have hit a nerve.

I am not so sure what the big deal is.

Toronto has a lot of great things going for it.

Hockey just doesn't happen to be one of them.
Its not because you hit a nerve, its because of the ignorance in your post. Reply to this with a rational response and ill accept defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Its because Ottawa is a dull city and people need to entertain themselves I swear worst city ive ever visited (sorry im not exaggerating though, even went during winterlude and it was dull). Not to mention, its small and theres no traffic so people have a mode of transportation to get to the outskirts (Just think Downtown Toronto to Brampton is about 2 times the drive from Ottawa to Kanata), and doing 40 kms by public transportation is no easy task. The commute just is not fesible, not to mention its competeing with 6 professional leauges while in Ottawa there is only 1, and is 6 kms away from rivials Mississauga there by splitting the local community. All factors considered, there is no shot in hell it would last no matter the market.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
  #365
mikeo1
Registered User
 
mikeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 500
people in big cities dont care about minor league sports.

in other news, the ocean is wet.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:16 PM
  #366
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I can't believe I agree with HC101 but who cares if Toronto isn't a "hockey town?" Toronto is in the big leagues with 2 other major sports franchises! Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton? Three of the worst sports towns in the nation. No other teams from the big 4. Toronto has other things to do.
Attendance

Raptors:
20th
19th
17th
17th

Jays:
23rd
25th
26th
22nd

People in Toronto have other things to do but going to Jays or Raptors games is not one of those things.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
  #367
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
people in big cities dont care about minor league sports.

in other news, the ocean is wet.
Best part is the GTA still manages to keep 2 OHL teams afloat, 1 folds (that was in direct competition to another within WALKING distance) and suddenly Toronto (not the GTA in general), or more specifically Leaf fans, arent "real hockey fans".

Sometimes the rationalization amazes me.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:34 PM
  #368
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17
 
Jesus Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
Not gonna comment on Toronto being a "hockey town" and all that, but i'm gonna be pretty bummed when the Battalion leave and probably changer their name. One of my favorite Junior teams. Unique name, Alliteration, and cool jerseys.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:00 AM
  #369
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I can't believe I agree with HC101 but who cares if Toronto isn't a "hockey town?" Toronto is in the big leagues with 2 other major sports franchises! Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton? Three of the worst sports towns in the nation. No other teams from the big 4. Toronto has other things to do.
I don't really care about whether Toronto is a hockey town, but since we're on a hockey board, I'll say it matters even less whether Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have "major sports franchises". Are you a general sports fan who just watches stuff because it's on TV, has lots of coverage and there's a lot of other people into it, or are you a hockey fan? If the latter, I don't see why you would even care whether another town is a "sports town" or not. And saying they're three of the worst sports towns in the nations is a bit of an exaggeration, no? I don't know about Calgary and Vancouver, but there's no shortage of sports in Edmonton.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:38 AM
  #370
TheFinalWord
Registered User
 
TheFinalWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
I live in the GTA and have been to hundres of OHL games and feel quite confident in saying that Toronto is not a hockey town. It is a Leaf town and Leaf fans are the best in the NHL imo.

But Toronto has never supported a hockey team that wasn't a national team or the Leafs. The Majors couldn't even fill out their tiny arena and justify building a new one. Mississauga and Brampton have both done poorly for most of their existence. The RoadRunners folded quickly. The Marlies haven't done well (I'm not sure about this year, but in past years attendance has been poor) and even the OJHL has been contracting with 2 GTA teams recently folding.

Using Oshawa as an example of a GTA team being supported is a credit to people living in and around Oshawa. Is anyone really trying to insinuate that the majority of fans at Generals' games are from Scarborough west?

Toronto doesn't support hockey that isn't the Leafs and/or national teams and the proof is in the pudding. I'm certainly not attacking Toronto fans (I'm one), but it's hard to dispute the facts.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:10 AM
  #371
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Is your reason for saying that because Toronto hasn't made the Playoffs since 2004?
Not at all.

I've never mentioned the Leafs' current streak of ineptitude in this entire thread, but your comment surely supports the concept that it's "all Leafs, all the time" in Toronto when it comes to hockey.

You can't even read my posts without seeing "Leafs" in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx
Its because Ottawa is a dull city and people need to entertain themselves I swear worst city ive ever visited (sorry im not exaggerating though, even went during winterlude and it was dull)
So you agree that Ottawa is a hockey town and Toronto isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx
Best part is the GTA still manages to keep 2 OHL teams afloat, 1 folds (that was in direct competition to another within WALKING distance) and suddenly Toronto (not the GTA in general), or more specifically Leaf fans, arent "real hockey fans".
I never said anything about Leaf fans or the Leafs in general. Re-read my posts.

Toronto, considering its size, does not support hockey to the same degree as most other major Canadian cities.

That's all I've said. I also said that I'm sure there are many reasons, but that this doesn't change the underlying fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx
Not to mention, its small and theres no traffic so people have a mode of transportation to get to the outskirts (Just think Downtown Toronto to Brampton is about 2 times the drive from Ottawa to Kanata), and doing 40 kms by public transportation is no easy task.
No traffic? Speaking of ignorance.

The biggest thing that the Senators have going against them is the location of their arena.

It's at the extreme Western edge of the city, meaning that everyone has to go West to get there, on a 3/2 lane highway.

But I'm glad to finally see sympathy from a Leaf fan on how commutes can have an impact on attendance.

It's 26 km from downtown to the arena, but when I lived in Orleans, it was 38.3 km.

The Sens haven't folded yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilou
These sen fans are something else. It's all good when you're piling on TO for supposedly being the worst hockey market in the world but you can't take it in return? When your owner pulls a full page ad in the paper, holds a press conference, and begs fans to come to Sens games or the team. Says something about your fanbase. Wasn't that long ago that this happened. Ottawa is not a hockey town, period.
What's funny is that in 2007-2008, Ottawa outdrew the Leafs.

3 Ottawa 41 812,665 19,821 107.1
5 Toronto 41 796,803 19,434 103.4

Even last season (2011-2012):

5 Toronto 41 799,786 19,506 103.7 41
6 Ottawa 41 793,612 19,356 101.1 41

OMG! It must be all those Leaf fans coming to ALL of our home games.

At the same time, Ottawa is also supporting two junior teams. And that's with 1/5 or 1/6 of the population.

But you guys keep believing whatever it is they tell you in that media bubble known as the GTA.


Last edited by NyQuil: 11-14-2012 at 07:23 AM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
  #372
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Attendance

Raptors:
20th
19th
17th
17th

Jays:
23rd
25th
26th
22nd

People in Toronto have other things to do but going to Jays or Raptors games is not one of those things.
And where's your NBA and MLB team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't really care about whether Toronto is a hockey town, but since we're on a hockey board, I'll say it matters even less whether Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have "major sports franchises". Are you a general sports fan who just watches stuff because it's on TV, has lots of coverage and there's a lot of other people into it, or are you a hockey fan? If the latter, I don't see why you would even care whether another town is a "sports town" or not. And saying they're three of the worst sports towns in the nations is a bit of an exaggeration, no? I don't know about Calgary and Vancouver, but there's no shortage of sports in Edmonton.
My point is, ultimately. These cities have more hockey teams. Toronto has more other teams. Besides not everyone is interested in sports or hockey to begin with. In fact prior to some beliefs here Sports is not that popular.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
  #373
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
The Brampton Battalion play in the middle of nowhere, I don't even think you can get there on a bus. You can't walk there, since the powerade center is nearly in meadowvale.

They should have built the arena in the ever expanding north end, not stuffed into a corner of industrial area bordering Mississauga. You know you have problems when another OHL team is closer (6km) than most of the population of your own city.

There are tons of hockey fans in Caledon/Orangeville and the location of the arena doubles the time it would take to get there for them. So most of them remained Guelph Storm fans. That isn't the whole problem but it contributes.

The Battalion play boring trap hockey, have little involvement in the community, the convenience of watching them on rogers local tv always trumps the inconvenience of trying to get to powerade center. The end.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
  #374
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
LMAO. okay then.
Brampton is filled with immigrants mostly and not to mention among the "desi" or immigrant families, they tend to pick up some sports such as basketball or soccer for the MLS than hockey. True story, surrounded by brown people while being the main brown boy into hockey.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
  #375
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, that's why it's empty when the Leafs aren't in town.

The difference being that the Gatineau Olympiques and the Ottawa 67s also draw well.

And that's because Ottawa is a hockey town, while Toronto isn't.

I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons why hockey (aside from the Leafs) doesn't really matter much in the Big Smoke, but the fact remains that it doesn't.
...and then people forget the GTHL.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.