HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Team Staff Salary Cuts & Layoffs (MOD: and local city impacts from lockout)

Old
11-13-2012, 05:40 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OduyaLaichBoyes View Post
I do a lot of reading on this site and not a lot of posting. I've seen you guys talk a lot about how this lockout affects more than just the NHLPA and the NHL. So, here's a video I found of an example of this. Just something I thought I'd share. Thoughts?

Go P-Bruins!
fixed the link for you. I do agree that the arena workers, business owners, etc. are too often blown over in lockouts unfortunately.

Last edited by mouser: 11-13-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Video already posted in thread
The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Puckclektr

Doesn't really affect me as I have a well paying job. BUt the money I make from buying and selling sport collectibles helps to pay for my kids extra-curricular activities. Hockey, music, swimming skating etc.
AS for a family member who owns a sports store, sales are down so much that he is in the red and isn't bringing enough money to put food on the table after he pays all his bills.

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
Doesn't really affect me as I have a well paying job. BUt the money I make from buying and selling sport collectibles helps to pay for my kids extra-curricular activities. Hockey, music, swimming skating etc.
AS for a family member who owns a sports store, sales are down so much that he is in the red and isn't bringing enough money to put food on the table after he pays all his bills.
This is the stuff you don't like to hear...the lockout is far reaching, and it's a shame that the two sides who control so much money, and a part of the NA economy and culture in some markets can't make an agreement that can take care of both sides, for the next 6-7 yrs....

The fans and the small guys lose big time here...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Deuce Awesome

My wife works for a small company that deals with putting NHL merchandise on the shelves off some recognizable canadian retail chains. Needless to say that noone wants anything right now NHL. Im hoping that there will be no job losses at her place of employment, but I know that things have just gotten better from the last lockout.
This one might be worse.

Her boss honestly thought that there was going to be a deal because "too much was invested in the winter classic"

Sad really how the trickle down from the billionaires vs millionaires filters down to us common folk.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Jigger77

We need more of these. Thanks for posting.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

I thought the video was good until he started begging for money, that's just pathetic. You start a business and you assume all the risks. Did he share his profits with the NHL when he was doing well?

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Soundwave

I feel bad for that guy, but honestly as a fan, I will watch the NHL when it comes back, but I don't intend to buy any merchandise for a long while.

Done with the jerseys and t-shirts and caps and all that.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
throatguzzler

Begging for money now? Cry me a river.

throatguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...Top+Stories%29

Nashville feeling the pinch.

Restaurant adjacent to arena looking at 50% loss of business (from non-games).

Quote:
While some of that impact has been buffered by other events that have lured people downtown, bars and restaurants on the popular strip have their fingers crossed that the dispute will end before the slower winter months.

In recent years, Predators games have been a boon for restaurants and bars in the area as visiting teams and fans have flooded the area with business. The games generate an annual economic impact of about $410 million in job creation and spending, according to a study commissioned and paid for by the team. Those games and other arena events such as concerts pump $91 million a year in spending at retailers and restaurants downtown, the study showed.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:57 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Lockout prompts Wild to cut employees' pay by 20 percent

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...1.html?refer=y

Quote:
The vast majority of the 200-person staff was informed that it will begin four-day, 32-hour work weeks that will reduce salaries by 20 percent. In order to alleviate the stress heading into the holiday shopping season, employees won't feel losses for the first time until after Christmas.

Previously, the only Wild employees to receive cuts in base pay were those making more than $70,000 a year, and that was a 30 or 35 percent reduction to the compensation over that $70,000 threshold. Those employees include executives on the business side and management, coaches, trainers and broadcasters on the hockey operations side.

Some of these employees now will receive pay reductions significantly greater than 20 percent after Christmas.

Wild employees who make parts of their salary off commission have been severely hurt throughout the lockout. In addition, there are 500-plus part-timers who work in the arena during games that have lost significant pay.

That includes security, ushers, concierges and concession workers. The lockout has hampered local businesses, police officers who work overtime, parking venders, bus companies and area hotels. The list goes on and on.

Wild owner Craig Leipold is one of four NHL owners on the NHL's negotiating committee, joining counterparts from Boston, Calgary and Washington. The Wild spent to the salary cap ceiling in three of the past four years and had the second-highest cap hit heading into the 2012-13 season after signing Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to identical 13-year, $98 million deals July 4. Each received $10 million signing bonuses.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:34 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

dshoalts 6:59am via TweetDeck Minnesota Wild boss to staff after cutting pay 20%: "Our whole philosophy is we're all in this together." Yep, we all wanted this lockout.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:33 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410922

Drinking establishments down 35% near Canadian arenas. Restaurants 11%.

Meanwhile, merchants further away from arenas are up more than 5%.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

NHL, NHLPA don't seem to care how their actions impact the Christmas of others

By Tim Cornett

As the NHL lockout drags on, I canít help but wonder how the people who work in businesses that depend on it are coping. Think about the number of people who are employed by NHL teams who work the concession stands, parking lots and box offices who are currently unemployed. Letís not forget all of those who work in related businesses - restaurants, bars, and sporting goods stores.
As the NHL lockout drags on, I canít help but wonder how the people who work in businesses that depend on it are coping. Think about the number of people who are employed by NHL teams who work the concession stands, parking lots and box offices who are currently unemployed. Letís not forget all of those who work in related businesses - restaurants, bars, and sporting goods stores.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/SN0069.php

OurHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Swarez

To me this is a weak argument.

Our family has season tickets to the Leafs, sure we are not spending our money at ACC etc, but the money is still being spent. It is just being moved from ACC/related to Mall/Vacation related. Someone is still going to benefit. The money has just moved, has not shrunk.

For others who aren't spending there savings from no NHL, nothing wrong with saving.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

I guess a far better idea would be to run the league into the ground and eliminate those jobs altogether.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Butch 19
King me

... those pesky deadlines eh, Mr. Cornett...?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
TOML

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
They're lockin' down the hockey arena across the railroad tracks
Bettman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back
to our hometown
Our hometown

-The Boss

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Think about how much money fans save on tickets, parking, beer and concessions, random apparel, etc.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
To me this is a weak argument.

Our family has season tickets to the Leafs, sure we are not spending our money at ACC etc, but the money is still being spent. It is just being moved from ACC/related to Mall/Vacation related. Someone is still going to benefit. The money has just moved, has not shrunk.

For others who aren't spending there savings from no NHL, nothing wrong with saving.
Keep this in mind next time a team owner comes calling, wanting the public to finance an arena with the promise of benefits to local businesses.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Keep this in mind next time a team owner comes calling, wanting the public to finance an arena with the promise of benefits to local businesses.
I live in Toronto, teams have stopped asking a while ago.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
This is something I've thought about - as much as I favour the use of public money to help fund arenas, I wouldn't begrudge any politician that points to these work stoppages (and the media posturing that goes on instead of actual negotiating) as a damn good reason not to put out any money.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
This is something I've thought about - as much as I favour the use of public money to help fund arenas, I wouldn't begrudge any politician that points to these work stoppages (and the media posturing that goes on instead of actual negotiating) as a damn good reason not to put out any money.
That's a good reason too... I was referring to Swarez99's point that most people have a relatively fixed amount of money to spend on entertainment. Building an arena and getting a pro sports team pushes that entertainment money in a certain direction. NOT building the arena and instead building a park, or funding libraries, or simply reducing taxes... those things just push entertainment dollars in a different direction. The arena doesn't create very much value -- though in fairness it does create a little -- it mostly just shifts entertainment dollars from one place to another.

Owners love to act like arenas profit the public in the big picture. That's not entirely true, especially at their current price tags. The real "profit" is simply at a cultural level of having a new thing to be interested in.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:16 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

LOL we are so culturally addicted to Christmas when even the NHL labor negotiations have to be thought of from the Christmas angle. What does Santa Claus think about the mediation process? Let's see if we can get a box of candy canes worked into this deal!

**** the NHL, **** Christmas.

Last edited by haseoke39: 12-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Local glaziers made lots of money due to the Vancouver Canucks in 2011.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 262
Rich people not caring about other people's well-being?

Well, color me shocked.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote