HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLB Off-Season Thread | Jays Acquire Dickey From Mets

Old
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
MLB Off-Season Thread | Jays Acquire Dickey From Mets

Bluejays just made one of the most ridiculous trades I have ever seen.

Toronto Blue Jays Receive:
Jose Reyes, SS
Josh Johnson, RHP
Mark Buehrle, LHP
Emilio Bonifacio, INF/OF
John Buck, C
4 million dollars

Miami Marlins Receive:
Henderson Alvarez, RHP
Yunel Escobar, SS
Adeiny Hechavarria, 2B/SS
Justin Nicolino, LHP
Jake Marisnick, OF
Jeff Mathis, C
Anthony DeScalfani, RHP

Last edited by Lucbourdon: 11-13-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

I don't know any of those players
are they better than Barry Bonds?

John Swartzwelder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
I really like Alvarez and the little I've seen of Hechavarria but this is obviously huge for the Jays. The Yankees and Redsox are ripe for the picking, it's the perfect time to put this together.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I really like Alvarez and the little I've seen of Hechavarria but this is obviously huge for the Jays. The Yankees and Redsox are ripe for the picking, it's the perfect time to put this together.
That's why they are doing this now I think. Should be fun to watch Jays baseball again. This makes them exponentially better.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Jose Reyes should be a key part of our team, both offensively and defensively. Plus we address our need of pitchers by aqquiring Josh Johnson and more notably Mark Buehrle. Really, REALLY, Like this trade.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Moore Money

Blue Jays huge trade!

This deserves its own thread.

The Blue Jays just acquired Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Josh Motherfckn Johnson. AA is the MAN!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409433

Discuss!

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
I am freakin' stoked. Screw the whole Toronto hate thing, but I love the Jays and I am so happy. Obviously there's some considerable risks, but damnit, this team needed to make a statement after several disappointing years that began with a lot of promise and hope.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:24 PM
StringerBell

Coincidentally happen to be two of my favourite pitchers in the majors. Couldn't be more excited for next season, although I'm not a big Reyes fan.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Merged the two threads, only makes sense.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Moore Money

This will go down as one of the best trades in Blue Jays history. Truly amazing! WTF is Florida thinking? who cares!

Old
11-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
This will go down as one of the best trades in Blue Jays history. Truly amazing! WTF is Florida thinking? who cares!
Literally. Even with a decked out stadium they only draw 10,000-12,000 to a game, on a good day. Reyes, Buehrle and Johnson will all have the chance to play in a baseball atmosphere and play with fans in the crowd.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Coincidentally happen to be two of my favourite pitchers in the majors. Couldn't be more excited for next season, although I'm not a big Reyes fan.
seriously? He's an amazing lead off guy. exactly what the Jays need.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Love it so much.

Baseball season can't come sooner.

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:07 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
seriously? He's an amazing lead off guy. exactly what the Jays need.
Not saying he's not a talented player, I've just never personally been a fan. I also think paying a guy who brings on average 4 WAR a season 20 million is a bit excessive. He's better than Escobar, no doubt, but not by as large a margin as the name recognition/player status would indicate.

This is a really good article on the trade that touches on my feelings concerning Reyes http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...rle/index.html

Last edited by StringerBell: 11-13-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Huh, well if you're going to fail, best to fail spectacularly.

the sickness that makes all toronto sports team unwatchable crap will take these Jays. they may hold out longer, but they will suffer, same as the rest.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:13 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Monster deal. Takes a lot of pressure off the other Jays starters, especially Romero, probably exactly what he needs. They'll still need to stay healthy if they want to get anywhere, but this can only help.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:52 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Not saying he's not a talented player, I've just never personally been a fan. I also think paying a guy who brings on average 4 WAR a season 20 million is a bit excessive. He's better than Escobar, no doubt, but not by as large a margin as the name recognition/player status would indicate.

This is a really good article on the trade that touches on my feelings concerning Reyes http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...rle/index.html
Reyes is a HUGE upgrade on Escobar...he won the batting title 2 seasons ago, steals 40 bags in his sleep and gets on base....the blue jays have a great clubhouse full of Latin Americans...I think this is a tremendous move.

The pitchers acquired will also take pressure off Romero And Morrow, and should also help hem develop their stuff learning from these type of veterans.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

I have no problem with anything we gave up, I need to research the contracts (duration not $) before I petition the Queen to knight AA. Wow, if the jays can replace Lind and Davis and if Santos stays healthy, I would put money down in Vegas on the jays making the playoffs.

Shhhh though don't tell me wife, she's from SF so cheering for an AL team is blasphemy!

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:04 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Good deal for the Jays, but I'm not getting excited until I see them in the playoffs. I remember at the start of this baseball season, people were expecting them to make the playoffs, and look what happened. I know health was a fairly big factor, but still.

I'm excited about the deal, but until the Jays can do something with it and become a threat, then I'll be pleased. I think the people that I've seen on Twitter, on the TSN comments etc calling them contenders all of a sudden is getting ahead of ourselves here. Doesn't matter how good you look on paper.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:21 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Reyes is a HUGE upgrade on Escobar...
I hope so, but I think I'll need to see it to believe it. Looking at their career averages they have remarkably similar per-game numbers outside of steals, with most of the differences in Reyes' favour, except Reyes makes triple what Escobar earns. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the deal, I'm just saying the upgrade we're getting is coming predominantly in the rotation, not at shortstop. Agree to disagree if you want.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:48 AM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

vCash: 883
This is how far we've fallen. A Blue Jays trade merits not only one but two threads here.

Please hockey gods, bring the NHL back. Please.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Hammer79

Pitching was already a weak spot for the Blue Jays, and when the injury bug hit, they went from a slightly above .500 team with an outside wild card chance to a team that badly tanked during a 25+ game span and never recovered. This team has a couple of good sluggers in Jose Bautista and Enwin Encarbacion to build around, and now they also have a base-stealing potential all star shortstop. They also pick up two starters that will slot in at #2 and #3 in the rotation. Boston is in the tank, NY is old, Baltimore and Tampa can be caught. Now is the time to load up. This will push their payroll above $100M, so this will make or break AA.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:20 AM
blueschooler

I'm still an M's fan first, but I really hope the Blue Jays do well. Maybe its the lack of hockey, but I can't wait for baseball to come back.

blueschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:27 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
This is how far we've fallen. A Blue Jays trade merits not only one but two threads here.

Please hockey gods, bring the NHL back. Please.
I don't mind baseball, but loathe all things Toronto, and all this "we" stuff in reference to Toronto's team is nausea inducing. How exactly did they become "we"? Because they play a mere 3000 miles away? Whoop de doo. I'll cheer for Canadian players, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I care what the Blew **** or the Crapturds accomplish.

Immature? Definitely. Subject to change? Hell, no.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I don't mind baseball, but loathe all things Toronto, and all this "we" stuff in reference to Toronto's team is nausea inducing. How exactly did they become "we"? Because they play a mere 3000 miles away? Whoop de doo. I'll cheer for Canadian players, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I care what the Blew **** or the Crapturds accomplish.

Immature? Definitely. Subject to change? Hell, no.
Are you old enough to remember the '92 and '93 world series? If so, do you remember how crazy it drove the Americans that the championship team for their national pastime resided outside of the USA? Remember when the US Marines Corps flew our flag upside down during the national anthem?

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2012/06...-canadian.html

I'm anti-Maple Leafs, not anti-Toronto... I don't mind seeing the Raptors do well, and I've always put the Jays above the Mariners. The Blue Jays home market includes the entire country, which is why their games are on sportsnet coast-to-coast. The Seattle Mariners management might appreciate Canadian fans filling their stands, but if they win, they won't likely recognize their Vancouver fan base.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote