HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread Part XIV: WOO IRISH

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 06:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 500
I'm so confused in who is going to the Marlins.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:54 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

From what I'm seeing, it's not an awful deal for the Marlins, but the Blue Jays look like they're on top here.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
From what I'm seeing, it's not an awful deal for the Marlins, but the Blue Jays look like they're on top here.
^
Trading away your #1 and #2 pitchers and a good SS for nothing but prospect (Not even the best ones) and dumping nearly 80M in payroll is a joke

The Marlins lied to city of Miami/Voters when they said they needed new stadium to compete

City gave it to them and this is the thanks they get

And there best player is apparantly pissed (Young star player)

Oh and lets not overlook the fact they sent out a much talented SS who was cancer (Ramirez) and are now bringing in Escobar who is worse cancer on and off field

Old
11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Miami as a MLB market is dead ,, The fans have had enough

Doubt we see more then a few thousand fans a game if even that

And good luck ever trying to sign a FA agent (Every FA from last offseason is gone) ,, + They refuse to give out NTC because they have history of doing this

Old
11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Yeah, it's stunning. Just got millions upon millions of dollars for a new ballpark from the public and they essentially just killed their fanbase.

Hope that they've got an irontight no escape clause, because the Marlins are going to be setting all-time low attendance records starting next season. They're going to make Rays games seem packed by comparison.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:28 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
Trading away your #1 and #2 pitchers and a good SS for nothing but prospect (Not even the best ones) and dumping nearly 80M in payroll is a joke

The Marlins lied to city of Miami/Voters when they said they needed new stadium to compete

City gave it to them and this is the thanks they get

And there best player is apparantly pissed (Young star player)

Oh and lets not overlook the fact they sent out a much talented SS who was cancer (Ramirez) and are now bringing in Escobar who is worse cancer on and off field
You're not talking about dynamite #1s and #2s there. Josh Johnson has a ton of injury risk and Buehrle is a #3 with a ton of money left on his deal. They got a couple of good pieces back in Marisnick, Niccolino, and DeSclafani. I think they should have gotten more though. There's no way D'Arnaud and Sanchez should still be Jays property.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
You're not talking about dynamite #1s and #2s there. Josh Johnson has a ton of injury risk and Buehrle is a #3 with a ton of money left on his deal. They got a couple of good pieces back in Marisnick, Niccolino, and DeSclafani. I think they should have gotten more though. There's no way D'Arnaud and Sanchez should still be Jays property.
^
Its more then the prospects

They just killed off what little fanbase support they had ,, Miami is pissed after the stadium they built and the promises of Marlins ownership

And simple reality is prospects are not sure fire ,, Marlins sent out 3 good players (Johnson/Buehrle/Reyes) for nothing

Fans in Miami are sick of there franchise being a joke

Old
11-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

5 of the 6 guys in this photo are already gone ,, The 6th (Nolasco) is reportedly about to be moved as well

If Nolasco is traded that would put there payroll at under 10M ,, Example of why MLB financial model is brutal for fans

Old
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Not sure what's more sad: ownership of the team or those uniforms.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

And for the talk of "Look at these prospects going Marlins way" trying to paint this as a good move

Look no further then the Miguel Cabrera trade ,, How id Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin so called "Blue Chip cant miss" prospects work out

Old
11-13-2012, 10:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
What you seem to be failing to understand here is that they couldn't care less what they got back because they don't care about competing. This was about dumping money anyway they could.

They backloaded those deals to give the city the impression that they cared about competing and show the public that they warranted them paying for a new stadium. And then they stabbed them in the back. It's a disgrace to the sport.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
What you seem to be failing to understand here is that they couldn't care less what they got back because they don't care about competing. This was about dumping money anyway they could.

They backloaded those deals to give the city the impression that they cared about competing and show the public that they warranted them paying for a new stadium. And then they stabbed them in the back. It's a disgrace to the sport.
I was just talking about the baseball terms of the deal.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:54 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
And for the talk of "Look at these prospects going Marlins way" trying to paint this as a good move

Look no further then the Miguel Cabrera trade ,, How id Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin so called "Blue Chip cant miss" prospects work out
Miguel Cabrera was also a blue chip, can't miss prospect. It goes both ways. You act like it's a one way road.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Duke beats UK

Old
11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
I was just talking about the baseball terms of the deal.
That's my point, there are no baseball terms because Loria isn't trying to run a competitive ball club here.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:31 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
That's my point, there are no baseball terms because Loria isn't trying to run a competitive ball club here.
Well, yea. Klaw said it best in his new article, "This isn't a bad baseball deal for Miami; it's not a baseball deal at all -- it's a boondoggle."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...mi-marlins-mlb

Old
11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Yeah, that trade was CRAZY. But we knew it was going to happen, the fans didn't show up and Loria got pissed.

The thing to remember is that if you have a payroll around 10-20M, you're going to make a good profit no matter how many people show up. The Marlins model has always worked best when they brought up their prospects in waves and sold them off for new ones. They've tried big moves like Delgado and Reyes, doesn't pay off, the one great big move they made was Pudge and that was only a 1 year deal IIRC. The last thing they need to be doing is signing relievers like Bell to big deals. The whole thing last year didn't make any sense.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Illinihockey

Went from a $100 mil payroll to a $20 mil payroll...thats hilarious.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Went from a $100 mil payroll to a $20 mil payroll...thats hilarious.
It was a flawed team anyway, not nearly enough power. I'd like to see their left on base numbers from last year.

I'll look some stuff up because I'm positive it sucked.

Extra base hits, 24th in MLB

ABs per homer, 7th highest, actually a little worse than the Cubs who were 8th.

.234 average with runners in scoring postion, 26th in MLB

.241 average with any runners on, dead last in MLB

Some of it is definitely bad luck, but I still believe it was a poorly constucted team. I guess you could say they really needed LoMo to be a good cleanup hitter and that definitely did not happen.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:36 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, that trade was CRAZY. But we knew it was going to happen, the fans didn't show up and Loria got pissed.

The thing to remember is that if you have a payroll around 10-20M, you're going to make a good profit no matter how many people show up.
The Marlins model has always worked best when they brought up their prospects in waves and sold them off for new ones. They've tried big moves like Delgado and Reyes, doesn't pay off, the one great big move they made was Pudge and that was only a 1 year deal IIRC. The last thing they need to be doing is signing relievers like Bell to big deals. The whole thing last year didn't make any sense.
Given they have a brand new stadium, I don't really think that's true... Unless they paid it off in full, but I highly doubt they did that (could be wrong). I'm not sure they'll have enough ticket and concession sales to cover the salaries, and the operating costs for the staff and everything to make a profit, let alone break even.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Illinihockey

Marlins have $0 in contracts after the 2013 season

Old
11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Given they have a brand new stadium, I don't really think that's true... Unless they paid it off in full, but I highly doubt they did that (could be wrong).
They only owe $125.2 million. They scammed the city and county into paying nearly all of the $2.4 billion it cost.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
RayP

Quote:
They only owe $125.2 million. They scammed the city and county into paying nearly all of the $2.4 billion it cost.
That stadium cost 2.4 BILLION?

Jesus Christ... it looks like something a 3rd grader designed.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Well, not just the stadium itself, but that included paying all the workers, tearing down the Orange Bowl, parking structures, etc etc.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
RayP

Quote:
Well, not just the stadium itself, but that included paying all the workers, tearing down the Orange Bowl, parking structures, etc etc.
Ah, gotcha...

Looked up just the stadium cost, looks like that was $634M.

Closed Thread