HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
I would agree that drafting has to better though I do think this past years draft is probably the best in a few years 3 at least
I will still take the 2 mem cups,plus the final 4 over a few less then stellar drafts/years
Plymouth has always been competetive but can never win the biggie
I dont see that changing this year either
And next yr they lose Levi,McDonald,Aleardi,Noesen,
Rakell,Mahalak, and maybe Tom Wilson,which would really hurt
Next years roster for the whale looks bleak especially if Wilson grads early

Old
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Windsor sold their soul for 2 Memorial Cups and this is what you get.
...and, somehow, I'd do it again in a heart-beat.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
...and, somehow, I'd do it again in a heart-beat.
I would as well but not at the expense of losing a 1st rounder in 13 and 16. It's a blackmark for the franchise and will prove very difficult to move forward from.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:17 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I would as well but not at the expense of losing a 1st rounder in 13 and 16. It's a blackmark for the franchise and will prove very difficult to move forward from.
Adam Henrique, Ryan Ellis, Cal O'Reilly, Saverio Posa, Harry Young (I believe), Scott Timmins, Mark Cundari. What do they have in common?

Old
11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Adam Henrique, Ryan Ellis, Cal O'Reilly, Saverio Posa, Harry Young (I believe), Scott Timmins, Mark Cundari. What do they have in common?
They all have vowels in their name?

Old
11-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Even I'm confused as to what point you're making.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
OHLTG

Rayzor said that losing two 1st round picks is "very difficult to move forward from." The players I named were all picked outside of the first round. They were all Spitfires at some point during our Cup run (well, O'Reilly was before, but he made the NHL). It comes down to drafting, not what picks we have.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Jakey43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Please elaborate if you could. I'm just curious. Didn't know anything about that.
Vale treats everyone younger on the team like crap. Doesn't even speak to them. That's just a fact. Marchese did last year but has become better since not getting drafted. He got knocked a notch and has improved. The old guys have to be leaders for the young guys. There's no 93's to do it and the 94's aren't mature enough. There are no leaders and no identity.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Rayzor said that losing two 1st round picks is "very difficult to move forward from." The players I named were all picked outside of the first round. They were all Spitfires at some point during our Cup run (well, O'Reilly was before, but he made the NHL). It comes down to drafting, not what picks we have.
That's kind of a reach. On the 1st Memorial Cup they had Hall and Nemisz as their 1st round picks. On the 2nd Memorial Cup Hall, Nemisz, Fowler, Kassian were all 1st round OHL picks. They don't win Memorial Cups without those 1st round picks of Hall, Nemisz and Fowler.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
They all have vowels in their name?
Lol- good one too bad we dont have a player named Frk

Old
11-13-2012, 08:58 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I see what u are saying,more so for 2016 in my view,as they would probably the 2013 ist rder in a trade if they are to go for it,much like they did when they traded Brassard to win their 2nd cup
As u recall they used their 1st rd pick in 08 to select Fowler who did not play until the 2nd winning season
I still say the 2 1st rd euro picks could be very valuable especially if they do their homework unlike this past euro draft,their 1st bad one in years
If they draft a 17 year old and an 18 year old,both could be more ready then a 16 year old 1st rder

Old
11-13-2012, 09:35 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
That's kind of a reach. On the 1st Memorial Cup they had Hall and Nemisz as their 1st round picks. On the 2nd Memorial Cup Hall, Nemisz, Fowler, Kassian were all 1st round OHL picks. They don't win Memorial Cups without those 1st round picks of Hall, Nemisz and Fowler.
How is it a reach? Without the guys I mentioned, you don't win the titles. You can win a lot with Hall, Nemisz, and Fowler, but take out the supporting cast and you're done. First rounds are great, but they're not the be-all and end-all of a team. Windsor can win without firsts.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
How is it a reach? Without the guys I mentioned, you don't win the titles. You can win a lot with Hall, Nemisz, and Fowler, but take out the supporting cast and you're done. First rounds are great, but they're not the be-all and end-all of a team. Windsor can win without firsts.
They did in 08 when Fowler was drafted and did not report,again in 2009 when they drafted Brassard and dealt him to Belleville
I think Rayzor meant not having those 1st rder either for trading or developemental purposes

Old
11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
They did in 08 when Fowler was drafted and did not report,again in 2009 when they drafted Brassard and dealt him to Belleville
I think Rayzor meant not having those 1st rder either for trading or developemental purposes
If that's what he meant, fine, but it sounded like he had the "we have no firsts, so we're screwed" mentality. I was just pointing out how valuable our other picks have been in title runs.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
If that's what he meant, fine, but it sounded like he had the "we have no firsts, so we're screwed" mentality. I was just pointing out how valuable our other picks have been in title runs.
It's like legend said it hurts a lot with flexibility. It's not being screwed mentality it just hurts because if the goal is to win championships which it should be if you don't have the flexibility and in the process it forces you to hit on your 2nd and 3rd rounders no more Hunter Smith types.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Ottomatic

When Rychel blasts the team for lack of effort/not caring and claims he's going to make changes and then doesn't make any it gives fans one less reason to go to the games. "Warren says in the paper the players aren't trying hard, why should we pay to watch these guys..."

Also now he says he wants patience in getting the right deal - good luck with that after you spout off to the newspaper.

So other teams know he's painted himself into a corner with his mouth - he needs to make moves or fans will see he's putting out the team he says doesn't give effort and doesn't care, and why would opposing teams want these players who lack work ethic and don't care - they're not going to pay full price for them that's for sure.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
When Rychel blasts the team for lack of effort/not caring and claims he's going to make changes and then doesn't make any it gives fans one less reason to go to the games. "Warren says in the paper the players aren't trying hard, why should we pay to watch these guys..."

Also now he says he wants patience in getting the right deal - good luck with that after you spout off to the newspaper.

So other teams know he's painted himself into a corner with his mouth - he needs to make moves or fans will see he's putting out the team he says doesn't give effort and doesn't care, and why would opposing teams want these players who lack work ethic and don't care - they're not going to pay full price for them that's for sure.
Would you rather he rush into a hasty transaction with little return just so he can save face?

Old
11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:

Truth be told If I were a GM of a team and I saw what WR said about these players I wouldn't want them. Think about it, usually when you have the players that you could take a chance on for a possible boost from the change of scenery, they usually are A) not getting significant ice time or B) working hard but just not producing..these guys are neither theyre not working hard and thyre getting playing time.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

This is all fair. Rychel probably spoke too soon and he was speaking with emotion and not thinking properly. Some of it has to do with the shine being off 2 Memorial Cups now. We as fans can look back on it but it means nothing now in soon to be 2013 when the last championship was in 2010 just as it means nothing the last championship for Owen Sound was 2011. On Friday before the Plymouth game an article was written all but characterizing the season thus far a disappointment and not improving much from this point last year. Boughner and Rychel have been trying to spin things which is the smart thing to do but the results and play on the ice don't lie either.

You have a very good point though when Rychel says the coaches care more than the players why should anybody want to go out and watch the team play? Some have said here they are much better and it's good hockey to watch but when the guy who put the team together states a clear contradiction to what some fans think you usually side with the horses mouth.

I do agree with the responses saying he's backed into a corner but the other side of the coin is the management and coaches have tried everything calling players out, benching players etc.. with minimal pay back from the players. You may get a good game here and there but zero consistency. What makes this time any different, is the team going to go on a 10 game win streak because of what Rychel said? Probably not, Windsor will probably beat Saginaw then lose to Barrie or vice versa and probably lose in OT or a shootout to Owen Sound. It's up to the players to step up but what happens if they just don't have it in them? I think that's the situation they are in and moves need to be made. As the saying goes addition by subtraction this is the point they are at.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Windsor Chief

Quote:

Perhaps the General Manager and the majority owner do not agree on who needs to be moved.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:25 PM
hockeylegend11

I agree Rayzor Rychel spoke out of emotion which does get the best of him often,deals wont be easy to make mainly because their is little sympathy amongst the GMs for Rychel and the Spits plight
From what I understand alot of the GMs are pissed at him because he always tries to win the trade as well as not being shy in reminding them when he does
Trading partners are few and far between
He has some baggage on his hands ie gold edc packs tought to move 2 or 3 of them not sure what he will do
I am also hearing thru the grapeline that some of the players dont know who have grown tiresome of the yelling and have tuned out
Just stating what have heard cant confirm
Still think patience is the order of the day
Next 2 or 3 games should be interesting,a battered up Saginaw team at home,2 more on the road at Barrie and Owen Sd against 20f the best teams in the league

Old
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I agree Rayzor Rychel spoke out of emotion which does get the best of him often,deals wont be easy to make mainly because their is little sympathy amongst the GMs for Rychel and the Spits plight
From what I understand alot of the GMs are pissed at him because he always tries to win the trade as well as not being shy in reminding them when he does
Trading partners are few and far between
He has some baggage on his hands ie gold edc packs tought to move 2 or 3 of them not sure what he will do
I am also hearing thru the grapeline that some of the players dont know who have grown tiresome of the yelling and have tuned out
Just stating what have heard cant confirm
Still think patience is the order of the day
Next 2 or 3 games should be interesting,a battered up Saginaw team at home,2 more on the road at Barrie and Owen Sd against 20f the best teams in the league
How has Ho Sang looked since his sit down?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
How has Ho Sang looked since his sit down?
For a 16 year old the kid is pretty dynamic overall since the benching he has played fairly well though like most of his team mates he has played much better at home.He has 4 pts in his last 5 games played and 10 pts in his last 11 games including 4 goals

Old
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Ottomatic

Ho-Sang was benched for cutting class, it wasn't anything to do with his play on ice.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Several people on this board have stated that the spits may be wasting their time going for it next yr and should do a rebuild now to prepare for 2016/17
I will try after some exhaustive research some of those notions and instead I say stay the course
While this will be quite lengthy,informative I hope,it is my belief once fully read and understood most will agree with a good number of the facts presented
In my view 4 of the 10 Western Conf teams have a legitimate chance next yr to win and possibly the right to host the mem cup
The other 6 do not have much of a chance
I will deal with the contenders 1st
1- Guelph Storm- they built for next year especially upfront with Garlent,Dickenson,Kosmachuk,McGinn,Auger,Fabbri,Be rtuzzi,Milne,backend led by Matt Finn and Leslie,with Bauman,Harpur and Locke returning
In Goal a real question mark Garrett Sparks may be graduated by the Leafs,would not surprise me leaving a major hole
Players leaving are Mchaughton,Beukeboom,probably Pedan and Tanner Richard,
Possible O/as include Zac Mitchell,Horvat,Waitling,Poliziani and most importantly Sparks
2-London Knights- return most of their players except Ferry,Hughes,Baille,along with Scott Harrington and probably Seth Griffith
Big holes to fill on the backend,Patterson and an untested Herbst to handle the goaltending
Possible O/as- Raine,Broadhurst
will need another as Restoule would be dropped
3-Windsor Spitfires- 19 out of the 22 man roster is able to return with 1 93 born goalie J.Pavelka,so 2 more O/A s need to be added,players leaving would be Posa,Schoenmakers, and E.Clark
The Spits will have to make full use of the Euro draft they do have 2 1st rd picks,beat the bushes for a free agent or 2, and make every effort to sign Nick Schmaltz,Evan Allen and Adam Baughman,they will 1 or up to 3 gold pks to dangle probably 2,with no 1st rder because of sanctions they wont have to worry about an automatic gold pkg,thus some flexibility there
Things could fall into place here so have to hope management is with it
4-Owen Sd- The Attack will likely lose J.Binnington,and D Catenacci to grad as well as N.Chairlitti,D.Zweep,and Kevin Cutting,possibly Brace as well meaning 2 of their 4 forwards could be gone,the uncertainty of J Maidens is a concern,despite a solid defence,offence and goaltending may be a concern here dont think they have enough
Possible O/As are K.Hope,Rose and Gabriel
As u all might see all 4 teams have interesting pieces of the puzzle to contend,but at the same time have major holes to fill
With London its defence,replace the scoring of Griffith and making sure of a suitable back up for Patterson,add a O/a that can do something
Guelph has to worry about a starting goalie,bump up the defence with the loss of Pedan and Beubeboom,replace the pts by Richard, and hope Zac Mitchell returns as an O/A
Windsor I believe is set in goal,will need at least 1-2 D men,an O/A here,more offence upfront,an o/a sign Schmaltz/Allen, a productive Euro,improve the overall balance of the forward corps
Owen Sd should they get Binnington,Cameron Brace as O/As,return of health for Maidens,somehow convince Gavrus to come over, tweak the lineup upfront,have a shot,without Binnington and Brace would be the weakest of the 4
In my view Plymouth has to go for it this year,I hear they are interested in Trochek,so is Kitchener,as they stand to lose Noesen,Rackell,Wilson,maybe,Aleardi,Mahalak,Levi Macdonald,Whaley and Karlsson,with Meurs,Croombeen and Malysa the expected overagers
Kitchener as well stands to lose Puempel,Reider,Murphy,Gibson and maybe Faksa,along with their O/as Czinder and Alberga no loss there lol
SSM will lose Cousins,Miller,Sproul,
Schumacher,Alderson,Buonomo,and maybe Broll
Saginaw a young team will lose Ross,Trocheck,Archibald,Shaw,and Sutch,while Eric Locke whom Windsor tried to reaquire this year.along with Young and Strong expected to be the O/As
Sarnia will be gutted too losing Sarault,Galchenyuk,Murphy,Hottot,Anderson,maybe Basso,with Latta Duininck and hopefuuly Basso as their O/as
Erie while young and talented too many holes to fill ,they need 3 or 4 forwards,2-3 def and coaching
A young team on the rise,that only loses Labardo to grad,with DFox,S.Abraham and Jimmy Mcdowell around as their O/As
They need new coaching to take the next step
Well thats a look at next yr as projects to next yr
I really think Windsor belongs in the top 3 re next yr based on projection as it relates to returning players,goaltending, and players lost to graduation
Some teams really take hits with Windsor not being one of them
Plymouth,Sarnia,Owen Sd,SSm and Kitchener will all take major hits
It is not going to be easy,Windsor has alot of work to do,but they have done it before,this time it is much tougher

Closed Thread