HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part VI: Kreiders Underwear is not a Ladies man.

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
It's just that, I have Xbox Live. If I want to play games with my friends, I'll do it online. When we are together, I'd prefer to actually you know......do something.

11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
It's just that, I have Xbox Live. If I want to play games with my friends, I'll do it online. When we are together, I'd prefer to actually you know......do something.
I never have any issues with my friends wanting to take a run at me in Goldeneye on N64 if we're together. Complex + proximity mines and I am unbeatable.

Last game I played v 2 of my friends the scoreboard finished...

Me: 13
A: 1
B: -2

Old
11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Yep. I bought MW and then Black Ops. Since then I haven't touched a COD game. It doesn't help that their PC support is complete trash.
"Consolization" usually marks the beginning of the end for a FPS. It's not a jab at console gamers, it's just that you can't design a game for the PC and then port it effectively to a console or vice-versa. So many studios have tried and failed miserably. They absolutely butchered BF3 for the sake of scalability on consoles. Dumbed down MW2 so it played more like a console game than a PC game. HALO is a Tribes rip-off. You can just tell when firing weapons that the recoil was designed to be controlled with a thumbstick, not a mouse.

Maybe with next-gen consoles things will be different in the graphics department, but I don't care what people say; nothing can touch a mouse and keyboard combo when it comes to the FPS genre. Unfortunately the console market is so massive that the PC crowd is likely going to be shafted for the foreseeable future.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

All I need is my sport console games.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
"Consolization" usually marks the beginning of the end for a FPS. It's not a jab at console gamers, it's just that you can't design a game for the PC and then port it effectively to a console or vice-versa. So many studios have tried and failed miserably. They absolutely butchered BF3 for the sake of scalability on consoles. Dumbed down MW2 so it played more like a console game than a PC game. HALO is a Tribes rip-off. You can just tell when firing weapons that the recoil was designed to be controlled with a thumbstick, not a mouse.

Maybe with next-gen consoles things will be different in the graphics department, but I don't care what people say; nothing can touch a mouse and keyboard combo when it comes to the FPS genre. Unfortunately the console market is so massive that the PC crowd is likely going to be shafted for the foreseeable future.
Agreed 100%. Luckily there are still some PC exclusives out there, but they are somewhat rare. Consolization has pretty much turned the FPS genre into repetitive garbage and has pretty much wiped out the entire RTS genre (with the exception of StarCraft). It's been years since I've found and FPS game that has kept my attention for more than a month or two.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
blue425

Quote:

Great post. Anyone who dares to argue the bolded has never played an FPS on PC.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:35 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Problem is, and please correct me if I'm wrong...is that any good, hell probably not even good, or decent PC gaming system is probably double what an xbox or ps3 are these days.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Problem is, and please correct me if I'm wrong...is that any good, hell probably not even good, or decent PC gaming system is probably double what an xbox or ps3 are these days.
Many console games are built to run at 720p resolution. You could build a PC that could run most games at that resolution for about the price of an Xbox, plus have all of the added benefits of having a real PC -- i.e., expandable storage, upgradable hardware, etc, etc.

Each major console is 5+ generations behind in hardware tech. Sure, bleeding edge technology is at a premium. Hell, a premium video card for a PC today can run you north of $500, but it's vastly superior to what's in an Xbox. Can you imagine the 360 pushing 2560x1440 resolution at 60 Frames-per-second? Not a chance. The issue is that the dated technology of consoles forces extra complexity on game studios, which then increases cost.

The Xbox360 was released almost 8 years ago. That's an insane life-cycle for a personal computer, so why do gamers settle for tech that's nearly a decade behind the times? Not only do they settle, but they regularly dish out $60 for games that would look infinitely better on even a moderately spec'd PC.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
The difference is that you also use your computer for more than just video games. You can spend $600 or so and get a PC that will play most of today's games. Maybe not on ultra settings, but it will get the job done. In today's world you can probably get by with just upgrading your video card once every two or three years without upgrading the rest of your machine. The core of my current PC was built back in 2008 when I graduated college. 4.5 years later all I've done is upgrade the video card and I'm still playing games on high settings.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
The difference is that you also use your computer for more than just video games. You can spend $600 or so and get a PC that will play most of today's games. Maybe not on ultra settings, but it will get the job done. In today's world you can probably get by with just upgrading your video card once every two or three years without upgrading the rest of your machine. The core of my current PC was built back in 2008 when I graduated college. 4.5 years later all I've done is upgrade the video card and I'm still playing games on high settings.
now i love pc gaming and ive wanted to build a gaming rig for years but its easier and cheaper to own a console, plain and simple. i spent 400 dollars on an xbox 6 years ago and havent had to buy anything additional since. most people dont have the money to to build and upgrade their pc's or aren't good with technology and dont want to put the effort into it. the one thing that disappoints me about consoles is that they arent good for RTS games which is my favorite genre. i will be very interested in what the xbox 720 has to offer. it cant come soon enough because the 360 is really becoming outdated.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Massing zerglings. Win.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Haha that's true but it's like playing a board game... playing online is one thing, playing together and having a good time together is another. Just something casual to do that doesn't cost money Most of my friends aren't rolling in cash and bars, clubs, restaurants, movies, entertainment etc. all cost quite a bit.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Massing zerglings. Win.
Crackling.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
now i love pc gaming and ive wanted to build a gaming rig for years but its easier and cheaper to own a console, plain and simple. i spent 400 dollars on an xbox 6 years ago and havent had to buy anything additional since. most people dont have the money to to build and upgrade their pc's or aren't good with technology and dont want to put the effort into it. the one thing that disappoints me about consoles is that they arent good for RTS games which is my favorite genre. i will be very interested in what the xbox 720 has to offer. it cant come soon enough because the 360 is really becoming outdated.
Easier, sure if you're not tech savvy, but cheaper is debatable. You spent $400 on your Xbox, up front, but you've likely also spent several hundred dollars on Xbox Live. Meanwhile I pay $0 per year to play multiplayer games on my PC (cost of my ISP excluded obviously). That initial cost gap decreases each year unless I elect to upgrade my hardware -- which is something a console user doesn't even have the option of doing.

Despite what my last few posts might indicate, I'm not anti-console. I'm a big fan of what the console could be. I just happen to think that it's lagging well behind in the grand scheme of things. I like the experience of gaming on my TV and the simplicity of the user experience, but when it comes to "wow factor" the PC just takes the cake.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Easier, sure if you're not tech savvy, but cheaper is debatable. You spent $400 on your Xbox, up front, but you've likely also spent several hundred dollars on Xbox Live. Meanwhile I pay $0 per year to play multiplayer games on my PC (cost of my ISP excluded obviously). That initial cost gap decreases each year unless I elect to upgrade my hardware -- which is something a console user doesn't even have the option of doing.

Despite what my last few posts might indicate, I'm not anti-console. I'm a big fan of what the console could be. I just happen to think that it's lagging well behind in the grand scheme of things. I like the experience of gaming on my TV and the simplicity of the user experience, but when it comes to "wow factor" the PC just takes the cake.
I didn't know there was such a philosophy to gaming The mods only show up on the OT Thread to hand out detention slips or talk about gaming

Old
11-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I didn't know there was such a philosophy to gaming The mods only show up on the OT Thread to hand out detention slips or talk about gaming
I'm a nerd, but I'm snobby about it.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Haha that's true but it's like playing a board game... playing online is one thing, playing together and having a good time together is another. Just something casual to do that doesn't cost money Most of my friends aren't rolling in cash and bars, clubs, restaurants, movies, entertainment etc. all cost quite a bit.
I'm 18. I can't even get into half of these things, let alone afford them.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

Quote:
I'm 18. I can't even get into half of these things, let alone afford them.
He's Canadian, so he could start doing those things when he was about 10

Old
11-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
He's Canadian, so he could start doing those things when he was about 10
8 if you had your moose license.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:46 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Just saw "Flight"

So meh.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Hodgy OFWG
just had to reupload my English project back to youtube b/c me english teacher is dumbfounded by technology yet he isn't even that old. I would share the vid but I am talking with a high pitched voice b/c I am supposed to be a girl

Old
11-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Hodgy OFWG
and know I have to study for my pre-calc quarterly.. wonderful

Old
11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'