HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Xavier Ouellet (2011, 48th overall, Detroit)

Old
11-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Not Canadian, but for what it is worth I think taking Murphy makes a lot of sense from the larger ice standpoint. His skating ability will be a big thing on that ice surface. I doubt Ouellet doesn't make the team. He always impresses coaches quickly and earns more ice time. He plays a more even game than a lot of the guys being talked about here. He can play a couple different roles and it makes bringing him an easier decision. Almost every year from this point in a couple players drop due to injury. So this back and forth might take care of itself, but I really doubt and not just because I am a Wings fan that they leave XO at home.
I don't think Murphy makes a lot of sense. Yeah, he can skate, but he seems to have a genuine problem with actually accomplishing something when he has the puck. A lot of the time he just seems like he's doing laps around the defense waiting for somebody to help him out.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:12 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
I don't think Murphy makes a lot of sense. Yeah, he can skate, but he seems to have a genuine problem with actually accomplishing something when he has the puck. A lot of the time he just seems like he's doing laps around the defense waiting for somebody to help him out.
Murphy is just EXTREMELY hot and cold. One game he'll look like he has no idea what he is doing with the puck and is just looking to give it away, the other you'll swear it's Mike Green circa 2009 on the ice. He's having an off year on an underachieving Kitchener team, but if he starts to pick it up in the next month, IMO he's a lock for the team. There's not another defender his age on the planet who can do what he do when he's on his game.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Murphy is just EXTREMELY hot and cold. One game he'll look like he has no idea what he is doing with the puck and is just looking to give it away, the other you'll swear it's Mike Green circa 2009 on the ice. He's having an off year on an underachieving Kitchener team, but if he starts to pick it up in the next month, IMO he's a lock for the team. There's not another defender his age on the planet who can do what he do when he's on his game.
I agree with that. When hes on his game hes amazing. I watched him in the playoffs against London last year and he dominated but there are other guys who dont have his consistency issues this year and are producing similar offense.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah and if your number 1 dman isnt producing like he should, thats probably partially the cause for your teams struggles.

In the OHL an offensive dman like Murphy should be producing more then he is right now especially in his 4th year playing. If Murphy isnt producing offensively (which he isnt) what good is he to team Canada when theres plenty of other guys who provide offense.

Murphy is touted as a great offensive guy but hes being out produced by Hamilton, Rielly, Ceci, Ouellet, Rielly and Murrays production is pretty close. So why would Canada take him for his offense when hes a liability in his end and isnt producing like 4 or 5 others in the running for the team are? He'll probably make it because his coach is coaching but I dont think he should
His whole team is underachieving... His partner isn't great.. It certainly isn't helping him..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:45 PM
HTT3*

Choosing Ouellet is definitely a wise choice. He is proving to be a superb all-around defenseman and born leader.

With them having such a hard choice at picking the best top 6 to ice is a good problem to have....

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
His whole team is underachieving... His partner isn't great.. It certainly isn't helping him..
I realize that. But a lot of these players that are making the team have the ability to raise a team up and take control of games to a point where their team doesnt under achieve. I think it shows a bit of Murphys one dimensional play, his team isnt producing all that much offense and he becomes much less noticeable.

Rielly's on a bad team but performing, Hamilton, Ouellet, Harrington will stand out even if they arent producing points, hell even Dumba will go out there and throw a huge momentum changing hit.

All Murphy has is his offense and it hasnt been there yet this year

Old
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I realize that. But a lot of these players that are making the team have the ability to raise a team up and take control of games to a point where their team doesnt under achieve. I think it shows a bit of Murphys one dimensional play, his team isnt producing all that much offense and he becomes much less noticeable.

Rielly's on a bad team but performing, Hamilton, Ouellet, Harrington will stand out even if they arent producing points, hell even Dumba will go out there and throw a huge momentum changing hit.

All Murphy has is his offense and it hasnt been there yet this year
I disagree, he's taking on a bigger defensive role... If he's hot at the right time then he'll make... It helps that Spott is the coach..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I disagree, he's taking on a bigger defensive role... If he's hot at the right time then he'll make... It helps that Spott is the coach..
Good point but his defense is still significantly worse than the others.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Nyquist Explosion
This.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:56 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
This.
Moar

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
He's done extremely well thus far in the WJHC this year. Really one of the biggest surprises from his draft class.

Konnan511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
He's done extremely well thus far in the WJHC this year. Really one of the biggest surprises from his draft class.
yeah I'm really liking his game. Glad to see other people are able to watch him play. Can't wait seeing him in a Wings uniform someday perhaps

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Yeah, I guess now we can see why he made the team despite playing only one intrasquad game in camp.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Right now I think it's between him, Harrington, Yarullin and Trouba for Defenseman of the Tournament

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Right now I think it's between him, Harrington, Yarullin and Trouba for Defenseman of the Tournament
Thats so? That's great!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Townsend Beasley
Mission to Civilize

Bump.

XO has been playing very well. 1 G 2 A in 4 GP so far at WJC. Getting lots of PP/PK time. Helped shut down Yakupov last game.

Doesnt strike me as the most dynamic d-man, but hes the type of player you need if you wanna win.

Townsend Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
Love Ouellet... But if he makes it... It will be as a 7th Dmen...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Can't really blame him. Ouellet has surprised a ton of people including me and other Wings' fans. He's really progressing nicely and now I think he can be our future #1, while before I thought his ceiling was a good #2.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:12 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Hat-trick tonight for Armada's captain. Leading his team to a victory and a 2-2 series tie after the whole fiasco with Matteau. That's 4 goals and an assist for XO in the past two games.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Hat-trick tonight for Armada's captain. Leading his team to a victory and a 2-2 series tie after the whole fiasco with Matteau. That's 4 goals and an assist for XO in the past two games.
He picked up a pass in the offensive zone, quickly deked out a Drakkar player and roofed a clapper glove-side. No chance for Cadorette. Amazing game by Xavier Ouellet, what a captain!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:01 AM
newfy

Seemed to cool down offensively after the world juniors but is really racking up points these playoffs when it matters most

Old
04-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Any opinions on how long he'll be in the AHL before seeing the big club?

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Any opinions on how long he'll be in the AHL before seeing the big club?
I still think he only spends one season in the AHL. I know people will say the Wings never do this, but the guy is just about NHL ready. They are going to have trouble holding him back because he is also so trustworthy for a coach. He will arrive before Sproul in Detroit in my opinion.

Newfy: I wonder how much his ankle problem was hurting his play, didn't seem to jump up as much into the play while that was going on.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I still think he only spends one season in the AHL. I know people will say the Wings never do this, but the guy is just about NHL ready. They are going to have trouble holding him back because he is also so trustworthy for a coach. He will arrive before Sproul in Detroit in my opinion.

Newfy: I wonder how much his ankle problem was hurting his play, didn't seem to jump up as much into the play while that was going on.
I agree with the first part. His polished play and solid size seems to me like he'll be a one year AHL guy or maybe 2 with several call ups in his second year. The wings are going with youth on the D already and they hadnt even really drafted many dmen until the draft where they took Ouellet and Sproul.

For the last part I dont think it was his ankle. He played great at the world juniors and sat out a good chunk of time before that. I doubt it lingered that long. It probably has to do with him being used in a different role after the trade deadline

Old
04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
bsmith14

My guess is Ouellet spends a full season next year in the AHL and then starts the 2014-2015 season with the Wings. If there ever was a time to crack the Wings d corps in the last 10 years it is now. I think Detroit is going to draft another defenseman (Hagg, Mueller, Ristolainen, Morrissey) with their first.

Kronwall
Kindl
Ericsson
Smith
Ouellet
Sproul
Hagg

Not a bad future

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote