HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIII: The name is Cameranesi. Tony Cameranesi.

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 09:23 PM
VanW27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Any guesses at what Canadas WJC defense corps will look like in December? I'd imagine Rielly, Murphy, Hamilton, Murray, and Harrington are locks. But what about Dumba, Reinhart, Pouliot, Ceci, Finn etc? Any chances for youngsters Pulock and Jones?
You pretty much have it, Ouellet is pretty close to a lock which gives your top 6. 7th guy probably comes down to Reinhart or Dumba.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Any guesses at what Canadas WJC defense corps will look like in December? I'd imagine Rielly, Murphy, Hamilton, Murray, and Harrington are locks. But what about Dumba, Reinhart, Pouliot, Ceci, Finn etc? Any chances for youngsters Pulock and Jones?
percy is closer than finn.

but imo this is what the lines will look like:

murray-murphy (played together in the russia vs canada series)
rielly-hamilton
harrington-ouellet
rienhart

Old
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
I know its early, very early, but people like to crap on Morrison. Pre-Burke, he drafted some decent NHLers in Kulemin, Stalberg and Gunnarsson. Even Tlusty is serviceable. But I also like the way he has selected the past two years. Guys like Leivo, Brown, Cameranasi and Toninato, who yes, have proved nothing yet, but all look very promising. Morrison spoke of the untapped offensive potential in those four and it seems he's on to something.
In years past for as long as we can all remember guys like the ones you mentioned were not developed properly - we may not see any them in the NHL for 5-6 years (Leivo maybe sooner) but that is what has worked for teams like Detroit.

Then have 4-5 guys like that every draft year and just keep letting them develop

One overlooked aspect of all this is these guys need the right mentors, training, guidance in the off-seasons between now and then to keep them focused and improving.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Edbleafs

Quote:
jones? you mean seth jones? he is an american not canadian

Old
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
jones? you mean seth jones? he is an american not canadian
My mistake. Any chances for Jones to make the US world junior team?

Old
11-13-2012, 09:32 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
My mistake. Any chances for Jones to make the US world junior team?
I'd say it's a guarantee.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Throw Ryan Pulock in conversation for Team Canada WJ defense. Kid is a studddd.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:47 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Throw Ryan Pulock in conversation for Team Canada WJ defense. Kid is a studddd.
The only way he has a realistic chance of making the team is if there's no more NHL lockout. Even with a couple injuries on the backend, they'll have a couple guys infront of him.

The depth of the defense is just too good for him to make it.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

I was doing some research on Toninato and he has a pretty nice resume. He was captain of his Minesotta high school team in his last year when the team was ranked #1 in the state and he was considered the best player in the league. The team went 27-1 in his final season. Minesotta has a massive following for high-school hockey. They sell out every game in the state championship tournament which his team was ranked #1 once again, however all top 4 seeds were eliminated early because the tournament matched them up against each other. The year prior in which Toninato was again a top player finished second. Anyway, he has moved into the USHL quite nicely and looks like he could be a great sleeper. He did not look out of place at all in rookie camp producing a couple of goals in a couple of games.

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka: 11-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I was doing some research on Toninato and he has a pretty nice resume. He was captain of his Minesotta high school team in his last year when the team was ranked #1 in the state and he was considered the best player in the league. The team went 27-1 in his final season. Minesotta has a massive following for high-school hockey. They sell out every game in the state championship tournament which his team was ranked #1 once again, however all top 4 seeds were eliminated early because the tournament matched them up against each other. The year prior in which Toninato was again a top player finished second. Anyway, he has moved into the USHL quite nicely and looks like he could be a great sleeper. He did not look out of place at all in rookie camp producing a couple of goals in a couple of games.
Another good Leafs late sleeper pick of the 2012 draft . Him, Reilly, Matt Finn and Connor Brown have had great seasons so far. I said this before..one of the best drafts the Leafs have had in a long time.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I forget which scouting service it was, but they called it on draft day that he'd be a big time steal in a few years. Might have been hockey prospect.com

11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
How does he play? Is he more of the speedy talented (somewhat small) guy? Or someone who plays bigger than he is and is just an absolute force?

Regardless of his play, if he has a knack for scoring goals and getting points he could make the jump to the NHL maybe one day.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Edbleafs

wow did you guys aware the marlies are up 4-0 against okc all star

Old
11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
How does he play? Is he more of the speedy talented (somewhat small) guy? Or someone who plays bigger than he is and is just an absolute force?

Regardless of his play, if he has a knack for scoring goals and getting points he could make the jump to the NHL maybe one day.
Toninato? He's 6'2, but very lanky at about 170lbs. He's one of those guys that will need to mature into his frame and get stronger - which should only make him a better player. An ideal candidate for the NCAA (IMO) as we won't have to worry about signing him until he's completed his 4 years (if they don't want to pull him out of school earlier - although the Leafs usually leave it up to the kid to decide what he wants).

Cameranesi is the small, speedy forward who's playing his first season for Duluth in the NCAA. Doing very well so far too from what I've read.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Toninato? He's 6'2, but very lanky at about 170lbs. He's one of those guys that will need to mature into his frame and get stronger - which should only make him a better player. An ideal candidate for the NCAA (IMO) as we won't have to worry about signing him until he's completed his 4 years (if they don't want to pull him out of school earlier - although the Leafs usually leave it up to the kid to decide what he wants).

Cameranesi is the small, speedy forward who's playing his first season for Duluth in the NCAA. Doing very well so far too from what I've read.
Oh 6'2 now?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...inic-toninato/

That has him as 6'0 and was assuming he hadn't grown since. 6'2 is decent sized if he can pick up his weight more.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:21 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Oh 6'2 now?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...inic-toninato/

That has him as 6'0 and was assuming he hadn't grown since. 6'2 is decent sized if he can pick up his weight more.
I'll make a note of it to the editor. Not sure why he's listed at that, could be a fault on my part from the original draft day article.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=122004

Old
11-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Edbleafs

http://www.collegehockeyprospective....inic-toninato/

he is high risk, high reward type pick i glad the leafs take the risk to pick him i hope he workout for us

Old
11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I forget which scouting service it was, but they called it on draft day that he'd be a big time steal in a few years. Might have been hockey prospect.com
I thought i heard that on draft day... Regardless hes a very intriguing prospect. When i watched him at prospect camp he definitely stood out at times (even as underdevloped as he is). Seems like a player that has a very high hockey IQ and makes the best of whatever his situation. Also glad that our project players are well out of the Toronto spotlight. They can develop without any of the unecessary media pressure kinda like Frattin (who could have had an even more disastrous journey). Only really started hearing about him when things started to turn around.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

http://fargoforce.com/blog/toninato-...-at-the-title/

Was just reading through this article and they were talking about players that played on his line in high-school. They were also drafted into the USHL right around when he was in their respective draft years. None of the players have had as much success as he has.

Trevor Olson was drafted 194th overall in the USHL Entry Draft by Green Bay

2011-2012 = 7gp 0G 0A 9PIM -2
2012-2013 = 14GP 2G 4A 6pts +/- 0

Jake Randolph, Toninato’s other linemate, scored 52 points last season and was selected 206th in the USHL Entry Draft by Omaha

2012 - 2013 = 15gp 1g 7a 8pts 4PIM -3

Dominic Toninato 14th round pick (204th overall)

2012-2013 = 15gp 6g 13a 19pts 12PIM +8

Obviously the other two guys went undrafted in the NHL. However it seems like a steal for Fargo and Toronto.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
The only way he has a realistic chance of making the team is if there's no more NHL lockout. Even with a couple injuries on the backend, they'll have a couple guys infront of him.

The depth of the defense is just too good for him to make it.
You're probably right, but I'd argue he's just as good as most of those guys. For example, Ryan Murphy is out of this world offensively, but defensively is below-average. He's essential because he can work with guys like Murray/Harrington so well.

I guess Pulock will get his knock on the door next year. He's got a bright future.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
http://www.collegehockeyprospective....inic-toninato/

he is high risk, high reward type pick i glad the leafs take the risk to pick him i hope he workout for us
No risk at all for Toninato really.... He was a 5th round pick.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:16 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Liked what I saw outta Leivo yesterday. In sud he shoots more, but here he seemed more focused on two way play and solid cycling.

He played good, but I was really impressed how he could be suited so well in a non scoring role(Always knew he was good defensively). Really really like this kid. I see a maybe 2nd line/3rd line tweener if he hits his potential.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29 View Post
Liked what I saw outta Leivo yesterday. In sud he shoots more, but here he seemed more focused on two way play and solid cycling.

He played good, but I was really impressed how he could be suited so well in a non scoring role(Always knew he was good defensively). Really really like this kid. I see a maybe 2nd line/3rd line tweener if he hits his potential.
He seems like he'll end up being a similar player to Frattin if he ever puts it all together -- a decent 3rd liner that can do a bit of everything and maybe see a little spot duty on the 2nd line if an injury comes up.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Peasy
All In The Game Yo

vCash: 485
Whos ready to watch some Morgan Rielly tomorrow and thursday night?

Old
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
No risk at all for Toninato really.... He was a 5th round pick.
Great thing about Toninato and Cameranesi is we have 5 years to let them develop out of the spotlight and without having to worry about giving them a contract.

I think you'll see more late picks from the high school ranks and fewer from the lower level European leagues now that European players rights are only held for 2 years. For long-term project picks 2 years isn't enough time to really evaluate them. For example the Leafs were still interested in Olden and plan on keeping an eye on him but he hadn't progressed enough to earn a contract.

Closed Thread