HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Modern hockey or hockey of eighties

View Poll Results: Which hockey would you prefer?
Hockey of eighties 26 33.77%
Modern hockey 51 66.23%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

Here's George Hainsworth and his "pads"

Here's Billy Smith and his pads which are double the size.

One of these men had 22 shutouts in a season. One of them had 22 shutouts in his career.

Clearly pad size is the reason goalies in the 80's had crappy numbers, it wouldn't be because most of them sucked or anything like that.
Not that I'm saying that Billy Smith was some kind of paragon of the position, but comparing him to Hainsworth, who played his entire career in an NHL era where the forward pass was not legal, is really unfair.

As for the question in the OP: I'm a Devils fan, which do you think I prefer?

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Not that I'm saying that Billy Smith was some kind of paragon of the position, but comparing him to Hainsworth, who played his entire career in an NHL era where the forward pass was not legal, is really unfair.
The forward pass was legal in two zones after Hainsworth's rookie season. He played 7 years after it was legal in all 3 zones.

But it's not just Hainsworth. Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, Dryden, Parent...Smith can't touch those guys.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
The forward pass was legal in two zones after Hainsworth's rookie season. He played 7 years after it was legal in all 3 zones.

But it's not just Hainsworth. Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, Dryden, Parent...Smith can't touch those guys.
To be fair, the playoffs were Smith's forte. He was a platoon regular season goalie.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Orrthebest

I have been watching the NHL since the early 70'ies and I think the last few years have been the most exciting I have seen.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:20 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
That's a lame excuse used to give the dark age of goaltending a free pass. Goalies from the 20's-60's and into the 70's wore even smaller equipment and gave up far less goals than Smith, Fuhr, or other goalies from the 80's.
Well you must be one of those guys that must think that Grant Fuhr also sucked because of his 3,38 GA and his .887 SA%

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Career .882 save percentage and he was considered one of the very best of his era. Thanks for proving my point.
Also i would like to know how you came up with this so called Career .882 save percentage since his SA % is only listed from the last 5 seasons he played from age 33-38 which was well passed his prime.
Maybe if you had seen him play instead of using stats that were taken well after his prime you would have seen how great he was.
Another stat chaser.

Last edited by mytor4*: 11-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

I liked the 80's better. Better flow to the game, more creativity, stuff like that. Now it's all about coaches systems, and I think hockey is too fast now. A lot of it I think goes with what era you grew up watching as well.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:09 AM
topchowda

Modern goalies. 80's goalie looked horrid playing 6 feet out and flailing every shot. But 80's players had grit

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:32 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
i think a lot of the supposed "routine" saves that goalies make nowadays are basically pucks hitting parts of their gear where otherwise it would have slipped through into the net. Next time you hear doc call "and he FOUGHT OFF THE SHOT" it means that the goalie was basically lucky, compare that to those goalies in the 80s who had to play aggressively because they didnt by definition completely block the area they were standing on

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Right now, I'd prefer modern. The '80s were great and all, but the style of hockey seems less refined than it is now. The game is more challenging as a whole now than it was then, imo.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:48 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Hockey of the 80s, if only for Mario and Gretz.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Well you must be one of those guys that must think that Grant Fuhr also sucked because of his 3,38 GA and his .887 SA%
Smith and Fuhr were very good goaltenders, nothing more, nothing less.

They are considered legends only because they had absolutely no competition at the goaltending position when they played.

Put them into today's game and they'd be starters for sure and very good ones at that, but they wouldn't even come close to defining the decade the way Smith and Fuhr define goaltending in the 80's.

We're talking about a decade where goalies would be seen literally jumping over shots. It was like watching cartoons. You can make whatever excuse you want. Goaltending in the 80's in general was comically bad.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:44 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Smith and Fuhr were very good goaltenders, nothing more, nothing less.

They are considered legends only because they had absolutely no competition at the goaltending position when they played.

Put them into today's game and they'd be starters for sure and very good ones at that, but they wouldn't even come close to defining the decade the way Smith and Fuhr define goaltending in the 80's.

We're talking about a decade where goalies would be seen literally jumping over shots. It was like watching cartoons. You can make whatever excuse you want. Goaltending in the 80's in general was comically bad.
I still waiting on how you come up with the Smith Career .882 save percentage B.S you spewing on about in this thread.If your going to use Stats to defend your opinion at least try to be a little acurate on the Stats you bring up instead of using untrue stats just to defend your position.

Last edited by mytor4*: 11-14-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
I liked the 80's better. Better flow to the game, more creativity, stuff like that. Now it's all about coaches systems, and I think hockey is too fast now. A lot of it I think goes with what era you grew up watching as well.
I think this is what makes this poll pretty meaningless. All the kids and new fans are going to say modern hockey, while the older guys will prefer the 80's because of nostalgia

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

I'd prefer for hockey to open up a bit more and have a little higher scores, but if that isn't possible i'd take today's game. 80s were a little too ridiculous for my liking.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

I wasnt born in the 80s and only watched highlights from the game back then but I think if I had watched both 80s hockey and modern hockey I think I'd like modern hockey more. I love watching great goaltending and no question about it, modern hockey is filled with it.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:44 PM
bp spec

Wasn't around during the 80's, but I love the current style of hockey.
Modern it is.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I still waiting on how you come up with the Smith Career .882 save percentage B.S you spewing on about in this thread.If your going to use Stats to defend your opinion at least try to be a little acurate on the Stats you bring up instead of using untrue stats just to defend your position.
Save percentage wasn't around for his whole career but it was around. He posted an .882.

I don't see what's BS or untrue about that.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Save percentage wasn't around for his whole career but it was around. He posted an .882.

I don't see what's BS or untrue about that.
Well, in fairness, SV% has only been recorded since Smith was 33 years old, and cuts off all four of his Cup-winning years (as well as his mid-20s, which are typically "prime" years), so... paired with the fact that his GAA was almost a goal lower in every one of those years, I wouldn't be surprised if his SV% during that time was actually much better than 0.882. Which is to say, "Smith's career SV% is 0.882" is "BS", and "untrue".

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
DanZ

I prefer not to watch goalies that look like dumbasses half the time. A Kovalchuk snipe nowadays is far more impressive to me than a Gretzky slapper from the blueline in the 80s.

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
I prefer not to watch goalies that look like dumbasses half the time. A Kovalchuk snipe nowadays is far more impressive to me than a Gretzky slapper from the blueline in the 80s.
Goalies had to move around water-soaked leather gear back then. The change was immediately perceptible, and didn't change over generations. Watch some old games, and look at the difference between how guys like Moog, Lemelin, and Roy move around as late as the late 80s, and then instantly in '90/91, guys like Belfour look completely different moving around in bigger gear made from lighter but stronger, artificial materials (particularly the chest protector, although everyone goes on about the leg pads). It was so much of an advantage that Roy, who still kicked ass in the 80s rocking leather everything, reluctantly made the move to those Kohos in the early '90s, but was sure to keep up with innovations from that time onward (almost yearly pad changes as improvements to goalie equipment became fast and furious).

Goalies stood up a lot more in the 80 because it still hurt like hell to take a puck in the helmet or chest protector in those days, btw. Goalies these days could probably safely de-mine the entire stretch from Kandahar to Baghdad wearing what they have now, so of course they move around without any concern for "self-preservation".

Of course, none of that explanation changes how it looked to you while watching, but sometimes appreciation for the situation makes something that looks "inferior" more enjoyable.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Lacaar

Goaltending may have been worse in the 80's but it was a hell of a lot more entertaining.
They actually had to move and react to the puck back then.

Now days it's "Assume the Position" and hope the puck hits you providing it gets through the 2-3 teammates trying to block it because they wear their own version of goalie equipment.

Perhaps it's because the players shoot much harder.. do they all shoot harder than Macinnis though?

As an Oiler fan I'd literally crap a brick when he wound up for his point shot.
Now days I don't worry about point shots because if they go in it's most likely off 2-3 players. It's become such a non factor the wrist shot comes more into play. Gone will be the days of the cannons on the point.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
MessierII

Goaltending wasn't worse. Equipment was smaller, thinner and harder to move around in. The talent level was no different. Patrick Roy dominated the 80's just as he did into the 2000's.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
I'd prefer for hockey to open up a bit more and have a little higher scores, but if that isn't possible i'd take today's game. 80s were a little too ridiculous for my liking.
I agree, hockey now has to find that middle ground between 80's high scoring hockey and modern defensive hockey.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
MessierII

The best part about the 80's was the rivalries which was mostly due to the playoff structure which I prefer. I hope they get back to this with that re alignment.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote